Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

OMG do you get trifle in America?

I was in the supermarket (Tesco West Ken.) today and thought I'd get something sweet to have at some point this weekend, so I bought a Molly's trifle.

It was the cheapest one they had.

It was incredible. I almost ate three-quarters of it in one go (it's meant for four people) I had to throw it in the trash.

I can't remember the last time I had such a response to something like that. I hate people comparing food with sex - but really!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188October 30, 2020 12:57 AM

I've never seen trifle available as a packaged convenience food like that here in the U.S. I have seen trifle being offered in some in-store bakeries that offer other bakery items either made on the premises or in the grocery chain's bakery, i.e. it's sold freshly made and meant to be consumed quickly. I've also seen it offered as a dessert item on restaurant menus.

But trifle is really not a common dessert or snack item in the U.S. If you want some, you make it yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2020 8:22 PM

It looks kinda yucky like bloody vomit.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2020 8:24 PM

OP, I'm a Brit but I live in the States. When I visit the UK (or used to, pre-pandemic) I bring back Bird's Trifle mix for the neighbo[u]rs. I think they see it as a little bit of Downton Abbey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2020 8:30 PM

OP, where are you trying to pretend to be from?

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2020 8:30 PM

When I think of trifle, I think of the word meaning something of little consequence, insignificant. I've never heard of it. Is it basically strawberry shortcake?

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2020 8:33 PM

no, R5 - it's a chilled layered dessert.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2020 8:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2020 8:40 PM

It's basically parfait?

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2020 8:40 PM

Good golly

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2020 8:40 PM

They don't have it in America, but I do miss the Tesco seasonal trifle, especially the Christmas one <3

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2020 8:41 PM

R4 I don't think the OP is pretending to be from anywhere? Ms Molly's is a supermarket in-house brand (Tesco), about the cheapest product line in the store.

Lidl own brand trifle is much better though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2020 8:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2020 8:42 PM

[quote][R4] I don't think the OP is pretending to be from anywhere?

Of course, I'm not. R4 is being a bore.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2020 8:43 PM

I miss Sainsbury bag of chocolate chip cookies and sticky toffy pudding.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2020 8:44 PM

[quote]I miss Sainsbury bag of chocolate chip cookies

OMG that's another thing I simply cannot buy - Sainsbury's chocolate corn flakes. I just devour them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2020 8:47 PM

People in the US generally don't know what trifle is, and its generally not available here. There are no pre-packaged mixes like the one you found, but my mum is British, and she taught me to make it from scratch, which I do occasionally. Always remember it from when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2020 8:51 PM

OP, sweetie, I do trifle at M&S Simply Food. Getting trifle at Tesco is just so...common.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2020 8:56 PM

[quote]Getting trifle at Tesco is just so...common.

I agree. I wasn't expecting much at all. It blew my mind.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2020 9:02 PM

Trifle does have history in The US, it was called Tipsy Parson/Squire in the 18th century.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2020 9:03 PM

If you make it, you have to make the custard too. The US doesn't have all the various canned custards like the Brits do.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2020 9:08 PM

We used to eat it quite often when my grandmother was alive. One of my older sisters had Gran's recipe. She puts a cake in it.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2020 9:08 PM

Yes, this one I had wasn't cakey. I don't think it had cake. I ate it so fast. The cake should have liqueur in it, shouldn't it? This was trifle for kids.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2020 9:13 PM

R20 Custard is pretty easy to make with a vanilla pod, light cream, sugar and egg yolks. Powdered custard only came about in the mid 19th century.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2020 9:22 PM

The American dessert most closely resembling trifle is banana pudding, and it's not THAT close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2020 9:22 PM

This is something I've only encountered homemade.

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2020 9:27 PM

Trifle - 👎🏻

Pavlova - 👍

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2020 9:31 PM

You can buy single and family servings of trifle at upscale groceries in the U.S., such as Central Market in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2020 9:38 PM

Supermarket trifle is one of those rare treats for when I’m feeling a bit sorry for myself. It’s the kind of thing you eat when no one’s watching. I love it. The M&S ones are good.

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2020 9:39 PM

[quote] The M&S ones are good.

Molly's are better. So watch out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2020 9:42 PM

Back in the '70s I used to make the Silver Palate Cookbook trifle recipe. It was usually a big hit. I thought the way they made little sandwiches out of the pound cake and the jam was quite ingenious. This recipe calls for marsala, but I think I used to use sherry or brandy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2020 9:53 PM

r14 I've always wanted make Sticky Toffee Pudding. Do you know of a good recipe?

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2020 9:54 PM

We eat yogurt layered with fresh fruit in the Us

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2020 10:14 PM

I only know trifles from Rachel Making one on Friends

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2020 10:16 PM

Fuck is trifle?

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2020 10:19 PM

Orange chiffon cake, fresh raspberries, raspberry jam, custard, whipped cream, sliced almonds(optional) sweet sherry or sweet marsala(don't go overboard with the booze), chocolate shavings(optional)

Make as many layers as you wish, the chocolate shavings, if used, go on top.

To those who buy it ready made: What is the texture like? Sliceable, like a cake or is it more scoop-able, the way traditional trifle is?

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2020 10:35 PM

When I lived in London years ago, one of my favorite desserts was treacle tart. Is it sold anywhere in the States or has anyone a good recipe? Is treacle the same as molasses, btw?

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2020 10:42 PM

I could never bring myself in mixed company to order Spotted Dick in the UK!

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2020 10:42 PM

R36, I haven't had treacle in years but I thought it was like corn syrup.

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2020 10:43 PM

Treacle Tart is harder and harder to find these days, but worth searching for.

Mr. Kipling is delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2020 10:46 PM

Treacle Sponge on the other hand is everywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2020 10:48 PM

No, but I make my own. I do cheat and use instant custard powder like Bird's, other times I go all out.

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2020 10:50 PM

Trifle, yes, but not the fruit cocktail one! The chunks of pear ruin it, for my tastes anyway.

R17 Problem with M&S is their trifles use compote instead of jelly. I might sound childish, but I want jelly in my trifle!

by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2020 10:51 PM

I do love the cheap cakes you get at supermarket “bakeries.”

by Anonymousreply 43October 23, 2020 10:53 PM

I'm just not sure what was in my Molly's, I ate it so fast - I remember the cream and the custard. Maybe there was jelly.

by Anonymousreply 44October 23, 2020 10:54 PM

R37 That's because you're very unlikely to have been anywhere that would have served it.

Spotted Dick isn't served in restaurants. I haven't seen it anywhere nor heard it mentioned (except by deluded DLers) since my schooldays.

by Anonymousreply 45October 23, 2020 10:55 PM

[quote]I do love the cheap cakes you get at supermarket “bakeries.”

I like supermarket cafes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 23, 2020 10:55 PM

We used to make it in Canada at Christmas. You need one package of jelly rolls , vanilla pudding , triple sec , thawed frozen strawberries ,canned peaches , whipped cream and maraschino cherries.

Slice the jelly rolls and put one layer in the bottom of a big serving bowl . Then soak with triple sec . Next a layer of the vanilla pudding . Then the thawed strawberries then another layer of jelly rolls . Then add the triple sec again then a layer of the pudding then the peaches . Keep alternating the layers until you get to the top of the bowl . The last layer is whipped cream and then the maraschino cherries on top . Even if it turns out bad , the triple sec on it will make you feel good 😁

by Anonymousreply 47October 23, 2020 11:00 PM

Sainsbury's copied our Piggly Wiggly.

by Anonymousreply 48October 23, 2020 11:04 PM

I love trifle but I haven’t had it in decades. Luckily, my other favorite dessert is chocolate mousse and that is easy to find or makes.

by Anonymousreply 49October 23, 2020 11:06 PM

Straight triflin boo

by Anonymousreply 50October 23, 2020 11:06 PM

[quote] OMG do you get trifle in America?

No, we don't. You live in America. Stop pretending you live in another country. You don't.

[quote] I was in the supermarket (Tesco West Ken.) today

No, you weren't.

[quote] and thought I'd get something sweet to have at some point this weekend, so I bought a Molly's trifle.

IOW, you bought a package of Oreos.

[quote] It was the cheapest one

It would have been cheaper with a coupon.

[quote] It was incredible.

Calm down. It was just an oreo.

[quote] I almost ate three-quarters of it in one go (it's meant for four people) I had to throw it in the trash.

Just wait until you see your morning BM.

[quote] I can't remember the last time I had such a response to something like that.

You had that same response after polishing off a dozen Cinnabon at breakfast.

[quote] I hate people comparing food with sex - but really!

People not having sex will often use that comparison.

Questions for OP: are you trying to pass that pic off as one you took? Also, do you find it odd that so many people just happened to be on DL in a three hour window to gush over trifle? The banter seems so immediate. It's strange. Most of your threads are.

by Anonymousreply 51October 23, 2020 11:18 PM

Who cares if OP is actually in the UK or if they actually had trifle? I'm enjoying the trifle thread regardless.

by Anonymousreply 52October 23, 2020 11:25 PM

I’ve been meaning to make trifle. I thought ladyfingers instead of cake was traditional.

by Anonymousreply 53October 23, 2020 11:26 PM

R36

My impression of treacle is that it's sugar syrup with some molasses. So it has a bit of molasses flavor, but it's not overwhelming.

Treacle tart sounds a bit like shoofly pie in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 54October 23, 2020 11:27 PM

R51 - yours is the weirdest post I've ever read in my life....you're a FREAK.

by Anonymousreply 55October 23, 2020 11:28 PM

R51 I'm not debating, and willing to keep an open mind as I'm unfamiliar with OP's other threads, but what makes you think he's posting from elsewhere? Muriel could probably find the IP address.... Oh Muriel darling....?

by Anonymousreply 56October 23, 2020 11:28 PM

[quote]Who cares if OP is actually in the UK

Why respond to that moron - why would I make it up?

by Anonymousreply 57October 23, 2020 11:29 PM

No British person has ever used the word 'trash', nor felt the need to specify the Tesco they went to.

by Anonymousreply 58October 23, 2020 11:35 PM

They had a good vegan one at Native Foods in LA.

by Anonymousreply 59October 23, 2020 11:37 PM

We have bread pudding!

by Anonymousreply 60October 23, 2020 11:38 PM

[quote]No British person has ever used the word 'trash', nor felt the need to specify the Tesco they went to.

Let it go. It is but a trifle.

by Anonymousreply 61October 23, 2020 11:39 PM

r60 Dare I ask?

by Anonymousreply 62October 23, 2020 11:41 PM

Well, R51 hasn't explained his suspicions, so there's that. This is an odd forum, insofar as what isn't accepted at face value. So many paranoid posters it would seem, accusing some as being women, or worse fraus.

I happen to be British, and have been called "fake Brit" numerous times, in addition to "frau", and lesbian, when I defend them. I'm ashamed to admit I've been called "Tranny licker", or "Tranny chaser"as well. Thus far, no direct accusations I am a tranny however. I suppose I could very well be a British lesbian tranny, and they've been wrong all along!

by Anonymousreply 63October 23, 2020 11:41 PM

[quote]No British person has ever used the word 'trash', nor felt the need to specify the Tesco they went to.

A British person who lived in America would. Now fuck off with this bullshit.

Oh, gee...he said bullshit - he's from Chicago!

by Anonymousreply 64October 23, 2020 11:41 PM

Actually I do tend to AmericaniZe on DL - otherwise people go on and on about my lingo and not my subject.

I threw the triffle in the bin?

Better?

How would I know about Molly trifle if I was in America?

by Anonymousreply 65October 23, 2020 11:46 PM

R64 Funny that, I actually live in Chicago. There are plenty of us here. There are British schools as well. Some supermarkets even cater to us... shudder to think. Are you from Chicago OP?

by Anonymousreply 66October 23, 2020 11:51 PM

No I'm from fucking London. Sorry if that sounds so exotic that I must be faking it.

by Anonymousreply 67October 23, 2020 11:54 PM

R67/OP No problem with you, just figured you could easily be an American living abroad. I'm originally from London, and happen to love trifle, so carry on.

by Anonymousreply 68October 23, 2020 11:57 PM

[quote] No I'm from fucking London. Sorry if that sounds so exotic that I must be faking it.

I've actually ended up liking you, OP. You sound solid. There's an epicurean troll which starts similar themed threads. Constantly. You're a class act.

by Anonymousreply 69October 24, 2020 12:01 AM

Trash is a Norse, Viking word. It was used in England before the US was colonized, it appears in Othello.

[ITALIC]

[BOLD] Iago: [BOLD]

Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, Is the immediate jewel of their souls. Who steals my purse steals [BOLD] trash [BOLD]; 'tis something, nothing; 'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands; But he that filches from me my good name Robs me of that which not enriches him, And makes me poor indeed.

Othello Act 3, scene 3, 155–161 [/ITALIC]

by Anonymousreply 70October 24, 2020 12:06 AM

I don't remember ever seeing a pre-made trifle anywhere, but I have made many of them myself when I've had company over. Probably one of the more simple yet impressive desserts you can make.

by Anonymousreply 71October 24, 2020 12:07 AM

[quote]good vegan

Oxymoron

by Anonymousreply 72October 24, 2020 12:15 AM

Rifles, not trifles!

by Anonymousreply 73October 24, 2020 12:16 AM

Is treacle the same thing as golden syrup? I had a recipe that called for golden syrup and the only place I could find it was Cost Plus World Market.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 24, 2020 12:17 AM

actually I do tend to write in a very American style on DL, if I think about it....short of short and sharp and punchy - British English is much more labo(u)red. Draggy.

I've been here so many years I'm now a TOTAL DLer in my style and any chance I get to say "gurl, puhlease" I'll take it.

So I can see why occasionally I might sound American. But to go to the trouble of faking some story about eating trifle is ridiculous.

(for example - I've now written a little too much about myself - big NO NO on DL)

by Anonymousreply 75October 24, 2020 12:18 AM

[quote]Is treacle the same thing as golden syrup?

No, treacle is treacle.

by Anonymousreply 76October 24, 2020 12:18 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 24, 2020 12:19 AM

Treacle is fucking crack, and I try to avoid sweets.

by Anonymousreply 78October 24, 2020 12:25 AM

Molly's trifle? I mean, that's nasty. She don’t love ha self.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 24, 2020 12:29 AM

Dark treacle is like molasses as it has a lot of molasses in it. But the lighter variety of treacle is indeed similar to golden syrup.

by Anonymousreply 80October 24, 2020 12:30 AM

R77 I think the nearest that you can get widely in the US is Blackstrap Molasses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 24, 2020 12:33 AM

R70 We don't speak Shakespearean English in the UK. 'Trash', while understood, just isn't used.

by Anonymousreply 82October 24, 2020 12:37 AM

If I had to eat SPOTTED DICK , moments later I'd be on the toilet doing a lot of BUBBLE AND SQUEAK!

by Anonymousreply 83October 24, 2020 12:42 AM

My grandmother used to make treacle tart for me especially, but she used lemon in it for some weird reason and I never liked it and was too young to say "quit with the fucking lemon".

She also used to buy me Butterscotch Angel's Delight (which I also noticed today on my fantasy visit to Tesco in West Ken.) - she'd set it all up for me so I could "make it". I don't like it so much now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 24, 2020 12:44 AM

If I got hold of some spotted dick I'd march myself down to the free clinic.

by Anonymousreply 85October 24, 2020 12:48 AM

We have the Dicken's Christmas Faire, in recent years held at the Cow Palace in San Francisco , been going on for over 45 years.

The faire features Cuthburt's Tea Shop where one can order trifle with afternoon tea. I've seen it in other places, usually bakeries or specialty stores, but it's not ubiquitous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 24, 2020 12:58 AM

There's a town called Bakewell in Derbyshire. The whole place seems to revolve around its famous tart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 24, 2020 1:19 AM

R82 I'm from Manchester, I hear people say trash quite often. Mainly about Chavs, Gippo's and Scally's rather than rubbish. It could be a Northern thing?

by Anonymousreply 88October 24, 2020 1:28 AM

I love "trashy"

by Anonymousreply 89October 24, 2020 1:37 AM

As an American, trifle seems distinctly British. It was served SO often in that dinner party competition show - I can't remember the name of it.

But it was ubiquitous - and it never really looked THAT great.

I would love to try it - it is seriously never served in the states. I would appreciate a lighter dessert offering.

by Anonymousreply 90October 24, 2020 2:30 AM

I love trifle, but it's basically unknown/forgotten in North America. The closet we have is yogurt parfait which is not as good.

by Anonymousreply 91October 24, 2020 2:36 AM

[quote]The whole place seems to revolve around its famous tart.

What's her name and how much does she charge?

by Anonymousreply 92October 24, 2020 4:13 AM

I was embarrassed when I was in London and had to ask the clerk at the bakery counter what exactly a Bakewell Tart was. But they are delicious.

r84 Your post gives no clue as to what "Angel Delight" is? Is it like an (American) pudding? The logo looks disconcertingly like this one for toilet paper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 24, 2020 4:15 AM

Make sure you add sherry!

by Anonymousreply 94October 24, 2020 5:21 AM

Absolutely not! I make my own!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 24, 2020 5:34 AM

They make something like it at Whole Foods. (Or they used to. Who goes to Whole Foods anymore?) It was yellow cake, berries, whipped cream, and crème pâtissière.

by Anonymousreply 96October 24, 2020 6:07 AM

OP, food companies spend a fortune to get exactly that reaction. They want people buying the product all the time

by Anonymousreply 97October 24, 2020 7:08 AM

Italians have it too-Zuppa Inglese.

by Anonymousreply 98October 24, 2020 7:24 AM

English soup?

by Anonymousreply 99October 24, 2020 7:28 AM

It's all so triflin' and confused.

by Anonymousreply 100October 24, 2020 8:36 AM

[quote][quote][R84] Your post gives no clue as to what "Angel Delight" is? Is it like an (American) pudding? The logo looks disconcertingly like this one for toilet paper.

I guess it's a kind of mousse. It's a powder and you add milk, whip it up and it grows before your eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101October 24, 2020 8:58 AM

Just for R45 if you visit the The Green Man Inn, Bradwell-on-sea (and many other fine establishments), you can happily order yourself a Spotted Dick. AKA of course you can fucking order a Spotted Dick in the UK, assuming that there's not a plank of wood across the door with a big red X painted on it at the moment...

If you want the flavour of British custard (which was invented by Mr Bird due to his wifes egg allergy) rather than egg custard, then get yourself some milk, cornflour, caster sugar, vanilla essence (the real one, not that weird wood based stuff you have in the US) and some yellow food colouring. Use the food colouring sparingly, you want after a pale yellow not something that looks like Trump's face. If you cannot get trifle sponges, use dried out madeira cake, and make sure you reinvigorate it with half a bottle of sherry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 24, 2020 9:02 AM

R88 Same here. It's as if that mad poster thinks we don't get American TV shows here, meaning American words find their way into how we speak.

R90 Come Dine With Me?

by Anonymousreply 103October 24, 2020 10:12 AM

Shop-bought trifles can be very good but I've yet to have one that tastes as nice as home-made. (That's assuming, of course, that you know how to make one properly - Mary Berry has a lovely boozy trifle which has gone down a treat at BBQs.)

by Anonymousreply 104October 24, 2020 10:29 AM

My grandmother's trifle was legendary. She was a lifelong teetotaller and even part of a teetotal movement called the Pioneers in Ireland, but the trifle she'd make every Sunday had a bottle of sherry in it.

I don't know if she even realised sherry was alcoholic, but we'd all have a good sleep after Sunday Lunch.

by Anonymousreply 105October 24, 2020 10:35 AM

Shop-bought? Gone down a treat? Stop the charade.

You know what you look like to me with your good bag and your cheap shoes and your cribbed Britishisms? You look like a rube. A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste. Good nutrition has given you some length of bone, but you’re not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you OP? And that accent you’re trying so desperately to shed – pure West Virginia. What was your father, dear? Was he a coal miner? Did he stink of the lamp? And oh, how quickly Ronald McDonald found you. All those tedious, limp fries, in the back seats of cars, while you could only dream of getting out. Getting anywhere. Getting all the way to Marks & Spencer.

by Anonymousreply 106October 24, 2020 10:40 AM

R106 Just wait till he hears about Waitrose.

by Anonymousreply 107October 24, 2020 10:42 AM

You know something I haven't seen a lot of lately? Lemon Drizzle.

Maybe it's gone out of fashion.

American style cakes have really taken over the Western World. Out goes Lemon Drizzle and in comes Red Velvet.

by Anonymousreply 108October 24, 2020 10:54 AM

And crumpets are NOT what they were.

And (I'm on a roll now) American doughnuts have totally taken the place of those old British jammy ones of yore.

by Anonymousreply 109October 24, 2020 10:56 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 24, 2020 10:59 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 24, 2020 10:59 AM

I can’t cake that’s been moistened by fruit. It revolts me.

by Anonymousreply 112October 24, 2020 2:15 PM

The English will jump all over you if you ask them to pass the jam you see on the table, and it's orange. "No, no, it's marmalade."

by Anonymousreply 113October 24, 2020 2:19 PM

There are plenty of online stores selling all kinds of British foods.

by Anonymousreply 114October 24, 2020 2:48 PM

Not just online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115October 24, 2020 2:51 PM

R64 which stores in Chicago ? I would love to take my business there !

by Anonymousreply 116October 24, 2020 3:00 PM

If only there was some way to search for stores in Chicago that sell British foodstuff.

by Anonymousreply 117October 24, 2020 3:20 PM

We have jelly doughnuts at most US bakeries and at the chain formerly known as Dunkin Donuts. Those of us who live in major cities buy polish paczki before Easter and Israeli sufganiyot in December, too, which are basically the same thing.

The Bird's custard you describe is similar to the Jello cooked vanilla pudding mixes, which are not around anymore. Jello went instant and subbed the cornstarch (cornflour) for other thickeners that do not require heat. I don't know anyone who bothers with that stuff anymore. It was something you'd make for kids but now everyone is anti-sugar.

Definitely no trifle mixes here. I see lots of individual parfaits in most grocery story that sub fruit for jam and omit the booze and custard--cake, fruit, whipped cream, rinse, lather, repeat.

The only readily available custard I'm aware of is Spanish flan or creme brulee. Making flan or patisserie cream is not something the average frau cook in the US does or even can do.

I love international food threads. Carry on, OP.

by Anonymousreply 118October 24, 2020 4:03 PM

R103 - Yes, Come Dine with Me, which is just a fucking fantastic show - only because of the narrator. You take him away and it's just not as fun.

by Anonymousreply 119October 24, 2020 4:07 PM

[quote]only because of the narrator. You take him away and it's just not as fun.

There was a documentary on British TV about people trying to pass their driving tests - typical Brit TV fodder but this was really funny and it had Alan Carr narrating and quipping in that campy voice - I'm not usually a fan of his but this was hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 120October 24, 2020 4:16 PM

This looks like something you'd get at Fourth of July picnic in Alabama.

by Anonymousreply 121October 24, 2020 4:18 PM

That crap at R101 looks awfully gassy.

by Anonymousreply 122October 24, 2020 4:19 PM

[quote]I love international food threads. Carry on, OP.

My post about a supermarket trifle is an INTERNATIONAL FOOD THREAD! I feel AMAZING!

& yes, I will R118. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 123October 24, 2020 4:32 PM

We Americans are not to be trifled with.

by Anonymousreply 124October 24, 2020 4:37 PM

Trifle is not popular here but one Thanksgiving I made a Meyer Lemon Mascarpone trifle. It was to die for. Got the recipe out of Southern Living and I just happened to have a ton of fresh Meyer lemons. It's usually warm down here in November.

by Anonymousreply 125October 24, 2020 4:50 PM

I'm not used to trifle with "pastry cream" which is basically like custard anyway. It's cake, fruit, and custard in layers and whipped cream (heavy cream not that instant garbage) for the top layer. Never chocolate.

And the only time I had it was Christmas and OF COURSE the grandparents didn't drink alcohol so no one was allowed to drink anything "out of respect".

by Anonymousreply 126October 24, 2020 5:30 PM

So there was no alcohol in it--forgot to mention

by Anonymousreply 127October 24, 2020 5:31 PM

[quote]Never chocolate.

Wrong

by Anonymousreply 128October 24, 2020 5:38 PM

I've seen recipes for a chocolate trifle but haven't tried it.

by Anonymousreply 129October 24, 2020 5:42 PM

[quote]Jello cooked vanilla pudding mixes, which are not around anymore

Where did you get that idea? They still make cook-and-serve Jell-O pudding mixes in several flavors, including vanilla.

by Anonymousreply 130October 24, 2020 6:29 PM

Custard filled doughnuts are also a British thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 24, 2020 7:46 PM

We have those kinds of donuts here. I see them in the Publix deli all the time.

by Anonymousreply 132October 24, 2020 7:47 PM

Blancmange

Well?

by Anonymousreply 133October 24, 2020 9:45 PM

You're all fools.

by Anonymousreply 134October 24, 2020 9:59 PM

In London we have places that just sell those Portuguese custard tarts - you probably have them in the USA as well. How they survive just selling them. I find them too sweet.

Apparently they're "egg" tarts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 24, 2020 10:49 PM

World Market carries a lot of British food

by Anonymousreply 136October 24, 2020 11:29 PM

[quote] Custard filled doughnuts are also a British thing.

I loved those things growing up on Long Island. Got them fresh from the local bakery. Don’t see them anymore, but then, I don’t see many stand alone bakeries anymore.

by Anonymousreply 137October 24, 2020 11:31 PM

You can get everything you need from DL favorite Nicky including custard powder and possibly readymade trifle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 24, 2020 11:34 PM

^^^

They had a chocolate glaze on the top

by Anonymousreply 139October 24, 2020 11:35 PM

We'll give you trifle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140October 24, 2020 11:37 PM

It never occurred to me to "buy" trifle.

OP certainly is lazy and sad.

by Anonymousreply 141October 24, 2020 11:40 PM

Here is the co-owner of A Salt & Battery, the fry-up next door to the tea-shoppe. He may like to trifle too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142October 24, 2020 11:42 PM

[quote]OP certainly is lazy and sad.

Lazy? NO! I'm the creator of an INTERNATIONAL FOOD THREAD.

by Anonymousreply 143October 24, 2020 11:43 PM

OP, now I know you're a fake. West Ken. Tesco indeed. It's late where you are...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144October 24, 2020 11:47 PM

Not the OP but my local Tesco opens 6am until midnight, I don't think British people retire (or get up) quite as early as our US counterparts.

Asda (Walmart) open 24 hours.

by Anonymousreply 145October 24, 2020 11:58 PM

I thought Walmart was finally selling that shithole ASDA.

by Anonymousreply 146October 25, 2020 1:13 AM

R144 The clocks went back in The UK tonight, It's only 1:10am now.

(F & F from your link is only the Tesco clothing brand, they only have a large selection in certain stores, that was how that announcement came around)

R146 Asda is in the process of getting new owners, should complete soon. They're gonna need to spend a shit ton of money refitting the stores, Walmart really neglected them.

by Anonymousreply 147October 25, 2020 1:18 AM

Tesco West Ken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 25, 2020 1:21 AM

Those Tesco stores allegedly open 24 hours (more like 17 hours) are all the same. The one shown at R148 is merely a stock image.

by Anonymousreply 149October 25, 2020 1:23 AM

[quote]The one shown at [R148] is merely a stock image.

What do you mean?

It's the West Ken store.

by Anonymousreply 150October 25, 2020 1:30 AM

Poor OP/R150 get some sleep. It's late in your empire.

by Anonymousreply 151October 25, 2020 1:32 AM

I wish I'd had time to go into a large British supermarket when I was in London a few years back. I was staying near Victoria Station; the only market in walking distance was a very small Sainsbury's.

by Anonymousreply 152October 25, 2020 1:48 AM

Yeah R152, Victoria stinks. But there is a gigantic Sainsberries on Wilton Road which you missed because you are either a blinkered tourist or because you haven't been there in a quarter of a century.

by Anonymousreply 153October 25, 2020 1:50 AM

R116 Not R64, but I did mention some stores cater to us. Jewel in Ashland Wellington Plaza has an entire aisle if British foods. Almost everything hard to come by here which many of the smaller American stores really mark up. There's candy, including real Cadbury, Drinking Chocolate, treacle cakes, spotted dick, fizzy drinks, salad cream, HP and other brown sauce, clotted cream, Heinz products from the UK, Wheetabix, British soups and Indian foods, and Coleman's seasoning sachets.

The "Green Jewel" closer to downtown has a lot of British foods as well. (West Loop / Des Plaines) There's a few locations up north that stock the British candy, and a few other items.

Mariano's in Ravenswood, Edgewater, and on Ashland Ave. all stock British foods. They have an especially large selection of English cheese.

Many smaller markets throughout the suburbs, but I'm not willing to give up ALL me sources. Treasure Island and Jolly Posh were great sources, but sadly long gone now. Happy shopping to you.

by Anonymousreply 154October 25, 2020 2:01 AM

R151 The Sun pretty much still never sets on British Overseas Territories, even excluding the one's that still have HM The Queen merely as Head of State.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155October 25, 2020 2:07 AM

R154 Treasure Island is here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 25, 2020 2:07 AM

R155 your stupid map: no NZ, OZ, Canada.

by Anonymousreply 157October 25, 2020 2:09 AM

R157 I left those out purposefully. They are Independent and only have The Queen as Head of State.

The rest can and do receive full support from The UK Government in the event of Invasion of Natural Disaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158October 25, 2020 2:16 AM

[quote] The rest can and do receive full support from The UK Government in the event of Invasion of Natural Disaster.

Tell that to Monserrat. Tell that to Diego Garcia. They will laugh in your two faces.

Perfide Albion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159October 25, 2020 2:20 AM

Almost the whole population of Montserrat moved to The UK and were given British Citizenship (entitlement to benefits etc).

Diego Garcia happened over 50 years ago, they mainly settled in Monserrat.

It needs agreement from The US and UK Government s to rectify the situation.

I see your point, but it is approaching a conclusion finally.

by Anonymousreply 160October 25, 2020 3:19 AM

When we had the short-lived Tesco-owned Fresh & Easy chain here in California, they always had a small section of British specialties--not just canned/packaged stuff, but fresh prepared foods like bangers and mash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161October 25, 2020 4:49 AM

R161 I see Marmite. No wonder Tesco went out of business here.

by Anonymousreply 162October 25, 2020 6:22 AM

Publix carries a small selection of British foods including most of the items pictured at R161.

World Market does carry a lot of foreign foods, but they don't move quickly enough and the products are often degraded and stale. I was burned badly on a couple of purchases there and wouldn't get anything else edible from WM.

by Anonymousreply 163October 25, 2020 2:20 PM

You should see the rubbish they have in the American section at Tesco (West Ken.)

by Anonymousreply 164October 25, 2020 2:58 PM

[quote] Tesco (West Ken.)

Does. Not. Exist.

by Anonymousreply 165October 25, 2020 3:18 PM

[quote]Does. Not. Exist.

Who ARE you with this nonsense?

You're an irritant.

by Anonymousreply 166October 25, 2020 3:45 PM

I like a good Trifle

but that Molly's crap looks disgusting

by Anonymousreply 167October 25, 2020 4:34 PM

When OP says West Ken he really means Shepherds Bush.

by Anonymousreply 168October 25, 2020 4:50 PM

^^^^ Holland Park!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 169October 25, 2020 5:18 PM

I could do without the ginger but otherwise here is a very traditional trifle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170October 25, 2020 6:40 PM

[quote] OMG that's another thing I simply cannot buy - Sainsbury's chocolate corn flakes. I just devour them. --OP

Just how fat ARE you?

by Anonymousreply 171October 25, 2020 6:57 PM

R170 my biggest problem with English trifles is the candied fruits or whatever they seem to put on top of some of them. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 172October 25, 2020 7:01 PM

r172 They're just tryin' to prettify it. Flick 'em off, and give 'em to your favorite fruitcake baker(I can be over in 5 minutes)

by Anonymousreply 173October 25, 2020 7:08 PM

Are they chocolate-flavored cornflakes or chocolate-covered cornflakes?

by Anonymousreply 174October 25, 2020 7:11 PM

Here is my lemon marscapone trifle. Time consuming but worth it. People inhaled it. I was pissed none was left over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175October 25, 2020 7:12 PM

Now you know to make 2!

by Anonymousreply 176October 25, 2020 7:23 PM

The trifle was the maiden aunt's only excuse ever to have a drink. She'd lace it with sherry, what kind I don't know but I assume sweet (not the expensive kind, Cyprus or South African).

by Anonymousreply 177October 25, 2020 11:55 PM

[quote]Are they chocolate-flavored cornflakes or chocolate-covered cornflakes?

Covered.

They're unbelievable.

[quote]Just how fat ARE you?

Hon, I said I don't buy them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178October 26, 2020 12:16 AM

OMG my little trifle thread's had almost 2,000 views!!

It's been quite a journey!

Accusations - you're American, the supermarket doesn't exist...

It's been one long crazy journey.

by Anonymousreply 179October 26, 2020 12:22 AM

If you like those cornflakes, you'd probably like these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180October 26, 2020 1:20 AM

The trifle molly seems to have gone quiet.

by Anonymousreply 181October 28, 2020 3:15 PM

It looks easy to prepare from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 182October 28, 2020 3:45 PM

Who could be bothered when you can get Molly's - so cheap, so good.

by Anonymousreply 183October 28, 2020 3:46 PM

[quote] marscapone

Oh, DEAR

by Anonymousreply 184October 28, 2020 3:47 PM

[quote]It looks easy to prepare from scratch.

You have to bake a cake, stew some fruit, make some custard, whip the cream...not so easy.

by Anonymousreply 185October 28, 2020 3:47 PM

You also have to use a Molly house kitchen for best results. Again, not so easy as R185 says.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186October 28, 2020 3:53 PM

R186, what the HELL am I looking at?

by Anonymousreply 187October 28, 2020 8:25 PM

How's the West Ken molly-house doing?

by Anonymousreply 188October 30, 2020 12:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!