Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Movies/Roles That Ruined The Careers of Actors or Directors.

Name actors or directors that had their careers ruined by making a certain movie or taking a certain role.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2020 8:07 PM

Lisa Bonet - [italic]Angel Heart[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 4:38 PM

Every one of the young leads in Rules of Attraction.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 4:38 PM

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 4:40 PM

Anthony Perkins in Psycho. He could never shake that role and most of his latter films involved him playing some variation of Norman Bates if not Norman Bates himself like in all the sequels to the movie.

It seems sad, but then again, most actors would kill to have such a legendary role that's still being talked about 30 years after their death.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 4:42 PM

Heaven's Gate - Michael Cimino. Peeping Tom - Michael Powell.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 4:44 PM

Short Bus... Everyone.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 4:47 PM

R4 I don't think that's so true about Tony Perkins. He had several roles like Goodbye Again, after Psycho, which were about a younger man being in love with an older woman. He did a Broadway musical, Greenwillow, that flopped. Wasn't that after Psycho? I think his career went downhill with his decision to make films in Europe rather than Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 4:48 PM

r1...Angel Heart didnt ruin Lisa Bonets career...the fact she couldnt act did.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 4:54 PM

James Ransone by jerking off while choking himself on film in Ken Park now he just does random roles on tv or bit parts in movies(mostly horror).

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 4:56 PM

I hope Tom Hooper after Cats.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 4:58 PM

Andy Robinson was such a convincing psycho in Dirty Harry that he struggled to get hired afterwards. Even Eastwood wouldn't work with him again, Scorpio was so indelible.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 4:59 PM

Everyone involved with Showgirls not named Gina Gershon

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 5:02 PM

James Ransone had never been destined to be a superstar anyway. Yet he has been in many prestige TV series and was last year featuring in IT 2. 65 TVs & movies after Ken Park, I don't call it the end of the career though. Unlike the guy from Nine Songs, that movie killed his career.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 5:18 PM

F. Murray Abraham's career wasn't ruined by winning an Oscar in Amadeus but he didn't become a star, and apparently didn't endear himself to anyone. A later director called him an egomaniac. So it was kind of an actor getting more exposure only making it more obvious he was annoying.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2020 5:33 PM

I was going to say “Heaven’ Gate“, too.

Some diehards keep trying to get the world to re-evaluate it... but it’s a beautifully photographed, self important, bloated mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2020 5:42 PM

At Long Last Love more or less ruined the movie careers of both Peter Bogdanovich and Cybill Shepherd.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2020 5:43 PM

[quote]I was going to say “Heaven’ Gate“, too.

Some diehards keep trying to get the world to re-evaluate it... but it’s a beautifully photographed, self important, bloated mess.

Yes, I totally agree (I posted that). It's a mess, and so tedious to watch.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 5:45 PM

Ransone sounds kinda sounds like a bit of a douche so I'm sure that hasn't helped his career also is the guy that directed Ken Park a pervert cause he seems to have based his entire career on filming teenagers having sex.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2020 5:53 PM

Trog

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2020 6:45 PM

Ishtar ended the directing career of Elaine May.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2020 7:06 PM

There was a time when an actor or actress making a public fool of him/herself in a movie or TV appearance was enough to finish them. It was when critics and Hollywood columnists wielded tremendous power. As well as studio/network heads. There were only a few studios, and only three networks. They could finish you off if they wanted to. For any reason. Even if you insulted or disrespected them. Today everybody is a critic or an influencer, and honestly, nobody seems to lose their career any more. They always have fans, their work is everywhere, their music or movies are always playing on Instagram, YouTube, etc. Almost everyone makes a comeback or multiple comebacks.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2020 7:24 PM

[quote] At Long Last Love more or less ruined the movie careers of both Peter Bogdanovich and Cybill Shepherd.

This lady has a funny series of videos:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2020 8:16 PM

Exorcist II pretty much confirmed that Linda Blair would only do B horror movies and crappy sex comedies for the rest of her life. After The Exorcist, she was making a name for herself doing weighty dramatic TV movies where she played troubled teens and was pretty good in them. Exorcist II came along and screwed all of that up. Didn't help that she was probably already into drugs by that point, but the fact that the movie was so bad and she was terrible in it didn't help.

She was pretty good in Hell Night a few years later, but that's probably the last decent thing she was ever a part of. Kinda sad when you think about it.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2020 7:13 PM

Julie Andrews-Darling Lili. She had a few successful films later on but nothing to compare with her heyday. She is basically known today for just two films.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2020 7:45 PM

The flop reception of “Night of the Hunter” was Charles Laughton’s first, and last, opportunity to direct.

And though she won the Oscar for “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” Louise Fletcher’s career pretty much tanked afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2020 7:47 PM

R25, I've never understood the esteem in which Laughton is held as an actor. I find him terrible and hammy. I would wonder if it's a question of styles having changed, but apparently Daniel Day-Lewis thinks he's the greatest film actor of his time (according to Wikipedia).

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2020 8:00 PM

Halle Berry - Catwoman.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2020 8:02 PM

Pia Zadora in "Butterflies" - a great career cut untimely short.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2020 8:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!