Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I’m Starting To Feel Bad About Killing All These Bees

My kitchen is full of bees. It’s happened every fall since my dad died (in October 2016). I think there are nests in the frames of the kitchen windows. I had an exterminator out last year. So, somehow, they just seem to pour out of the frames and then the kitchen is full of bees and then I’m killing bees from mid-sept through November. And I just can’t stand all the killing anymore.

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2020 8:52 AM

Attention. Attention. A swarm of killer bees is headed this way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 10:31 PM

Murderess!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 10:32 PM

Bee Movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 10:34 PM

COME AT ME BRO!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 10:40 PM

Bumblebee

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 10:49 PM

Today has been the worst, yet. I just killed 11 of them.

Should I look into hiring an exorcist?

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2020 6:21 PM

Just become an apiarist and keep them as pet, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2020 6:26 PM

R7, half of them are yellow jackets and the other half are just regular bees. None of them are honey bees or even bumblebees. None of them have tried to sting me, either. I’m worried they’ll sting the cat, though.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2020 6:31 PM

Gurl, take off that bonnet!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2020 6:31 PM

Seriously, see if you can get in touch with some local beekeepers. Beekeepers will take wild hives and put them in their hive boxes out in the field, maybe something can be done to take the hives out of your window frames or walls, and give them a new home where they can flourish and make honey and polinate to their hearts' content.

Moving the bees would, of course, involve some carpentry and therefore some expense, and I have no idea if that'd cost more than exterminators, nor how much of a problem with wasps will be for the beekeepers. But it can't hurt to look for local beekeepers, and get their advice at the very least. And in the meantime, may I suggest duct-taping the shit out of every crack and seam in your kitchen walls and windows?

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2020 7:54 PM

Bees are being killed off due to climate change and we really need those bees to pollinate and preserve the ecosystem.

As above says, call some beekeepers and see what can be done about moving the nest.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2020 8:00 PM

I think bees are being killed off as much by agricultural pesticides as by climate change, butterfly and insect populations in general are plumeting due to overuse of pesticides.

Lots of people are now changing their gardens to include less grass and more polinator-friendly plants, in an effort to give the bees and other useful insects some good habitat. Hell, even one of the most conservative Trump supporters at work did that, it's catching on everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2020 8:13 PM

The hives are inside the window frames, somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2020 12:40 AM

Phyllis ... the bees are coming!

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2020 12:44 AM

R10 How do beekeepers lure and put wild bees into hives?

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2020 10:14 AM

Call a bee remover. You probably have a hive in your walls.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2020 10:45 AM

Honeybees are a European import. If they are dying, it could be because they don't belong here in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2020 10:50 AM

To bee, or not to bee.

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2020 11:39 AM

I left a voicemail for the Bee People.

There are 8 in the kitchen right now. I’m going to follow the advice above to tape up the window seams.

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2020 6:55 PM

[quote] How do beekeepers lure and put wild bees into hives

Very carefully.

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2020 7:56 PM

[quote] I left a voicemail for the Bee People.

There are Bee People? They understand hooman speech?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2020 8:14 PM

You need us, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2020 8:22 PM

The Bee People did not call me back. Maybe they were stung to death. Despite taping up all the window seams I could find, there were another dozen bees in my kitchen today. I am at my wit's end.

by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2020 6:54 AM

What state are you in? Here is an outfit that does work nationwide:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2020 7:12 AM

Nationwide listing:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2020 7:13 AM

R23 /OP I'm more the catch and release type, so I can understand your feeling bad about killing them. Wow, the shear number you're dealing with sounds overwhelming. I would continue to call bee people.

I don't know much about bees, or beekeepers, but believe if there is an alternate solution to extermination, it's worthwhile. Many of those insecticides are toxic for a very long time, and often they don't tell you what's exactly in their potions. If you leave the windows open, do they ever fly out?

by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2020 7:35 AM

Bee Best, OP.

Or they might take their revenge...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2020 7:36 AM

Sorry, I hate to be a... buzz-kill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2020 7:38 AM

They’d kill you...if they could...

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2020 7:55 AM

My sister had bees coming into the house. Her husband investigated outside and could hear a slight humming. They had a huge hive in the space between the inside wall and the siding of their home. BIL called a friend who keeps bees. He just pulled out two huge honeycombs, covered with bees, with a bare hand. The bees didn’t hurt him at all. The beekeeper set up hives. The bees are doing fine.

by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2020 8:05 AM

Are the bees in trouble?

by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2020 8:09 AM

Those bees are definitely inside the walls.

I could not live in that house. No way.

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2020 8:13 AM

OP:

Call us.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2020 8:18 AM

R26 "The shear number"

Oh, Dear

by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2020 8:34 AM

candyman

Candyman.

CANDYMAN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2020 8:47 AM

r26, no, they refuse to go outside. They won't even go near the open screen door.

Weirdly, not a single one has tried to sting me. And I think they're mostly a bit off from whatever remains of what the exterminator last year sprayed. Like they seem kind of slow and stupid.

But I'm going to have to find more bee people to call. I really hope they're just in the window frames and that we're not going to have to take the fucking wall apart.

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2020 8:48 AM

Best wishes OP, and do let us know what they discover.

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2020 8:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!