Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who has a BRAVA?

This oven is all over social media. Anyone have and use one? How is it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 19, 2020 5:07 PM

gurl that there is a toaster oven , git to Big Lots and spend yo money on something sensible SMH

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 10:52 PM

Ah yes, I remember this technology....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 10:53 PM

It has a built in camera instead of a glass window.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 10:58 PM

If I'm going to buy a toaster oven then I'm buying this one with her pussy juice included. Yum!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 10:58 PM

It costs over 1k, and it cooks with light!

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 11:01 PM

I have been eyeing this toaster oven with a touch screen display in the same price range OP. Unfortunately been sold out for 6 months.

1,000 is a lot though. Most toaster ovens crap out after 2 or 3 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 11:02 PM

Well, the father in the vid is super hot.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 11:06 PM

Can it reheat pizza?

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 11:12 PM

Get a Breville. A third the price and oh so much better and more reliable.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 11:13 PM

R4 I’m not sure that Sonja Morgan toaster oven ever made it to market. At the time, I saw a clip of her cooking salmon in a toaster oven and it was shockingly amateurish. Really bad. Her main source of income is possibly the performance fee for being on RHONY. I think her fashion, appliance, and possibly burlesque shows don’t actually earn any real money. Across the franchise, many of the housewives tried to spin off brands and business (Gretchen from OC, Phaedra/Nene/Sheree from Atlanta, etc). I think most fail, like poor old Sonja.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 11:14 PM

I’ve never had nor used a toaster oven, but this one looks cool. I’d wait for the price to come down though.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 11:16 PM

That promotional clip has very good production values, it’s gorgeous. But no, I’d pass on the product at that price unless I had a really tiny kitchen and was absolutely certain it could replace a conventional oven. Maybe for a tiny home.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 11:20 PM

I have this Kremlin-era Toaster oven. It’s over ten years old and looks like new and works great. It’s a homely old thing but super handy. I got it “free” with Amex points on Amazon and it’s been great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 11:24 PM

I don't know, fellas. From 0 to 500 degrees in one second? Pretty fancy!

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2020 11:29 PM

If you are spending 1100 dollars to make toast then you have more money than sense.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2020 11:35 PM

[quote]I’ve never had nor used a toaster oven,

If you are single or just two of you they work great if you get a decent one like a Beville or Cuisinart. some even come with convection heating. I have a very expensive Bosch oven but it's really a wast to fire that thing up for 1/2 an hour just to heat something up for two. Toaster oven works just as good. In some cases better because the heat is more concentrated.

The only negative is baking. Large ovens are better for things like cakes and cookies and things that need gentle heating.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2020 11:36 PM

I think it needs to be wired up on a cursory glance.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 11:38 PM

R17 Wait, what? Like a 220 line? That would be a real dealbreaker (circuit breaker, too)

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2020 11:45 PM

I wonder how much a replacement bulb may cost? I’d be interested to see how they manage warranty claims. That unit is full of expensive components, sensors and a special bulb. I think daily hard use (roommates, kids, etc.) combined with air pockets in most foods that can expand rapidly when heated so quickly and cause food to burst and splatter all over the sensors and camera lens. They must have tested the shit out of the technology for a UL rating, but still it looks expensive and really easy to fuck it all up.

Is Suvee still in business? That looked similar except it was a robotic steam convection unit that looked really tricky to run reliably over time. Find these at your local tag sales and flea markets soon...

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2020 11:54 PM

R16, agreed. I haven't used the broiler in my oven for so long, I'm not even sure it works. If there's anything I need to broil, I use the toaster oven. It's also great for toasting things that won't fit in a toaster, like corn bread or pound cake, Dollar Tree or otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2020 12:21 AM

They’re not selling an oven, they’re selling a lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2020 12:28 AM

Consumer Reports just reviewed toaster ovens and the Breville models were all at the top of the list.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2020 12:44 AM

Amateurs!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2020 12:48 AM

This one was a big deal briefly, but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2020 1:42 AM

Stick with the original - they are always the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2020 1:56 AM

My Easy-Bake Oven melted at 350°

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2020 5:46 AM

NYT Florence Fabricant:

The microwave oven did not revolutionize home cooking. Nor did sous-vide gadgetry. Now there’s a new contender: the Brava oven, a countertop appliance that cooks from what amounts to light bulbs — a system called Pure Light that was originally developed in the solar industry. Easy-Bake for grown-ups? Perhaps. At a demonstration a few months ago, I was struck by the ease of use and the results, which include the ability to cook a steak that’s invitingly seared on the outside and properly rosy within. The oven can reach 500 degrees in seconds, without preheating. What was really impressive was how several ingredients, like proteins and vegetables, can be precisely cooked simultaneously. This is not an appliance that I would want to own, and it teaches you nothing about cooking. But someone who wants robotically prepared food may find it to be a blessing.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2020 7:33 AM

My microwave also have a heating element to it, but i have never figured out a recipe to use it for. Does anyone have one of these and if so do you ever use that feature?

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2020 8:30 AM

Sous-vide never took off. It was just boil in bag which was very popular before microwave and cost nothing but a pot of water.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2020 9:52 AM

I love her r23.

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2020 10:48 AM

Grossly overpriced

by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2020 11:51 AM

This thing better come with a reach-around.

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2020 12:11 PM

I was looking at the site.. could be good.. Woah! $1,000!

by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2020 12:48 PM

"Wi-Fi-connected countertop oven" = I'm looking for something that I can't cook with if the interest goes down

by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2020 12:52 PM

Is it bigger than a breadbox?

by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2020 12:53 PM

I'm using my Oster toaster oven as as I type to make some parched peanuts. $48 at Target.

by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2020 12:54 PM

[quote] Sous-vide never took off. It was just boil in bag which was very popular before microwave and cost nothing but a pot of water.

“Boil in a bag”??

Maybe read up on what sous vide actually is of before making yourself look stupid with your lame attempt at wit.

by Anonymousreply 37October 18, 2020 1:14 PM

We were doing sous-vide back when I was a kid. Only we didn’t have a fancy French name for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2020 2:33 PM

That’s not sous vide R38.

by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2020 2:57 PM

Not yet my 2 sugar daddies are gonna chip in and get me one! They always get me whatever I want. I wonder why that is?

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2020 3:05 PM

It requires a dedicated electrical outlet/breaker.

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2020 3:23 PM

[quote] My microwave also have a heating element to it,

It do?

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2020 3:33 PM

R23 Since when can you "roast" in a microwave?

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2020 4:06 PM

My microwave has a convection option, but I've never used it.

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2020 4:07 PM

R44 Would one back in 1976 have a convection option?

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2020 4:10 PM

Wired

IT'S HARD TO know, at first, what problem the Brava smart oven is supposed to solve. Its value proposition—to use the Silicon Valley parlance—is a bit diluted. Is it supposed to heat up more quickly than your current oven? Is it designed to distribute heat in an innovative way? Is it supposed to be more energy efficient? Is it compatible with an app—and does that make it better? Will it be smarter than your current oven?

The short answer, according to the entrepreneurs at Brava, is all of the above. You will want to spend $995 on Brava's Wi-Fi-connected countertop oven, the pitch goes, because it will make your insanely busy life

The long answer is more complex than that. Brava may indeed be a beautifully made oven packed with time-saving tech. But it's not just the oven you'll pay for; you'll need some accessories to get the most out of it. And, as part of Brava's launch this fall, the company plans to offer a food delivery service that drops ready-to-cook items onto your doorstep. Sure, you can buy your own groceries and make stuff with the Brava, but the company will try to convince you its produce options are superior. So while Brava is launching with a piece of hardware, the company is selling more than just an oven.

More at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2020 4:22 PM

Those consistently comparing this oven with a toaster oven are missing the point. This cooks with light and again, it reaches a temp of 500 degrees in ONE SECOND. You can place several things on the tray as diverse as meat, fresh vegetables, an egg, and whatever else might require vastly different cooking times and temperatures/methods. Now THAT'S some interesting technology - try in in your conventional oven! Let me know when the price drops to less than half or if some of them ever "fall off a truck."

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2020 4:38 PM

Keurigs and pods did the same thing to coffee and simple coffee makers. A!I they're doing is offering a different means to the same end, costing a great deal more. These unnecessary products are geared toward those with much disposable income.

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2020 7:22 PM

I clicked on this thinking that it was a stealth Another World thread.

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2020 7:27 PM

I like meat but hate cooking it and dealing with it. I don't cook at all and spend about $160/20 for fresh meals delivered. I have heard crock pots are also great. Basically when I get home from the gym at night, I don't want to spend more than 10 minutes getting my meal ready. I'm single and hate cooking. So far, the microwave is my ally in the kitchen. I love home cooked meals and I never get them. I would much prefer a home cooked meal to a restaurant as they are so rare for me. Maybe air fryer or crock pot. You still have to do all the prep work with a Brava that you'd have to do with a oven, it's just faster. An entry level Viking range is $6000 and the Brava is $1000? That's a lot.

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2020 7:37 PM

[quote]And, as part of Brava's launch this fall, the company plans to offer a food delivery service that drops ready-to-cook items onto your doorstep. Sure, you can buy your own groceries and make stuff with the Brava, but the company will try to convince you its produce options are superior. So while Brava is launching with a piece of hardware, the company is selling more than just an oven.

If that's their plan, then they need to sell the device at a much cheaper price. This is how printers and razors work -- sell the device cheaply, and charge an arm and a leg for the supplies.

by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2020 7:38 PM

Looks nice, but not $1100.00 nice.

by Anonymousreply 52October 18, 2020 7:40 PM

I want one!

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2020 7:43 PM

R49 hahahahahahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 54October 18, 2020 8:14 PM

Does it give good head?

by Anonymousreply 55October 18, 2020 8:28 PM

R48: A different and quicker, simpler means to the same end. No one uses a Keurig or similar coffeemaker because it makes better coffee than other methods. They use it because it's easy and fast, which are particularly useful qualities first thing in the morning. I wouldn't call that "unnecessary".

Also, Keurig units start at a little over $100. Imitations are available for $50 or so. That's a far cry from $1000, and not really "much" disposable income.

by Anonymousreply 56October 18, 2020 8:53 PM

It’s definitely much more capable than a toaster oven. From what I can tell it’s similar to a high speed oven that you’ll find in restaurants. If you’ve ever had a Starbucks breakfast sandwich, you’ve had a meal from one of those ovens. A price of $1,000 is a LOT less than what you’ll pay for a commercial device (whether it’s as good is another question).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 19, 2020 1:58 AM

Not sure how this is much faster than a conventional convection oven. This Brava recipe for bone-in chicken breasts suggests a total time of ~20-50 minutes, which is about the same as a conventional oven (less about 10 minutes to heat up, of course).

by Anonymousreply 58October 19, 2020 2:07 AM

Sorry forgot the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 19, 2020 2:07 AM

Can I fit a turkey in it?

by Anonymousreply 60October 19, 2020 3:11 AM

[quote] Can I fit a turkey in it?

That's what he said.

by Anonymousreply 61October 19, 2020 7:28 AM

Infrared ovens are old news, You can pick one up for way under 100.00. Google Nuwave. They are very efficient. I've had mine for over 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 62October 19, 2020 8:06 AM

Not only do you have to buy their pans to use in the oven, in order to use it you have to subscribe to a member plan that allows you access to the cloud that contains the recipes/instructions to the oven. When you buy the $1100 gadget, you get a two year membership included, but you presumably must pay after that, and I can't find anything on the site about how much that will cost you.

Also, they disabled comments on their YouTube video tutorial. Not a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 63October 19, 2020 11:37 AM

It's so tiny. It's adorable!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 19, 2020 3:32 PM

I have a weed vaporizer that used light for heat and could reach any temperature instantly and precisely, but the company went out of business so you can’t buy parts get new supplies, or have it repaired. I’d be concerned about how long Brava will be in business. I don’t find their business model compelling.

by Anonymousreply 65October 19, 2020 5:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!