Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends,

Without comment, I present this 1875 built second empire style home in New Brunswick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2020 2:05 AM

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 5:18 AM

Well, you said without comment, OP. P

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 5:18 AM

Haunted!

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 5:19 AM

It'd make a great DL clubhouse, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 5:22 AM

Running a bed and breakfast! What a lark.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 5:37 AM

If you have a big family, it's perfect. A room for everyone!

Otherwise, it's out-dated and hideously decorated!

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 5:42 AM

There are TONS of extremely beautiful old houses for sale in NB and NS. A few years ago there was one on the market in Amherst, mid-late 1800s, had an attic 'room' that could have been a ballroom/dance studio, one of the most beautiful houses I've ever seen. $130k (of course it was falling apart).

Oh and R6 they're all outdated and hideously decorated lol. The bones can be perfection, tho.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 5:43 AM

New Brunswick is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 5:46 AM

Saw the garage. And the stove. Oof.

Needs heaps of TLC.

Would likely need $750,000- 1 mill worth of renovations/updates.

Given the large size (11 beds/bath), unless using it for a business or a verrry large family, seems it would be impractical for a smaller number of persons.

Like the idea of NB or NS and breathing life into historical places though....

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 5:49 AM

[quote] New Brunswick is horrible. —-grew up there

How so, R8.

Always heard it was nice whilst living in Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 5:51 AM

I bet it smells like old people

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 5:55 AM

The other New Brunswick.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 6:08 AM

NS and NB are economically (and socially, unless you're a local) dead. Hence the cheap housing. They're both also extremely beautiful in landscape terms and some of those house are legit insane. Relics of some real old-timey wealth out there.

I love the idea too, R9. Let me see if I can find that one in Amherst.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 7:31 AM

This was the house in Amherst (link goes to Google street view, I can't find the listing - it either sold or was taken off the market, honestly it would have taken upwards of a million, imo, to get it up to standard, and again was for sale for under 150k (Canadian!).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2020 7:36 AM

Current listing in the same neighbourhood. Oh God, that ceiling height. *retires to fainting couch*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2020 7:38 AM

Last one. The dining room, the entranceway....the upper landing...

"Situated on the Nova Scotia/New Brunswick border, this sandstone residence is one of the last on the East Coast. Originally commissioned as a wedding gift and known as Beau Séjour (Beautiful Home)."

This one is also on almost an acre of land.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2020 7:42 AM

Naïve question, but why are there so many stupendous homes for sale there? Uncertain economic times?

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 8:02 AM

I’ve got dibs on the bathroom where you can step directly from the shower into the toilet. So practical.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2020 8:20 AM

I've never particularly cared for this style, or most asymmetrical Victorian styles. It looks confused, and the vertical lines at the top make me feel slightly dizzy looking at the different rooflines. Also far too big; regardless of being able to afford it, I could never justify living so large.

I'm already contending with an inefficient small Victorian coach house. I want practicality and energy efficiency the older I become.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2020 9:26 AM

Wow, R16, I love that one.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2020 1:09 PM

It'd kill them to do a little weeding around the garage?

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2020 1:12 PM

All the floors are in hideous condition. The roof line is an abomination.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2020 1:13 PM

Nice blocks in/near high crime areas/bad public schools. Lots of Rutgers students, transient types. My first gay bar Manny's Den. RIP

In New Jersey, two years before Stonewall, three bars — Murphy’s Tavern in Newark, Val’s Bar in Atlantic City, and Manny’s Den in New Brunswick — went to court to fight for their right to serve all adults, regardless of the

Read More: Years before Stonewall, Jersey's gay bars fought the law and won.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2020 1:21 PM

I like the Dutch Colonial house to the right of this house

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2020 1:46 PM

R23, the house is in CANADA, you illiterate dunce.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2020 1:51 PM

R17 It's partly a function of those houses I posted being in Amherst (Nova Scotia) which was historically a very prosperous town, known for its fine houses and buildings. From Wikipedia:

"During the 19th century, Amherst became an important regional centre for shipbuilding and other services to outlying communities.

During the late 19th century, local industrialists and entrepreneurs constructed many fine Victorian and Edwardian homes along Victoria Street East, leading toward the farming hamlet of East Amherst. Many notable residents have lived in this district, including Tupper, Senator Thomas R. Black, the Barker Family, the Lamy Family, the Pugsley Family and Mary (Molly) Simmons Critchley."

and:

"Many of the fine old buildings along Victoria Street are considered industrial artifacts because they were constructed during a period of tremendous industry growth. Local contractors employed local craftsmen, who used local materials. Notice the emphasis on sandstone and brick, both locally produced and delightful detail which reflects the skilled craftsmanship prevalent in the 19th century."

But you can find houses like this scattered all over the Maritimes. The East Coast is, as I posted last night, economically dead. Like I'm not even sure if I can describe to an American how dead it is. All the young people are leaving, populations are shrinking, there is no opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2020 9:49 PM

You're correct, R26, (aside from Halifax, which is booming), but, I've heard that more Canadians are retiring out east due to the insane costs of Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2020 10:00 PM

I grew up in Victoria R27. Currently very seriously considering moving to NS (Halifax or close by). Serious enough that I'm in contact with a realtor. My work is (and always has been, this isn't Covid-related) completely mobile, all I need is an internet connection. I don't foresee being able to afford anything decent in Victoria or that area anytime soon and NS looks beautiful. Ever so slightly worried about insular locals but hey, I'm from the Island and Van Islanders do insular with the best of 'em. :)

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2020 5:59 AM

[R26] Thanks very much - it's analogous here in America to some rural and even urban areas where industry left or became obsolete & towns deteriorated for lack of opportunity, jobs, and tastes in culture and entertainment changed.

I was in upper Michigan and in an old mining town that faded long ago was a huge old brick used-to-be school building, boarded up. The lower foundation and rising up about 4 feet was composed of stones set into mortar, and up close you could see the mortar between stones had been finished by hand - no wider than a finger's width between stones - and putting my finger to the mortar it fit right in & it was obvious the mason had smoothed the mortar with his fingers. So sad to see craft such as this, as the wood-turned masterpieces in the homes shown, has gone by the wayside for all except the filthiest rich. The building I saw was a school, a public school, built so lovingly.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2020 10:28 AM

It's strange what we value, R29. I mean the collective we. As you mention, some of the craftsmanship and work sitting in some of these very cheap or even abandoned buildings is of such quality you would have difficulty finding someone even capable of it these days (without costing a bomb, anyway).

I often look at photos of houses belonging to rich people and it's almost like square footage/number of bathrooms>everything else. These hideous McMansions. I cannot imagine having millions to blow on housing and living in one of those monstrosities.

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2020 1:57 AM

My great grandfather bought a middle class house in Fairfield CT - 4 up, 4 down, basement, and freestanding garage/workshop, nice garden, probably constructed in the teens. I always marveled at the workmanship all over that place. In every way, everything was impeccable. The iron work, stone work, wood work, plaster work. Just some average middle class place.

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2020 2:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!