Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Pilot Episode of "BEWITCHED"

You're welcome xo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5310/19/2020

Too bad it’s colorized, instead of being in the original black & white.

by Anonymousreply 110/17/2020

For R1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210/17/2020

Thanks so much!

by Anonymousreply 310/17/2020

Love it! My partner was asking me what I was laughing at in bed. The dinner party scene was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 410/17/2020

Endora and Samantha were two of the best characters ever on TV.

by Anonymousreply 510/17/2020

The reason Bewitched holds up so well was its' perfect casting.

Like MTM, Bob Newhart and All in the Family, each character is very well written and they have great chemistry with each other.

EM was, by all accounts, was warm and open, The opposite of MTM.

Endora, Aunt Clara, Maurice , Gladys Kravitz and even Uncle Aurthur were great.

Love this show. Especially Serena.

by Anonymousreply 610/17/2020

Thanks so much OP. I’ve wanted to rewatch that pilot episode for years. My memory is that Elizabeth Montgomery was so sexy and funny in that episode. I can’t wait to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 710/17/2020

Thanks, OP. That was fun. It's so weird watching that, and seeing that weird "the husband is the master of the domain" type energy. It wasn't anything mean, just a sign of the times back then!

Related - if I was married to someone who could do real witchcraft, I'd encourage it heavily!

by Anonymousreply 810/17/2020

Elizabeth Montgomery was the most adorable woman ever! What a great show and a great cast. Just pure fun and warmth.

by Anonymousreply 910/17/2020

The fountain when they're in the park listening to the radio at 00:41 is the Friends fountain.

by Anonymousreply 1010/17/2020

I looove this show so much. But only with the first Darrin. Esp. the episode where he can only speak Italian. Haha.

by Anonymousreply 1110/17/2020

Did Darin Stephens and Larry Tate know Don Draper and Roger Sterling?

by Anonymousreply 1210/17/2020

The thing I like most about the the witches in the world of Bewitched is how they have different strength levels. Samantha is a powerful witch, which is genetic, but Endora is a super powerful witch, more powerful than Samantha. Endora is like a cat 5, Samantha a cat 3 or 4, and most witches are probably a cat 1 or just a tropical storm. In the pilot you can see how Samantha's spell is ineffective against Endora.

I assume Maurice and Endora are evenly matched in power or else one would have fried the other one by now. Aunt Clara is dangerous because even though her powers have waned considerably, being from a powerful family, her mixed-up spells still have a lot of energy.

by Anonymousreply 1310/17/2020

R13 You have thought about this a lot, haven't you?

by Anonymousreply 1410/17/2020

"Many have speculated through the years that Dick York's departure from the show had to do with either a dispute with the network or show executives or a clash with the cast, but nothing could be further from the truth. The actor loved his job so much he stuck it out far longer than he should have given the numerous health problems that plagued him on set.

A few years prior to production on the first season of Bewitched, Dick had suffered a debilitating and permanent back injury on the set of the film They Came to Cordura. The chronic pain from the injury made standing for long periods of time difficult and also caused the actor to become dependent on painkillers to get through the day.

"To provide some accommodation for Dick's pain, a slanted wall was built backstage for him to lean on between takes, which helped for a time, but midway through the third season, his pain worsened and would cause frequent shooting delays. Eventually, Dick was given more scenes where Darrin was either lying in bed or seated on the couch. Later in his run, Darrin was written out of episodes with the explanation that he was away on business or by focusing on Samantha visiting with her warlock kin.

"An illness during filming of the fifth season finally benched York for good. Despite being sick and feverish, York reported to work and, while filming a special effects scene on a scaffolding, Dick collapsed. While in the hospital recovering, he was visited by director William Asher asked if he wanted to quit, and York answered, "If it's all right with you, Billy," according to his own account in his final interview before his death in 1992.

"When the show returned for its sixth season, Darrin was portrayed by Dick Sargent. Bewitched only filmed two seasons with Sargent as Darrin before the show was canceled due to fallen ratings as well as star Elizabeth Montgomery's wish to move on."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1510/17/2020

Dick Sargent was family. There were rumors floating around that he died of AIDS, but he actually died of prostate cancer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1610/17/2020

Part of the reason I like Bewitched so much more than I Dream Of Jeannie is its wonderful supporting cast. Larry Tate, the Kravitz neighbors, Endora, Uncle Arthur, Aunt Clara, Darrin's mother, etc were great in small doses. IDOJ had a winner in Bill Daily's Major Healey, but not much else.

Bewitched was so much better in the early years. Recasting hurt (the awful Darrin and Gladys replacements!), but the biggest difference was the tone. The first few seasons had a lot of heart to them (remember when Darrin realized Samantha would stay young while he grew old?), while the later seasons were all about repeat plots and special effects.

by Anonymousreply 1710/17/2020

I liked Gladys 2.0 even more than 1.0. Same with Louise 2.0 vs. 1.0.

by Anonymousreply 1810/17/2020

Growing up I just assumed the show was set in LA. Along the lines of R12, I so wish Mad Men would’ve made a nod to the competitive ad men at McMann & Tate, & perhaps the dishy wife of Darren Stephens, who seemed to possess something extra that couldn’t be explained.

by Anonymousreply 1910/17/2020

R18, you have some interesting taste.

by Anonymousreply 2010/17/2020

I would totally go for a Bewitched-Mad Men crossover. Maybe Endora floating above Peggy's desk and giving her inspiration for Aquanet! Or Sam hosting a dinner party with Don and Betty Draper and Roger and Mona Sterling. Triple martinis all around? Even for Sam at 7 mos pregnant!

by Anonymousreply 2110/17/2020

[quote]the later seasons were all about repeat plots

Wasn't there just 2 or 3 plots used throughout the entire life of the show?

by Anonymousreply 2210/17/2020

No, R20, there were not. At least not the first few seasons. The last couple did get a bit repetitive.

Loved this show. R18, I preferred Gladys and Louise 1.0. And Darrin 1.0.

by Anonymousreply 2310/17/2020

Darrin was a jerk, but he had a soft spot for Aunt Clara.

by Anonymousreply 2410/17/2020

I always thought Darin 1.0 was kinda hot.

by Anonymousreply 2510/17/2020

The Louise Tate replacement was good (surprised to learn she was the bitch/victim in "Strangers On A Train"), but the second Gladys Kravitz was just shrill. Dick Sargent would've been okay as Samantha's gay, bitchy brother, but there was just NO romantic chemistry between them.

by Anonymousreply 2610/17/2020

[quote]No, [R20], there were not. At least not the first few seasons.

The plot was that magic or magical relatives caused a problem, Sam and Darren had to deal with the consequences and then find a way to fix the problem that the magic or relative had caused. There wasn't a lot of deviation.

by Anonymousreply 2710/17/2020

Sam had a great kitchen for 1960s!

by Anonymousreply 2810/17/2020

OP - great thread, thanks. Has anyone seen "Bell, Book an Candle", with Jimmy Stewart, Kim Novak and Jack Lemmon?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2910/17/2020

Thanks for posting! I loved watching this!

by Anonymousreply 3010/17/2020

Mad Men often referenced 60s pop culture. They never mentioned Bewitched. But I was always hoping that somewhere in season 5, (which took place in the mid-60s), there might have been a scene where Don Draper and Roger Sterling walked into some party, and some drunk would have introduced them as Darrin Stephens and Larry Tate.

by Anonymousreply 3110/17/2020

I could NEVER understand what Samantha saw in Darren. He wasn’t attractive, he was controlling, and he was just plain stupid. He never learned that he would never win against Endora. What did she see in him?

by Anonymousreply 3210/18/2020

Big mortal cock, R32

by Anonymousreply 3310/18/2020

I hated when 60s sitcoms tried to "get hip", like with Serena in Bewitched or Mike Brady's perm.

by Anonymousreply 3410/18/2020

marvelous mrs mail could take some tips from EM

by Anonymousreply 3510/18/2020

[quote]I assume Maurice and Endora are evenly matched in power or else one would have fried the other one by now. Aunt Clara is dangerous because even though her powers have waned considerably, being from a powerful family, her mixed-up spells still have a lot of energy.

In the episode where Maurice meets Darren, Maurice and Endora have a brief confrontation and when Maurice can't best her, Maurice remarks that Endora has gotten stronger and Endora says that Maurice has gotten older. This indicates that the witches get stronger with age up to a point and then decline. So eventually, Samantha would probably become as powerful as her parents.

by Anonymousreply 3610/18/2020

[quote]The Pilot Episode of "BEWITCHED"

There were no pilots in Bewitched, silly! You must be thinking of "I Dream of Jeannie."

by Anonymousreply 3710/18/2020

It’s funny how Bewitched was my favorite show when I was a child, but I couldn’t stand I Dream of Jeannie.

by Anonymousreply 3810/18/2020

Jeanie is too submissive and Hagman is controlling and treats her like shit but she is still in live with him. Theres a good reason not to like the show. Darrin stomping around was nothing compared to Maj Whatever his name was.

by Anonymousreply 3910/18/2020

Samantha was head of the Witches Council so she def was a most powerful witch! And her green council robe was the best!

by Anonymousreply 4010/18/2020

Hearing Darren boss around Samantha, and her accepting it, bothers me. He was a real prick to Endora too. A real person in his position would have accepted the benefits of his relationship and lived in luxury.

by Anonymousreply 4110/18/2020

There was a whole episode with "Cousin Henry," who was never seen before or since, where he played pranks in a department store while Samantha was trying to shop. Was that written for Paul Lynde and he was unavailable or something?

by Anonymousreply 4210/18/2020

Sadly they’ve geo blocked it in New Zealand.

by Anonymousreply 4310/18/2020

[quote]Mad Men often referenced 60s pop culture. They never mentioned Bewitched.

Harry Crane actually did make a reference to "Bewitched" in Season 5, Episode 10 - Christmas Waltz - set in the Fall of 1966

Paul Kinsey has become a Hare Krishna and approached Harry, who is head of TV advertising, about helping his shop a freelance script to the producers of "Star Trek".

Harry reads the script, which is predictably awful, and meet Paul to talk about it. Harry mentions that "Star Trek" is struggling in the ratings and may not get renewed. He says something like, "It's up against "Bewitched" - do you know how strong the ratings are for "Bewitched" - that show is a juggernaut."

But it was a kind of oblique reference, and they didn't make reference to Darrin working in the Advertising industry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4410/19/2020

Bewitched had more than one plot!

1) McMahon & Tate were trying to woo/keep a client and witchcraft would cause problems then Samantha fixed them.

2) Samantha's family vs Durwood

3) Witchcraft went kerflooey (Tabitha practiced "wish craft"; senile Aunt Clara; someone lost their powers) and it caused problems

4) Danger of mortals finding out about the Witch World

5) Historical figures/fiction characters entered the real world

6) They went to the real Salem because the set burned down and they needed to film out of town while they rebuilt it

7) Witch World Turmoil/Witches Council

Note: 2 through 5 would frequently intertwine with Plot 1

by Anonymousreply 4510/19/2020

I Dream of Jeanie was so boring. I half-heartedly watched it as a kid but I don't really remember specific episodes or any one thing that made it stand out for me other than Barbara Eden being charming and wearing cute outfits and her fantastic bottle. Larry Hagman wasn't likeable (he's only good as a villain) and the show was just dull.

by Anonymousreply 4610/19/2020

Ugh! They've removed the ending Screen Gems logo ('Dancing Sticks') and replaced it with that goddamned modern Sony logo. That ruins it for me.

I'm very OCD about such things. I've been known to remaster entire series sets for my own collection, just to put the correct ending logos back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4710/19/2020

R45, as R19 correctly noted, the spelling of the first-named, never seen (as I recall, at least), ad partner was indeed McMann.

by Anonymousreply 4810/19/2020

I wasn't crazy about Bewitched as a kid, but I watched it because I thought Samantha was hot. I was quite the precocious lesbian!

by Anonymousreply 4910/19/2020

Don't post illegalities to Datalounge. Only show link to items you own.

by Anonymousreply 5010/19/2020

In another Mad Men episode Harry Crane mentions Bill Asher. And says he probably will try to cast Don. I have no idea what episode. Maybe right before Don and Pete Campbell go to California.

by Anonymousreply 5110/19/2020

R48 I don't really care.

by Anonymousreply 5210/19/2020

I was in love with the beautiful Elizabeth Montgomery and her little house with its mid 60s decor. I wanted to be her but without Durwood. I would have turned into a rock and gone down on any of the numerous warlocks that were always trying to romance her away to the south of France of the bullfights in Spain.

by Anonymousreply 5310/19/2020
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!