Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's your memory of jukeboxes?

Did they place a significant role in your life?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2020 11:41 PM

I remember the one at the Ninth Circle. It played 'Love Hangover,' 'D-I-V-O-R-C-E,' 'I'll Play the Fool for You,' and 'Midnight Blue' on a seemingly endless loop in 1976 and '77.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2020 9:43 PM

My parents bought a vintage jukebox in the 80s and we had a lot of fun with it. If it wasn’t this model it was very similar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2020 9:45 PM

Not significant, but I have fond memories of pumping quarters into them to load my favorite songs. I think Otis Redding's "Dock of the Bay" might be my most played song when I was a kid. When I shot pool in a league, we often played at a bar with a jukebox heavy on Garth Brooks. I knew the lyrics to most of his hits because of that jukebox alone.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2020 9:45 PM

I worked in a bar that had a jukebox. "Hotel California" multiple times per night. Ugh! When we did last call & I wanted the bar to clear out, I'd walk over to the jukebox and select "Epic" by Faith No More ("you want it all, but you can't have it" and the obnoxious "rap").

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2020 10:45 PM

Growing up, all the diners in my area had small juke boxes (boxen?) at all of the table so you could play your favorite song while you waited for your club sandwich to be served.

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2020 11:10 PM

My neighbors in suburban So Cal had a jukebox in the garage we could play for free while also playing ping pong. I could make a good list of the songs in that machine, we listened to them so many times.

When I was an underage bartender at a gross punk pub in Fullerton, we had a jukebox people dumped money into all night. We bartenders knew we could bang it with our knee, causing all the quarters to come rattling down into the change hole as it racked up free plays. Then we'd program in a superset. Behind the bar was a cancel button for songs we hated.

by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2020 11:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!