Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

UT-Austin professor sues students for libel

I followed this story last year but had forgotten about it since. Apparently he has sued the students for labeling him a pedophile.

Last December they formed a mob and protested outside his home (video in first reply)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2020 11:58 AM

Protests outside his home

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 5:07 PM

Next thing you won't be able to write about THE BLACK STALLION since it will be promoting bestiality and racism!!!

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 5:42 PM

HE'S TEACHING THEM HISTORY! BURN HIM!

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 6:00 PM

"“No college student should ever find themselves in this situation — being sued by a university professor. It took my breath away,” she said in an email. “A university campus is a place for the free exchange of ideas and for young people to learn."

ROFLMAO. Say that the next time these youngins go apeshit & riot when a conservative speaker is invited to campus.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 6:17 PM

r4 she doesn't see the irony in her email.

[quote]A university campus is a place for the free exchange of ideas

Well, unless she disagrees with someone else's ideas, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 6:24 PM

r4 unless she is referring to her "freedom to slander" I suppose

To call someone a "pedophile" is rather despicable

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 6:25 PM

From the article that R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 and R6 did not read

[quote] Hubbard has written extensively on the subject, often using classic literature’s depictions of homosexual relationships to suggest changing age of consent laws and challenging modern norms about youth sexuality.

[quote] In his academic writing, Hubbard describes physical relationships between men and young boys in ancient times as “proper learning experiences.” In a 2010 article published in a peer-reviewed journal, Hubbard examines sexual consent among adolescent males in antiquity, asking, “What can we learn from the Greeks?”

[quote] “Contemporary American legislation premised on children’s incapacity to ‘consent’ to sexual relations stems from outmoded gender constructions and ideological preoccupations of the late Victorian and Progressive Era,” Hubbard writes. “We should consider a different ‘age of consent’ for boys and girls.”

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 6:31 PM

I have read, and followed, this story since it broke last year, r7. Do learn how to read.

Nothing that he has written "proves" that he advocates for pedophilia, let alone is a pedophile.

And his writings are protected by academic freedom. UT-Austin has said as much.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 6:39 PM

[BOLD] [ITALIC] O H

F U C K ! ! !

A N O T H E R

S T E A L T H

N A M B L A

T H R E A D

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 6:41 PM

[BOLD] [ITALIC] O H

F U C K ! ! !

A N O T H E R

S T E A L T H

N A M B L A

T H R E A D

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 6:41 PM

[BOLD] [ITALIC] O H

F U C K ! ! !

A N O T H E R

S T E A L T H

N A M B L A

T H R E A D

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 6:41 PM

[BOLD] [ITALIC] O H

F U C K ! ! !

A N O T H E R

S T E A L T H

N A M B L A

T H R E A D

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 6:41 PM

[BOLD] [ITALIC] O H

F U C K ! ! !

A N O T H E R

S T E A L T H

N A M B L A

T H R E A D

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 6:41 PM

[BOLD] [ITALIC] O H

F U C K ! ! !

A N O T H E R

S T E A L T H

N A M B L A

T H R E A D

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2020 6:41 PM

[BOLD] [ITALIC] O H

F U C K ! ! !

A N O T H E R

S T E A L T H

N A M B L A

T H R E A D

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2020 6:41 PM

[BOLD] [ITALIC] O H

F U C K ! ! !

A N O T H E R

S T E A L T H

N A M B L A

T H R E A D

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2020 6:41 PM

[BOLD] [ITALIC] O H

F U C K ! ! !

A N O T H E R

S T E A L T H

N A M B L A

T H R E A D

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 6:41 PM

[BOLD] [ITALIC] O H

F U C K ! ! !

A N O T H E R

S T E A L T H

N A M B L A

T H R E A D

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2020 6:41 PM

[BOLD] [ITALIC] O H

F U C K ! ! !

A N O T H E R

S T E A L T H

N A M B L A

T H R E A D

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2020 6:41 PM

[BOLD] [ITALIC] O H

F U C K ! ! !

A N O T H E R

S T E A L T H

N A M B L A

T H R E A D

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2020 6:42 PM

r8 what he means is that he assumes you would agree with him if you read that, which you clearly don't. Now he will label you a pedo or pedo-adjacent. Or spam, like the idiot above.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2020 6:42 PM

Students having time to protest shit like that means they don't have enough work to do. Also it's before the age of 25, so their brains haven't fully matured, which is why they shouldn't be allowed to vote or drive cars until then.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2020 6:43 PM

Why is this school teaching this class?

That teacher is a fucked up guy

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2020 7:46 PM

I don't mind students protesting, but r1 is almost frightening.

They also disrupted his classes.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2020 7:47 PM

People have been killed due to accusations of pedophilia - picketing someone's house with shit like that is a witch hunt that can easily end very badly for the alleged witch, and it's crazy that it can't be discussed in an historical context without some holier-than-thou 19 year olds getting their panties twisted and trying to get him fired.

You can see it with the queen above who read the article, decided the students were correct and it was SO OBVIOUS to everyone, then threw a tantrum when people didn't agree with him and discussed it intelligently, then spammed the thread. No discussion, no commenting, just shut down discussion because he has ordained it so. It's the way a lot of people act on social media now - no critical thinking skills, just emotional reactions fueled by righteousness.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2020 4:25 AM

Here’s the solution:

Tether a naked 13 year old boy outside the front door of the teacher’s house. If the boy is still a virgin in the morning, those students have a lot of apologizing to do.

Based on the teacher’s writings, that boy is going to have one sore ass.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2020 4:38 AM

What do you want to bet that 90% of the accusers are unattractive females?

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2020 12:27 PM

Hey Teech, can I borrow your notes?

For research purposes.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2020 12:37 PM

Oh, HIGHer Education.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2020 12:39 PM

Thank you r25

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2020 3:00 PM

leftists are the fucking worst. Their favorite pastime is to accuse gay men of pedophelia

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2020 12:14 PM

[quote] leftists are the fucking worst. Their favorite pastime is to accuse gay men of pedophelia

It will backfire.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2020 12:38 PM

I'm not a Classicist but Ancient Greece (and Rome to a degree) is a hobby of mine, so I have a lot of academic books on the topic. In the course of this pursuit, I'm also very much interested in Ancient Greek and Roman sexualities.

First of all, there are only a few serious scholars working in this field, despite sexuality being such an integral part of these ancient cultures. I think that I have also read some content (book chapters?) by Hubbard, and from what I remember, his work was within the normal range for this type of discourse.

Academic studies of historical sexualities only work if scholars aim at describing and interpreting past practices within the frame of mind of the period in question. Contemporary morals are misplaced in the historical field, which essentially remains descriptive, not normative/prescriptive. Otherwise you get results like in the 19th century when Greek sexuality was 'straight-washed' based on 19th century morals. I am glad that people like Hubbard do research on these fascinating topics, without falling into moral hysterics because the Ancient Greek world conceptualized the world and its place in it differently than we do 2,500 years later.

The students should be ashamed for being so ideologically deluded and academically narrow-minded, while claiming to strive for a degree in higher education. If you can't separate your morals from your field of study (at least to a certain degree), you simply have no place at the university.

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2020 12:43 PM

r33 is the best response I've read on DL in some time

by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2020 2:40 PM

r31 uh, QAnon is a vast right wing conspiracy accusing the left of pedophilia en masse. I don't think it's just a "leftist" issue.

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2020 2:53 AM

r4, conservatives are the ones who are against learning and different points of view. That's most people with advanced degrees don't support the GOP

r31, if you want to bitch about "leftists" maybe you should check out some QAnon threads and get back to me. Or talk to the conseratives who are boycotting Netflix because of a French film they haven't seen and never will see

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2020 2:58 AM

Dataloungers get offended over the word "cisgender" while accusing others of being easily offended

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2020 2:59 AM

r37 it's because it's not just the made-up new word "cis" used to "center" trans people in language to the exclusion of everyone else, it ties into the whole gender theory movement that is allowing male-bodied persons in women's spaces in the interests of "inclusivity" for trans women at the expense of biological womens' rights.

It's a little different from being offended because someone parked in your spot at the office, or pissed because Starbucks ran out of pumpkin cream cheese muffins right before you got there.

by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2020 3:04 AM

r36, please familiarize yourself with the horseshoe theory.

There are ideologues and authoritarians on both the right and the left.

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2020 11:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!