Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

King of the Hill is better than The Simpsons

I'm watching King of the HIll and I'm blown away by how much better it is than the Simpsons (in many ways). It's not as good as the very peak years of the Simpsons, but it also is not nearly as bad as any of the Simpsons episodes that came after the first 8 seasons. I am a first generation American (my parents are from South Asia) and I was watching the show in our living room when I noticed my dad was really distracted by the show while he was doing some paperwork. He loved the show and said that it has some of the most realistic characters he has ever seen. If it has never had the huge following of The Simpsons, it's because it is a very dry show. That is not something that appeals to kids and when I was younger, I thought it was really dumb. But as an adult, I really appreciate the humor. Dry humor is very hit or miss and it needs to be done with precision, otherwise, it can come off as condescending. King of The Hill never condescends to its audience the way, say, the Lady Gaga Simpsons episode does. And as an immigrant, I think it's really cool one of the main families on the show is a cuthroat Laotian family. In other shows, the creators would dumb the family down by insisting they are unflawed and "pure" just by virtue of being immigrants and foreigners. Mike Judge makes the family both an American success story and he shows them as being assholes too (except for the daughter who is cool). Any other fans here?

by Anonymousreply 159October 19, 2020 11:44 AM

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 6:56 PM

Thanks R1 :-)

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 6:57 PM

I am Laotian!

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 7:00 PM

[quote] I am Laotian!

Rednecks stare blankly...

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 7:03 PM

[quote] Rednecks stare blankly...

Are you Chinese or Japanese?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 7:06 PM

When I lived in Japan, I was surprised that King of the Hill was dubbed and shown on tv regularly. The characters ring true to me as a Texan-- especially the mother.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 7:09 PM

"Japanese guys usually have suit and a tie and stuff like that...."

"Dem Chinese u can't understand a word dey say man, dnang ananng and and"

"that's pronounced....Khan right?".

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 7:10 PM

Yuuup.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 7:10 PM

Oftentimes, King of the Kill was too morose and too somber for its own good. And the fat kid was really annoying!!!

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 7:10 PM

I am actually in the midst of rewatching the show on Hulu. I’ve been a fan for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 7:12 PM

R10, same! I'm on season 4. Such a great show. I don't find it morose/somber at all.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 7:14 PM

I think the Bill character can be a bummer and Bill focused episodes tend to bore me, but he still has a lot of realism to him too.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 7:20 PM

I loved this show. I love everything Mike Judge does. I am also slightly in lust with Mike Judge.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 7:23 PM

Mike Judge who created King of the Hill actually had another cartoon which was even more hilarious and edgy: Beavis and Butthead. Too bad I've never seen it re-released anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2020 7:23 PM

I love them both. They have two totally different sensibilities.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2020 7:28 PM

Proud ignorant woman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2020 7:31 PM

My family is from Oklahoma and Texas and this show really nails the people.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 7:32 PM

R16, LMFAO. That is such a great quote! I had no idea Brittany Murphy voiced her until a few years ago. She did an amazing job. Luanne might be my favorite character next to Peggy.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2020 7:34 PM

OP, the Hills don’t have a daughter. LuAnn Platter is Peggy Hill’s niece. Peggy Hill’s maiden name is Peggy Platter.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2020 7:35 PM

R19 I believe he was referring to the Khans' daughter, not Luanne.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2020 7:37 PM

[quote] I think the Bill character can be a bummer and Bill focused episodes tend to bore me, but he still has a lot of realism to him too.

I can see why ppl might find Bill depressing. Bill went into some bad depressions, like when he began wearing his exwife’s clothes. I found the Bill character hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2020 7:38 PM

I always found the opening credits ineffably moving, and I'm not even Texan.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2020 7:39 PM

R21, remember when he wore his ex's clothes at that party at Hank's place?

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2020 7:39 PM

So Bill's a transgender individual? I feel better watching it now.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2020 7:40 PM

I always liked it when Bill got the girl. He could never keep her, but I always felt like he deserved a few more wins. He should have stayed with Anne Richardson.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2020 7:40 PM

The connie or Khan Junior character was very boring, like lisa simpson.

Bobby was gay and probably was more interested in Joseph than Connie.

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2020 7:40 PM

They were both genius (of course, I'm only talking about the "Golden Era" Simpsons, not the past decade+). King of the Hill was much more of a character study, while the Simpsons was zanier and never got that deep. I agree with the poster who couldn't stand Bobby. Though to be fair, Lisa could be an annoying little SJW too.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2020 7:40 PM

R22, it's perfectly captures lower-middle class Texan life in that minute or so.

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2020 7:41 PM

R27, Lisa grew more and more insufferable as the years went by. Originally, she was the voice of reason. Now, she's just a shrill know-it-all. Watch that Lady Gaga episode where all Lisa does is cry and cry and cry about how sad and unnapreciated she is. That episode was like 20 years after the show debuted. It's not cute anymore. The Simpsons is just a cash cow now with no meaning or significance anymore. By the late 90s it was trying to compete (in a less R-rated way) with shows like Family Guy and South Park because those shows were getting more attention. It's been all downhill since then.

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2020 7:44 PM

Dale and Nancy Gribble were not a realistic couple. Nancy would have been out of Dale's league, even if Dale let her have John Redcorn on a regular basis, right before Dale's eyes.

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2020 7:49 PM

I sometimes feel bad for Peggy regarding her lack of a real teaching career. Both she and Hank are such underachievers even though they are both more than capable.

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2020 7:53 PM

Peggy not working full time shows that Hank is a pretty good provider. I'd like it if I only had to work a day or two, every so often.

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2020 7:55 PM

I knew a couple like them irl, r30.

Pots and lids.

And Nancy is quintessential Texas white trash to me

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2020 7:59 PM

I live Boomhauer. Another true-to-life Texas stereotype

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2020 8:01 PM

I think it's way more common in real life for a hot, successful woman to end up with a loser than the other way around. Just my experience.

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2020 8:01 PM

Which character was the conspiracy theorist?

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2020 8:04 PM

Dale

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2020 8:05 PM

Thanks, R37.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2020 8:06 PM

[quote] I think it's way more common in real life for a hot, successful woman to end up with a loser than the other way around. Just my experience.

Agree, R35, but the Gribbles were too extreme. Nancy was on TV, doing the weather or something. Dale was unattractive, period point blank. He had that irritating voice, chain smoked, hung out in the basement. They showed Dale a couple of times without the hat and without a shirt. Not sexy!

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2020 8:07 PM

Would Dale be into QAnon now? Would Peggy and Bobby be going crazy from online classes due to Covid-19? I usually don't like reboots, but I think it would be great to see an updated version of KOTH.

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2020 8:08 PM

We learned in beauty school that people are not white...or black...or red...or yellow. But, that their hair *can* be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2020 8:13 PM

OP my brother loved it and he had a crush on Peggy! 😳

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2020 8:15 PM

I fucking loooooove king of the hill. It had the best guest voices too. Aniston, Pitt, Depp. They are supposed to do a reboot where they have all aged in real time. So Bobby will be 30 something. Propably gay. Luan would be dead (rip Brittany Murphy) Hank lropably a trumper. Mike judge is a social commentary genius. He needs to reboot it. Fun fact- it was also Billy Bob Thorton and Angelina Jolie’s favorite show. They propably did heroin with vials of each other while watching king of the hill dvds- Rolling Stone magazine article.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2020 8:18 PM

The word is not "ain't", Cissy Cobb, the word is "acquaintance"...as in I'm not pleased to have met yours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2020 8:19 PM

R44, holy shit, that is some "shade" right there. Peggy was always more of a badass than Marge Simpson.

by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2020 9:13 PM

[quote] Would Dale be into QAnon now? Would Peggy and Bobby be going crazy from online classes due to Covid-19? I usually don't like reboots, but I think it would be great to see an updated version of KOTH.

100% about Dale--no doubt. Peggy would be more liberal I think. Not sure about Hank--he would support him in 2016 but not in 2020. Hank always had decency which is not something most of these Trump fanatics have.

by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2020 9:15 PM

[quote] I fucking loooooove king of the hill. It had the best guest voices too. Aniston, Pitt, Depp.

I saw the episode with Reese yesterday--she voiced that chick perfectly. A trashy blonde sociopath who was the boss's side piece. The fact she kills herself by stepping on a gun in a dumpster while trying to "manage" her fast food is almost too perfect.

by Anonymousreply 47October 17, 2020 9:16 PM

You don't mess with Peggy when it comes to Boggle, r45.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 17, 2020 9:30 PM

R48, sometimes I forget that Boggle was huge back in the 90s. Wonder why it fell out of favor.

by Anonymousreply 49October 17, 2020 9:31 PM

Brad Pitt played Patch Boomhauer on a very good episode of KOTH.

Brad Pitt's "Patch" reminded me a lot of the character Pitt played in "Snatch" (same kind of semi-unintelligible voice).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 17, 2020 9:34 PM

The killer lutefisk...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 17, 2020 9:41 PM

[quote] I saw the episode with Reese yesterday--she voiced that chick perfectly. A trashy blonde sociopath who was the boss's side piece. The fact she kills herself by stepping on a gun in a dumpster while trying to "manage" her fast food is almost too perfect.

"Nobody turns down Debbie Grunge!"

by Anonymousreply 52October 17, 2020 9:48 PM

The episode where they were smoking is still one of the funniest things ever. "9 months in your stomach,those were good times too" !

by Anonymousreply 53October 17, 2020 9:49 PM

Peggy would have happily voted for Hillary and votes for Biden only because of Harris. Hank votes for Trump in 2016 and agonized over his vote until the moment when we're shown his voted for Biden.

Bobby is a gay Libertarian.

by Anonymousreply 54October 17, 2020 9:50 PM

Bobby Hill modeling plus sized boys clothes and Hank makes him leave before his time on the runway. A massive doughnut fight is shown in slow motion with people laying all over floor. One of the funniest episodes. It might have been the first season.

by Anonymousreply 55October 17, 2020 9:54 PM

Ming and Khan come over and Ming puts on Peggy's shoes and starts shuffling around mocking Peggy. "Look at me, Peggy Hill, such big feet."

by Anonymousreply 56October 17, 2020 9:57 PM

Peggy had magic sex feet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 17, 2020 9:59 PM

One of my Peggy favorites:

"If they had a sponge that cleaned up broken dreams, Woolworth's would still be in business."

by Anonymousreply 58October 17, 2020 10:02 PM

It was ok in the early seasons but then it got really right wing and preachy during the last couple of seasons.

by Anonymousreply 59October 17, 2020 10:03 PM

Luanne (surveying the damage post tornado): So many bad memories. There's the fork Mama stabbed Daddy with...oh, and the empty bottles from that awful night, and...oh, no! Those mango-colored palazzo pants that made my butt look big!

by Anonymousreply 60October 17, 2020 10:07 PM

LUANNE: You know what I'll never forget, was when Uncle Hank was naked --

PEGGY: That never happened.

LUANNE: But the wind blew all his clothes off.

HANK: Not my underwear.

LUANNE: Yes, it did!

HANK: Not my underwear.

PEGGY: NOT his underwear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 17, 2020 10:09 PM

I love the New Orleans episode

[quote]Robert, this is velvet, not velveteen. A real man must understand the difference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 17, 2020 10:10 PM

[quote]This muggy November weather gives me the horribles

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 17, 2020 10:11 PM

I always liked that show, but would go through certain periods where I would absolutely despise certain characters, like Dale or Peggy. Even though I was pretty young when the show started airing, I was always confused about why the Hills were Republican. They were both pretty liberal in their beliefs about things like gays, women, and various other peoples' rights.

by Anonymousreply 64October 17, 2020 10:12 PM

R61, that's a great scene where Hank and Peggy act like LuAnne never saw Hank naked in that tornado. I lived in a small town for a long time. Small-town people really do pretend like certain things never happened. E.g., the "other man" being the bio father of a child of an "intact," happy family.

by Anonymousreply 65October 17, 2020 10:14 PM

R63 I couldn't get that pic to post!. That episode had guest voices Meryl Streep and Dixie Chicks.

by Anonymousreply 66October 17, 2020 10:16 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 17, 2020 10:19 PM

I agree. Mike Judge is actually quite brilliant. The show I have grown to dislike is Family Guy. It’s the same crap over and over again. Seth MacFarlane is an obvious head case. His hatred for middle aged women and women whom he seems unattractive is worse than Datalounge. He thinks if he pumps his face with enough Botox, colours his hair with black dye and pays enough young women to date him that we will all see him as youthful and virile. That bitch is afraid of aging and it’s painfully obvious.

by Anonymousreply 68October 17, 2020 10:23 PM

[quote]Even though I was pretty young when the show started airing, I was always confused about why the Hills were Republican.

They lived in a small town in Texas. Goes with the territory.

by Anonymousreply 69October 17, 2020 10:24 PM

Peggy Hill's bad Spanish

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 17, 2020 10:28 PM

R69, was it a small town or part of suburban Dallas? I always thought Arlen was based off of suburban Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 71October 17, 2020 10:29 PM

If they voted you know they would all be Trumpeters.

by Anonymousreply 72October 17, 2020 10:29 PM

The Escape from Party Island episode had some poignancy with Hank's mother's obsession with miniatures. And Tilliy's friends were voiced by Betty White, Uta Hagen, Phyllis Diller and Mother Nature.

by Anonymousreply 73October 17, 2020 10:34 PM

R68 = Seth Macfarlane's stalker.

by Anonymousreply 74October 17, 2020 10:34 PM

Vaya Con Dios

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 17, 2020 10:34 PM

Texas has not voted for a Dem POTUS since Jimmy Carter. Ann Richards, a woman and a Democrat, was governor of Texas from '91 to '95. She starred in KOTH as a brief, Bill Dauterive love interest. Not very believable that Ann would date Bill, but hey.

by Anonymousreply 76October 17, 2020 10:35 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 17, 2020 10:35 PM

Many Californians have moved to Texas in recent years so I wouldn't be surprised if it's turning purple, like Arizona.

by Anonymousreply 78October 17, 2020 10:37 PM

Leanne Platter should have been a regular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 17, 2020 10:39 PM

R74 = Seth MacFarlane.

by Anonymousreply 80October 17, 2020 10:44 PM

[quote] it got really right wing and preachy during the last couple of seasons.

I noticed that too. The show seems angrier too the last couple of seasons.

by Anonymousreply 81October 17, 2020 10:56 PM

[quote]Oh honey, Denial ain't just a club outside of McMaynerberry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 17, 2020 10:59 PM

He's fine R80. Jealously gets you nowhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 17, 2020 11:05 PM

[quote]Many Californians have moved to Texas in recent years so I wouldn't be surprised if it's turning purple, like Arizona.

Except that most of those are angry Repugs who are bitter that California is a mostly Democratic state. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 84October 17, 2020 11:07 PM

R69 I live in an almost nonexistent town in rural Texas. The Hills were in the suburbs and their shown beliefs didn't line up with any Republicans I knew. That's where the confusion came from.

by Anonymousreply 85October 17, 2020 11:14 PM

[quote]Peggy Hill's bad Spanish

That's one of my favorite episodes. Any episode where Peggy is shown to be the fool she is versus the genius she thinks she is was a good one. Like the time she thought a man was interested in her feet because he found them beautiful, but the reality is that he ran a fetish mag.

by Anonymousreply 86October 17, 2020 11:18 PM

R86, or when she innatentively helped a convict smuggle in cocaine into a prison.

by Anonymousreply 87October 17, 2020 11:34 PM

My favorite was Kahn going full redneck. It was such a great show. The other thing I loved was how John Redcorn was invited to all their gatherings and events. Every party or bbq, there he was.

All the families would be trumpeters w the exception of John Redcorn.

I also felt like Boomhauer could have been gay and overcompensating.

by Anonymousreply 88October 17, 2020 11:59 PM

What were redcorn’s politics, R88? yes, boomhauer should have been married to a woman at some point, yet he was single wearing speedos.

by Anonymousreply 89October 18, 2020 12:01 AM

Love this show. Not sure I would call it better than The Simpsons. The Simpsons definitely had more mass appeal, and satirized a greater number of topics, but King of the Hill did an exceptional job satirizing a narrow range of topics. I love them both.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 18, 2020 12:05 AM

[quote]Many Californians have moved to Texas in recent years so I wouldn't be surprised if it's turning purple, like Arizona.

We've been hearing that for the last 20 years. Georgia, too. Never gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 91October 18, 2020 12:06 AM

I didn’t know this but Stephen Root who voices Bill is actually a really great actor. He’s amazing on the HBO show Barry and was nominated for an Emmy.

Brad and Jennifer were big South Park fans too, and Jennifer voiced a character in one episode.

by Anonymousreply 92October 18, 2020 12:06 AM

Yes, he was Milton in Office Space and Mr. James in NewsRadio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 18, 2020 12:09 AM

The Simpsons had more mass appeal because the humor appealed equally to kids, it came before those other adult cartoons (and was a cultural phenomenon because of that) and because it was more willing to dumb itself down to compete with those other shows. King of the Hill is just a much more honest and realistic show in its depiction of lower middle class family life than The Simpsons is. After the first 8 years or so of the show, we are supposed to like Homer and the rest of the characters "just because". It's like the creators stopped bothering to even make the characters likeable or endearing in any way.

by Anonymousreply 94October 18, 2020 12:21 AM

Dale woud be voting for Gary Johnson in 2016 and in 2020 for Jo Jorgensen. I wouldn't expect any better.

by Anonymousreply 95October 18, 2020 12:22 AM

R95 Dale is not registered to vote, but Rusty Shackelford is.

by Anonymousreply 96October 18, 2020 12:24 AM

Peggy dancing with a drag queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97October 18, 2020 12:31 AM

Khan would be the biggest Trumper on the block, in a way that really would bother Hank who would believe this things should be kept private. An episode (or voting special) would have Hank not sure who to vote for as he is so turned off by that “Jack Ass” Trump (who reminds him of Cotton) but the final scene would have him in the voting both but not show the voter who he voted for.

by Anonymousreply 98October 18, 2020 12:42 AM

I noticed a lot of straight man hate Peggy, but gay men love her. She is the only TV animated mom who is her own, well developed character. And the only one with a husband in her league as opposed to extremly below it.

by Anonymousreply 99October 18, 2020 12:44 AM

[quote]I also felt like Boomhauer could have been gay and overcompensating.

I always got the impression that he was massively hung.

by Anonymousreply 100October 18, 2020 12:57 AM

He wore a Speedo, we would’ve known.

Don’t think we weren’t looking!

by Anonymousreply 101October 18, 2020 1:00 AM

[quote]I noticed a lot of straight man hate Peggy,

Just the one, dear?

by Anonymousreply 102October 18, 2020 1:01 AM

Propane is the future, Bobby

by Anonymousreply 103October 18, 2020 1:03 AM

What was the name of the porcelain garden gnome Peggy bought and put in the front yard? I like the woman who walkes by and told Peggy he should be facing in a certain direction so he could drink the dew off tree moss (or some similar scenario).

by Anonymousreply 104October 18, 2020 1:10 AM

[quote] I noticed a lot of straight man hate Peggy, but gay men love her.

It's the same thing with Marge and Louis.

[quote] She is the only TV animated mom who is her own, well developed character.

100%

by Anonymousreply 105October 18, 2020 1:11 AM

[quote] The next person to jog by immediately notices Winklebottom, she is inferred to be a middle-aged spinster/geek. She coos over the gnome and begins to inform Peggy on "garden gnome lore", which Peggy seems to find charming, while Hank reacts in his usual manner to what he feels is such an asinine hobby. The jogger also assesses Winklebottom to be a rare hand-crafted 1930's original from Germany, which further impresses Peggy on her own taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106October 18, 2020 1:17 AM

That’s fucking hilarious, r106!

by Anonymousreply 107October 18, 2020 1:22 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108October 18, 2020 1:23 AM

Better version of r108

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109October 18, 2020 1:24 AM

Stephen Root plays the DA on the new HBO version of "Perry Mason."

by Anonymousreply 110October 18, 2020 1:29 AM

My best friend has made it his life's work to seek out and patronize gay strip clubs all over the US, and the world for that matter. Except he always refers to them as 'nudie bars' in a nod to Hank Hill and KOTH.

by Anonymousreply 111October 18, 2020 1:31 AM

They were referred to as nudie bars in “Married...With Children” in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 112October 18, 2020 1:33 AM

Propane, r103, *and* propane accessories.

by Anonymousreply 113October 18, 2020 1:53 AM

Peggy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114October 18, 2020 2:07 AM

Oh man, despite never having been to Texas and don't live anywhere near there, I've loved this show since the early 2000s. I don't know how anyone can hate on it.

So many excellent episodes, some already mentioned here, some not. My favorites included the Mexico episode (if only Peggy had known what 'mitad' meant in English), the Japan two-parter, Port Aransas with his mom and her old lady friends (with Bill aggressively hitting on Peggy in Hank's absence), the mini-saga of Hank's coworker Debbie and her death, Connie/Khan Jr getting her first period while staying with the Hills, Peggy making friends with a woman who (unbeknownst to her) is a prostitute running away from her pimp (voiced by Snoop Dogg)*, Hank hiring a drug addict instead of a woman who he was attracted to, Peggy pretending to be a nun just so she could teach full-time, Hank using crack for bait, Bobby Goes Nuts, all the Hills can't stop smoking ("close the damn door, can't you see that I am knitting?").

Dale would absolutely be a QAnon loon today, and the only way he'd have been registered to vote would be under Rusty Shackelford - R96 is correct.

The show was prophetic at times: Mega Lo Mart and its effect on small business in Arlen (A, social media - in one of their final seasons they had an episode about MySpace (!) and one of Hank's coworkers was obsessed with it, even Hank's hesitation to vote for Bush Jr in 2000 (because of his 'limp handshake'). Peggy really did look like Sarah Palin, ten years before we all knew who she was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115October 18, 2020 2:10 AM

One of the things I liked about King of the Hill is that it tried to add some realism to the stories like when Peggy had the skydiving accident and for several episodes she was in a wheelchair and had to do physical therapy with Cotton or Joseph with this struggle mustache and voice dropping.

by Anonymousreply 116October 18, 2020 2:12 AM

Randy Travis steals her song she mailed to him. She hears him sing it at Fanfare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 18, 2020 2:15 AM

Since it is October and this was from a Halloween-themed episode:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 18, 2020 2:19 AM

Bobby thinks has to marry Luanne because he switched out her birth control pills for filed down Sweet Tarts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119October 18, 2020 2:20 AM

R118 = 🤣🤣🤣

Sally Field as the Bible thumper.

by Anonymousreply 120October 18, 2020 2:23 AM

Sally Field voiced Junie Harper. Her display was "sex kills."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121October 18, 2020 2:29 AM

120 posts and NO ONE has mentioned me? I was in over 150 episodes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122October 18, 2020 2:30 AM

I forgot how this song relates to Buckley, but it does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123October 18, 2020 2:39 AM

I have no idea why but for the longest time, I thought Luanne was voiced by Renee zellweger

by Anonymousreply 124October 18, 2020 2:48 AM

In addition to Bill, Stephen Root also voices Buck Strickland.

[quote] Bill focused episodes tend to bore me,

Bill joint the Harmonaholics is one of my favorite eps.

by Anonymousreply 125October 18, 2020 3:27 AM

No Manger Babies?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 18, 2020 3:38 AM

I love how the show made a thing out of that Chuck Mangione song that used to always be on the intercom at the grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 127October 18, 2020 3:51 AM

How could we forget Leanne Platter vs Peggy Hill. Leanne sounds like one of the I'm ____ but look___ and she'd probably be a DLer too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 18, 2020 3:57 AM

Dale's dad and Bill's cousin would absolutely be Dataloungers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 18, 2020 4:16 AM

No spoilers, but of their most poignant episodes, the standout is the one where Buddhist monks come to test Bobby to see if he’s a reincarnated Lama. Gets me every time.

by Anonymousreply 130October 18, 2020 4:51 AM

Location of Arlen: near Waco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 18, 2020 5:20 AM

There are so many quotes that my husband and I say to each other all the time:

"I say good day, Sheriff!"

"I'm drivin' the hell out of this truck!"

"I think I'll give room service a jangle and have them send up some étouffée."

"Get ready for razzle dazzle!"

"Are you Chinese or Japanese? We Laotian."

"You're not making Christianity better. You're just making rock and roll worse."

"What works for me, see, is the cocoa."

And sometimes when I have to put my name on a waitlist at a restaurant, I'll tell them it's "Rusty".

by Anonymousreply 132October 18, 2020 5:36 AM

My favourite episodes are the one where Hank is sexually molested by a dolphin and the once where Peggy accidentally kidnaps a Mexican kid on her school trip and the lawyer gets her off by forcing her to attempt to speak Spanish in court.

by Anonymousreply 133October 18, 2020 6:11 AM

I DON’T KNOW YOU, THAT’S MY PURSE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 18, 2020 7:01 AM

The one where Peggy is duped by a scammer from 'The Intelligence Society' is pretty awesome

by Anonymousreply 135October 18, 2020 8:19 AM

Johhhhn Redcorn, Paheggy Hill

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 18, 2020 2:19 PM

"That's right, they're breasts. Big deal!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137October 18, 2020 2:21 PM

Hank in the breakroom at Mega Lo Mart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 18, 2020 2:25 PM

I picture every other DLer like Bill's dandy cousin.

Mike Judge is so hot he makes me weak-kneed. I am a huge fan of his work except for Extract. They're rebooting Beavis and Butthead, and it would be great to see a King of the Hill extended universe thing. Bless the Harts is sort of in the same realm but doesn't nail the humor and dryness in the mundane like King of the Hill.

The biggest dipshit I've ever met in my life hated King of the Hill.

by Anonymousreply 139October 18, 2020 2:55 PM

I can not get into Bless the Harts...

by Anonymousreply 140October 18, 2020 3:09 PM

Other favorite quotes my husband and I say to each other:

"That's it! I'm going fishing!"

(In Dale's menacing voice) "I know where you live."

"Awww, Chuck."

(In Boomhauer's coherent voice) "In a world where love is against the law."

"This is velvet, not velveteen. A gentleman must know the difference," followed with "Myyy laawd."

"That dang o' internet www dot click click click."

"HO YEAH!"

by Anonymousreply 141October 18, 2020 4:58 PM

Texas here and I can attest that I've met all these characters in real life. I had a neighbor who talked and looked just like Dale and another one like Boomhauer and, yes, they all sat around in the evening drinking beer and waxing redneck philosophical.

by Anonymousreply 142October 18, 2020 5:15 PM

and my Dale look/sound alike neighbor was absolutely Qanon before they were around.

by Anonymousreply 143October 18, 2020 5:22 PM

R119 - that was a good one for sure.

Kahn sees the wedding over the fence and shouts to Minh: "It's finally happening! Bobby Hillbilly is marrying hillbilly cousin! Ha ha! You owe me $5!!!"

by Anonymousreply 144October 18, 2020 6:55 PM

I have a narrow urethra!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145October 18, 2020 7:17 PM

I ain't got a narrow ureety. He gets that from his mother. Mine's so damn wide, I could pass the child myself if I had to!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146October 18, 2020 7:54 PM

I watched the episode where Hank meets his Japanese half brother last night. I loved how passive aggressive his mother was.

by Anonymousreply 147October 18, 2020 8:11 PM

R132/r141 I like you and your husband. You guys sound fun.

I almost wet myself envisioning you guys finding moments for those quotes.

And I’m still laughing.

by Anonymousreply 148October 18, 2020 8:43 PM

Is this on streaming somewhere now?

by Anonymousreply 149October 18, 2020 8:43 PM

R148, sometimes we don't even need a reason.

by Anonymousreply 150October 18, 2020 8:46 PM

I'm more of a Sopranos quoter.

by Anonymousreply 151October 18, 2020 9:03 PM

Goodfellas for me, but I don’t want to derail the thread.

by Anonymousreply 152October 18, 2020 9:13 PM

Back on topic, I wish we saw more of Bug Gribble and Juan Pedro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 18, 2020 9:31 PM

[quote] Is this on streaming somewhere now?

Hulu.

by Anonymousreply 154October 18, 2020 9:31 PM

Joe Jack always said "oh, honey."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155October 18, 2020 9:44 PM

Thank you, r154!!

by Anonymousreply 156October 18, 2020 10:06 PM

Dale goes to work at Stick Tech. I didn't realize Amy was voiced by Lisa Kudrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157October 18, 2020 10:10 PM

[quote]I didn't realize Amy was voiced by Lisa Kudrow.

I love that about this show.

Sometimes you say “damn that voice sounds familiar but I can't place it,” other times you say “get out of here! That was so-and-so?!”

by Anonymousreply 158October 18, 2020 10:20 PM

Love the times Hank thinks Bobby is gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159October 19, 2020 11:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!