Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Great Britain going into lockdown

Pubs ordered to close; people told to avoid public transportation; schools to close for two weeks..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 19, 2020 7:46 PM

good luck!

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2020 2:20 AM

Meanwhile maskless non-locked down Sweden's herd immunity is paying off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2020 2:23 AM

[quote]Great Britain going into lockdown

"Great Britain" is not a country. The article you linked says nothing remotely resembling your headline.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2020 2:24 AM

Britain is the Florida of Europe. They were out in crowds getting drunk with no masks on at all hours of the night even with a curfew. Britain is big on the QAnon bullshit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2020 2:25 AM

R2...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2020 2:27 AM

R2 your article is over 2 weeks old. And USA is not Sweden.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2020 2:28 AM

R4 What?

The situation at the moment is far worse in Macron's France.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2020 2:30 AM

Britain has become a veritable shithole with a huge welfare class more interested in boozing and running in packs and Little Englanders who are limey Trumpsters. They refuse to isolate or mask up.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2020 2:31 AM

There is no such thing as herd immunity with the different strains. Sweden's standoffish nature has helped them immensely, but they paid a huge toll compared to its neighbors of Norway and Denmark.

And I'll repeat - as someone whose mother is from Sweden and I spent many summers there and have a lot of Swedish relatives - the reports from my cousins are absolutely NOT that life went on as normal.

Most people worked from home, schools were closed, older people didn't leave their homes, my younger relatives did not see their parents or friends for MONTHS. They most certainly had a shutdown and CONTINUE to do so, despite the images being shown.

It's just not true that Sweden is going about their business like New Zealand who has no cases again. They are being very careful and it's really fucked up that people believe that they are beating this with herd immunity. BULLSHIT.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2020 2:36 AM

[quote]They most certainly had a shutdown

They most certainly did not.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2020 2:47 AM

Has anyone ever seen Great Britain and Wisconsin in the same room together? Because they seem to be the same reckless, drunken idiot.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2020 2:54 AM

R10 - fuck you - yes they did shut down a LOT. I'll take my relatives first-hand accounts over your bullshit.

Travel was restricted, schools were closed, seniors were advised to stay at home (and they did), most people worked from home.

Give me your first-hand experience and your sources of Sweden's no lockdown policy. It may have not been as severe as Italy, but they certainly restricted a lot of normal, everyday life.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2020 2:55 AM

[quote]schools were closed

The country never closed schools for children under the age of 16. And school is attendance is mandatory.

Restaurants, bars, businesses and factories remained open.

Peope were given advisories, therefore restrictions, but there was no lockdown.

Sweden doesn't even suggest the wearing of masks.

So please, cut the bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2020 3:08 AM

^Peope were given advisories, there where restrictions

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2020 3:10 AM

From the BBC: "Covid: What are the lockdown rules in place across Europe?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2020 3:13 AM

My friend lives in Stockholm. From his Facebook posts (going to gym, going to teach at university, eating out), Sweden seems pretty open to me. And no second wave.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2020 3:20 AM

[quote]Meanwhile maskless non-locked down Sweden's herd immunity is paying off.

Actually no, Sweden had a very high number of C19 cases and deaths compared to countries who implemented lock down rules. US, UK, Italy, Spain and Sweden occupied the top 5 spots affected by C19.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2020 3:23 AM

R17 Not true.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2020 3:28 AM

Trolls gotta troll. Exhibit: the Sweden Did it Right, troll. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2020 3:31 AM

[quote]US, UK, Italy, Spain and Sweden occupied the top 5 spots affected by C19.

There are still other countries that have had a higher death rate per capita than those listed.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2020 3:33 AM

Facts are still facts R18, even if you deny them.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2020 3:35 AM

[quote] Meanwhile maskless non-locked down Sweden's herd immunity is paying off.

After suffering a death rate almost as high as the clisterfuck-gripped USA:

[quote] The country’s cumulative death rate since the beginning of the pandemic rivals that of the United States....

The Swedes sneered at masks calling them counterproductive. The Japanese meanwhile uniformly adopted masks and their death rate has only been about a thousand or so. The US death rate is about 80 times higher than Japan’s. Are we catching on yet? If you want to look at a model foreign country, it’s not fucking Sweden.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2020 3:36 AM

It's that bad again?

The fall spikes will keep getting worse, but for some reason I don't think America will implement as strict of measures as they did in the spring - even if certain areas should.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2020 3:36 AM

Sorry a thousand or so is not Japan’s death *rate* of course, it’s the absolute number.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2020 3:37 AM

R21 Your "facts " are wrong. There are still other countries that have had a higher death rate per capita than those listed.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2020 3:40 AM

Sweden's deaths per million is just slightly lower than Italy's. Herd immunity didn't work out well for Sweden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2020 3:42 AM

Yes it absolutely is true, r18. One in 1,689 people have died in Sweden. One in 8,438 have died in Germany.

Sweden simply doesn’t care that its population is being heavily attritted away by the disease. It’s very Swedish.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2020 3:42 AM

R27 I was responding to this comment: "US, UK, Italy, Spain and Sweden occupied the top 5 spots affected by C19." Again, I will repeat, it is not true.

And as for Japan. It is a very unusual case.

From the BBC. Scroll down to "Does Japan have special immunity?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2020 3:48 AM

R7 The situation is not worse in France, They just react faster than Boris' UK by instituting a curfew in some big cities. As did Spain and Italy and some cities in Germany. The second wave affects all of Western Europe.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2020 4:08 AM

I didn't add countries like Peru, Brazil and Ecuador because their health care system is disproportionately worse compared to western countries.

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2020 4:11 AM

R36 Oh, oh I see. You didn't add Belgium either. And what's your excuse for that?

R29 No you're wrong. The current situation, new daily cases, is worse in France and Spain compared to the UK.

by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2020 4:28 AM

R31 The situation is not worse in France or Spain, another pos ignorant spreading total bullshit

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2020 4:33 AM

WHO calls herd immunity approach 'immoral'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2020 4:47 AM

R32 Once again: you are wrong.

For the last 5 days daily new cases in the UK have been circa 87,700. France circa 123,500.

And note: France has a smaller population than the UK. And so far France has carried out half the number of tests than the UK.

by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2020 4:59 AM

That's great that they're going to close the stable door after the horse has bolted.

They need to implement things that will make life outside of home safer and not resort to just trying to shut it down. FYI, life inside of home is not safe either, since most infections are from family members.

by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2020 5:07 AM

Okay fine r35 but the biggest problems is rule following. People are fucking babies and just can't follows rules. Why? Because their mommies and daddies spoiled them and they don't have to listen to anyone. They pass that shit down to their troll kids who behave the same way. That's why this is happening. 80% are fucking asshole babies! And the rest of us have to put up with their bullshit! FACT!

by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2020 5:16 AM

R34 Uk population: 66, 83 millions France population: 67,06 millions. Wtf are you talking about???

Covid19 France : Case number of Deaths: 33 303

Covids19 UK: positive case 502 978. Case number of deaths

Hoping to avoid a national reconfinement, the British government is stepping up local actions to try to control the spread of the virus, which has already killed more than 42,350 there (including 33 in the last 24 hours), the heaviest toll in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 37October 18, 2020 5:20 AM

R13 - you need to get off right-wing websites.

Everything you stated is WRONG.

Tell me how my cousin (a stockbroker) was working from home dealing with an 8 and 6 year old and that the schools were open.

Tell me how his wife - an MD - went to their sommarstuga instead of home so that she didn't pass it on to her husband or kids after working all day trying to save COVID patients.

You're a fool.

by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2020 5:22 AM

R34 Just stop the misinformation now; you bullshiter. And since is France has a smaller population?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2020 5:30 AM

^since when

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2020 5:32 AM

R34 Lol This is why I don't trust the British. They always have the need to vomit on France for absolutely no reason.

Here is our official Covid19 case:

In Orange (on the left) confirmed case: 834 770 In purple (on the right) Deaths : 33 303

Also France don't have a smaller population.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2020 5:41 AM

Lockdown in England

Coming soon to America. And we all know the situation will be ten times worse in America

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2020 6:01 AM

[quote]This is why I don't trust the British. They always have the need to vomit on France for absolutely no reason.

There's a reason.

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2020 6:13 AM

R43 Oh really ? what's that reason? C'mon go ahead, I'm VERY curious to know "the reason" What, Guillaume the conqueror ??

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2020 6:51 AM

R43 The reason is that you are a fkn Brexshiter and of course it's always France's fault or Germany's fault or other country. Not about your bigotery. Here's upthread, the proof a British was spreading LIES again on French people. Your medias are still on French bashiing while you will never find a French media being this hateful towards the British, never, ever. Tell me your "reason" now?

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2020 6:58 AM

R38 Since when is the BBC a right wing web site? See the link at R15. Scroll down to "Sweden".

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2020 6:25 PM

According to worldometers.info which keeps tabs on the Covid situation world wide:

Population France: 65,316,637

Population UK: 67,992,038

France has a smaller population than the UK.

Total tests Covid:

France: 13,336,528

UK: 28,986,852

New cases last 5 days, see post R34: "For the last 5 days daily new cases in the UK have been circa 87,700. France circa 123,500."

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2020 6:36 PM

Do you think America would actually "lock down" again - non-essential businesses closed, a lot of essential businesses closing early, etc.

I'm not saying it should or shouldn't, but will it?

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2020 6:59 PM

R47 Go fuck yourself imbecile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 19, 2020 5:19 AM

R47 Lol really the Far right bigot like you can't handle the true. In Fact the UK is the one having a smaller poputaion than France and even thinking about that can give morons like you them a heart attack. As if the reality was unberreable to you so you need to lie and lie and lie again. To yourself first. I know better than you how many people we ahve in my own country.

France : 67, 19 millions, whether you like or not you MF. Deal with it !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 19, 2020 5:27 AM

R47 Oh and worldometer. info has never been a viable or official source. Only for brainless like you

Here's the UK demaography.

"By 2031, the United Kingdom is expected to have a total population of 67.1 million, with the majority of the population growth coming from net migration"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 19, 2020 5:33 AM

US never did a lockdown the first time around. And we'll be paying the price all winter long. 70,000 new cases today.

by Anonymousreply 52October 19, 2020 5:36 AM

It's not the lockdown that matters the most. It's crucial during the lockdown to test extensively and quarantine all infected people strictly until the virus is gone from their system. But it is probably too late for western countries, since they have let the virus spread far and wide for months and the virus could get back in from neighboring countries who do little or nothing about the pandemic. Just pray for a vaccine before things really get out of control.

by Anonymousreply 53October 19, 2020 5:45 AM

I'm so sorry for everyone still being affected by this bastard thing. I'm sure it will come back again into our community, but for the time being I hope everyone stays safe.

by Anonymousreply 54October 19, 2020 6:00 AM

Gee, if we could all get 'herd mentality,' OP, maybe Trump will be re-elected.

Is that your point?

by Anonymousreply 55October 19, 2020 6:15 AM

/ / sorry, OP, I meant R2. I think.

It's late.

Anyway, herd immunity is code for let the poorest and weakest die off, which I just don't think is what a decent society would do.

by Anonymousreply 56October 19, 2020 6:17 AM

[quote]In Fact the UK is the one having a smaller poputaion than France and even thinking about that can give morons like you them a heart attack.

The moron is you.

These are the official numbers from the governments of France and the UK as they appear on their government websites.:

Office for National Statistics. Population UK: 66,796,800

République française vie publique. Population France: 66,524 000

The UK has a larger population than France.

If you would like to dispute the official numbers, take it up with their governments.

by Anonymousreply 57October 19, 2020 7:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!