Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Meg White of the White Stripes?

Like Jewel, she had terrible teeth but perfect tits. Rock bros at the time wrote her off for her unconventional drum kit setups and "untrained" technique. All of this seemed irrelevant to me—her contributions to the music were still worthy. She did come off a bit aloof and very private, and she's all but disappeared since the White Stripes ended. What do we know about her? I know she's from Gross Point Farms, MI, so I'm guessing she came from money; I also recall that Jack took her surname when they got married.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 11, 2022 6:00 PM

Patti Smith is her Mother in law.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2020 6:44 AM

forgot my r1 link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2020 6:45 AM

Grosse* Point Farms, that is--excuse the typo

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2020 6:46 AM

Former daughter in law of Patti.

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2020 6:48 AM

How, r1?

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2020 6:55 AM

She had bad anxiety and wanted to retreat from live performance, etc. That was the last I heard.

Saw the band when White Blood Cells was brand new. Man, what an album. What a brilliant live shows. One of the best I’d seen at the time. The night that I bought that album, I played it 3x in a row the same night. I couldn’t believe how raw and exciting it was, and how much I related to Jack’s lyrics. Of course, I was only 22 at the time, and it resonates less with me now, but it had such a huge impact on me as a music fan, guitarist, songwriter, etc.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2020 7:29 AM

I hear she fucked her brother :p

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2020 7:35 AM

I wonder if her sex tape release by her ex was real? She retired around the time it got out..

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2020 8:00 AM

Has she shown her perfect tits like Jewel? I think the face is quite ugly, though....

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2020 8:01 AM

Real or faux?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2020 8:08 AM

I didn’t know there was a sex tape. It does look like her in the one photo.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2020 8:15 AM

She announced her retirement just around the same time news got out that there is a sex tape of her..

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2020 10:42 AM

Not long ago someone bumped this 2018 thread about Meg:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2020 10:45 AM

I think she was just there for show and White played drums on the albums.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2020 11:18 AM

Who’s the guy in the SW’s tape?

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2020 1:08 PM

[quote] I think she was just there for show and White played drums on the albums.

Uh, no. Have you actually heard the albums?

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2020 4:53 PM

R14 absolutely not. She drummed on all of those albums. Part of why she got dragged through the mud by rock bro purists was because her drumming was fairly rudimentary. What all of the detractors failed to understand though is that she served exactly what was needed for the music they made—their niche was a punk/garage take on the blues, which really only needs a steady beat to sustain it. Meg was not a virtuoso, but she was a fine drummer in context.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 30, 2020 5:11 PM

Thank you, R17. That idiot “I don’t think Meg played on the albums” hasn’t a clue.

She didn’t play on the albums because ... why? The drumming was too difficult? Yet she was able to replicate the parts perfectly at their countless live shows? Makes no sense

by Anonymousreply 18October 30, 2020 6:35 PM

I found this picture of her which is somewhat recent, and it looks like she's gained a lot of weight. It seems like she lives a bit of a hermit's life. By Jack's account, she was rather aloof when it came to making music—not sure if she didn't want to be there, was secretly jealous of him, or was just psychologically stunted, but it sounds like she was detached from what they were doing:

"She’s one of those people who won’t high five me when I get the touchdown. She viewed me that way of “Oh, big deal, you did it, so what?” Almost every single moment of the White Stripes was like that. We’d be working in the studio and something amazing would happen: I’m like, “Damn, we just broke into a new world right there!” And Meg’s sitting in silence. I remember hearing Ringo Starr say, “I always felt sorry for Elvis, because in the Beatles we had each other to talk about what it felt like. Elvis was by himself.” I was like, “Shit, try being in a two-piece where the other person doesn’t talk!” I would often look at her onstage and say, “I can’t believe she’s up there.” I don’t think she understood how important she was to the band, and to me and to music. She was the antithesis of a modern drummer. So childlike and incredible and inspiring. All the not-talking didn’t matter, because onstage? Nothing I do will top that."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2020 6:53 AM

R19 That’s a shame.

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2020 7:07 AM

She looks sooo midwestern Frau it's unbelievable

by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2020 7:33 AM

So, what the fuck was wrong with her, then? Aspberger's???

by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2020 7:42 AM

Tracey Thorn was a much more interesting counterpart in an ambiguously male/female relationship duo.

by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2020 7:48 AM

As was Annie Lennox.

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2020 7:49 AM

Her drumming served the purpose and yes it was nothing special. If you want to see a girl kick ass on the drums, and I do literally mean a girl, watch this phenom that has rockers from actual rock stars to fans and serious musicians in awe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 12, 2020 8:01 AM

After Karen there was never any need for another girl drummer.

by Anonymousreply 26December 12, 2020 8:02 AM

R19 sounds like she’s just a depressive type person. Or just really depressed!

by Anonymousreply 27January 9, 2021 10:11 PM

Meg’s a better drummer than Dave Grohl.

by Anonymousreply 28January 9, 2021 10:18 PM

Meg’s a better drummer than Dave Grohl.

by Anonymousreply 29January 9, 2021 10:19 PM

r19 I have to say she's one of those people who looks better fat. IDK, it just suits her for some reason.

People said she retired because of "anxiety" like it's a bad thing. Very few mentally stable people can handle that kind of stardom, so I say good for her. It's not like her legacy is going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 30January 9, 2021 10:26 PM

R28 I prefer her drumming to Dave Grohl's—he's technically way more proficient, but does that make him "better"? I don't know. She had a very basic, almost tribal drumming style that you felt in your gut. Dave Grohl is flashy on the drums, but I don't find him more interesting to listen to. It's like the difference between rhythm guitarists and math rock shredders—I'd rather hear a repetitive, evocative chord progression than someone playing scales to show off. You can do things musically that are still interesting and attention-grabbing even at a rudimentary level.

by Anonymousreply 31January 9, 2021 10:51 PM

I love Jack & Meg's little vignette in Jarmusch's COFFEE & CIGARETTES.

In a shadowy hipster bar (complete with jukebox and portait of Lee Marvin) a moody Jack mansplains Tesla coils to Meg (presented here as his sister, they were still doing that gimmick then), then tries to demo a coil of his own to her and predictably cocks it up. After a few quiet moments of thinking Meg coolly identifies the problem, then sends him to toddle off home and rejig the thing so she can drink her coffee and have a smoke in peace.

They weren't good for each other as a couple, and Meg is better off without Jack, but I have to admit I still ship them a little bit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 9, 2021 10:58 PM

R5 She married Patti Smiths Son. I think his name is Jack. Incedentally.

R1 Imagine having Patti Smith as a mother in law. Fucking terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 33January 9, 2021 11:06 PM

R21 I have always thought that Meg White looked like rural version of the frauest frau who ever fraued. She looks like she could just as easily been content working at the DQ, smoking cigs by the dumpster on her breaks. Waiting for her boyfriend Earl to pick her up after her shift to go drink Miller Lites in his truck down at the pond.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 9, 2021 11:08 PM

r34 I think the word you're looking for is norm-core.

by Anonymousreply 35January 9, 2021 11:13 PM

R35 There you go. That's the word.

by Anonymousreply 36January 9, 2021 11:22 PM

R34 / R36 she does have that anywhere USA suburban girl look about her, but I presume she was raised upper-middle-class, at least—she's from Grosse Point Farms, which has the highest tax bracket of any city in Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 37January 9, 2021 11:28 PM

[quote] "She’s one of those people who won’t high five me when I get the touchdown. She viewed me that way of “Oh, big deal, you did it, so what?” Almost every single moment of the White Stripes was like that. We’d be working in the studio and something amazing would happen: I’m like, “Damn, we just broke into a new world right there!” And Meg’s sitting in silence.

Jack sounds unbearably needy, self-involved, histrionic, and somewhat narcissistic. I don't blame easygoing and even-tempered Meg for bailing on this mess.

by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2022 11:26 PM

R37 do you think perhaps Jack originally got close to Meg in the hope of inheriting some money, only to let her go when he realised he couldn't easily lock down the bag and get a cut? (Meg didn't want kids afaik).

by Anonymousreply 39June 6, 2022 11:31 PM

She seems quite shy, introverted and sensitive. flat affect. I always suspected depressive or impaired in some way. Maybe that’s why her rudimentary drum style was so good?

by Anonymousreply 40June 6, 2022 11:42 PM

R10 Faux. The face looks nothing like Meg's and the tits are way too small.

by Anonymousreply 41June 6, 2022 11:52 PM

Reckon the last famous woman on Earth who could be convinced to make a sex tape would be Meg White...not her style.

by Anonymousreply 42June 7, 2022 12:53 AM

My younger brother was obsessed with her. Loved her tits, shy affect and drumming.

Now he’s with a gal who looks just like fat Meg.

by Anonymousreply 43June 7, 2022 1:00 AM

Thanks, R17. You've saved me the trouble of explaining (more in depth, obviously) that the White Stripes were garage rock. The dudebros who sneer at her drumming ignore that because they're triggered that she was in a successful band while their bands all failed. Regardless, I absolutely love the White Stripes and I'm a huge Jack White fan. I wish they could have stayed together, but I think Meg is introverted and struggled to deal with the media attention. It's a shame they fell out with each other. Jack loved her very much.

by Anonymousreply 44June 7, 2022 1:06 AM

[quote] It's a shame they fell out with each other. Jack loved her very much.

Did he love *her*, or what she did for his career?

Call her all the unflattering names under the sun, the fact remains that her strange if homely mystique and cool and grace under pressure made The White Stripes what they were. Hell, Jack took her last name for the band and for his own life. Without Meg, could Jack ever have made it as big? I doubt it.

This seems to be one of those difficult relationships where a choice had to be made between the personal and the professional, and where perhaps one or both parties mixed these up.

This is all speculation, of course, as no-one knows what really happened, and honestly it’s no-one else’s business. Still, it’s human nature to be curious, and I for one still am. For my money (let me reiterate, pure conjecture on my part): Meg loved the local musician Jack she knew back in Detroit, and wanted to be with him in obscurity again, but while Jack in his turn loved Meg, he wouldn’t give up fame and success (and access to more famous musicians & beautiful women) just to be her bar-gigging or backyard-banjo-playing husband.

by Anonymousreply 45June 7, 2022 1:58 PM

Self-trained or poorly trained artists have to decide between relearning or continuing on with reckless habits.

Also, Jack may have spawned musical experiences, but each came with 20 demands for “Little Room”..

by Anonymousreply 46June 7, 2022 2:20 PM

[quote] Jack may have spawned musical experiences, but each came with 20 demands for “Little Room”..

Sorry, maybe I’m an idiot, but this only makes partial sense to me. You mean to say that Meg’s unwillingness to embrace a degree of fame and a larger stage would always have hamstrung Jack?

by Anonymousreply 47June 7, 2022 2:48 PM

Like a moldy log the raccoons piss on.

by Anonymousreply 48June 7, 2022 2:55 PM

Jack’s blue-dyed hair makes him look like a trendster prick trying to look young 🤡

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 7, 2022 3:02 PM

‘Blue Orchid’ is the most monstrous performance of a drum-line put to tape in contemporary rock, and while it was popular on release, 21 years on Meg doesn’t get the respect she deserves for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 7, 2022 3:32 PM

Seeing Meg shed silent tears when Jack serenades her with 'White Moon', for the last time before she leaves the band, hurts my heart every time I see it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 7, 2022 9:48 PM

"Did he love *her*, or what she did for his career?"

You do realise, R45, that Jack White has been in multiple bands and has had a successful solo career since the White Stripes split up? I like Meg, but she's done nothing since departing the WS. Jack White is extremely talented and has built a much deserved reputation within the music industry.

by Anonymousreply 52June 11, 2022 1:41 PM

Yeah but none of his projects have been as good or as popular as White Stripes.

by Anonymousreply 53June 11, 2022 4:58 PM

If it is her on leaked tape, perfect tits. The guy behind her has some dad bod.

by Anonymousreply 54June 11, 2022 6:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!