Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brie Larson and the Casting Couch

I think it's pretty obvious. I can't think of any other explanation for her huge A-list career. No family connections to the business. Not particularly attractive, talented, or charismatic. She even admitted she bombed most of her auditions on her YouTube channel.

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2020 1:54 PM

Almost every single factor you listed is totally subjective, therefore why even question it? Who would rationally satisfy those and generally be accepted to pass the requirements? The question is silly.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 8:22 PM

She has large breasts. That is the only noteworthy thing about her. She's like a less talented Jennifer Lawrence, and Lawrence was never that great an actress. There's definitely something funky about her fame

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2020 9:17 AM

She would even fail in the audition of casting couch, my darling. She would need to sell her soul to the devil to have an acting career.

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2020 9:25 AM

Her car commercial is funny.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2020 9:29 AM

A-list? I thought she was a c-list, she hit big with that oscar nominated movie, but it has since died down, now she is a b-list.

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2020 9:29 AM

I've never heard of her.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2020 9:38 AM

She is part of the Great Mediocrity.

In celebrating her mediocrity, we celebrate the mediocrity of nobodies - that is, the bulk of women.

'To celebrate Brie, is to celebrate Me!'

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2020 9:45 AM

She is why Sutton Foster is lucky she can sing.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2020 12:45 PM

R7 I think you are onto something about her every(wo)man appeal. It's always how I've felt about Vince Vaughn and the Mara sisters. But why Bree in particular? The latter at least came from wealthy families.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2020 5:32 PM

Get a grip, you jealous old hag. She’s beautiful...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2020 5:52 PM

... and she’s been plowed by yards of primo dick you’ll never have — ha ha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2020 5:53 PM

R10 R11 menopause sweats much, Nancy? She has a nice body but her face is average to borderline ugly.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2020 5:59 PM

R11: Oh yeah that looks like true love.

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2020 6:03 PM

She was annoying on the United States of Tara. I can't believe Brie has an Oscar and Toni Collette does not. That shows you how screwed up the Academy is. Was she one of Harvey's girls? Perhaps one of the last?

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2020 6:04 PM

R14: I don't know if it was Weinstein but she definitely fucked someone or multiple people to get where she is today. A 10 year old boy acted circles around her and she got all the awards.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2020 6:06 PM

I’m blocking this. What stupid hate.

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2020 6:12 PM

Yawn, just misogyny from DLers who don't understand the concept of subjectivity. They think their opinion is fact - I don't like her, therefore she isn't talented! And if I think she isn't talented, that must mean she used the casting couch to get ahead. They do this with every actress they don't like. Jennifer Lawrence is another one. The Trump trolls hate her because they think she's "woke" - I guess they'd rather praise the Scott Baios of the world who share their beliefs. They're like the QAnon brigade who accuse stars whose politics they don't like of being sex abusers or sex traffickers.

When DLers try to claim that an actress is famous ONLY because of the casting couch, I point to Charlotte Kirk who slept with a bunch of powerful guys and yet isn't a famous or successful actress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2020 6:16 PM

R17 If you think Jennifer Lawrence didn't get Weinstein's greasy knob then you're an imbecile.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2020 6:34 PM

She has bad feet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2020 10:53 PM

Brie Larson has a Youtube page and I've decided I love her now. She's very funny.

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2020 11:10 PM

She’s a good actress, but has a shitty personality that turned people off when it should’ve been her big moment. She’ll keep churning out Captain Marvel shit, but her career as an A list actress who can carry her own picture is donezo.

Plus, I can’t take anyone seriously who did this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2020 1:16 AM

Are categories such as how well aligned your toes are and how beautiful your face is determining factors of how good an actor you are? I’m always surprised on the stupid acting threads how people will suggest that because someone is not beautiful that they shouldn’t act, or that the actor is deluded thinking they can act if they do not possess a certain beauty. And in the same breath the commenter will talk about how the oscars are no longer merit based or something. The levels of stupidity on display on here know no bounds.

by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2020 3:43 AM

[quote] [R10] [R11] menopause sweats much, Nancy?

Men don’t get those — not even transwomen like you, dear.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2020 5:00 AM

She looks bad as a blonde.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2020 6:59 AM

She takes herself way too seriously. I find her humourless and mediocre as an actress but I don't believe she slept for roles.

I bet she would write a 1,500 word essay in response of this. Actually I hope she will.

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2020 7:10 AM

Thank god R17 came along to explain what opinions are.

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2020 8:09 AM

She lucked out with “Room”; she was good in that, but there are several dozen actresses who could/would have delivered good performances in that role, with that script. She was borderline unbearable and insufferable in “Captain Marvel”—the degree to which she thinks that “smirking” equals “acting” is extraordinary. She’s neither as smart nor as funny as she thinks she is, and is easy to root against, though I doubt she slept for roles.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2020 8:29 AM

I don't think she slept for roles either.

She had a music career that sounded very Ashlee/Avril/Michelle Branch-ish.

She still sounds better than Hilary Duff's autotuned voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2020 10:21 AM

A-List?

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2020 12:52 PM

R29: She won an oscar for her breakout role and got a Marvel gig fairly quickly. Perhaps she didn't sleep for roles but at the very least she showed some skin. She's not a good actress at all.

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2020 1:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!