Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Worst SNL ever

Who writes this? Every inch and moment a disaster. This is like some cringe worthy middle school production where even the parents leave the auditorium. I can’t believe this is the best of NYC comedy writers.

by Anonymousreply 47October 22, 2020 11:40 PM

It really is bad tonight!

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2020 4:42 AM

Jim Carey is dreadful as Biden. Horrible choice.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2020 4:44 AM

I have seen better sketches and parody commercials written by high schoolers, compared to every single thing SNL's aired tonight.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2020 4:46 AM

Bring back SCTV!

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2020 4:46 AM

I still can’t stop being shocked that Weekend Update continues to be hosted by those two unfunny douches. Lorne Michaels must be aware of this, too, but I literally think he has a conscious sadistic streak enjoying continuing to foist them and their unfunny news segment on viewers.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2020 4:47 AM

I will grant them this -- it is just simply impossible to write satire when the real thing is already such a shit show without need of any further embellishment.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2020 4:48 AM

[quote] I can’t believe this is the best of NYC comedy writers.

Who said that they were the best?

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2020 4:49 AM

WAIT! WHAT! Last week was truly dreadful already. And this week is even worse? OMFG!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2020 4:51 AM

R6 makes a very good point.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2020 4:51 AM

Humorless twats...the whole lot of ‘em.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2020 4:53 AM

No need to do political satire all the time, there are other shitty things in the world to pick apart with humor! Anyway, crippling political correctness must have constrained their creativity right now.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2020 4:53 AM

The show is an absolute disaster. It's less funny than a Saturday night CNN broadcast, with the exact same topics and material.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2020 4:57 AM

Turn that dreadful shit off, then, and finger your holes, boys.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2020 4:57 AM

MadTV never got political. They created great characters and wrote good sketches. Why the fuck can’t SNL do that anymore?? We all know why, but no one wants to say it.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2020 5:02 AM

SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS.

Jim Carrey sucks extra as Biden. It's a comedy show, shouldn't you higher comedians that are actually funny?

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2020 5:09 AM

The only one even worth a giggle was 80's cocaine wife. I'v met people like her.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2020 5:11 AM

[quote] Jim Carey is dreadful as Biden. Horrible choice.

Haven't actually watched him but from the pictures I've seen Jim is just doing Fireman Bill again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2020 5:34 AM

Why is Benito Skinner not on the show?

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2020 5:38 AM

R18 Thank you! Been saying this for about a year now. He could shake SNL up so HARD

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2020 5:40 AM

It's never been great but it's been atrocious for going on 20 years. Tina Fey was the last funny cast member/head writer. SNL trying to be woke is the real joke.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2020 5:41 AM

Lorne Michaels needs to be replaced.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2020 5:51 AM

I think you guys are being too hard on SNL (but not tonight’s show). Kate McKinnon is almost always great, and I do like Che & Jost lots. In spite of some missteps, last week had some great stuff in it.

That’s said, tonight was a train wreck. And no one – NO ONE escaped unharmed. What’s more troubling, is Lorne Michael’s need to demean and humiliate Joe Biden each week by presenting him as a doddering old man - which he clearly has shown he’s not. WTF is in Jim Carrey’s head to want to be a party to thiz?

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2020 6:03 AM

[quote] We all know why, but no one wants to say it.

Say it, R14.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2020 6:22 AM

Bring back Mad TV. Time for a reality check!!! And a big chunk of wisdom on the side. Looking at the sketches now, it could be regarded as racist. We elders weren’t so fucking politically correct about everything

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2020 6:34 AM

I’ve said many times I don’t know how the show is still on. Anytime I come across it while flipping through channels, I’ll sometimes try to watch it and I can never get past 5 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2020 6:37 AM

Mad TV was insane. I remember when they made Bobby Lee (Korean) play John McCain. I was howling. It was absurd. He also shit himself on set while playing Connie Chung because of heroin. Most of the sketches would never fly today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2020 6:46 AM

WELL, R14 ???

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2020 7:08 AM

I'm sorry Jim Carry needs to go. First of all he looks nothing like Biden even with the makeup, secondly he is so stuck in the past all he is doing is playing his old characters which is so, so tire and not even funny these days. The first guy that ever did Biden was a LOT funnier.

Let go of the Biden is old jokes. It's not working anymore since the debates. He proved himself so no one really thinks that true anymore and part of humor always has a bit of truth to it. Right now Joe is a sympathetic caring public image. The old thing doesn't work. Maybe turn him into a practical joker on Trump. Now that would be funny.

Americans about to vote for him don't want to laugh at him, they want to laugh with him. Stop pandering to Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2020 7:46 AM

"Biden is senile" is lazy, unfunny, and it is dangerous false equivalency. Biden is a respected professional politician. Trump is a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2020 4:35 PM

Agreed about the "old" jokes. I liked what The Onion did with him years ago--turned him into a Camaro-drivin' Spicoli type who would sneak beers up on the White House sitting in a lawn chair.

Carrey is basically awful as Biden. There is a core there where he's tuned into the Biden vibe, and there are moments when he seems to be channeling him, but nothing can stop Jim Carrey from mugging like Jim Carrey. That Fireman Bill call was a good one. Or, I would say, The Mask. He can't help doing that weird thing with his mouth. Why did they get him to be their new Biden??

[quote]Americans about to vote for him don't want to laugh at him, they want to laugh with him. Stop pandering to Deplorables.

This is 100% true.

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2020 4:52 PM

The show hasn't been this bad since that Jean Doumanian era. And it's possibly even worse.

If you take out the music segments,and Weekend Update (which has its own writers) they have ONE HOUR to fill - not counting commercials. They have literally DOZENS of writers. It seems to me that you'd have to try very hard to be as un-funny as the show is now. And I don't mean "un-funny" by normal standards. I mean by SNL standards, which were already too low.

by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2020 5:00 PM

Also, the casual and sometimes more-than-casual racism on that show is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2020 5:19 PM

Wasn’t Woody Harrelson playing Biden at one time? He was way better.

by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2020 5:26 PM

Snl has horrible writers that only got their jobs based on who they know or tribal connecfions. Thats why they suck. That lot is on their 3rd generation of nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2020 5:36 PM

This show wants to make fun of Trump and Biden equally as if they are two sane candidates in normal times. SNL let Trump host the show when he was running for President so they should have been cancelled for that shit. Alec Baldwin is a giant douche who I really don't want to see. The whole show is just so unfunny and off.

by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2020 5:45 PM

Well folks, this is a pure example of "get woke, go broke". We are now in an entertainment business environment where you have to constantly walk on eggshells, try not to offend anyone (particularly on Twitter), stay politically correct constantly and put intersectionality & diversity over quality of content. Also, god forbid you hire anyone with the slightest flaw in their background or else you'll be chased by the SJW mob. This is why there's nothing good on TV anymore.

by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2020 6:21 PM

[quote] shouldn't you higher comedians that are actually funny?

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 37October 18, 2020 6:30 PM

Yeah, but mocking the head-bobbling female plant behind Trump was pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2020 6:37 PM

R38, I was just about to post about nodding lady. How she kept ramping it up.. She had me laughing out loud by myself.

by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2020 7:02 PM

It’s not that bad. It’s just that we’ve been accustomed to so much better in entertainment now. I only watch for guest stars/musicians that I like, and for Weekend Update. The rest is usually pretty below-average content.

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2020 7:27 PM

SNL this season has 26 full-time writers. (The full list is at the link.) 26! That includes 4 "head writers," 1 "senior writer" and 3 "supervising writers." How can they have such a huge writing staff and turn out such crap every week? If each writer wrote just two or three funny skits per year, they would have more than enough funny material for a full season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2020 7:38 PM

Sketch shows just seem kind of dated in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2020 7:44 PM

Am I the only one who can't stand Kenan Thompson? I remember him from All That and thought he was horrible on that. Kel Mitchell was the better of the two on Kenan & Kel. I don't get his staying power. Every character is the same.

Also, I haven't watched SNL much since Jimmy Fallon did Weekend Updste, but do Colin Jost or Michael Che do any skits or are they just WU?

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2020 7:44 PM

R43. I wonder why it never worked out for Kel. He was so much funnier. But whip smart comedic people can often be hard to work with.

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2020 7:58 PM

R44, didn't Kel have some sort of breakdown? They did work with Dan Schneider, I wonder if he creeped on them.

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2020 8:01 PM

R43, I agree with you. Thompson has his moments, but mostly he does the same voice and always looks like he's about to break up. He's fine, I guess, relative to the material, but I have no idea why he gets such praise.

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2020 8:02 PM

R 26: thanks for the link to that hilarious sketch . What are you talking about Re: “he shit himself because of the heroin?” Sorry to be so dense but please advise

by Anonymousreply 47October 22, 2020 11:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!