Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Weather Thread. Skillet-Sized, Fluffy, Slow-Descending Snowflakes are Falling from the Sky

here in Northeast rural WI.

Imagine being inside a snow-globe and you'll get the picture.

What's the weather in your area?

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 4:03 PM

It’s OCTOBER and you’re getting snow?!

Oh, fuck that noise!

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 2:01 PM

Palm Springs, expected high this afternoon is 106. Pool time.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 2:02 PM

Yup, r1.

It looks exactly like the fake snow that falls at the end of the film "White Christmas".

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 2:03 PM

Sunny after rain in RI. Fall temp.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 2:03 PM

I love that look of sunny after rain.

106, r2? I'm all for it if someone enjoys that, but I have, as the poem goes, a "winter heart". I dislike the heat of Summer and love the dangerous beauty of Winter.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 2:06 PM

Eastern LA County here. It hit 100 yesterday. Today -- forecast is 90. Finally getting down into the 80s next week. I'm so tired of this heat.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 2:09 PM

Metropolitan Chicago is 46 degrees, overcast, with a Wind Warning and Fire Weather Watch in effect. The winds this afternoon may gust to 50mph/80kph which could produce and spread grassfires due to the very dry conditions here in Illinois this fall. We should hit the mid-60s for highs today, then only 40s tomorrow with rain mixed with some wet snow.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 2:12 PM

Wow. mid-60s r7?

I'm the OP and never cease being surprised at how so much different Chicago weather is from us, although, of course, being 220 or so miles north of you makes all the difference.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 2:16 PM

It's currently 60 degrees with sunshine and clear blue skies here in north Texas. The high today is expected to be in the mid-70s. If it were just a little cooler, it would be a perfect fall day.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 2:28 PM

Twin Cities, MN. We had the giant fluffy snow for awhile yesterday morning before it melted. It contrasted very prettily with the autumn leaves.

Today it is sunny and cool (40-50s F.)

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 2:39 PM

[quote] It contrasted very prettily with the autumn leaves.

Here, too, r10. The snow is slowing now and is moving on.

To each his or own, but I'd go crazy with boredom if I lived in a climate that, every single day was mid 70s and sunny. The four distinct weather seasons of my area are continual source of free beauty.

Yeah, January, February and March are a pain-in-the-neck, but I'll take them over a climate that supports fire-ants, killer bees , a variety of snakes that thrive in warm weather, crocodiles, etc.

Those killer bees that landed in Central America from Africa back in the 70s or 80s coveted our region, organized their garrisons to come here to pillage and plunder, but then, put 'er in reverse when they got a dose of mid 20s and upper teens.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 2:49 PM

Crisp and sunny here in DC, a perfect Fall day.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 3:04 PM

Yeah - I'm sick of Palm Springs heat. It's been 15 degrees above normal for like - 4 or 5 weeks?

Thank god it's going to 'cool down' to low 90's next week. It's been a hellish summer/fall with so many records broken. But we're about to come into 8 months of continuous glorious weather.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 3:08 PM

Austin is misty and around 60-65?

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2020 3:16 PM

Here in northern California, it's going to be 90+ degrees out again, with the hot north winds that mean maximum fire danger. It hasn't rained since last March or April, everything is dry and brown, and this winter is supposed to be dry so we're facing another drought year.

I ENVY YOU YOUR SNOWFLAKES. (Except when you have to drive.)

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2020 3:47 PM

[quote] (Except when you have to drive.)

No two ways about it, r15. I won't bother denying that winter driving on ice and in snowy conditions is dangerous.

As long as your tires are tread-worthy and you take it slow, with plenty of room between you and car in front of you, the danger is minimized, but, it's still there. The plow and salt trucks are on the road as early as 5:00am. And of course, there's always the jerk in the big pick-up or SUV who comes along, seemingly invulnerable, to speed past you.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2020 3:58 PM

Data mining thread. Don't feed it.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 4:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!