Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Happy Birthday Diana Dors

Britain's Marilyn turns 89.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2020 8:14 PM

Mrs. Richard Dawson!

by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2020 2:27 AM

But she's dead, so how can she turn 89?

And no offense, but it's an insult to MM, because this woman really isn't all that attractive. Brits have such lower standards when it comes to looks.

by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2020 2:33 AM

She looked great in that Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode with John Gavin.

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2020 2:40 AM

Yeah, I always thought her face looked kind of busted, in a special needs sort of way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2020 2:46 AM

What are diana doors?

by Anonymousreply 5October 24, 2020 2:54 AM

Her only decent film was 72 years ago,

It was all downhill after that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2020 2:57 AM

She really dove into "Divine" territory rather quickly, didn't she?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2020 3:07 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2020 3:07 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2020 3:09 AM

[quote] Indeed, as we have already discovered, the word dietrich in German translates as skeleton key, and this can enable us to produce a rebus utilising the characters of Carroll, Dietrich, Shirley Temple and Diana Dors (who all appear together on the album cover) that states; Carroll [is the] Key [to the] Temple Door.

[quote] It is in understanding, I believe, the subtle word-play and hidden meanings contained within Sgt. Pepper that will allow us to crack the Sgt. Pepper code.

[quote] On the LP cover Lewis Carroll is stood next to a palm-tree, as is Diana Dors. This is telling us where to look. To paraphrase the rebus Carroll is the Key to the Door and, I believe, the door lock is represented by Miss Dor’s elbow. So, Lewis Carroll wrote ‘Through the Looking Glass’ and a looking glass is a mirror. If we were to look through a looking glass we would expect to see a reflected image, therefore, if we put a mirror to the elbow of Miss Dors it should come as no surprise to find something and, indeed we do, we discover the image of a walrus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 24, 2020 3:14 AM

She used to host sex parties at her house and film her guests having sex. I wonder whatever happened to those tapes?

And wasn't she the one who left her son a fortune when she died, but she put the location of the fortune in code which the son could never figure out. He even hired a special code breaker to figure it out. I always wondered if she died broke and was just fucking with her son's mind.

by Anonymousreply 11October 24, 2020 3:14 AM

I had always hoped that they would do a later in life tv movie about her and cast Sheila Gish as older Diana Dors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 24, 2020 3:18 AM

It may be Diana Dors birthday but she died back in 1984 when she was 52.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2020 3:42 AM

She always seemed more like the British Jayne Mansfield.

by Anonymousreply 14October 24, 2020 3:53 AM

R14, Birds of a feather...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 24, 2020 4:05 AM

Why has no show-off mentioned her birth name?

by Anonymousreply 16October 24, 2020 4:09 AM

I thought she looked nice in that movie with Danny Kaye

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2020 4:13 AM

She only had a Hollywood career because producers thought Marilyn Monroe was getting too difficult to work with. She was brought in to keep MM in her place.

by Anonymousreply 18October 24, 2020 4:14 AM

It must have plain to an intelligent audience member that Monroe was getting too difficult to work with from 1957— 5 years before even she realised she was too difficult to live with.

by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2020 4:31 AM

R19, how was Dors supposed to keep Monroe in her place from RKO? They weren't at the same studio nor were they up for the same parts.

Sheree North was signed to 20th Century Fox to keep Marilyn in check, but when she failed to excite movie audiences, Fox brought in Jayne Mansfield.

by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2020 4:57 AM

They didn't need to be at the same studio. Troy Donahue was brought in when Tab Hunter started openly flouting his homosexualist tendencies.

The idea that was that audiences would not attend movies by the original artist but move their allegiance over to the new artist. So if Marilyn was getting to difficult, they would tell her that people were going to quit seeing her films and go see Diana Dors films.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2020 5:09 AM

She gets knocked off in Theatre of Blood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2020 5:13 AM

[quote]She always seemed more like the British Jayne Mansfield.

More like the British Mamie Van Doren. Unlike Diana, Mamie is still alive and is, in fact, 89.

by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2020 5:19 AM

R16 Diana Fluck = Diana Dors

by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2020 5:31 AM

Troy and Tab were at the same studio though. Troy was brought in because Tab was being difficult. Like Marilyn, he kept turning down crappy projects that he was being offered.

by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2020 5:37 AM

She's past her prime and fabulously bitchy in Crawford's late career masterpiece Berserk.

She gets to desperately fling herself at hunky Ty Hardin (he's far more interested in the "eternally youthful" Joan), snarls snide remarks to just about everyone in the circus, gets in a drunken, muddy brawl with a woman in the middle of the night, and IIRC, Joan even says "You SLUT!" to her at one point.

Probably her greatest performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2020 5:44 AM

^ That picture shows a pronounced gunt— rather like that of Trystan Bull.

This woman would have perfect for the role of slutty Nancy, slutty, machinating, low-life Nancy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2020 6:14 AM

She was pretty for about 17 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2020 6:16 AM

[quote] Troy and Tab were at the same studio though.

Odd that there are no pics of them together anywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2020 11:33 AM

Black's the color, watch the claws with nails as sharp as Diana Dors.

Watching us is stopping you from cruising ugly avenue.

Those were the days.

by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2020 12:00 PM

I’ve never seen her in major roles but she did have a cameo in an interesting film from 1970 called Deep End which was about a young male swimming baths attendant. She was plump and Divine-like by then. Towards the end of her life she was in the papers and morning television documenting her efforts at “reducing”. Then she got sick, poor girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2020 1:10 PM

I loved her song "Come On Baby Light My Fire".

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2020 1:12 PM

She was really more Shelley Winters than Marilyn Monroe. Shelley tried to play a sexpot in spaghetti westerns and Italian films, then just gave up and started playing the pushy yenta.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2020 1:14 PM

As my cockney great grandmother would have said, "She's as common as muck!"

by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2020 1:20 PM

There's an undoubtedly apocryphal tale that the vicar conducting her funeral got flustered and said, in his opening remarks, ‘Many of you may not have known that her real name was Diana Clunt...’

by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2020 1:24 PM

I did a second take when I saw this, I was sure she was dead!

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2020 1:25 PM

[quote]She was really more Shelley Winters than Marilyn Monroe. Shelley tried to play a sexpot in spaghetti westerns and Italian films, then just gave up and started playing the pushy yenta.

Shelley Winters was forever going on talk shows and saying that she and Marilyn were once roommates and that [big reveal] they wore the SAME dress size. She was doing this while at her "Poseidon Adventure" weight, so it really was like a tale out of Ripley's Believe It or Not.

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2020 6:06 PM

Shelley Winters should never have had 2 Oscars

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2020 6:17 PM

I always thought that Belinda Lee was the more attractive of the British blonde dollies of the 1950s, but for some reason, it was Dors who shot out of the gate and made a bigger splash, while Lee is little remembered today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2020 6:59 PM

It looks like Dors had bigger boobs. Maybe that's why or willing to suck more studio cock.

by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2020 7:01 PM

Diana Dors is yet one more example of the awful, unimaginative tastes of heterosexual men.

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2020 7:05 PM

Why, R41? She is a beauty.

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2020 7:17 PM

[quote]As my cockney great grandmother would have said, "She's as common as muck!"

Fluck is muck!

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2020 7:30 PM

Her best film was 'Yield to The Night' (Blonde Sinner) in 1956.

R11 Her youngest son Jason Dors Lake died aged 50 in 2019.

R12 Sheila Gish died in 2005 of cancer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2020 7:41 PM

R39 I remember Belinda Lee aggressively displaying her breasts opposite some very handsome men.

She had the same hawk-like face as the awful Fiona Bruce and played the roles Maureen O'Hara rejected.

Wiki says she had a torrid offscreen life and was killed along Highway 91 in March 1961. She was thrown from the car and found lying 63 feet away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2020 8:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!