Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone here see the original "Carrie" in the theater?

I've heard the ending so scared people that you'd hear like a wall of sound come from the theater since the scream was so loud.

by Anonymousreply 32October 25, 2020 4:46 AM

I was 17 when that movie came out and I worked at a movie theater that showed it. I was an usher so I was responsible for opening the doors right when the closing credits started to roll.

We knew the credits were about to roll during Carrie because of the scream.

by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2020 4:46 AM

I don't remember any screaming.

by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2020 4:49 AM

I saw if. You bet. I screamed too. Or more like a manly Aughhh. Not so much from fear, than shock and surprise.

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2020 4:49 AM

I laughed at that ending. Laughed I tell you! The whole movie was one big camp fest.

by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2020 4:52 AM

I saw the Exorcist when it first came out. I suppose it’s tame by today’s standards, but people were freaking out in the theater. I’ve never seen anything like it before or since. People were passing out, throwing up. According to Linda Blair it was all she and the other actors could do during production not to laugh. It was a very fun loose set.

by Anonymousreply 5October 24, 2020 4:53 AM

I screamed and jumped out of my seat at the end of Carrie. Had nightmares too . Several movies from that period terrified me - Jaws (the shark popping up), Dressed to Kill (the elevator scene), and The Shining (all of it).

by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2020 5:04 AM

Carrie was a hoot! Everyone rooted for her when she set the gym on fire, and of course when Nancy and John's characters died in the flipped car.

I saw 'Jaws' with my sister and her pals, and Jenny, her BBF sat next to me. At one of the shark's abrupt entrances, she grabbed my hand and cut it with her fingernail! It drew blood. We laughed about it later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2020 5:25 AM

is this the one with Barbara Cook?

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2020 5:30 AM

that was the musical r8 I'm asking about the movie.

(Betty Buckley replaced Cook for Broadway after Cook quite after the Stratford UK run)

by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2020 6:09 AM

quit^^^

by Anonymousreply 10October 24, 2020 6:10 AM

My poor sister was named Carrie, and born in 1970. She would have liked to have had Sissy's powers.

by Anonymousreply 11October 24, 2020 6:12 AM

I saw it at the drive-in, so the effect wasn't quite the same. Watching 'Alien' in a crowded theater for the first time, though, was one of the my best movie-going experiences ever.

by Anonymousreply 12October 24, 2020 6:21 AM

I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2020 6:23 AM

I see your dirty pillows!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 14October 24, 2020 6:24 AM

Alien must have been amazing to see in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 15October 24, 2020 6:24 AM

I preferred the ORIGINAL Carries. It was much more classy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 24, 2020 6:26 AM

Using Vinnie Barbarino in the ads made me laugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2020 6:27 AM

That ABC Afterschool Special music was what tricked us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 24, 2020 6:35 AM

I was 13 and saw it opening weekend on a Sunday afternoon. The Showcase Cinemas in Seekonk, Massachusetts. I will never forget it. The theater was packed. I was sitting middle in the last 5 rows. While Amy Irving is slowly walking towards the open field holding the bouquet of flowers, the audience is completely silent. Then the hand comes out. SCREAMS! Not only was there massive screaming, but half-filled popcorn and soda containers were thrown upwards causing popcorn and sticky Diet Coke to fall all over. - THEN - Huge laughter of embarrassment. It was quite a sight.

I went back three times just to experience the ending again.

by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2020 6:52 AM

I remember going to see some kids movie "Escape from Witch Mountain" maybe and they showed the trailer for Carrie which terrified me and gave me nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2020 7:01 AM

Brian De Palma is a great director. So many of his films - Phantom of the Paradise, Carrie, The Fury, Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, Scarface - are rewatchable.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2020 7:56 AM

Yes, multiple times at the theater. Yes people did jump and laugh at themselves afterward. The reason I went initially was because Vinnie was in it.

For JAWS, it was the bobbing severed head in the sunken boat that gave me nightmares. I couldn't shower after that because I thought I saw "eyes" in the drain.

by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2020 8:01 AM

Yep. Scared the shit out of us. We didn’t yet expect such endings.

by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2020 8:10 AM

[quote]Betty Buckley replaced Cook for Broadway after Cook quite after the Stratford UK run

Babs was no dummy. When the opening number's choreography involved airborne tampons, she knew it was time to bail.

by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2020 12:49 PM

I did see it when I was a kid.

It was a relatively empty theater because it was a matinee and it was a couple of weeks after the movie came out.

Nonetheless, the end caught me so off guard that when I jumped, it's amazing I didn't end up in the row behind me.

BTW the dream sequence at the end of Deliverance (also propelled by guilt) is similar - and did scare me - but that was very subdued compared with Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2020 1:00 PM

That's classic R17, he looks prettier than she does....

by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2020 1:03 PM

Is r17's ad a foreign ad? When have Americans spelled scary with an "e"?

by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2020 1:10 PM

Could have been Alabama.

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2020 1:15 PM

It bears repeating that watching a horror movie in a darkened theater when it’s new, with an audience that’s eagerly looking forward to being scared, is an entirely different experience from watching it on a video screen in the comfort of your own home when all the movies best bits are already familiar cultural tropes.

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2020 3:34 PM

I've always wanted to go back in time and see this and the original Halloween in theaters with a packed house. Horror movies are always so much more exciting that way.

There's a story that the director, Joe Dante, told about how when he went to see Carrie, the audience seemed to hate the film and they'd laugh at things that weren't supposed to be funny, but the ending is what finally got them on board with the film and that's when he said how important a great ending is, because it leaves everyone on a high as they exit the theater and that's what gets them to recommend the movie to friends.

by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2020 3:52 PM

Nobody liked the 2013 remake much but I don't hate it (it's on now). One thing about the remake is at the end Carrie holds Sue accountable for what happened (from the script):

Sue: Carrie? Let me help you, Carrie.

Carrie: Why couldn't you leave me alone?

Sue: I'm sorry.

Carrie: Look what you turned me into.

by Anonymousreply 31October 25, 2020 12:42 AM

r24 she must have known what she was getting into. This is a great reuninon video where they discuss the musical and Cook's departure and Betty's arrival.

Buckley does seem pretty phenomenal in the clip they show. Charlotte d'Amobise says it was the best performance she ever saw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 25, 2020 4:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!