Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anna Wintour- Will she finally be fired??

Very, very interesting article.

And the standout? (if you don't have subscription)

Grace Coddington denies making a racist remark... and the NYT then shows a picture of her in her kitchen with "Mammie/Aunt Jemima figurines behind her) Its shade like I have never seen.. And a picture is worth a thousand words.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 25, 2020 11:51 PM

Copy and paste the article if you expect people to discuss it.

by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2020 10:56 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2020 10:58 PM

Age 70 it's time to go anyway for God's sake.

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2020 10:59 PM

She's a Trump fan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2020 11:10 PM

What r3 said. These Boomers just want to hang around forever, it's time to GO.

by Anonymousreply 5October 24, 2020 11:23 PM

The woman is a creature, she should be sprayed with Raid then swept into the trash.

by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2020 11:30 PM

The article seems to assert that fashion is white/euro supremacist and at the same time anything incorporated from outside of that (gold teeth????) is considered cultural appropriation. Got it. Business is hard. Fashion, entertainment industries are harsh. But now, what is considered professionalism and business acumen is "racist."

by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2020 11:33 PM

R7- That is where I am torn, actually.. The article really made me think. Do I think Anna is racist? No. Do I think she doesn't give a FUCK? Yes. Do I think she should be fired? 50/50...

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2020 11:40 PM

She’s a terrible person.

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 12:05 AM

She's not that bad. She's been there too long. Gurl, byee!

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 12:08 AM

How quickly we forget that Anna put the first black model in Vogue's history on the cover--I think it was her first cover when she took over.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 12:11 AM

So who should replace her? Who would be qualified? The NYTimes article mentions no one except those claiming "RACIST!".

If she goes, Vogue will go the way of Vanity Fair.

by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2020 12:23 AM

R11 Actually, no she didn't put the first black model on the cover of Vogue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2020 12:26 AM

Great cover lines, Grace.

"What you wear with what"

"Your makeup"

"Your hair"

Revolutionary.

by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2020 12:27 AM

I read the article this morning, and it WAS shady. I was saying to myself, damn who wants her out bad? It was basically a hit piece! I think Vogue's relevance is waning.....

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2020 12:32 AM

So black people are now immensely overrepresented both on staff and on the covers, and it still isn't enough? I can only imagine that readership must be way down. What a farce.

by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2020 12:43 AM

[quote]So black people are now immensely overrepresented both on staff and on the covers, and it still isn't enough?

It will never, ever be enough.

by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2020 12:48 AM

[quote] How quickly we forget that Anna put the first black model in Vogue's history on the cover--I think it was her first cover when she took over.

That was Grace Mirabella dear.

by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2020 12:53 AM

This is the latest cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2020 12:55 AM

OMG ^

by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2020 12:56 AM

R14 Likewise, dear.

The only cover line missing is "Arkitekt Whore"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 25, 2020 12:58 AM

Why does every form of media have to be political now? Can't Vogue just be Vogue? We don't need fatassed woke women and politics on the cover.

by Anonymousreply 22October 25, 2020 1:01 AM

"So black people are now immensely overrepresented both on staff and on the covers, and it still isn't enough? I can only imagine that readership must be way down. What a farce."

It is a farce that you cite your imagination as a source of facts.

Meanwhile, this "immense overrepresentation on the staff and covers" in the last few months is supposed to be more than enough to counterbalance years of racism and exclusion? And now it's supposed to return to racism as usual for the likes of you?

Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 23October 25, 2020 1:05 AM

I guess Vogue is supposed to be about everything except fashion these days.

by Anonymousreply 24October 25, 2020 1:30 AM

R24 These days?

Another hit from Anna!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 25, 2020 1:39 AM

Everybody who made that movie about her should be blacklisted from Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 26October 25, 2020 1:52 AM

R25 Ivanka looks identical to Ivana in that pic

by Anonymousreply 27October 25, 2020 1:56 AM

r25 Ivana was a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 28October 25, 2020 1:57 AM

R25 That looks like a traditional Vogue cover. Once upon a time, a long time ago, Ivana was an major celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 29October 25, 2020 2:01 AM

R29 The point is there's NOTHING fashion about it.

by Anonymousreply 30October 25, 2020 2:05 AM

R30 You're wrong.

Read the text on the Ivana cover and compare it to the text on the Lizzo cover.

The Ivana cover is about fashion. The Lizzo cover is about politics.

by Anonymousreply 31October 25, 2020 2:13 AM

We had a recent thread about the New Woke Vanity Fair and it had some good comments about how it just doesn't fit VF's image or demographic.

by Anonymousreply 32October 25, 2020 2:19 AM

[quote] The point is there's NOTHING fashion about it.

R30 must be legally blind.

SUMMER FASHION SPECIAL

Cool whites

Hot Prints

Dress for Less: Sporting Chic

Ivana’s Trump’s Winning Style

by Anonymousreply 33October 25, 2020 2:27 AM

[quote] "Mammie/Aunt Jemima figurines

These figurines and cookie jars are highly collectible especially in the AA community. They have been for over 30 years. They are not considered symbols of racism.

by Anonymousreply 34October 25, 2020 3:52 AM

[quote] I read the article this morning, and it WAS shady. I was saying to myself, damn who wants her out bad? It was basically a hit piece! I think Vogue's relevance is waning.....

Isn't she also getting divorced. People smell blood in the water and want her gone. It's probably Conde Naste itself. She's expensive and could be replaced with someone a lot cheaper if all Vogue is going to do is publish Kardashian-style trash.

by Anonymousreply 35October 25, 2020 3:57 AM

Some of the NYT comments look like they came straight from here:

[italic] The pandemic has illuminated many things about my life, and one has been fashion. I've discovered it is about how it feels on my body, and not how it looks. My robes and caftans are beyond fantastic, and as a male friend once said to me decades ago "Life is far too short not to feel the brush of silk against one's skin."[/italic]

[italic] I never met such an coagulation of self absorbed, vacuous, and marginally talented people in any other field. The amount of hot air emanating from the Pret-a porter could send a Montgolfier to Mars. But, not to be too negative, the post-pandemic world should always be grateful for fashion's signature gesture: the air kiss.[/italic]

[italic]Vogue died when they fired Diana Vreeland.[/italic]

[italic]I haven't read Vogue in 30 years and it's mainly because of Ms. Wintour. I find her reprehensible. She is 70 years old and about 40 years out of touch. The woman should be fired and a younger person hired, someone of this generation. Better yet, Vogue should cease publication. It is no longer needed.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 36October 25, 2020 4:28 AM

[quote]Meanwhile, this "immense overrepresentation on the staff and covers" in the last few months is supposed to be more than enough to counterbalance years of racism and exclusion?

So that's the real aim, isn't it R23? Whitey must be cast into the same position that blacks used to be in. A voiceless minority. Only then will justice have been achieved. Reality check - it's not going to work, because white people will simply stop reading Vogue, and watching the Oscars, and every other entreprise that blacks guilt trip their way into. They will start new ventures, make them popular, and then the circle will start all over again.

by Anonymousreply 37October 25, 2020 10:51 AM

I think Edward Enninful (British Vogue's Editor in Chief) will take over when Anna finally steps down. He is certainly lobbying hard for the position behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 38October 25, 2020 11:06 AM

Wintour is 70

As per the article, her two top lieutenants, Posnick and Coddington are 78 and 79, respectively.

So Vogue is not the US Senate.

by Anonymousreply 39October 25, 2020 11:28 AM

^^So Vogue is now the US Senate.

by Anonymousreply 40October 25, 2020 11:29 AM

Modern Conde isn’t Conde without Anna. It is what separates it from Hearst and Meredith which both have zero mystique. This hit piece will be lining bird cages tomorrow and the Neuhouse family will shrug it off. She is the golden goose that keeps delivering. Period, end of story. The amount of power she wields is extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 41October 25, 2020 11:49 AM

Those hideous citrine and amethyst necklaces have got to go.

by Anonymousreply 42October 25, 2020 11:51 AM

Wasn't able to get to the article, but it was only a few weeks ago that she butted into the Bon Appetit situation by demanding everyone involved stop publicly demanding equal pay for all on-air talent.

In return, almost everyone quit except for the three most irritating personalities. Their new videos are getting a fraction of the views and the videos they did before the scandal erupted are now packed full of ads because they've lost all the ad revenue they were getting a few months ago.

Yet people claim she and Conde Nast as a whole are the best at their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 43October 25, 2020 12:05 PM

When did it become impossible for rich white arty people to hold on to their now valuable Black Americana collections? When they were collected in the 70s and 80s, it was fine. Do whites have to sell them or donate to museums? What? Be specific.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 25, 2020 12:06 PM

[quote]These figurines and cookie jars are highly collectible especially in the AA community. They have been for over 30 years. They are not considered symbols of racism.

They ARE highly collectible and they ARE considered symbols of racism.

by Anonymousreply 45October 25, 2020 12:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 25, 2020 12:07 PM

These people describe every crude print as "tribal" and have rechristened the accurate and hideous colour "beige" as the decidedly sexier "nude". Of course they collect lawn jockeys. Like Princess Michael Of Kent, Grace Coddington thinks she's being cheeky and ironic.

by Anonymousreply 47October 25, 2020 12:14 PM

Princess Michael Of Kent isn't being ironic. A luxurious blackamoor objet was a trapping of the European gotha for centuries. These were not industrial items marketed to the masses. So a blackamoor is not the same as a Mammy cookie jar. Princess Michael of Kent knows a blackamoor is now tabu to the masses, BUT it she is not upgrading kitsch.

by Anonymousreply 48October 25, 2020 12:19 PM

Margaret with her 2 blackamoors.

Yes Mammy jars and Blackamoors are symbols of racism, no they are not the same and not used to collectors to signify the same thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 25, 2020 12:22 PM

[quote]Princess Michael Of Kent isn't being ironic.

She was being ironic wearing it when she wore it. Velly, velly British humour.

by Anonymousreply 50October 25, 2020 12:25 PM

Ironic? I think she was being a CUNT. Not the same.

by Anonymousreply 51October 25, 2020 12:27 PM

One clarification: Anna is NOT a Trump fan. Her name can be found on any list of notable Biden/Harris supporters.

by Anonymousreply 52October 25, 2020 12:28 PM

R34. I will bet you a trillion dollars that it is.

These two racist human tendons have been dictating what people wore for the past thirty years. They’ve Karened the fashion industry for so long they’ve actually damaged it, while kicking everyone with real vision and ability to the curb.

by Anonymousreply 53October 25, 2020 12:33 PM

r53 that's quite true. A bland, patrician, "Old Hollywood" obsessed duo. Vogue Italia and Vogue Paris are long more creative and elegant and cutting edge.

by Anonymousreply 54October 25, 2020 12:55 PM

The entire Vogue empire is in a sad state.

While admittedly Anna's done an impressive job of building Vogue's online presence, the magazine's visual decline began when it became so celebrity-focused and its A-list roster of photographers either died - Herb Ritts, Helmut Newton,Irving Penn - or left, in the case of Steven Meisel (why would you waste his time photographing the likes of Renee Zellwegger and Claire Danes?!).

British Vogue under Edward Enninful is insufferable and Vogue Italia is an absolute embarrassment since the death of Franca Sozzani. Only Vogue Paris remains relevant because it's indifferent to the political spasms of the current movement.

by Anonymousreply 55October 25, 2020 4:14 PM

Meh. Vogue's Youtube content sucks. Why hasn't it created a way to really use Instagram and TikTok, etc, for fashion editorial and for the profit of fashion business? Wintour is a dinosaur.

by Anonymousreply 56October 25, 2020 4:16 PM

Boomers don't understand current technology and are lost with social media.

by Anonymousreply 57October 25, 2020 4:23 PM

R55 Oh yes, I forgot about the disaster who took over for Franca at Vogue Italia. I miss those iconic Steven Meisel covers.

by Anonymousreply 58October 25, 2020 5:20 PM

Who cares? I’m over it. Come at me lol!

by Anonymousreply 59October 25, 2020 5:49 PM

If they force her out before she is good and ready she will take everyone down with her, including members of the Newhouse family. Ol Uncle Si is not around anymore, leaving her without her original champion, but he's also no longer around to stem family infighting and prevent total fallout.

His absence is a sword that...cuts both ways.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 25, 2020 5:57 PM

Vogue's 73 questions videos are such an embarrassment, so awkward and yet they have provided my friends and I with endless amusement at the same time. Posh Spice? Nicole Kidman in a cowboy hat ("G'day mate, welcome to Australia!")? Bwahahaha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 25, 2020 10:19 PM

I think AW was correct to turn to actresses and A celebrities for the Vogue covers. I don’t think she liked it much but it sold magazines which is the bottom line.

by Anonymousreply 62October 25, 2020 10:28 PM

As Grace said in the September Issue, "If the magazine doesn't sell, I'm out of a job."

Does anyone think a French-style Vogue would sell to an American audience?

by Anonymousreply 63October 25, 2020 11:10 PM

Nothing’s going to change until there are protests outside the building that are picked up by the media.

by Anonymousreply 64October 25, 2020 11:38 PM

Protests over what, R64?

by Anonymousreply 65October 25, 2020 11:49 PM

[quote] As per the article, her two top lieutenants, Posnick and Coddington are 78 and 79, respectively.

Coddington hasn't been at Vogue since 2016.

by Anonymousreply 66October 25, 2020 11:51 PM

Protests against what? The whole article is a writer cobbling together some imagined racial slights by the few remaining white staffers. Oh, someone wrote something positive about a Kardashian emulating her black boyfriend by wearing gold teeth. Shock, horror, racism!!!

by Anonymousreply 67October 25, 2020 11:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!