Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Agatha Raisin: books vs. TV series

I've read most of the books over the years, and am listening to them again as narrated by Penelope Keith. Never seen the TV program.

Interviewed for the difference between the two experiences, the author stated that the television character had the correct personality for Agatha, although she did not look anything like the originally intended Agatha. For one thing, in the books Agatha has a bit of a hang-up about the Battle to maintain a decent weight, as well as having brown hair not blond.

Actor playing Bill is (to borrow William F Buckley's description of Oprah Winfrey) "alternately fat and thin." Wilkes' race is never specified. Her cleaner has nothing to do with investigating, but looks after the cats while Aggie is away. The TV pics make Roy seem far better looking. Agatha tells the reader that she feels he's rather plain. James on TV seems less good looking than the implied dishy guy in the books.

Anyway, curious if folks here have read the books, watched the show, or if both your thoughts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2020 4:01 AM

Ashley Jensen is brilliant. Loved her ever since "Extras".

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 10:05 PM

I liked the first few episodes of the TV program, but then it got a bit too twee. Basically, I watch it for Jason Merrells.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 10:11 PM

I also love the actress from Extras. However, she seemed wrong for the character. Sorry, it was a long time ago that I saw it but all I can remember is that it was disappointing and I barely endured 2-3 episodes (not one after the other, no way!)

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 10:12 PM

It’s boring compared to Midsomer Murders or Miss Fisher.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 10:13 PM

Is it streaming anywhere? I've only read the first two books. I had no idea Ashley Jensen played Agatha; she does seem far too attractive for the role. I've been picturing Agatha as plain, stoutish, and oldish (she's in her mid-50s, I think). But I love her acting, so I'd like to see the show sometime.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 10:15 PM

R5 in the series she is super-mega fashionista and dresses like Róisín Murphy. She's also a bit of a horndog. Nice in theory but doesn't play well with the other aspects of the character/story

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 10:22 PM

I am addicted to Beaton's two series of mysteries, the Hamish Macbeth series was changed too much from the books for me and the same with the new Agatha series. In Death of a Scriptwriter the plot deals with a author who is outraged about a TV company that is revamping her books. I think she wrote that after her experience with the Hamish Macbeth shows.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 10:25 PM

In the books, Roy is kind of a frenemy to Agatha, though she's savvy enough not to always take him at face value. Penelope Keith gives him a very nelly voice, along the lines of John Inman or Paul Lynde.

She's obsessed with James, but has (regular) rebound sex with shallow Sir Charles.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2020 4:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!