Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will Nicole Wallace go back to being a republican after the election?

Isn't she only a democrat because she hates Trump?

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2020 6:31 AM

I am sad that my uneasy alliances with people like Nicole, Steve Schmidt, and the Lincoln Project will be over soon.

I'd like to think Nicole will stay put until they have someone like McCain again, so probably never.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 6:21 AM

She probably considers herself independent.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 6:21 AM

Nope

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 6:21 AM

The GOP they left is dead.

What's left will never forgive them.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 6:22 AM

The GOP they left is BRAIN dead.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 6:28 AM

I actually had the opportunity to read her mind yesterday, and I can tell you the answer is no.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 6:32 AM

She's a mercenary. She was registered as a Republican because she could make money working for Bush and McCain. After that, like the Lincoln people, she found an opportunity to make money from the left and she took it. She says whatever the people who put up the cash want her to say. Who knows what principals she may have, if any.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 6:34 AM

If you watch her show, she holds very little back (although she voices it eloquently) about her disdain for the current state of the Repug party. Despite voicing her affection for the late McCain (and not so much for W), I can't imagine her ever going back at this point. Wallace has rightly burned bridges and outed the hypocrisy of basically every big wig in the GOP and conversely cultivated relationships with favorites in our party. Selfishly, I hope that the answer is that she would never go back as she as become one of my favorite daily voices on politics.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 6:55 AM

I genuinely do not mind a Republican party made up of people like Steele, Schmidt, Wilson, etc. There's nothing wrong with it and we can disagree on tax reform and how to pay for infrastructure and welfare reform. Where it started to go wrong is when they embraced the religious bullshit, the Neocon bullshit and the racist/bigoted bullshit.

The Republican party will continue to lose and frankly, is missing a huge opportunity to appeal to groups of immigrants who have higher educations and higher incomes than the average white, working class voter who only has their stupid epidermis to justify their dumb voting. Their embrace of racism and bigotry to appeal to low-life individuals is why their party will go extinct.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 7:04 AM

We could do with a conservative party that advocates for fiscal responsibity. I think it would be quite popular. That's not what the Republicans are, or what they have been for the past 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 7:15 AM

It seems on every show she mentions how she worked for Bush. I wish she would stop the bragging as if anyone watching MSNBC cares.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 7:18 AM

I never forgave her for the shit she pulled on Goren.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 7:20 AM

All of this r9.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 7:30 AM

R9? The religious shit started in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2020 8:04 AM

r11 I watch her for that reason. She has an inside track on how the WH works, and thus, I give her more credibility than the "commentators" who try to say otherwise. I think she does a good job at highlighting how Trump surrounds himself with bad people, who can be equally as complicit as him.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2020 8:05 AM

I still don't trust people like Schmidt and Wallace. While the last few years were particularly appalling, the republican party has been absolutely vile for decades now. The dehumanization of the poor, non straight and non white has been a key feature of the right for ages, not a recent aberration. I think that people like Schmidt and Wallace are just bright enough to realize what a sinking ship looks like. Kind of like how they eagerly pushed loony Palin for VP and then portrayed themselves as helpless and hapless bystanders when things went south. They're both very manipulative. And while it is taboo to mention it among McCains slobbering media lapdogs, he was a truly disgusting individual.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2020 8:14 AM

Nope because now the right have used Trump to infect the Dems, after Biden expect them to push for a more "conservative" choice. The right will own both the Democrats the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 8:31 AM

I would love to know what basic principles these people, like the Lincoln Project, disagree with Democrats on? Health care? Climate change? The income gap?

I mean anyone with a brain can see the wheels have completely come off American conservatism. So what are their fundamental disagreements? Do they think tax cuts for the rich and further compression of wealth is working?

I think there’s an interesting conversation to be had from the centre with these alliances but it has to be a new brand of politics. Conservatism has been run into the ground and any attempt to revive it is lost.

What are they going to do? Demonise brown people to further old immigration policies?

When you’re starting a new political party, you can’t leave anyone out. A party of divisiveness - for you not “them” - isn’t going to work. They have to forget the ideology bullshit that got them into this mess and focus on policy. And as any new party starts in opposition, they have to demonstrate that they can productively oppose policies to strengthen American governance for all Americans - otherwise, they’re just rewinding the tape a bit. The Republican quiet part has been said out loud for the last decade or so, at least. They can’t go back to just saying that part amongst themselves and somehow appeal to the wider electorate.

They have the sane problem as the Republican Party - a shrinking electorate. Only their problems are multiple and complex. They’re not going to remake themselves overnight and can’t expect the same support as a singular entity as they’ve received for ousting Trump. So it will take time - as it does in the States, from local, state and federal levels. They’re not going to be able to just start at the top.

Plus, they’re going to have to deal with the remnants of the Republican Party which for at least the last 12 years has just been a splinter group that huddled under the same umbrella to amass power but has been utterly dysfunctional in government - even when they had both houses in Congress they usually didn’t have the votes to pass anything, except tax cuts for the rich.

They do not have a base. They’ve passed off everyone else. Post Trump’s re-election defeat his supporters are going to go to QANON or whatever, certainly not towards the centre of American politics. There will be Republicans like Sasse trying to reclaim the party, separate from them. And even if they manage to defeat their old party they still won’t have enough of a majority to win elections because they’ll be splitting the vote on the right - American elections are decided by 3 - 4 % of the electorate which they’ll never come close to getting as long as the party of Trump and whatever else is still twitching. Conservatism is going to be in the wilderness for a long, long time. Whatever emerges from it isn’t going to ascend overnight.

And people - all Americans - need to agree on the basics of health care, progressive tax reform, climate change, education, etc. There’s an opportunity to assert a baseline of American governmental policy for a century and that surely needs to happen to bring the country together. It’s been 3 decades the the Republicans have been fucking around with health care - ENOUGH. This country needs to move forward.

There is certainly an interesting conversation to be had with these folks in the centre and rather than coming out against Biden - I mean, how can they, they’ve supported him - they need to participate meaningfully in creating that baseline from which this country will never sink below again.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2020 8:46 AM

But if you listen to The New Abnormal podcast, there’s probably a reason why Rick Wilson sits out most of the interviews that Molly Jong-Fast has with mostly liberal politicians - and I suspect it’s because he doesn’t agree with them. I would like to buy into this collegiate political fantasy as much as much as anyone else but, the reality is, The Lincoln Project is just demonising Trump as much as they did any other political opposition in the last two/three decades, he just makes their job much easier. The Politics of Demonisation may be all they’re capable of and, if that is the case, they will soon be as out of step with American politics as much as the rest of the Republican Party. They don’t acknowledge enough that they laid the groundwork for this mess that we’re in and this may be as useful as they get. We need to know more about who all of these people are, and to his credit Steve Schmidt has started to reveal himself and what motivated him previously - a lot of these people were serving without actually being at the helm of Republican administrations. But they have a lot of work to do before assuming a 2nd party status in American politics and it starts with establishing themselves as a 3rd party - which everyone knows isn’t easy as it’s just a fringe.

But perhaps even more importantly, Americans need to understand how their government actually works - either didactically or through civic education - and STOP approaching every fucking election like it’s a popularity contest! It isn’t! And I see nonsense like this up thread - “oh, these guys seem nice.” That’s what got us into this mess! And we all bear just as much responsibility for that, for approaching it that way.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2020 8:47 AM

[quote]Who knows what principals she may have, if any.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2020 12:19 PM

Will Nicole Wallace go back to being a republican after the election?

yes

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2020 12:22 PM

People need to read and re-read R1. As soon as the election is over, Nicolle, Steve Schmidt, Michael Steele, George Will, Bill Kristol and all the rest of them are going right back on my shitlist.

Remember: The enemy of your enemy is not your friend. As soon as the election is over, and if Biden wins, all that liberal money donated to The Lincoln Project will go to invalidate laws and policies they disagree with. Give $100 to them to make entertaining videos today, have a portion of it going toward comservative PACs tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2020 12:48 PM

Definitely don't trust any of these never Trumpers. They are all people who loved the Bush presidency.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2020 1:13 PM

Didn't she get a divorce? Wikipedia doesn't list it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2020 8:04 PM

Wouldn't it depend where the post-Trump party goes?

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2020 8:06 PM

I don't think so, but we can say goodbye to the Lincoln Project in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2020 8:06 PM

I think the former Repugs will go back to their part depending on who emerges as the new Repug leader. I hope I'm not being naive, but I hope they remain Biden supporters for his first term or at least through the 2022 midterm elections. It's going to take a long time to dig us out of this Trump nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2020 10:27 PM

I think The Lincoln Project will be around for a while. The party is just going to go further right.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2020 5:48 AM

The big lie of the Republican party is that fiscal conservatism has something in common with social conservatism. The fiscal conservatists can't win without the social conservatists. There just aren't enough of them. But social conservatists are the religious bigots and racists that are rotting the Republican party from within. Wallace, Schmidt and Wilson were fine with them when they were hidden in the shadows. They told themselves they were not part of that. But Trump showed them that in fact they were the Republicans' core constituency. There is no Republican party without them.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2020 6:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!