Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dear Elder Gays, tell me about the tv show "Here come the Brides."

So much beauty just in the intro alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2020 3:24 AM

OMG - YOUNG David Soul - who became a big star in England and pop star and even settled here.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 8:46 PM

Hello?

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 8:48 PM

Joan Blondell was in it! Bobby Sherman was dreamy, never knew what happened to the first-billed other lead after the show. There was a pretty leading lady and a strange looking character woman who played an old maid librarian type. I think the show was something along the lines of "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" mixed with a comedy-western along the lines of "Maverick".

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 9:02 PM

Natives here much under the age of 40 I've mentioned the show to claim that they've never heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 9:04 PM

I'm in my 50s and I've never heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 9:08 PM

I loved it. I was always attracted to Daddy types even as a kid, so Robert Brown was the man. I think it was ahead of its time. It was sometimes smarmy but was really a decent comedy/drama, especially for the late 60's.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 9:21 PM

Bobby Sherman!

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 9:53 PM

I never saw it until I discovered it streaming on a now-defunct channel (it was before my time). I only saw four or five episodes before the channel disappeared, but I liked it. Spock's dad was the heavy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 10:04 PM

A wonderful show!

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 10:43 PM

I have no recollection of the show.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 11:07 PM

Out of the three brothers, David Soul as Joshua Bolt was my favorite. Bobby Sherman’s Jeremy Bolt drove me nuts with his stammer, but he was saved by his good looks. Jason Bolt was fine, but I didn’t like the actor’s legs.

Biddie was the librarian type and Candy was Jeremy’s girl. Then we had the salty drunk boat captain, the sweet barmaid, and the bad guy businessman trying to ruin the Bolt Brothers. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 11:20 PM

It was a good show on ABC, but only lasted two seasons. It was a fictional story about lonely loggers in Seattle in the 19th century convincing dozens of young women from Massachusetts to move across country to be their brides. It had a catchy theme song.

The main characters were three brothers.

The cute youngest brother, was played by Bobby Sherman, who became an immensely popular singing idol for teenagers. He and Sal Mineo were said to be lovers at one time. Sherman later married a woman, had kids, left show biz.

David Soul played the luscious blond middle brother. He once admitted he succumbed to the casting couch to break into show biz. He later became more famous in Starsky & Hutch.

Robert Brown played the oldest brother. After "Brides" was cancelled he was picked to play the lead in the original Hawaii 5-0 series and actually made the pilot in Hawaii. The producers didn't like what they saw and replaced him with Jack Lord.

The comic relief was provided by Susan Tolsky, who later appeared on the Wayland & Madame TV series. She is a great comedienne.

Oh yes, Joan Blondell was also in it. She mainly poured beer and laughed cheerfully with the loggers in her saloon, and got two Emmy nominations for a thankless role.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 11:36 PM

The show made the names Jeremy, Joshua and especially Jason suddenly popular again for boys. So all of you Gen X Jasons out there can thank them.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 11:43 PM

R12, you had nice little gay vignettes about the two younger bothers, but when it came to Robert Brown, nothing! Very disappointing since he was the hottest one of the three.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2020 12:09 AM

I remember exactly one line of dialogue: “I bite my nails”. (Two characters were comparing faults) It’s scary what sticks in your mind after all these years.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2020 12:13 AM

Perry Como had a hit record with the theme song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2020 2:09 AM

It was no "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2020 2:11 AM

[quote]Robert Brown played the oldest brother. After "Brides" was cancelled he was picked to play the lead in the original Hawaii 5-0 series and actually made the pilot in Hawaii. The producers didn't like what they saw and replaced him with Jack Lord.

I think you've got some details confused.

Hawaii 5-0 debuted in Sept 1968. Here Come the Brides also debuted in Sept. 1968.

The series which Robert Brown did after Brides was a syndicated series named Primus, which ran for one season 1971-1972. It was an undersea adventure that apparently filmed in Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2020 2:14 AM

I remember the show, but just barely. Right around the time it came out, Bobby Sherman "came out" too...with the outline of his huge dick pressing against the fabric of his tight pants while singing during one of the more popular family entertainment shows of the time. I couldn't help but excitedly shout out to my older brother "Look, his dink is showing in his pants!!" and that's about all I can say about that TV series.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2020 2:32 AM

The bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle!

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2020 2:38 AM

Was it on with Mod Squad and Mission Impossible or was it with Hee Haw and F Troop?

I’ve never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2020 3:09 AM

r18 You're right. Brown was cast In Brides after being fired from Hawaii 5-0.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2020 11:00 AM

I remember Robert Brown being mentioned in a memoir about the downtown New York art scene in the 1950’s. He was part of that avant-garde scene.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2020 12:29 AM

I loved that show. Mainly for Bobby Sherman's well packed crotch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2020 12:34 AM

Bobby Sherman was one of those guys who made an overbite very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2020 12:36 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2020 1:03 AM

Imagine if they ever teamed Bobby Sherman and Gene Tierney together!

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2020 1:11 AM

Bobby Sherman, pretty in pink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2020 1:16 AM

Bobby then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2020 1:17 AM

Bobby today. 77 years old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2020 1:17 AM

It was based on a real historical incident. When Seattle was first being settled after the Civil War, there were a dearth of marriageable women available. A local businessman, Asa Mercer went back East and recruited a bunch of young women in search of husbands to come to town . The 'Mercer Girls' went on to becoming founding members of many of the old Seattle families. The Bolt brothers are vaguely based on the Denny brothers and the evil sawmill over on Henry Yesler.

The TV series theme was just an instrumental, but someone put lyrics to it and it was a hit for Perry Como. As a kid in Seattle, we all had to learn it to sing for elementary school choir.

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2020 1:34 AM

A lot of parallels in the lives of younger "brothers" Jeremy and Joshua. Bobby Sherman and David Soul both were "discovered" by putting out on the casting couch, Sherman famously for Sal Mineo. Both were actors who had successful hit records (Julie Do Ya Love Me, Don't Give Up On Us). Both were married to the same woman at different times.

I remember my sister getting Tiger Beat magazine and Bobby was in every issue. He was huge from 1969 to 1971. The last time I saw him was at the very end of a "Frasier" episode, where Frasier repays a favor to Roz by bringing Bobby into the control room.

Robert Brown always seemed to be the bad guy/killer on a lot of Perry Mason episodes.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2020 2:05 AM

Omg r15, I swear, totally serious, me too!! How weird...

I loved the show. No idea why it only lasted two years.

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2020 12:09 PM

Bobby as "Adonis of the Month"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2020 12:48 PM

Parents back in the Tiger Beat et al days apparently had no idea what their innocent little daughters were doing with those magazines. They were in their bedrooms at night diddling themselves looking at all those sexy photos of the hot young male stars with their big bulges.

by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2020 2:56 PM

Bobby had very hairy legs, considering that he seemed pretty smooth otherwise.

Hell, this IS Datalounge, and I bet the Tiger Beat girls thought that same thing back in the day!!

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2020 12:57 AM

Didn't he hook up with Sal Mineo?

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2020 1:01 AM

A young Daniel J Travanti guest-starred on one episode. Did he hook up with Bobby?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2020 1:07 AM

Loved Bobby Sherman. He did good after leaving show business.

[quote]When Sherman guest-starred on an episode of the Jack Webb television series Emergency! ("Fools", season 3, episode 17, aired January 19, 1974), he found a new calling. Eventually, he left the public spotlight and became an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). He volunteered with the Los Angeles Police Department, working with paramedics and giving CPR and first aid classes. He officially became a technical Reserve Police Officer with the Los Angeles Police Department in the 1990s, a position he still held as of 2017. He was later promoted to Captain in the Los Angeles Police Department. For more than a decade he served as a medical training officer at the Los Angeles Police Academy, instructing thousands of police officers in first aid and CPR. He was named LAPD's Reserve Officer of the Year in 1999. Sherman also became a Reserve Deputy Sheriff in 1999 with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, continuing his CPR/emergency training of new deputy hires. Sherman retired from the Sheriff's Department in 2010.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2020 2:44 AM

"The bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle!"

LIES!

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2020 3:17 AM

The theme song sounded like "Blah, blah, blah - Seattle!"

We called it the Seattle show.

by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2020 3:22 AM

Should be rebooted and renamed "Here Come The Bridezillas".

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2020 3:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!