Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

General Recipe Sharing and Discussion Thread

I know that a lot of my fellow Dataloungers are doing more cooking and baking these days, so let's share some of our successes and failures.

Some things I've made lately: Cook's Country's Slow Cooker Sausage Ragu (delicious and easy.)

Pioneer Woman's Brown Butter Crispies (OK, but kind of dry.)

Chocolate Malt Ice Cream with Malt Ball Crunch (VERY good.)

I'm making Emeril's Chicken Gumbo this weekend. I just finished the "Rich Chicken Broth"; will make the gumbo tomorrow.

Things I'm considering making in the future:

Lahm Bi Ajeen (from the current issue of Food Network magazine)

Swiss Steak

Alfajores (Argentine sandwich cookies)

Spaghetti w/Pancetta & Ricotta

Sourdough Bread

Challah

Deep-Fried Turkey

Please share your experiences!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185October 21, 2021 10:43 PM

Do we eat these German desserts while we discuss standing or sitting while peeing? Talk about shit on a shelf fixtures in the toilet bowl?

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 6:38 PM

I'm contemplating making this Dutch Apple Pie. There is melted vanilla ice cream in the filling which has piqued my curiosity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 6:48 PM

[quote]General Recipe Sharing and Discussion Thread

With or without his privates?

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 6:50 PM

OP, How FAT are you?

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 6:52 PM

I made a delicious date and walnut loaf off the King Arthur website a few days ago. This weekend I will attempt to make scones and lemon curd.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 6:53 PM

I’m making a big pot of beef vegetable-barley soup for lunches this week and cottage pie for dinner tonight.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 6:54 PM

As someone who grew up in the heart of PA Dutch country, we'd never put melted ice cream in pie filling. We'd TELL the tourists from NY or NJ that we did just to get them to buy the pie, all the while laughing behind their backs.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 7:07 PM

I made a cheesecake once that had melted strawberry ice cream as one of its ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 7:24 PM

r5 Is this the date-walnut bread recipe? It looks good. I'm gonna try it. Nothing better than a slice of date-nut bread with some cream cheese on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 7:25 PM

Can you share the recipes (or at least point us in the right direction for Googling)? Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 7:29 PM

Yes, that's the one, R9. I added a bit of orange extract since I didn't have any liquor, and it was superb. You won't be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 7:42 PM

ALL Posters – How FAT are you???

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 9:21 PM

R5 (and others), I have made several of the recipes on the King Arthur Flour website and they have all been excellent. Likewise those found on the website for Odense almond paste. I wouldn't recommend corporate website recipes in general, but those two are quite good.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 10:07 PM

R13, R5, OP, (and others), HOW. FAT. ARE. YOU?????

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2020 11:31 PM

Well, I thought this tread would get more action, but I guess there aren't that many cooks on here. Here's an update from me (OP). I made the King Arthur Flour Date-Nut Bread today (as mentioned in r5.) It came out pretty good. I think I underbaked it a bit, and I think the recipe has too many walnuts, but otherwise it's a nice loaf.

I made the Emeril Chicken Gumbo and while it was quite tasty, it's VERY oily. I guess if you use a full cup of oil to make the roux it's unavoidable.

It's finally gotten cooler here (SoCal) so I'm up for some more baking. Not sure what's next. I saw a good pecan pie recipe in this month's AllRecipes magazine--no corn syrup, just maple syrup. That issue also has a Colorado green chili recipe for the Instant Pot.

I might try a bread this weekend. And once the date-nut bread is done, I like the looks of Molly Yeh's pumpkin cranberry loaf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2020 4:15 AM

Made a huge pot of this over the weekend. It’s a lot chopping but so so worth it. It was absolutely delicious, with lots of leftovers.

Going up to Provincetown next week and I’m making it again to take up with us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2020 4:33 AM

r16 Looks delicious. But it also looks like it's one of those recipes where it's hard to track down all of the ingredients. Did you use a lot of different kinds of mushrooms? Isn't it sometimes a challenge to find leeks? I hope you used frozen pearl onions ... I can't imagine peeling the fresh ones.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2020 4:38 AM

I LOVE to cook and have been loving preparing new dishes lately.. The shallots with chicken from NYT cooking is one of the best things that I have made in my life. Their Korean fire chicken recipe is also delicious. I make the Baja fish tacos from epicurious once a week. I found the recipe for Nobu’s black cod with miso online, and have made it twice. I used the marinade on Japanese eggplant as well. Divine! As long as we are all getting fat and old anyway, Chrissy Teigan’s lemony arugula with spaghetti is to die for.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2020 4:50 AM

For dessert, Ina’s applesauce cake with bourbon raisins.

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2020 4:51 AM

I just looked up that cake recipe, R19 and I'm definitely gonna try it. I love recipes where I already have almost all of the ingredients on hand. (I just need to buy applesauce.)

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2020 5:19 AM

OP, when you make the sourdough please share the recipe and how it turns out. Have you dona your starter yet? Will you bake any special way?

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2020 5:36 AM

Some of the best recipe discoveries of the past few years for me: (you gotta make the maple butter with this one, I also put more maple syrup in than is called for)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2020 6:09 AM

Mapo tofu. This recipe specifically. Get the specific ingredients it calls for (widely available at Asian markets or on Amazon). This dish blew my fucking mind, insanely delicious and so difficult to fuck up I literally never have despite having no familiarity with Chinese cuisine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2020 6:11 AM

This radicchio and blue cheese salad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2020 6:17 AM

This saltine-cracker-crust pie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2020 6:18 AM

I recently found this Italian lady's Youtube channel, the recipes are short and simple, mostly without music or voiceover. Don't be deceived by the perfectly awful fraufoto, you don't see her usually in the videos, just her hands and no voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2020 6:18 AM

I'm thinking of trying this tray bake recipe for "Berbere-spiced Chicken, Carrots and Chickpeas" I saw a couple weeks ago in The Guardian. (It's the third one down, and not the one seen in the photo link.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2020 7:49 AM

OP, again, determined to keep this thread going!

I made Alton Brown's Swiss Steak recipe today, and also made my sourdough starter (never tried it before but always wanted to.) This week I'll probably try another bread (rye? challah?) since the starter won't be ready. And maybe spaghetti with pancetta and ricotta or beef stroganoff.

by Anonymousreply 28October 26, 2020 1:44 AM

As an experienced baker, I'm embarrassed to admit I still occasionally forget to convert temperatures between conventional to convection. You could spend 3-plus hours preparing a pie and *poof* gone because you forgot to convert.

by Anonymousreply 29October 26, 2020 1:51 AM

Instant Pot, OP. It's all about the IP.

by Anonymousreply 30October 26, 2020 1:52 AM

I find it fascinating that they use convection (or as they call it, "fan") on the BGGO all the time. I guess everyone has a convection oven there. I have one, but I don't think I've ever used that feature.

by Anonymousreply 31October 26, 2020 1:53 AM

I meant GBBO, not BGGO (no, I'm not dyslexic!)

by Anonymousreply 32October 26, 2020 1:54 AM

I began a sourdough starter about 12 days ago and finally tonight it passed the float test! I made the (no-knead) bread dough and it's sitting overnight now. I really hope it turns out tomorrow. I'm in Colorado so the altitude might have an effect.

I'm following this recipe:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 27, 2020 9:48 AM

I’m making Julia Child’s tuna sandwich recipe tonight, served with a wedge salad and Sam Sifton’s apple pie. He uses honey crisp apples, and cooks them before adding to the crust. I have made the pie multiple times, and it is divine.

by Anonymousreply 34October 27, 2020 3:35 PM

I made this soup last night. It's at my skill level and is really good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 27, 2020 4:39 PM

r33 Thanks for sharing. I am on Day 3 of my starter -- after the first day it didn't seem to have changed very much, but today it's gotten HUGE, so I guess it's working. Can you let us know how you did your starter? I'm following a recipe from Food Network magazine, and now that I've seen some others, I wish I hadn't. The one I'm using requires you to remove all but 1/4 c. of the starter every time you feed it. It's kind of a hassle; the other recipes I've seen use weight rather than volume, which I think would be easier to deal with.

What have you been doing with the portion of the starter that you remove every day?

FYI, I started with 1/2 c. of whole wheat flour and 1/3 c. water, then the feeding is 1/2 c. unbleached AP flour and 1/4 c. of water.

by Anonymousreply 36October 27, 2020 5:15 PM

OP do you ever make anything healthy, or are you just into fat and sugar-laden crap?

by Anonymousreply 37October 27, 2020 5:26 PM

r37, are you ever [italic]not[/italic] a cunt? Share your experiences cooking, not vaginating.

by Anonymousreply 38October 27, 2020 5:32 PM

Not really much of a recipe per se, but one of our local grocers had bone in skin on turkey breasts for super cheap, it was only about $5 for a 2 1/2 pound breast. I also picked up a packet of McCormick Bag 'n Season for chicken, but just for the oven bag - I don't like the seasoning blend. I know Reynolds sells oven bags, but they're usually too big and meant for full size turkey's.

Just simply seasoned it with sea salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder and parsley. It only took an hour and 15 min at 350 since it was already thawed. Super moist, and it got a little browning on top as well (as long as you follow the instructions to make a few slits in the bag).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get one of these fresh turkey breasts just before Thanksgiving. I really don't feel like buying a whole frozen turkey, thawing it out for several days, cleaning it, etc....

by Anonymousreply 39October 27, 2020 5:40 PM

Don't be intimidated by Indian food.

I'll post this recipe but I never use a recipe anymore I just make it. If you wanted to try it for the first time, this is good but there are thousands of tikka masala recipes and they're all pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 27, 2020 6:10 PM

Matty matheson's butter chicken is THE SHIT, fwiw.

But I have never successfully made a biryani at home. It's my most-failed-at dish by far. Some of the failures have been quite something. Something awful, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 41October 27, 2020 9:05 PM

I'm going to try this recipe for Greek Lemon Potatoes.

But since I don't like oregano, I'll be replacing that with some parsley and basil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 28, 2020 12:13 AM

I have 2 boxes of Perugina cocoa powder and one large bar of Perugina 50% cacao chocolate from a trip to Italy in the 'before times'. I need to make something from them before they get too old. Anyone have any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 43October 28, 2020 1:36 AM

r42 Rosemary would be nice too.

by Anonymousreply 44October 28, 2020 2:27 AM

R44 Oh that's a great idea.

by Anonymousreply 45October 28, 2020 2:48 AM

Here is an incredibly rich cream of mushroom soup from Ruth Reichl. I've made it several times, and it's so easy I always ask myself why I don't make it more often. Stick to only eating one cup at a time, if you're faint of heart. A little sherry is a nice addition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 28, 2020 3:05 AM

R46, a good mushroom soup doesn’t need all of that flour and cream. Anthony Bourdain’s recipe is simple and tastes rich without half and half. I usually try to add a few more ‘funky’ mushrooms, or truffle salt...whatever I have on hand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 28, 2020 3:45 AM

Also, I really miss Bourdain. He was truly one of a kind.

by Anonymousreply 48October 28, 2020 3:54 AM

To all contributors on this thread, thank you. A kitchen full of gays, what could be better.

by Anonymousreply 49October 28, 2020 4:14 AM

Love you R49! The world is so dark right now. lt is nice to find something to enjoy, and share (even virtually).

by Anonymousreply 50October 28, 2020 4:27 AM

R50 Thanks, I agree. Any frustration arising in this thread will not be election related but rather because of an ill-tempered sour dough starter!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 28, 2020 5:08 AM

I like the King Arthur whole wheat flour. My husband and I make our own tortillas with it, and butter, salt, baking powder and water. I roll them out and he cooks them.

Tonight we had shrimp with orange-ginger sauce.

by Anonymousreply 52October 28, 2020 5:21 AM

A grumble: I made the Marcella Hazan bolognese sauce I read about here at DL and followed it EXACTLY. To the letter, didn’t alter it one bit. Bought a fresh new jar of whole nutmeg for it. It was a huge disappointment. It was edible but completely joyless. Some priss is going to scold me and say I didn’t let it cook down long enough or I did something wrong, but no. I’ve rarely followed a recipe as faithfully as I did this one.

It was a real kick in the nads.

by Anonymousreply 53October 28, 2020 5:51 AM

I make little silver-dollar pancakes with this: 1/2 c rolled oats (not quick; old-fashioned), 1/2 c cottage cheese, 1 egg, 1 Tbsp sugar, glug of vanilla extract or some lemon zest (or maybe both). I blend with an immersion blender and drop on a hot buttered frying pan. Lots of butter.

It’s a delicious little hot breakfast. Good way to stay full with protein.

by Anonymousreply 54October 28, 2020 6:02 AM

R33 here. My sourdough bread came out perfectly! I was so thrilled, because I wasn't sure I was doing it right each step of the way. But it was great: very crusty, tangy, chewy; perfect.

R36, I used the Feasting at Home starter recipe (using whole wheat flour to start, then switching to all purpose unbleached flour the next few days, then switching to unbleached bread flour the last few days). I discarded half the starter before feeding each day, saving a few batches in the fridge to make sourdough pancakes, waffles, and pizza dough in the near future. You'll get to the point where you just throw out the discard because you'll have at least 7 days worth. You can also give it away to friends who want to make their own starter (feeding the discard batch first before giving it away).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 28, 2020 7:06 AM

[quote] A grumble: I made the Marcella Hazan bolognese sauce I read about here at DL and followed it EXACTLY.... It was a huge disappointment.

I've also heard about people disappointed in her tomato sauce with butter. Some people rave about it, but other people just don't like it. I hate it when things get so hyped up for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 56October 28, 2020 7:48 AM

Try Bianco tomatoes, guys. Best canned tomatoes I've tried so far. Yes, I've tried canned San Marzanos, forgot which brands. IMO, Bianco is the best. Price is similar to Muir Glen brand.

As some of us move into winter, we can still make tomato dishes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 28, 2020 7:52 AM

The people who aren't liking Marcella's sauces, what kind of pasta are you eating each one with? Are you cooking the pasta long enough? There is a difference between al dente and undercooked. Are you salting the water enough? Are you putting salt in your sauce? Are you serving with freshly-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano?

by Anonymousreply 58October 28, 2020 10:15 AM

For R43, I make these brownies often. They’re rich and fudgy, I almost always have the ingredients, and only one bowl.

Thanks for this thread, OP!

by Anonymousreply 59October 28, 2020 11:25 AM

Whoops!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 28, 2020 11:26 AM

R53 - had the same experience. Didn't hate it by any means but was decidedly underwhelmed that THIS was the sauce everyone has been going on about. (and yes to the other poster I know how to prepare pasta - I followed the sauce recipe but only once so I dunno, should I try again? is it something that grows on you?)

R57 - Bianco canned tomatoes are the best tasting I've ever had (canned).

by Anonymousreply 61October 28, 2020 5:28 PM

I know Rao's sauce gets a lot of love. It was recently ranked as the top jarred sauce on America's Test Kitchen, with Victoria in 2nd place. I've since tried both, and honestly I think I prefer Victoria between the two. It's a really good base tomato sauce when you don't have all the fresh ingredients on hand to make a marinara from scratch (fresh onions, fresh garlic, fresh herbs, etc...).

It sells for about $6.99 per jar where I live. But with all costs considered vs. buying San Marzano tomatoes and all the other additional ingredients to make a sauce from scratch, it's not a bad deal at all imo. Especially if you're trying to avoid venturing out of the house right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 28, 2020 6:48 PM

This is the best cobbler I've ever had! Even though peach season has passed, I'd keep this one in my back pocket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 28, 2020 6:54 PM

I made beef stroganoff tonight. I cheated by using a jar of stroganoff starter (basically a simmer sauce.) The recipe on the jar said to use ground beef, but I used the more traditional steak (I used eye of round.) I floured and browned the beef first, then sautéed some onions and mushrooms. There didn't seem to be enough sauce in the jar for all the meat and vegetables, so I added about a cup of water then let in simmer for about half an hour to reduce down a little and tenderize the beef. Added sour cream at the end. It was actually decent, surprisingly.

by Anonymousreply 64October 29, 2020 1:46 AM

R64, your Beef Stroganoff was improved, I'm sure, by using strips of beef instead of hamburger. Hamburger just sounds wrong, although it's probably tasty.

by Anonymousreply 65October 29, 2020 4:27 AM

My go to order at Chipotle is their burrito bowl with cilantro lime white rice, chicken, corn salsa, and shredded Monterey jack cheese. But it's also relatively easy to make at home too.

Chicken - just boneless skinless chicken thighs marinated in a can of Chipotle in Adobo sauce for about an hour or so. Then I grill it and dice it up.

Cliantro Lime Rice - self explanatory. Just rice with fresh cilantro, lime juice, sea salt.

Corn salsa - Fresh corn, diced poblano peppers, diced red onion, fresh cilantro, lime juice, and sea salt.

by Anonymousreply 66October 29, 2020 9:05 AM

I’m making Ina Farten’s NO FART chili. Guaranteed.

by Anonymousreply 67October 29, 2020 11:25 AM

I stopped baking in August. Gave up potatoes and bread and I’ve lost 15 pounds. I’m giving this thread a pass.

by Anonymousreply 68October 29, 2020 11:34 AM

I've made a couple of Pioneer Woman recipes and they never turned out. I find that the recipes on The Spruce (which used to be about dot com) by Diana Rattray are far better, they're more traditional home cooking kinds of fare that taste better.

by Anonymousreply 69October 29, 2020 11:41 AM

Made a couple of cookie recipes lately, which I never do, and both came out too cakey. I think the flour is the culprit, I just bought some Gold Medal brand when I usually get store brand. I'll experiment with less flour next time.

Also made cupcakes from scratch for the first time and they were amazing. I'm not a great baker but this recipe is the best:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 29, 2020 11:46 AM

Try King Arthur All-Purpose Flour, r70, for general baking. I can't say what might have made your cookies "cakey" without looking at the recipe(s), but it's the best generally available flour.

by Anonymousreply 71October 29, 2020 12:00 PM

r71 I'm a King Arthur flour user and agree it's the best.

r70 Cakey? Overbaking, not enough fat and/or liquids or too much flour. If you're not weighing the flour, please do so. Makes measuring accurate and quicker. Invest in a digital scale, you can get one for around 20 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 72October 29, 2020 12:31 PM

That's a good tip BAG, thanks -- I've been measuring and have never weighed flour, it didn't even occur to me that I should be.

by Anonymousreply 73October 29, 2020 12:38 PM

I've also heard that the King Arthur recipes are good, in particular this no-knead harvest bread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 29, 2020 5:39 PM

I like weird, fun, off-beat recipes using unusual ingredients. I'm going to try to make these faux Butterfingers using melted candy corn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 29, 2020 5:47 PM

King Arthur flour gives me the shits.

by Anonymousreply 76October 29, 2020 6:01 PM

r76 Is KA the only flour that does that? Are you gluten intolerant?

by Anonymousreply 77October 29, 2020 6:14 PM

Does anyone else love BronzeAgeGay? I love BronzeAgeGay and want to be his friend.

I also have a question regarding KA flour. In short: WHY is it better? I am not disputing that it's better as I have never actually used it (I live in the KA flour-free hellscape that is Canada) but the sentiment is so unanimous I'm genuinely curious. Do they simply use superior wheat? And if so, in what way is that wheat superior? To me flour is flour, ground up wheat. How doe some flour get to be better than the other if confounding variables like freshness are left out? Or is it a confounding variable that explains KA's superiority?

Anyone? Help I'm confused and yes it happens a lot and yes I'm fat.

by Anonymousreply 78October 30, 2020 6:13 PM

From America’s Test Kitchen, r78;

“This flour is milled to a specific protein percentage of 11.7 percent, which was among the highest protein levels of the brands we tried and close to the bottom of the range usually found in bread flours. As a result, the bread we made with this flour rose tall and had an “airy,” “chewy” crumb and “crispy” crust. The biscuits were also tall, albeit a bit “bready.” Tasters noticed a “nice wheat flavor” in both the bread and the biscuits. However, texture and flavor differences were less discernible in the cake; while its texture was “a tad stiffer” than those of the cakes we made with other brands, it was still “pleasantly moist” and “plenty tender.” While we recommend this flour for bread baking, it’s also a good option for multipurpose baking.”

They recommend Gold Medal or Pillsbury for non-bread use.

by Anonymousreply 79October 30, 2020 6:25 PM

[quote]Does anyone else love BronzeAgeGay? I love BronzeAgeGay and want to be his friend.

I adore him. I would teach him to post pics if he would let me.

by Anonymousreply 80October 30, 2020 6:30 PM

r78 You made me blush. All over.

The King Arthur Flour Co. has been in business over 225 years, so they must be doing something right. I like their flour because it unbleached, and not having to deal with chemical "whiteners"( some of which are potential carcinogens) is a good deal. KA ages their flour which naturally lightens the color, but it takes time, that's one of the reasons it's more expensive than the standard supermarket flours.

r80 I appreciate the gesture, and the compliment, but as I am the least savvy computer user, it would end in tears

by Anonymousreply 81October 30, 2020 6:43 PM

Well, Bronzie, I'll settle for leaving you WWs.

R80

by Anonymousreply 82October 30, 2020 6:48 PM

r80/r82 Many thanks, I can use all the Well Wishes I can get.😉

by Anonymousreply 83October 30, 2020 6:52 PM

Thank you R79! And you, Bronzie. You're my fave because you manage that thing of being decent AND interesting. This website needs more like you.

by Anonymousreply 84October 30, 2020 7:03 PM

Best potato salad I’ve ever made or tried. She can be annoying, but it’s worth watching the video. It’s so much better than the typical deli potato salad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 30, 2020 7:11 PM

Hard boiled eggs in potato salad, r85? Why not dog vomit? Or how about a month's worth of smegma from two dozen Eurodongs?

by Anonymousreply 86October 30, 2020 7:14 PM

Hard-boiled eggs are a normal ingredient in a potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 87October 30, 2020 9:13 PM

Not in one I'm going to eat, r87.

by Anonymousreply 88October 30, 2020 9:14 PM

I do a compromise on the hard boiled egg "controversy". .. I'm not a fan of the white part of the egg in potato salad. But I like the flavor that the hard boiled yolk has and chop it up so fine that it becomes like a dried mustard powder and "dust" the potatoes with some of that like it's another spice.

by Anonymousreply 89October 31, 2020 12:28 AM

Most of the recipes from America’s Test Kitchen have turned out great.

by Anonymousreply 90October 31, 2020 1:32 AM

I just did an inventory of my freezer because I was tired of buying replacement stuff for things I had buried in there. So now I am going to be trying to find recipes to use up all of the stuff I discovered. (My goal is to empty it out completely and buy a new fridge.) I was amazed at how much was in there: shrimp, scallops, brisket, pork chops, lamb, chicken, sausage, ground beef, ribeye steaks, lots of vegetables, fruits, things I'd made in the past but didn't label so now I have no idea what they are, bread, nuts, filled pastas, butter, cookie doughs that I'd made, pie crust, puff pastry, etc. So I'm not going to be buying much food (except for fresh fruits and vegetables) for the next few months!

by Anonymousreply 91October 31, 2020 2:54 AM

Sally's baking addiction is GREAT R70

by Anonymousreply 92October 31, 2020 4:29 AM

R91, I did a "shop your pantry" project this summer as well. Except I didn't get a new fridge at the end of it.

by Anonymousreply 93October 31, 2020 5:10 AM

I wish we had gotten an upright freezer instead of a chest freezer. I hate it. So hard to find anything.

by Anonymousreply 94October 31, 2020 10:20 AM

R91 I’m in the same boat! At the moment tying to decide on a shrimp and rice dish maybe something like a South Carolina Shrimp Pilau? Anyone else have a shrimp and rice recipe that isn’t jambalaya?

I anticipate a rollercoaster week, if we can keep this recipe swap thread going I would appreciate the diversion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95November 2, 2020 11:10 AM

Turkey Brining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 2, 2020 11:37 AM

R95

You can always make a Shrimp Risotto recipe. I add half the shrimp cut up in chunks when I saute the rice and onions, before adding the wine. Then finish the risotto and add the remaining half of the shrimp, whole, in the last five minutes.

I've also roasted (broiled, really) the remaining half and topped each serving with a few of the roasted shrimp.

Oh, and I love Ina Garten but to make good risotto you do have to stir and stir; the oven method is just not good enough. Easier, certainly, but why bother?

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 97November 2, 2020 2:14 PM

R95

Oh, forgot this part: if you've peeled the shrimp and have all the shells, you can make a quick shrimp stock with the shells and use it in the risotto.

by Anonymousreply 98November 2, 2020 2:16 PM

Ina's not as um, dependable, when it comes to Italian food. She once actually added olive oil to the pot of water she boiled pasta in.

by Anonymousreply 99November 2, 2020 2:16 PM

R99

Heresy, for an Italian. As an Italian, I generally don't use "Italian" recipes from non-Italian cooks.

And NOTHING Italian from the generally dependable (but fussy) America's Test Kitchen, who swear by using cottage cheese in lasagna or baked ziti as a replacement for ricotta. Cottage cheese, for christ's sake!

by Anonymousreply 100November 2, 2020 2:30 PM

On another thread a few weeks ago, someone posted a recipe for Greek chicken thighs that looked really good. I forgot to save it. If the original poster is on this thread, or might have saved it, would you please share again. I googled it by none of the ones I saw looked the same. TIA

by Anonymousreply 101November 2, 2020 3:02 PM

My sourdough starter was a bust, and I think I know what I did wrong. But I also thought it was a royal pain, especially having to discard all but 1/4 c. every time you "fed" it. I think I'm going to try again, but using a recipe that goes by weight instead of volume. And cleaning up everything is also a huge mess--the flour and water hardens and sticks to everything.

by Anonymousreply 102November 2, 2020 5:17 PM

r101 Was it this recipe, Ethan? It was rather good. I cut it in half, as two pounds was just the right amount. It was delicious. It rendered a lot of liquid, so have some bread on hand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103November 2, 2020 6:05 PM

This Korean fire chicken is one of the best chicken recipes I have made. I usually find chicken boring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 3, 2020 12:22 AM

This is a strawberry & cream cheese dish with a crust made from pretzels. Every time I've made it people have raved over it.

INGREDIENTS

6 1/2 oz. pretzel sticks

2 1/4 cups sugar

12 Tbs unsalted butter, melted & cooled

8 oz. cream cheese

1 cup heavy cream

3 lbs. frozen strawberries, thawed

1/4 tsp salt

4 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin

1/2 cup cold water

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Spray a 13"x9" baking pan with vegetable spray. Pulse pretzels and 1/4 cup sugar in food processor until coarsely ground, about 15 pulses. Add melted butter and pulse until combined, about 10 pulses. Transfer pretzel mixture to prepared pan. Using bottom of measuring cup, press crumbs into bottom of pan. Bake on middle rack at 400° until crust is fragrant and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Place crust in the refrigerator until completely cool.

2. In mixer with whisk attachment whip cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high and, with mixer still running, slowly add cream in steady stream. Continue to whip until soft peaks form, scraping down bowl as needed, about 1 minute longer. Spread whipped cream cheese mixture evenly over cooled crust. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.

3. Process 2 lbs. strawberries in a food processor until pureed, about 30 seconds. Using a large spoon push mixture through fine-mesh strainer into a medium saucepan. Add remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar and salt to strawberry puree and cook over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally, until bubbles begin to appear around sides of pan and sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

4. Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water in large bowl and let sit about 5 minutes until gelatin softens. Whisk strawberry puree into gelatin. Slice remaining strawberries and stir into strawberry-gelatin mixture. Refrigerate until gelatin thickens slightly and starts to cling to sides of bowl, about 30 minutes. Carefully pour gelatin mixture evenly over whipped cream cheese layer. Refrigerate at least 4 hours to allow gelatin to set, or up to 24 hours.

by Anonymousreply 105November 3, 2020 12:29 AM

If you like cheesecake but would like a lighter more airy cake this Japanese Cotton Cheesecake may be right up your alley. It's as if you crossed a New York style cheesecake with a souffle. I serve this cake with a fruit compote.

Ingredients

8 oz of cream cheese (room temperature)

2 Tbs of unsalted butter (room temperature)

6 eggs, separated

1/2 cup whole milk

5 Tbs of sifted cornstarch

1-1/2 Tbs of lemon juice

2/3 cup sugar, separated

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Preparation

Preheat oven to 325°. Line the bottom & sides of a 9” spring form pan with parchment paper, then spray very well with non stick spray. Wrap the outside of the pan with a couple layers of aluminum foil and set aside.

In a small saucepan add the cream cheese, milk and butter and on very low heat until the mixture is smooth and creamy making sure to whisk the whole time. Pour mixture into a bowl and allow it to cool.

Using the whisk attachment to a mixer whisk the egg yolks and 1/3 cup of sugar until thick and pale. Add the cornstarch, lemon juice and salt and mix until combined.

Pour in the cooled cream cheese mixture and mix until thoroughly combined, set aside.

Clean the mixer bowl and whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy, then slowly add the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.

Fold the egg whites into the batter & pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Place that pan into a larger pan. Fill the outter pan with hot water 1/2 the way up the sides of the spring form pan.

Bake the cake for 1 hour and 10 minutes making sure not to open the oven door for the first 45 minutes. If you feel like the top is browning too quickly, loosely cover with some aluminum foil while it continues to bake.

Turn the oven off and leave the cake in the oven for an additional hour then carefully remove from the oven, take the pan out of the water bath and allow it to cool completely before removing from the pan.

by Anonymousreply 106November 3, 2020 12:34 AM

This is what the strawberry pretzel salad looks like prepared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 3, 2020 12:36 AM

And this is the Japanese Cotton Cheesecake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 3, 2020 12:38 AM

What a delicious menu! Not to be too pedantic, but alfajores are not Argentinian. They are Spanish by way of the Middle East. Spaniards brought that delicious cookie to the Americas. You might find different recipes for alfajores if you widen your search to include Spain and other Latin American countries.

by Anonymousreply 109November 3, 2020 1:13 AM

I've made the strawberry pretzel salad lots of times -- it's always a hit, but it's really more like dessert than a salad.

I've made this one for Thanksgiving several times and it's usually well-received.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 3, 2020 2:08 AM

On last week's Great British Bake-Off/Baking Show, Lottie made some Japanese cake called a "cotton jiggly cake." Here's the recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111November 3, 2020 2:11 AM

Thanks R106! That sounds perfect for Thanksgiving dessert! I like lighter desserts after a heavy meal, so it sounds great.

by Anonymousreply 112November 3, 2020 2:36 AM

Love the strawberry pretzel dessert! Speaking of GBBO I am tempted to try the matcha crepe cake, has anyone made it?

For tonight I am thinking a beef stew or stew meat chili, I have 3 lbs of cubed beef to work with, anyone have a knock out recipe?

by Anonymousreply 113November 3, 2020 10:37 AM

Every time I've made the strawberry pretzel dish I've had to make an extra one because everybody who tries it begs for some to take home. That pretzel crust is good enough to make on its own and eat as cookies. The perfect blend of salty, sweet & crunchy.

by Anonymousreply 114November 3, 2020 10:49 AM

R103, yes, that’s the one. Wow, you were quick to respond. I was out last night, so I didn’t check in until know. I’ll give it a try soon. A foodie friend brought me a big bag of Greek oregano from a trip and I’ve waited to try it on a Greek or Greek style recipe.

Thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 115November 3, 2020 12:33 PM

I left one thing out of the strawberry pretzel recipe at R105. you also need 1 lb. of fresh sliced strawberries to put in the top layer.

by Anonymousreply 116November 3, 2020 12:50 PM

R108, I’ve bought that many times in a Japanese bakery. I call it milk cake. Cotton cheesecake is a good description.

by Anonymousreply 117November 3, 2020 7:02 PM

This Cream Cheese Shortcake recipe from Valerie Bertinelli sounds good (I saw her make it on her show.) I'm going to add it to my list of things to try.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 3, 2020 9:20 PM

What are you making this weekend? I think I will do Penne vodka tonight with a bottle of cava, hopefully celebrating a Biden win!

by Anonymousreply 119November 6, 2020 11:52 AM

I'm going to try making a hot vinaigrette for a wilted spinach salad. That's usually done by frying bacon crisp to crumble on top, using the hot grease to make the dressing that wilts the spinach. But I don't eat meat, so I'm going to make the dressing by heating walnut oil and balsamic vinegar, then sprinkling toasted walnuts and bleu cheese on top. The salad will be baby spinach and red onion with sliced raw mushrooms -- if I can find good pears on sale, I'll replace the mushrooms with those.

by Anonymousreply 120November 6, 2020 12:23 PM

Ethan at R101, was it the Greek Lemon Chicken and Potatoes recipe? That's one I saved from a previous thread but haven't made yet:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 6, 2020 12:26 PM

Does chef cum count as a recipe? That is what I want to eat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122November 6, 2020 2:03 PM

This guy's cooking channel is the shit. He's chill, cute and makes everything super-simple but does a deep dive on technique. I've always disliked penne a la vodka - think its crappy pub food - but his video for it was so appetizing that I gave it a go - and it fucking ruled. I also cracked the cacio e pepe code using his video for it. Came out perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 6, 2020 2:16 PM

I watched him for a couple of days, r123, and yes, he's basically very good. But I hated grating P-R his way, on the smallest holes of the box grater. You leave too much cheese behind.

by Anonymousreply 124November 6, 2020 2:30 PM

I was going to make this seared ahi tuna salad tonight (it’s very good and healthy) but will probably go for a late lunch with my partner, so it may have to wait until tomorrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 6, 2020 2:49 PM

Penne alla vodka is pub food?

by Anonymousreply 126November 6, 2020 2:51 PM

“Penne alla vodka is pub food?“

In many easy coast pubs, especially in NYC, penne a la vodka is the standard pasta dish they offer on the menu. Especially in the nicer Irish pubs.

by Anonymousreply 127November 6, 2020 2:54 PM

I'm making this fall meat loaf tonight. Kind of a strange recipe -- you put stuffing mix and cranberries (mixed with ketchup) into the meat mixture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128November 21, 2020 11:46 PM

OP, where are the links for goodness sakes! Your suggestions sound great but there are so many variations and I don't have the skill to differentiate.

by Anonymousreply 129November 21, 2020 11:50 PM

It's difficult to post links when you can only do one at a time. Which one(s) are you interested in?

by Anonymousreply 130November 22, 2020 12:17 AM

[quote]Cook's Country's Slow Cooker Sausage Ragu (delicious and easy.)

Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 131November 22, 2020 12:30 AM

Unfortunately that one is behind a paywall. I got the recipe from the magazine itself.

by Anonymousreply 132November 22, 2020 1:14 AM

However, I found this, which has the ingredients but not the instructions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133November 22, 2020 1:18 AM

Instructions:

BEFORE YOU BEGIN This recipe yields about 10 cups of sauce (enough to coat 2 pounds of pasta). Serve the ragu with grated Pecorino Romano cheese and chopped fresh basil. 1 INSTRUCTIONS Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add fennel, onion, and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is uniformly colored, about 1 minute. Transfer vegetable mixture to slow cooker. 2 Add sausage, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine, pepper, and salt to slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook until sausage is cooked through and tender, 6 to 7 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low. 3 Skim excess fat from surface of sauce with spoon. Using potato masher, mash sausage in slow cooker until uniformly broken into small pieces. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve. (Cooled sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.) 4 FREEZE IT: This sauce freezes beautifully for up to two months. To freeze it, let the sauce cool completely and then spoon it into a zipper-lock bag or an airtight storage container. You can reheat the sauce right from frozen in a saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat (stirring frequently and taking care to not let it scorch) with a little extra water added.

by Anonymousreply 134November 22, 2020 1:39 AM

Thank you, R134, for putting this together for me.

by Anonymousreply 135November 22, 2020 1:16 PM

I am trying to find a good recipe for an almond horn/ Russian tea cake type of cookie. A melt in your mouth crumbly cookie that I can use chopped almonds in rolled in powdered sugar. Does anyone have a recipe they can recommend?

by Anonymousreply 136November 23, 2020 11:28 AM

Almond horns, or crescents, are a typical Viennese pastry. Any Russian teacake/Mexican Wedding cake/Pecan Snowball recipe can be adapted for almonds. The shape of the pastry can be a problem, because they are very fragile, since they won't me mound-shaped. Add a bit more flour to make a sturdier product. Making them smaller than called for will help as well.

Happy baking!

by Anonymousreply 137November 23, 2020 3:49 PM

One of my friends asks me to make him snowballs/Russian teacakes/Mexican wedding cookies every year. I don't really have a "perfect" recipe ... does anyone have one they swear by? I usually just end up Googling and finding something that looks OK.

by Anonymousreply 138November 23, 2020 4:54 PM

Now I want to make Russian teacakes. They were a favorite as a child.

by Anonymousreply 139November 23, 2020 9:08 PM

R139 Anastasia, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 140November 23, 2020 9:53 PM

r138 I use my mom's recipe, and that was out of the Betty Crocker cookbook, the iconic red & white one from the 50's:

1cup butter, softened ) ) 1/2 cup sifted confectioner's sugar(40gms)------------------Cream thoroughly ) 1 tsp. vanilla extract )

2 1/4 cup sifted flour(240 grams) ) )----------- Sift together and stir in 1/4 tsp. salt )

3/4 cup finely chopped nuts of your choice)------- Mix in thoroughly

Chill dough. Roll into balls, the recipe says 1". I like to make them smaller( I use a small sorbet scoop to make them uniform) Place on a ungreased cookie sheet, about 2" apart, they don't grow much. Bake @ 400F for 10-12 minutes until set, but not brown. While still warm sift confectioner's sugar over cookies after placing them on racks, with waxed paper underneath. Cool. Dredge with sugar again. Store in an airtight container, with the lid cracked just a bit, so the cookies don't become too soft. I put mine in small cupcake papers before they go into the container.

I hope this helps you out.

by Anonymousreply 141November 23, 2020 10:03 PM

^^^ My apologies. The formatting got a bit screwed up, but I think you can figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 142November 23, 2020 10:06 PM

Thanks Bronzie! Those sound good. I've made Greek butter cookies (Kourabiedes) many, many times, and the recipe is similar (although our family never included the traditional nuts for some reason.) But these are definitely more along the lines of what my friend wants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143November 24, 2020 1:40 AM

r143 My pleasure. I like kourabiedes, because they are usually cloves-flavored(a taste some find objectionable) The cookies hold up well in storage, so if you have to bake for Christmas you can start now. Store in a cool place.

by Anonymousreply 144November 24, 2020 8:22 AM

I haven't tried the method of cooking heirloom beans at the link but I love the guy's approach:

"I actually don't focus on the time too much, but one of my favorite things to do on a Sunday is to put on the classic Bette Davis movie, 'All About Eve,' and at one point, she's gonna say, 'Fasten your seat belt. It's gonna be a bumpy night.' And that's at the point I add the salt. And then, later in the movie, she says, 'It's a funny business, a woman's career,' and that's, like, 'Oh, we should start testing them. They might be done.'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 24, 2020 3:58 PM

Could someone recommend some beef stew recipes? I'd like something with peppers/paprika.

by Anonymousreply 146November 28, 2020 10:17 PM

I don't know what this is called, or even if it has a name. A friend of mine served it for dinner a few years ago, and it remains one of the best steak sauces I have ever had.

Pocket a fillet steak and insert slices of Stilton cheese. Fry in butter and oil until medium rare, then leave to rest. Deglaze the frying pan with brandy, then add clotted cream and English mustard. When fully mixed and reducing, pour in the juices from the resting steak. Serve the sauce over the steak, with new potatoes and minted peas.

Very rich and filling, but absolutely gorgeous. Perfect for a special dinner.

by Anonymousreply 147November 28, 2020 10:27 PM

One of my discoveries over the past couple of years was Katharine Hepburn brownies. If you like fuggy, not cake, brownies, this is the recipe for you. It will be slightly gooey inside. Walnuts are optional. Check doneness after 30 minutes (note the 325 degree oven). When the top starts to harden (tap a knife somewhere in the middle) then it is done. Don't let it overbake. Serve while slightly warm.

You can talk about Miss Hepburn while eating this dessert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148November 28, 2020 10:38 PM

I found a package of Trader Joe's frozen puff pastry in my freezer ... I'm sure it's at least five years old. Took it out, thawed it and made it into cinnamon rolls. I'm a little hesitant to try them ...

by Anonymousreply 149November 28, 2020 10:44 PM

I need to make soup with my four jars of turkey stock. Any suggestions? These week we did turkey risotto, turkey enchiladas, turkey cobb salad and turned the cornbread stuffing into waffles and the sweet potatoes into scones.

by Anonymousreply 150December 2, 2020 1:42 AM

Fuck. I always come across these threads when I'm hungry.

by Anonymousreply 151December 2, 2020 2:11 AM

That all sounds great, R150. The post-Thanksgiving turkey soup I make uses as many leftovers as possible (potatoes, celery, carrots) plus onions and mushrooms. If no spuds, use noodles or rice (from leftover risotto?) for starch. We don't serve peas or green beans at dinner, so those aren't among the available leftovers, but people who like them would enjoy those additions. The most important ingredient is good homemade stock and you've got 4 jars of that, so you're set.

Your cornbread stuffing waffles and sweet potato scones sound intriguing!

by Anonymousreply 152December 2, 2020 2:15 AM

I'm making a peanut butter-fudge Bundt cake for a friend's birthday this weekend.

Next up: I'm going to try the Cook's Country recipe for Amish Cinnamon Bread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153December 2, 2020 9:09 PM

I saw this recipe on "The Kitchen" and it looks delicious. I think I'm going to try it and add caramel frosting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154December 16, 2020 4:08 AM

What is a stove top recipe that smells great as you’re cooking it?

by Anonymousreply 155December 16, 2020 4:12 AM

Has anyone made Joy the Baker’s Chocolate Babka Muffins? Wondering if worth the effort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156December 16, 2020 11:10 AM

[quote]What is a stove top recipe that smells great as you’re cooking it?

* anything with bacon

* tomato sauces, with or without meat, that you might eat with pasta

* stews and braises

by Anonymousreply 157December 16, 2020 11:37 AM

I’d love to try these delights, but mama’s mussy is ready for a night on the town! 😷

by Anonymousreply 158December 16, 2020 11:48 AM

R155, you can have great aromas emanating from the kitchen without cooking: put a pot of water with a few cinnamon sticks and whole cloves in it on a burner and simmer without a lid.

by Anonymousreply 159December 16, 2020 12:56 PM

R155 Anything that starts with onions and garlic sauteed in butter (which is a lot of things). Bonus point for throwing some bacon/pork fat in there, too. I make a lot of white-people Indian food this way, chicken tikka masala being the main thing.

by Anonymousreply 160December 18, 2020 2:52 AM

How do we feel about persimmons? I've been getting them in my Imperfect Foods box. I'm going to make the James Beard persimmon bread recipe. I made it a few years ago and remember that it came out pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 21, 2020 12:11 AM

r156 Those sound good, but they seem more like cinnamon rolls than muffins. And I kind of have an aversion to chocolate in the morning, so I think they'd be better off as a dessert than as a bread item.

by Anonymousreply 162December 21, 2020 12:12 AM

R161, I've made James Beard's persimmon bread and it is very good, but I like the linked Epicurious recipe for persimmon cake even better. Instead of currants, I use a mixture of golden raisins and dried cranberries plumped in brandy -- and I've never bothered with the cream cheese icing because the cake looks and tastes so great without any topping. It's always been a big hit with everyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163December 21, 2020 12:48 AM

A few other things I made recently (to give to friends):

Ina Garten's bourbon applesauce cake

Ina's white chocolate toffee

Rachael Ray's five-minute fudge wreath

Katie Lee's cherry-pistachio biscotti

I've been having some baking failures and finally realized that my oven thermostat is WAY off. when I set it for 350, it tells me it's ready when it hasn't even reached 200. I tried recalibrating it, but that ended up making it get too hot. So now I have to check the oven thermometer to see what the temperature actually is before I put something in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 164December 21, 2020 1:27 AM

I just made peanut brittle for the first time--surprised at how easy it was and how well it turned out. I'm going to try it again, but with several different kinds of nuts.

by Anonymousreply 165January 3, 2021 6:36 PM

I'm 68 years old and just made my very first brisket!

by Anonymousreply 166January 18, 2021 2:32 AM

Incredibly simple recipe, but I was craving some Chinese takeout but didn't want to venture out. So I settled for this since I had all the ingredients. It's been getting really chilly where I'm at right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167January 18, 2021 7:26 AM

This thai red curry squash soup is the best. I stick to the seasonings, but throw in carrots, red bell peppers and celery if I have it. You can roast the veggies or use the instant pot/pressure cooker. I top with sour cream rather than coconut milk. If you're using authentic Thai red curry paste, use less. It packs more of a punch than the American stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168January 19, 2021 9:16 PM

Just seeing this thread now. I LOVE malt flavoring, OP. Ice cream (Ben & Jerry’s Chubby Hubby, oh my god), malt balls (Whoppers), etc. A singular delight. Reminds me of being a kid, and is one of the few big flavors of my childhood that I still love as much now as I did then.

by Anonymousreply 169January 19, 2021 10:17 PM

I saw this "recipe" somewhere else and had similar thoughts as this gentleman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170January 23, 2021 8:19 PM

I'm stealing that recipe!

by Anonymousreply 171January 23, 2021 10:34 PM

I nearly always make steel-cut oats on the stovetop, but tonight I decided to try doing them overnight in the slow-cooker.

by Anonymousreply 172February 9, 2021 3:36 AM

My recipe for Swiss Steak is pretty similar to Alton Brown's at R28 - except mine does not use oregano or Worcestershire sauce. .. Mine has basil and apple cider vinegar.

Also, half way through the cooking, I throw in some slices of carrot and green pepper, both cut long and narrow, rather thin. They add flavor and look pretty with the tomato. ;-)

by Anonymousreply 173February 9, 2021 5:13 AM

Anyone have a good shrimp creole recipe that has a little kick to it?

by Anonymousreply 174February 14, 2021 8:58 PM

R12 - I find cooking at home is so much better for the waistline than other stuff. Before the pandemic, I was, oddly enough, more in the mood to meal prep and just because I was packing lunches based on high protein and complex carbs and veggies followed by the gym and a clear or chicken soup or creamed spinach (no heavy cream, just milk) at night, I lost loads of weight.

by Anonymousreply 175February 14, 2021 9:26 PM

Does one put sautéed and chopped mushrooms in New England clam chowder? Opinions please.

by Anonymousreply 176February 14, 2021 9:27 PM

Sacrilege, r176!

by Anonymousreply 177February 14, 2021 10:18 PM

We've been making this stuffed cabbage recipe for years. Best we've found on the net. Everyone is always requesting it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178February 15, 2021 1:12 AM

r176 no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

does that answer your question?

by Anonymousreply 179February 15, 2021 1:35 AM

R179, that seems possible if the resulting soup is called "bisque" rather than "chowder".

by Anonymousreply 180February 15, 2021 1:36 AM

I'm in going to try Guy F's chicken marsala, served with penne. I'm going to my liquor store this week and will pick up some marsala wine. just got it sent to my youtube page via food network. Does anyone know a good marsala wine (dry) for this dish (inexpensive)?

by Anonymousreply 181February 15, 2021 1:39 AM

I just made English muffins from the King Arthur recipe. They were much easier than I'd anticipated, and came out good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 13, 2021 12:54 AM

This Spiced Meatball Soup recipe sounds delicious. I like the using warm spices like cinnamon and allspice in savory applications.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183October 21, 2021 5:43 PM

One of my favorite things is looking at old amateur cookbooks to find recipes.

One of the recipes I have found, that people love when I cook it is "deviled pork chops." There is one recipe still available in the women's club cookbook but they used to have another edition of their cook book that had a slightly different recipe.

Basically, take 6 potatoes and dice them and mix with 6 diced onions. Place the potato and onions in the bottom of a roasting pan. Then take your pork chops and place them on top. You can place them raw or sear them first like I do. Then you make basically a tangy hot barbecue sauce. I mix ketchup, yellow mustard, vinegar, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce, and I add in some brown sugar, salt and black pepper, and water. Your pour that over top of the pork chops and potatoes. Place the roasting pan in a 375 F. oven and bake for 1h 45m. Add more sauce a few times while cooking and remove the cover of the dish for the last 30-20 mins of cooking to allow browning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184October 21, 2021 6:05 PM

I used to have a recipe sort of like that but I lost it years ago. It used sliced potatoes instead of diced, and either beef stock or consommé with the Worcestershire sauce.

by Anonymousreply 185October 21, 2021 10:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!