Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

100 Years From Now Will Bob Ross' Tacky Paintings Be Considered Fine Art?

And if the Antiques Roadshow is still on TV, will they be giving his works high valuations?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 25, 2020 11:45 PM

No.

But it will be interesting to find out if Bob Ross’s painting show launched any celebrated artists’ careers by engaging them in oil painting.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 10:02 AM

Their pretty. He's a good painter. I got drug to that MoMA in New York that was full of crap.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 10:09 AM

No, but he will still be a thing as long as those television show survive.

Dude made you feel better about the world.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 10:42 AM

No, but he will be admirer as The Godfather of ASMR. His appeal is his voice/mannerisms, not his paintings.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 10:54 AM

^admired

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 10:54 AM

Bob should have done some abstract work. They would have been interesting because he does a few things well and could have concentrated on those techniques, and not his his abominable sense of landscape.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 11:18 AM

Okay all you Bob Ross aficionados, your joy is now complete. PLUTO has just added the new Bob Ross channel #518. All Bob, all day, every day.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2020 11:30 PM

No. But, I get why Bob is beloved. Simpler times of simple pleasures - happiness and painting.

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2020 12:11 AM

I actually got inspired to oil paint from his shows. I found out there was a class that taught his technique. I love his work and style. I had an instructor who met him and said Bob was the same guy in person as you saw on the shows.

by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2020 2:07 AM

As a painter myself I've always thought the main problem with his artwork is that his color palette was usually loud and garish and gave his works a cartoonish appearance. I've seen a few of his canvasses where he had used a much more muted color palette and I thought they were quite nice. But then, he never had any aspirations that his work would some day hang in the Louvre, As a performer & teacher attempting to entertain and get people interested in painting he was quite brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 2:09 PM

That mountain in R1 looks like it's marinating in yellow mustard sauce surrounded by the green plastic grass they put in bento boxes.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 2:25 PM

**Sorry, OP (not R1). I was temporarily blinded.

by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2020 2:29 PM

They are the Dogs Playing Poker and Velvet Elvis of our times.

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2020 2:30 PM

Art snobs. Bob Ross inspired many to take up painting. Is it museum quality no, but he introduced painting to millions. Sad that we can't celebrate that. Better to fawn all over Jeff Koons Balloon Dog, sold for $58.4 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2020 2:44 PM

I don't need a lobotomy, but if I were to need one...

I might try gazing into one of his works, listening to his creepy fucking Mr. Rogers voice, or watching that ugly man. No, on second thought, straight to the electrodes.

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2020 2:53 PM

At least Bob Ross will never eclipse the true heinousness of the schlock that Thomas Kincaid turned-out.

by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2020 3:02 PM

He was a rip off of Bill Alexander

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2020 3:06 PM

The thing I see in them is that they are too perfect, like a computer spit them out. They are very lifeless and dull without any feeling, yet perfectly done.

by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2020 3:07 PM

R4 No one could get ASMR from someone so ugly.

by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2020 3:10 PM

My mother was an artist and I remember her saying that she didn't watch it after she saw that his show was just a particular set of techniques, over and over.

When I watched it a few times myself, I noticed that it he was not showing you how to paint something real, something in front of you. It was always imagined landscapes that leant themselves to the few techniques he was demonstrating.

But yes, he was quite relaxing, and I was amazed at those few techniques creating a landscape painting in, what, 20 minutes?

by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2020 3:29 PM

[quote[ He was a rip off of Bill Alexander

He was actually trained by Alexander and worked as a teacher for Alexander for a while before going out on his own. Ross isn't a rip off of anyone. Bill Alexander claimed to have invented the alla prima (wet on wet) painting technique, which couldn't be father from the truth. That technique has been used for centuries. Bob Ross always gave Alexander full credit for teaching him the technique and Alexander was so insanely jealous of Ross' success after he'd gone out on his own that he wasted no opportunity to disparage Ross saying that Ross had betrayed him and was copying him. Bill Alexander was a pathetic old man filled with envy.

by Anonymousreply 21October 25, 2020 3:31 PM

100 years from now, OP?

They already are.

by Anonymousreply 22October 25, 2020 3:39 PM

They look like Thomas Kinkaide w/o the sparkles.

by Anonymousreply 23October 25, 2020 3:43 PM

and, by coincidence, I see that Create TV has a Best of Joy of Painting marathon starting at noon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 25, 2020 3:43 PM

Bob Ross is OK I guess. Since my beloved Thomas Kincaide went home to Jesus I wonder if his “paintings of light“ have increased in value. The store in the local mall here closed up a long time ago and I have several around my house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 25, 2020 3:58 PM

OP's painting is just calling out for someone to paint a monster in the middle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 25, 2020 4:37 PM

They won't hold their value like a Kinkade.

by Anonymousreply 27October 25, 2020 4:45 PM

What are these 'techniques ' he teaches?

by Anonymousreply 28October 25, 2020 4:48 PM

What are these Kinkade works I see above priced at next to nothing? Some computerized transfer of a picture onto a canvas. No way those are actual oil paintings. Whatever they are, they're just a bit too precious for my taste. I'm sure whoever buys those things also buys a lot of Capodimonte figurines and spends an inordinate amount of time on QVC and HSN.

by Anonymousreply 29October 25, 2020 4:49 PM

[quote] and spends an inordinate amount of time on QVC and HSN.

Like that’s a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 30October 25, 2020 4:55 PM

R29- it clearly states it is a print. A Original Kinkade would be worth at least $20!

by Anonymousreply 31October 25, 2020 4:58 PM

I mean... they're not high art or anything, but I'd be happy to be able to produce paintings like that and just churn them out. There must be some way to apply the techniques artistically as well.

by Anonymousreply 32October 25, 2020 5:08 PM

The Bob Ross / Canalleto show at the Peggy Guggenheim in Venice was a revelation. I think Ross paintings are "buys" and "holds" now.

by Anonymousreply 33October 25, 2020 5:15 PM

WHAT TECHNIQUES?

by Anonymousreply 34October 25, 2020 5:30 PM

I will offer my humble opinion and say Ross's works won't be worth much a hundred years from now. There might be a niche market for originals, but his technique doesn't quite rise to the definition of fine art and never will. In fact, if you've ever been to a trunk show at your local Holiday Inn or similar venue, you'll see hundreds of similar paintings that are made in Chinese factories by "artists" who are trained to produce exact copies of landscapes by the truckload. Many are advertised as "sofa size," because they are wide enough to cover the living room wall above your average couch.

by Anonymousreply 35October 25, 2020 5:41 PM

No, it's schlock.

by Anonymousreply 36October 25, 2020 6:32 PM

This Banksy parody of a Monet sold at Sotheby's for nearly $10 million. Chances are Bansky didn't even paint it but had a studio assistant paint is, as many successful artists do. The difference between Bob Ross and Banksy is public perception.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 25, 2020 6:47 PM

His painting allowed ordinary people to understand the artistic process, the way the materials can be used to create ideas on canvas. Good for him.

Bonus points: he seemed a very kind and humane man. His voice was very soothing and reassuring.

by Anonymousreply 38October 25, 2020 7:21 PM

R37 That is a brilliant painting.

by Anonymousreply 39October 25, 2020 8:56 PM

R39, no it isn't, it's an easy parody and very low level gimmick. Been done a million times before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 25, 2020 9:17 PM

[quote] A Original Kinkade would be worth at least $20! 😁

by Anonymousreply 41October 25, 2020 9:43 PM

R40 the art market would indicate that you don't know shit.

by Anonymousreply 42October 25, 2020 9:51 PM

People will buy anything if marketed right.

by Anonymousreply 43October 25, 2020 10:19 PM

True.

by Anonymousreply 44October 25, 2020 11:45 PM

He never had the range!

by Anonymousreply 45October 25, 2020 11:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!