Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joni Ernst Bombs Crucial Soybean Question in What Mayor Pete Calls "Most Midwestern Debate Moment Ever"

Democrat Greenfield nails her answer. Ernst maunders and meanders and falls victim to the passive-agression of the Iowan moderators. But what the heck—you're welcome!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133October 24, 2020 9:54 AM

She bombed so HARD on that...OMG embarassing. She should really resign and recede from public eye! Do you think her Farmer constituents have any respect for her after that? Very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 11:26 PM

Mayor Pete's response.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 12:25 AM

they're all falling apart, and so many of them will lose.

we are happy with this.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 12:37 AM

At least they didn't ask her how many beans make 5.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 12:42 AM

It sounds like she got the question about corn wrong too. (Yes, I know she wasn't the one asked about corn) So, wouldn't that be two big exports she knew shit about?

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 12:53 AM

Are you British, R4? I had to google your reference.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 12:54 AM

Gotcha!

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 1:38 AM

Typical republican response - empty air

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 1:41 AM

[quote]It sounds like she got the question about corn wrong too. (Yes, I know she wasn't the one asked about corn)

Was her response "Corn? When did I eat corn?"

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 2:50 AM

This was painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 3:00 AM

Joni is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 3:05 AM

Joni looks like a witch

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 3:08 AM

That was an example of those rare instances in which my dick shrinks up into my body like a turtle from the shared embarrassment I felt for Joni while watching that.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 3:09 AM

"Maybe I'm not hearing" LOL

A touch of Amy Klobuchar & Tom Steyer not knowing the name of the the President of Mexico earlier this year.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2020 3:14 AM

She's so robotic and Stepford-esque it frightens me. Those gleaming white chompers, that vacant stare. Republicans are fucking freaks.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2020 3:19 AM

As if she weren't embarrassing enough for Iowa, we are also plagued with neo-Nazi Steve Smith and a farmer who is long, long over-due returning to his plow, Chuck Grassley.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2020 3:55 AM

After getting her corn answer totally wrong- off by only 100%, Joni decides to remind us what a fucking cunt she is by lying about Greenfield's correct answer! What a stupid whore!

Once she bombs out of the Senate, the title of "Dumbest Senator" will shift to either Marsha Blackburn, or Ron Johnson, two complete morons.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 4:12 AM

I love how she made herself look like even more of a smug, stupid cunt than she already was.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2020 4:47 AM

R6 no, just an Anglophile.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2020 5:22 AM

She should take those bread bags off her feet, and pull them down on her head.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2020 5:42 AM

Midwesterners: all the ignorance of Southerners, with none of the charm or wit.

In short, they are lumpen, rude, charmless dolts.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2020 5:50 AM

Love how she claims she didn't hear correctly.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2020 5:52 AM

Hopefully this is the last nail in her coffin

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2020 6:12 AM

That had me laughing! The moderator is a magnificent example of killer Midwestern “niceness”. Also, Ernst really is dumb as a post.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2020 6:38 AM

Did any listener pay attention to what she was rambling about instead of answering the question? I was just distracted by waiting for an answer.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2020 12:26 PM

Isn't she a pig farmer?

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2020 12:28 PM

That voice, talk about grating.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2020 12:32 PM

She bombed back when she said the wore bread bags over her shoes on a snowy day. The bags go over socks, otherwise they fall apart like a Dynel wig

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2020 1:02 PM

I love the "Maybe I'm not hearing," a perfect summation of the Republican Party.

They're deaf to their constituents on so many levels.

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2020 1:08 PM

[quote] She bombed back when she said the wore bread bags over her shoes on a snowy day. The bags go over socks, otherwise they fall apart like a Dynel wig

My grandma actually did put bread bags over our shoes when I would visit her Iowa farm. I still hate Joni though.

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2020 1:30 PM

Thanks OP. Nasty nasty stupid lying cunt. Bad hombre!

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2020 1:38 PM

Does she still saunter around her house naked sans wig?

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2020 1:54 PM

Pix please, R32.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2020 2:03 PM

If you find the longer one, she and her grating voice meandered for 2 minutes about trade and Mexico and China and how great Trump has been to Iowa farmers. Which is why the moderator told her that she didnt answer the question. She is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2020 2:16 PM

WTF was that weird pageant smile? It's so laughable that we're told middle America doesn't live in a bubble when they fall for that fake shit. That would not go over well on the "elitist" coasts

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2020 3:23 PM

[quote]After getting her corn answer totally wrong- off by only 100%, Joni decides to remind us what a fucking cunt she is by lying about Greenfield's correct answer! What a stupid whore!

THIS is what made her a cunt. Her opponent got it right to the penny and this idiot tried to take her opponent down with her. I also love that I saw a couple of idiots on Twitter trying to claim she thought he meant corn. IDIOT, even if her sound was off, she was still way wrong on whatever commodity he mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2020 3:29 PM

Any Iowa residents here? What's the local opinion about this?

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2020 3:37 PM

[quote]Once she bombs out of the Senate, the title of "Dumbest Senator" will shift to either Marsha Blackburn, or Ron Johnson, two complete morons.

LOL. I was just about to ask whether Joni or Marsha is considered the dumbest Republican Senator?

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2020 3:43 PM

R30, Iowa did it wrong. You'd just tear the bags or slip on the snow. Moronic

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2020 4:03 PM

Mortally wounded her campaign.

They'll be replaying this on a constant cycle until Nov 3rd.

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2020 4:09 PM

Without her Senate job, how will Joni afford those plastic bags around her shoes when it snows???

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2020 4:17 PM

There was a time in history when Republicans prided themselves in their competency. Evidently this is no longer the case, as they don't know the price of a soybean, are incapable of pronouncing the name of a Senatorial colleague they have worked with for years, etc, etc.

Republican leaders are guiding their party to a steep edge for a bungee jump relying on a cord manufactured by the Trump Organization. Splat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2020 4:19 PM

PHONY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2020 4:20 PM

I don’t remember Pete being so bitchy before. He’s always been the cerebral candidate. Intelligent, pragmatic, not relying on cheap shots but on that charming intellect of his which he’s typically used with appropriate but razor-like precision. But lately, he definitely seems to have become more of a piranha, which is to say he’s become more of a typical politician. The biting Fox News appearances where he’s wallowing in the gutters all the rest of them do, the aggressive Twitter rants etc. Just not the guys I became accustomed to.

I liked the consensus-building Pete better. He was a a total role model not just for gay men but for Democrats. It’s like he’s been infected with whatever bitter cunt disease afflicts Amy Klobuchar.

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2020 4:25 PM

[quote]are incapable of pronouncing the name of a Senatorial colleague they have worked with for years

If you're referring to Perdue-Harris, that white trash hick did it on purpose, because apparently, being proudly ignorant and provincial plays well to "real 'muricans"

I love that the white conservative imbeciles in this country think we could survive with their idiocy at the helm in a global economy where science and education are non-negotiable.

by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2020 4:27 PM

R44 - tell us what you really think, and don't hold back to be polite and build consensus or anything...

by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2020 4:29 PM

..so what does all this have to do with the price of tea in China?

by Anonymousreply 47October 17, 2020 4:32 PM

[quote] But what the heck—you're welcome!

You mean “what the peck?”

by Anonymousreply 48October 17, 2020 4:34 PM

if the trade deals are so successful why the need for the huge welfare checks for farmers?

by Anonymousreply 49October 17, 2020 4:34 PM

[quote]There was a time in history when Republicans prided themselves in their competency.

For a long time now they've been winning with cosmetic politicians who can deliver a sound bite and sound authentic on tv, but are just creations of money and image-making. Maybe now that Democrats are pushing back on this it's all crumbling.

R48, I love you a bushel and a peck!

by Anonymousreply 50October 17, 2020 4:37 PM

It’s almost Halloween...maybe “Pageant Joni” was thinking of candy corn and jellybeans.

by Anonymousreply 51October 17, 2020 4:43 PM

R9 No, she gave a price of $5.xx, but I'm pretty sure that price was wrong because it's no what her challenger said. (The corn question was her challenger's question.)

by Anonymousreply 52October 17, 2020 4:58 PM

Joni Ernst is the Iowa version of Chirlaine McCray DeBlasio. Unqualified and corrupt. So glad Mrs. D. decided not to run for Brooklyn Borough Pres.

by Anonymousreply 53October 17, 2020 5:09 PM

[quote] So glad Mrs. D. decided not to run for Brooklyn Borough Pres.

Wait, what? When did this happen? She's lucky we can't literally throw her family out of the city. I hate her and her fucking husband as much as I hate Trump. She's hated. She thought she could run for anything?

by Anonymousreply 54October 17, 2020 5:29 PM

Who is Joni Ernst...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 17, 2020 5:41 PM

I know it had been said but I can’t with those wigs! They are so distracting!

by Anonymousreply 56October 17, 2020 5:50 PM

I can't decide whether that cunty "and I don't think Miss Greenfield answered either" closing remark, paired with a pained Cheshire Cat grin of incompetence, is typical GOP Karen Frau-ness or whether Ms. Ersnt had a career in real estate or HR before running for senate.

by Anonymousreply 57October 17, 2020 5:52 PM

The bitch is going down in flames.

Greenfield is impressive.

by Anonymousreply 58October 17, 2020 6:04 PM

Please donate if you can!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 17, 2020 6:07 PM

r44 you are an example of why Democrats lose.

Pete was hardly "down in the gutter" with them - he's on a right wing network - they are trying to trip him up and are not asking him questions in good faith. His responses are appropriate for the medium and the time and place.

by Anonymousreply 60October 17, 2020 6:13 PM

Pete is fighting against rabid dogs, I don't think he can be clean and civil with them though. Michelle Obama is dead wrong on this issue, dead wrong.

by Anonymousreply 61October 17, 2020 6:14 PM

R60, R44 is a Republican troll.

She’s basically saying it’s half as hard ($5 vs. $10) for (soybean) farmers to break even than it actually is — she has no idea how rough it is for farmers in Iowa basically, and didn’t bother to find out.

by Anonymousreply 62October 17, 2020 6:19 PM

r61 Michelle Obama said that in 2016. I doubt she would still say it today!

by Anonymousreply 63October 17, 2020 6:24 PM

r62 ah, I see!

by Anonymousreply 64October 17, 2020 6:24 PM

Did you see the comment attached to OP's link that even though Joni doesn't know the price of corn or beans, she surely knows the price of polyester wigs at Dollar Tree? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 65October 17, 2020 6:43 PM

Why does Joni wear a wig? Did her hair fall out?

by Anonymousreply 66October 17, 2020 6:46 PM

Will Joni be reduced to tying her polyester wigs to her shoes to walk in the snow?

by Anonymousreply 67October 17, 2020 6:46 PM

Not sure why Joni wears a wig, but here's a righteous response someone named "John" gave five years ago to the same question:

[quote]What difference does it make? Joni is a decent, hard working, America loving patriot who fought for her Country. Deal with it you pathetic morons who have had everything you've ever needed or wanted spoon fed to you by your mommies. You couldn't shine Joni's shoes!!! Deal with that!!!!

Sure, John.

by Anonymousreply 68October 17, 2020 7:02 PM

[quote]Why does Joni wear a wig? Did her hair fall out?

She probably pissed off the only gay hairdresser in her town; he retaliated by giving her a bad perm.

by Anonymousreply 69October 17, 2020 7:16 PM

Damn, not only did she bomb the question, she acted like she wasn't even listening. Although she totally was, she just couldn't answer the question so she answered one she chose. But she looked extra ridiculous because it seemed more like she was cribbing off her opponent's test paper.

by Anonymousreply 70October 17, 2020 7:19 PM

Joni Ernst is the one that called a reporter a liberal hack right?

by Anonymousreply 71October 17, 2020 7:23 PM

[quote] Joni Ernst is the one that called a reporter a liberal hack right?

No, R71, that was Arizona’s Martha McSally.*

The cruelty and demeaning way in which McSally retorted to CNN’s Manu Raju, “I’m not speaking to you. You’re a liberal hack!”, was unforgettable.

I observed it live and was as shocked then as I remain today for a Senator to speak to a regarded member of the press who asked a reasonable question in regards to Trump.

Of course, we’ve seen things considerably devolve under the Trump admin, but that does not mean they are forgotten.

McSally has been a Trump toady since she was appointed to fill a position by Governor Doug Ducey. Note she has never been elected by her populace.

*Up for re-election, in a recent debate with her opponent, Mark Kelly, she was asked by a slick moderator of her defense of Trump. She hedged on an acknowledgement of this...... flailing in a similar manner as Joni Ernst and her soybeans——>corn deception.

While the internet has been scrubbed of McSally’s liberal hack comment, the photo below shows the moment it occurred.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 17, 2020 7:46 PM

[quote]Michelle Obama is dead wrong on this issue, dead wrong.

Because to become who she did, she had to take all of the shit that comes with being both black and female. If she ever spoke back, "angry black woman" would've been used a lot. That's why Trump can be a disgusting pile of shit and the conservative trash swoon. It's viewed as "alpha."

by Anonymousreply 73October 17, 2020 7:47 PM

r72 - And neither she nor Ernst made a comment about the Russian bounties...

by Anonymousreply 74October 17, 2020 7:53 PM

I think Pete is doing a great job. He has been on Fox 3x and he surgically castrated the interviewers in a very polite manner.

by Anonymousreply 75October 17, 2020 8:01 PM

[quote] [R72] - And neither she nor Ernst made a comment about the Russian bounties...

That’s an interesting point, R74. I believe you may be correct.

Though, since neither are my senators and since both ladies push policies and politics I find personally repulsive, I am not up-to-date on every happening of Ernst and McSally.

Would be appreciative if someone from Iowa or Arizona or who follows the gals super closely to weigh in on this subject?

by Anonymousreply 76October 17, 2020 8:04 PM

r72 - "While the internet has been scrubbed of McSally’s liberal hack comment, the photo below shows the moment it occurred."

I can't find the Now This' Who is Martha McSally? that used to be on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 77October 17, 2020 8:06 PM

Stupid bitch, when you don't know the price of soybeans in Iowa you answer:

No I do not currently know the price of soybeans, I have been too busy working for all the people of Iowa trying to get them the best legislation possible for Iowa, to keep up on the ever changing price.

by Anonymousreply 78October 17, 2020 8:17 PM

[quote] I think Pete is doing a great job. He has been on Fox 3x and he surgically castrated the interviewers in a very polite manner.

To Pete’s credit, I believe he has found his calling. Though not being a fan of his before his Fox appearances, giving credit where credit is due.

If Dems could cultivate bright individuals like Pete who can relate - let’s face it - to Fox World whilst actually, filleting them to the bone, then they could display Fox World for what it is: an imbecilic zombie cult....which has sprung Medusa heads in the Trump Era.

The Pete-Midwesterny-Folksy-Aw-Shucks persona serves him in this setting. Then he brings out his intellectual (and likely corporate donor/DNC) guns to shoot down imbecilic Trumpists.

This is his metier.

by Anonymousreply 79October 17, 2020 8:17 PM

Lauren Caitlin Upton, Miss Teen South Carolina 2007, invites Joni to join her in "the Iraq," where they can discuss how "some people don't have maps" (and soybean prices.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 17, 2020 9:00 PM

Can someone please volunteer to fuck Joni because she looks like she needs it bad

by Anonymousreply 81October 17, 2020 9:03 PM

[quote]he surgically castrated the interviewers

Hey, that's my job!

by Anonymousreply 82October 17, 2020 10:02 PM

[quote]I liked the consensus-building Pete better. He was a a total role model not just for gay men but for Democrats. It’s like he’s been infected with whatever bitter cunt disease afflicts Amy Klobuchar.

Amy Klobuchar is a very effective Senator. Who really cares if she's a bitter cunt? You would be too if you had to deal with the likes of Mitch McConnell, Lindsay Graham, and Joni Ernst on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 83October 17, 2020 11:18 PM

[quote]McSally has been a Trump toady since she was appointed to fill a position by Governor Doug Ducey. Note she has never been elected by her populace.

McSally is a real nasty piece of work. And it's true, she was not elected to her Senate seat and has no business being there. She needs to be tossed out in a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 84October 17, 2020 11:21 PM

[quote]She’s basically saying it’s half as hard ($5 vs. $10) for (soybean) farmers to break even than it actually is — she has no idea how rough it is for farmers in Iowa basically, and didn’t bother to find out.

This dumb bitch is always bragging about growing up on a farm. Surely she has some idea what's going on with farmers, or is she really just too stupid?

by Anonymousreply 85October 17, 2020 11:24 PM

She’d probably have done ok is she just said, “I can’t recall at the moment but blah blah blah“

Personally I don’t think that’s a fair question. I wouldn’t expect my senators to know the details of the price of lobster or quantity of yearly lobster catch.

by Anonymousreply 86October 18, 2020 2:03 AM

Its a fair question because it's expected and traditional. She didn't prepare.

by Anonymousreply 87October 18, 2020 2:11 AM

[quote] Personally I don’t think that’s a fair question. I wouldn’t expect my senators to know the details of the price of lobster or quantity of yearly lobster catch.

I’m not an Iowan either, R86, but know many transplanted ones.

According to them, yes, absolutely, Ernst should have known these figures. Apparently in Iowa and many farm counties in the Midwest, there exists daily price reports for major commodities. One Iowan (who is not a farmer) listened to them with his family and stated by age 4 he could quote the daily averages.

This is a big deal for a Senator that purports to represent her populace especially when:

1) Her opponent hits the bullseye.

2) She campaigns on an Iowan-farmer-of-the-people platform.

Very poorly played, Joni Ernst. Very poorly played.

by Anonymousreply 88October 18, 2020 2:11 AM

[quote]Personally I don’t think that’s a fair question. I wouldn’t expect my senators to know the details of the price of lobster or quantity of yearly lobster catch.

Your personal beliefs are meaningless in this case because the citizens of Iowa expect their representatives to know these things.

by Anonymousreply 89October 18, 2020 2:53 AM

"Trouble in River City for Joni 'Corn?' Ernst!"

by Anonymousreply 90October 18, 2020 2:55 AM

R86, if lobster was the major business commodity of your state, you bet your ass they would know.

by Anonymousreply 91October 18, 2020 4:33 AM

She's from the politician/sociopath school of thought that says "never admit fault or that you don't know something". She's just not clever enough to pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 92October 18, 2020 4:34 AM

Like saying a representative from Manhattan wouldn’t know the Dow

by Anonymousreply 93October 18, 2020 5:02 AM

Joni Ernst has a disconcerting, phony smile.

by Anonymousreply 94October 18, 2020 5:09 AM

One set of my grandparents lived in a small town in an agricultural area. The farm report was a big part of every news cast. Sloppy prep by Joni. She's clearly gone D.C.

by Anonymousreply 95October 18, 2020 6:18 AM

Grew up in Iowa. Always, always saw the markets, including corn, soybeans, and all manner of hogs (barrows and gilts .50 to a dollar higher...) on TV news. Also on most radio stations, including WHO radio, where Reagan worked for a time, back in 1933(!). They even broadcast midday price quotes for commodities.

So (1) Joni has no excuse; and (2) she will lose some votes for this, particularly when her opponent nailed a similar question.

by Anonymousreply 96October 18, 2020 7:12 AM

She has the face of a woman who uses lots of toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 97October 18, 2020 8:19 AM

SNL alum Terry Sweeney would be perfect to play her.

by Anonymousreply 98October 18, 2020 8:28 AM

R17 Don't forget about Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia. A waste of human flesh and not an ounce of integrity.

by Anonymousreply 99October 18, 2020 8:29 AM

[quote] Personally I don’t think that’s a fair question. I wouldn’t expect my senators to know the details of the price of lobster or quantity of yearly lobster catch.

Thank you for your input, Ms. Collins.

by Anonymousreply 100October 18, 2020 11:57 AM

Joni is a girly name.

by Anonymousreply 101October 18, 2020 12:29 PM

She really messed up. She's pretty much like governor Kim Reynolds though; is a Trumper through and through, and is so fucking out of touch with Iowans. Like previous posters mentioned, crop prices are so easy to know; it's on the noon news every day, on AM radio several times a day. She's on a different planet.

by Anonymousreply 102October 18, 2020 4:38 PM

The only reason she even got to the Senate is because she had a funny and effective TV ad in 2014 that caught nationwide attention. Otherwise, she's been a failure from Day One.

by Anonymousreply 103October 18, 2020 6:19 PM

Iowan DLers, is this getting traction there?

by Anonymousreply 104October 18, 2020 6:20 PM

R104 it has plenty. This virtual debate was well- watched. The moderator Ron Steele is a mainstay in Eastern Iowa; he's been the evening news anchor on one of our regional affiliates for decades & decades. He's a conservative but he also doesn't put up with stunts.

by Anonymousreply 105October 18, 2020 6:43 PM

Iowa Farm Bureau no longer endorsing Joni! Bye bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106October 18, 2020 7:09 PM

Has she done anything in her 6 years in the Senate except be a GOP rubber stamp?

by Anonymousreply 107October 18, 2020 7:11 PM

^^^ Well, she's updated her hairstyle so it's now from the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 108October 18, 2020 7:12 PM

It’s too bad our campaigns efforts to sabotage the camera didnt work. Well still win in November! 🤡

by Anonymousreply 109October 18, 2020 7:16 PM

[quote]Has she done anything in her 6 years in the Senate except be a GOP rubber stamp?

The Lincoln Project attempts to answer this question...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 18, 2020 7:23 PM

What's amazing to me about the Lincoln Project ads is that it reveals how funny and quick-witted a certain brand of conservative can be. Why are they so bad at it when it comes to doing like a late night show or stand-up? Like Dennis Miller is just really bad since he became conservative. It comes off lame when they try to mock liberals.

South Park is not my thing and they clearly lean right, but I can see it's capable of being funny.

by Anonymousreply 111October 18, 2020 8:13 PM

I find Rick Wilson hilarious but he’s about the only one

by Anonymousreply 112October 18, 2020 8:19 PM

The Iowa Farm Bureau just dumped her. They no longer endorse her. That's gotta hurt.

by Anonymousreply 113October 18, 2020 8:24 PM

Sadly, the Iowa Farm Bureau seems to disavow the claim they no longer support her. Are they corporatist tools?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114October 18, 2020 8:31 PM

r114 they aren't little farmers tending the land with Ma and their five children. It's led by large-scale, industrial farmers. Trump has been giving them billions of dollars since he started his trade war with China. It's business, and especially agricultural business often is heavily Republican (except in Silicon Valley, where they are Republican-lite, Libertarians).

by Anonymousreply 115October 18, 2020 10:56 PM

In that case their members will probably grimace at Joni's ignorance but vote for her knowing that she'll keep the money coming. Other Iowans may react differently?

by Anonymousreply 116October 18, 2020 11:00 PM

R115, true. Trump has been feeding farms generous welfare and handouts. No wonder they back him.

by Anonymousreply 117October 18, 2020 11:02 PM

It was an unfair question. They should've asked her about the price of pig testicles.

by Anonymousreply 118October 18, 2020 11:06 PM

They should have asked her the price of cheap wigs

by Anonymousreply 119October 18, 2020 11:17 PM

R119, I don't think she buys those wigs. I think she hunts squirrels and then just places the pelt on her head.

by Anonymousreply 120October 18, 2020 11:19 PM

Wasn't her chief qualification for the office that she knew her way around pig testicles?

by Anonymousreply 121October 18, 2020 11:23 PM

I've never seen a wig with extensions before.

by Anonymousreply 122October 18, 2020 11:25 PM

I grew up in rural Ohio and my first job out of college was the local paper.

We ran livestock prices, corn and soybean prices every day on page two. That's how important it was. Page two. No matter what. If the livestock prices were late and nobody answered the phone at the livestock auction, I would walk over there and get the prices.

Also, when it was "fair season" (our local county fair was pretty famous back in the day), you best believe those show results took up most of the paper. You had to report on who bought the prize winning steer, milk cow, pig and sow. We even reported winning chickens, rabbits, cakes, pies, quilts, vegetables and flowers.

When someone went to the state fair with their animal, we had to report on that, too. I know most of you all think that's dumb and sad but how many of you know what's playing on Broadway or at The Met week to week and who is starring? Quite a few of you. It's important to you OR you see/hear it every day.

When you grow up in farm country, this is the stuff you see, hear and live every day because it's important to the community you live in.

by Anonymousreply 123October 18, 2020 11:33 PM

What is a local paper?

by Anonymousreply 124October 19, 2020 3:28 AM

Agricultural commodity prices are published daily in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, et. al. It's not like crop prices are some secret local knowledge.

Joni is just more focused on the price of votes. What's an Iowa senator's vote sell for these days?

by Anonymousreply 125October 19, 2020 3:40 AM

[quote] Wasn't her chief qualification for the office that she knew her way around pig testicles?

*snort*

by Anonymousreply 126October 19, 2020 3:52 AM

This is an old clip, but she’s seems quite self satisfied by her comment, and I still don’t understand what point she was trying to make that warranted such a grand statement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 19, 2020 4:55 AM

R124, it was the county paper.

Local as in not from the nearby "big city". We ran county news and most of that was farm stuff, obituaries, some politics, 4H news, local HS sports (which were big, too). Back then we also ran court reports which could be quite interesting. Also police, fire and sheriff reports.

It was the newspaper for a rural county, r124. I know that's an odd concept in this day and age but the "big city" paper didn't cover anything our community was interested in like livestock or corn prices.

by Anonymousreply 128October 19, 2020 5:33 AM

I’m an Iowa resident and registered Democrat. I was underwhelmed by Greenfield’s debate performance. She seemed underprepared and amateurish. I voted for her because Ernst is a liar and her political ads are lying and misleading. Ernst is always at McConnell’s right hand at any press conference. The race is considered a toss up.

by Anonymousreply 129October 23, 2020 10:42 PM

No matter how bad she has looked in the past, she finds a way to look worse.

by Anonymousreply 130October 23, 2020 10:51 PM

Is Ernst behind in the polls?

by Anonymousreply 131October 23, 2020 11:06 PM

As a former Kansan, I must admit I have enjoyed watching this clip many times now.

I fucking hate these assholes. They try to be so authentic with their rolled up sleeves and shit, bread bags on my shoes-- so WHAT? It's a rural state, she thinks that makes her Laura Ingalls Wilder? It goes to show how out of touch she really is. Who doesn't do shit like that out in the country. No one else feels compelled to write a speech about it.

How about twisting the heads off chickens, or getting shot at by someone in a strange car in the dark walking back from putting the hens to bed. Bags over the shoes is nothing. NOTHING. Bet that bitch doesn't even eat pickled beets, let alone grow and can them. Fucking posers, they're as bad as our fake cowboys down here in Tx.

God, bread bags over the shoes. Cry me a fucking river.

by Anonymousreply 132October 23, 2020 11:22 PM

OMG what an insufferable gas bag and cunt.

I want to slap those horse teeth right out of her head.

by Anonymousreply 133October 24, 2020 9:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!