Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Rickie Lee Jones?

She's underappreciated here on the DL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 17, 2021 12:27 PM

Such a great song......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2020 3:18 PM

LOL @ R1 - the gray box.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2020 3:21 PM

Muriel keeps fuckin' with how the links show (or don't)

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2020 3:22 PM

She's always been on my playlist for this Tom Waits song. Love the way she does it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2020 3:40 PM

Haven't heard this in quite a while...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2020 3:44 PM

This song rips my fucking heart out and stomps on it.

Stunning.

A few really good live versions out there, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2020 4:53 PM

According to her website, a 2020 tour was postponed due to public health concerns, saying her only source of income is streaming with a paypal account given. There's also links to two youtube videos that she made in 2020 from her home. Go to her youtube channel and there are more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2020 12:49 AM

^^^ OP .. So sorry, I didn't mean to duplicate the link in your original post. .. Honestly, it didn't show up when I first stepped into this thread, and only appeared after I posted myself. .. Nevermind.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2020 12:53 AM

Sooooo mediocre. So derivative.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2020 12:57 AM

She was higher than a kite when she accepted her Best New Artist Grammy.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2020 12:59 AM

She had beef with Joni Mitchell. I mean, she did copy Joni's entire look.

Regular Musician readers may recall the sniping between Mitchell and Rickie Lee Jones in 1985. Finally Mitchell said that she figured Jones must have been subjected to constant Joni comparisons when she was starting, and had developed a psychological need to "kill Mommy." The kill Mommy syndrome reappeared in an interview with Suzanne Vega in the February issue of the Irish magazine Hot Press. Said Vega, "I think that I have a tendency to write about things that are difficult, y'know? I prefer to write about things that are realistic. Partly, in a way, it's a reaction against people who had come before me like Joni Mitchell or James Taylor, who I felt wrote about things on a more superficial level..." Ouch. Synchronicity can provide instant relief, though: Simultaneous with the Hot Press interview was a Sunday New York Times piece on '70s rock that noted, "Joni Mitchell, both successfully and unsuccessfully, looked into African music before Paul Simon and to jazz-inflected pop before Sting."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2020 1:31 AM

I fucking LOVE her and have been lucky enough to see her in concert twice.

She’s still around and making music. Recently I saw a video of her in (what I assume to be) living room studio. Didn’t sound that great, but she was having fun, and it made me happy.

She’s one of a kind.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2020 1:37 AM

She's basically a blast from the past. A one hit wonder.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2020 1:47 AM

I have been curious about her relationship and breakup with Waits. Did they have an issue with H?

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2020 1:48 AM

Ha!

I thought o RLJ just this morning.

Don’t have any idea why a lyric she sang popped into my head.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2020 1:52 AM

Does she twerk?

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2020 2:08 AM

R14, when I saw her live at Town Hall, Tom Waits was in the audience behind us. My ex and I heard him first, and turned around to see him.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2020 2:12 AM

Her wikipedia says:

[quote]In 2021, Jones' autobiography Last Chance Texaco will be published by Grove Atlantic.

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2020 2:16 AM

Wow, after reading Waits' Wiki page I learned that

He's still alive! Thought he'd died

also

He dated Bette Midler!

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2020 3:05 AM

Danny's All Star Joint is my favorite

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2020 3:22 AM

Did anyone buy mp3s from Rickie's website back in the day?

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2020 3:33 AM

Wasn’t she all born again? I can never respect that shit.

by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2020 3:48 AM

Great threaf, but disappointing, only OP's R2's, and R7's links show any preview. Why are some threads like this?

by Anonymousreply 23October 22, 2020 3:54 AM

No she wasn't born again.

by Anonymousreply 24October 22, 2020 3:54 AM

She lives in New Orleans and is a private person with a beautiful garden.

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2020 3:57 AM

R23 it's Muriel

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2020 6:46 PM

R20: Danny's All Star Joint is a fave of mine, too, as well as Woody And Dutch On a Slow Train to Peking. Guess I like to tap my feet.

by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2020 6:50 PM

it was Michelle Shocked who got all born again

by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2020 7:09 PM

[quote] with a beautiful garden.

are we talking about her vagina?

by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2020 7:20 PM

Rickie Lee was way before Michele Shocked, you moron

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2020 2:44 PM

R30 Bitch, I will slap you down!

I know she was, but Rickie was never born again, in ANY case. The only person that comes to mind in rock/pop/folk rock was, as I said, Michelle Shocked.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2020 7:45 PM

Fabulous talent. That whispery delivery was copied by Cyndi Lauper in "True Colors" (Rolling Stone said it sounded like a deliberate attempt) and is heard by many singers today. "Everything I wanted" by Billie Eilish sounds very RLJesque. Even after all these years, her lyrics can still stop you cold. "You and me streetlight/ we'll paint the town gray/oh we are so many lamps who've lost our way", or "I will love the sound of my sheets/for you have moved beneath them".

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2020 8:33 PM

I can barely get through the very short "On Saturday Afternoons in 1963" without tearing up.

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2020 10:18 PM

I remember being at the bar on a Friday night late in 1989, and coming home very frustrated and a little buzzed.

And the video for "Satellites" came on VH1 or MTV, and I hadn't known she was doing new music....I watched it and just bawled.

It was close to Christmas and I was so happy to see her.....all the snow falling in the video (which yes, looks terribly fake now).....so sweet....and yet it made me melancholy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2020 1:30 AM

Does she sing that way because her teeth are enormous?

by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2020 1:49 AM

Her teeth look like they have old school caps. They are perfectly straight and nice! But yes, a little large.

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2020 3:10 AM

All Ms. Jones' concerts for 2020 have been cancelled and she would really appreciate it if you would send her some money.

Paypal or Venmo, preferably.

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2020 4:16 AM

Well she’s no Kim carnes that’s for sure!

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2020 4:33 AM

thankfully unlike Screechy Carnes, Rickie can actually sing

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2020 4:35 AM

My fave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2020 4:57 AM

Her version of “Something Cool” is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2020 7:20 PM

WEHT to Rickie Lee Jones? Well, she was a druggie, that's what happened to her. She did a lot of stuff, but eventually she became a heroin addict. She lived in Paris for a long time. She always kind of reminded me of Patti Smith in that she's very full of herself and considers herself this great "artiste." I've liked a few of her songs but she seems pretty awful.

I remember a review of one of her shows. This was after the success of her first album. The reviewer said she acted weird (probably she was stoned) and was rubbing up against the members of her band and commented "I always wanted to be a stripper. Maybe I'll incorporate it into my act." The reviewer is dismayed but hopes things will get better and mutters "Maybe she'll pull it off." His companion said "The show or her dress?"

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2020 7:32 PM

Give a listen to one or more of the tracks on "Naked Songs/Live and Acoustic." I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2020 7:34 PM

Listening to her single hit, "Chuck E's In Love", the wordplay is so wonderful. "We saw when we were at the Pantages/And whatever it is that he's got up his.....sleeve/I hope it isn't contagious" and "What's her name/Is that her there/Christ he's even combed his hair/Is that her?/Whats-her-name."

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2020 7:44 PM

I must say that I love the lyrics for Satellites, but the song itself is like a pile of vomit in sonic form. Yuck! Such great lyrics ruined by an UGLY song.

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2020 8:16 PM

"but the world is turning faster then it did when I was youg"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2020 9:40 PM

Love her cover of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 24, 2020 9:49 PM

Dat Dere is sublime

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 25, 2020 3:28 AM

Late to the party here, but I was WHET Rickie Lee Jones! So youtube showed me this from Arsenio in the 90's. She seems weird and a bit disconnected from reality so, I am guessing besides whatever drugs, she has some disorder. I do love a lot of her music. Wish her well. And Arsenio too! (WHET Arsenio...but we have another thread for that!).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 8, 2021 5:50 AM

Her meds seem a lot better here. Also interesting abt origin of Chuck E.'s in Love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 8, 2021 5:53 AM

I think she’s a huge handful as a person but what the fuck do I care about that? I’ll never know her. I adore her music — saw her in concert many times in the 80s. The Magazine is one of my favorite albums, period.

by Anonymousreply 51February 8, 2021 6:02 AM

[quote]She lives in New Orleans and is a private person with a beautiful garden.

This is true. She's been living under the radar in a small house in New Orleans for years, like Spider Stacy from The Pogues. Very low-key life and seems happy.

by Anonymousreply 52February 8, 2021 6:05 AM

Isn’t she the sister of Spike Jones and a distance cousin to Star Jones Reynolds?

by Anonymousreply 53February 8, 2021 6:27 AM

Always thought she was part Black.

by Anonymousreply 54February 8, 2021 9:59 AM

Her song Horses was covered by a local singer called Daryl Braithwaite in 1990. It is now a national favourite. Most Australians now think he wrote it, haha.

For any fans of Inspector Morse, in the episode Masonic Mysteries in which an old criminal continually harasses the cultivated inspector, including by setting fire to his lounge room whilst he is asleep in it and destroying his priceless music collection. Seen on the self are some Rickie Lee Jones cassettes bursting into flame. I always thought that was a signifier of his good taste. That he owned them, I mean, not that they melted into nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 8, 2021 10:10 AM

Oh God the mumbling.

by Anonymousreply 56February 8, 2021 11:25 AM

R55 Not bad but it sounds strained. RLJ's version has so much more soul IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 57February 17, 2021 12:20 PM

Why do people want these characters from 40 years ago to be a thing?

by Anonymousreply 58February 17, 2021 12:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!