Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cornell University's English Department gets name changed in blackwashing

"Faculty members of color" pushed for the name change to eliminate link between English nation and it's language and literature written in the language in act of anti-racism and decolonization of the academic department.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2020 2:45 PM

Everyone's still going to call it the English Department, including " People of Color."

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 6:42 PM

This is such a croc of shit.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2020 6:44 PM

Except the SJWs, who are mostly homely girls who are angry at the world because they are not popular.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2020 6:44 PM

At my school, whenever I mention our "World Cultures" department I am greeted with, "What?" and have to say, "Foreign Languages."

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2020 6:44 PM

Everyday black people don't care about this - at all. It isn't a problem for 99.9999 percent of folks.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2020 6:45 PM

Ye olde stupid fucks.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 6:45 PM

Academia is so dull and destructive these days. Since the 1980s would you say?

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 6:50 PM

University culture is destroying the left and liberalism. It’s so extreme and overly sensitive that I imagine novels aren’t even evaluated anymore on the basis of literary quality but on their wokeness. Also these teachers don’t get enough oxygen and live weirdly cloistered lives.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 6:52 PM

Will this also occur in other departments that include a world associated with colonialism in the title. Cornell has a department of German Studies. Will they now name this the dept of studies of literature in German languages, German language, and culture of persons who are German?

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 6:52 PM

Because of this, everyone should vote for Trump. Right, OP?

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2020 6:53 PM

[Quote] University culture is destroying the left and liberalism.

This.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2020 6:57 PM

And of course we turn it into a Trump post.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2020 6:57 PM

If OP’s point isn’t to get people to vote for Trump, then what IS his* point?

* Sexist language used intentionally because otherwise you people would shriek.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2020 6:59 PM

And yet here you are, r5, taking time out of your busy day to comment on something that is irrelevant to 99.9999% of the population.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2020 7:01 PM

[quote] The English Department at the Cornell University decided to change its name in order to help eliminate the “conflation of English as a language and English as a nationality,” the student-run Cornell Daily Sun reported.

Students at Cornell will now no longer be confused about whether the department is for English literature or for people whose nationality is English. That’s important. It’s also important for everyone else to know that about students at Cornell.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2020 7:02 PM

"If OP’s point isn’t to get people to vote for Trump, then what IS his* point?"

It's to point out the ridiculousness of the SJW " Cancel Culture" and the stupidity of universities which are kowtowing to this nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2020 7:03 PM

r3 there's some truth in that. The ugly unfuckables hate life and have an axe to grind with the world. The hot people are too busy enjoying life and getting laid.

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2020 7:05 PM

This was probably brought to you by John McWhorter. Or Breitbart.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2020 7:07 PM

Or Jordan Petersen or Michelle Malkin or Bill Maher or Bari Weiss or someone of that ilk.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2020 7:09 PM

Way to spoil an interesting topic. Bye I'm outta here.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2020 7:10 PM

Pity, r20. I was so looking forward to an extended disquisition about how the term “blackwashing” is in no way inflammatory or racist.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2020 7:12 PM

Ah, it's ok. I thought they were going to try to rename the language itself.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2020 7:13 PM

"And yet here you are, [R5], taking time out of your busy day to comment on something that is irrelevant to 99.9999% of the population. "

I meant using the name "English Department" is irrelevant to the vast, vast majority of the people.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2020 7:14 PM

Wait until the people in the German department get a whiff of this!

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2020 7:15 PM

[quote] This isn’t just us doing a symbolic gesture

No it is. If you asked 1000 non White students of ways to improve their life at Cornell in the wake of the BLM movement I doubt a single one would say "please rename The English Department to The Department of Literatures in English" this may be the most symbolic gesture I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2020 7:19 PM

Far above Cayuga's waters

There's an awful smell

Some say it's Cayuga's waters

Some say it's

Cornell

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2020 7:21 PM

Welcome to 1989!

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2020 7:22 PM

We acknowledge that Cornell is located on Indigenous Lands of the Cayuga Nation and recognize the Indigenous peoples who have lived and continue to live here. In so doing, we acknowledge Cayuga Nation sovereignty and their long-standing presence on this land, which precedes the establishment of Cornell University, New York State, and the United States of America.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2020 7:28 PM

[quote] University culture is destroying the left and liberalism. It’s so extreme and overly sensitive that I imagine novels aren’t even evaluated anymore on the basis of literary quality but on their wokeness. Also these teachers don’t get enough oxygen and live weirdly cloistered lives.

Poor little white supremacist. He also has issues with TV, not just academia:

[quote] More sick entertainment that depicts white people as depraved sociopaths.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2020 7:29 PM

Cornell? When did I go to Cornell?

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2020 7:31 PM

SUCH a relief to hear this welcome news! I've been losing sleep!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2020 7:45 PM

It's not a REAL Ivy League anyway.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2020 7:56 PM

Umm, Keith Olbermann has a degree from there, your Rethuglican!

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2020 2:34 PM

OP, it's rather clear from your writing that you didn't major in English. Or perhaps, go to any college.

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2020 2:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!