Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How often do you (and/or partner, if applicable) cook dinner at home?

Since COVID began, my husband and I have had all but a couple of our evening meals at home, always cooked from scratch (we hardly ever use our microwave, nor do we buy pre-made processed meals). But this was our normal practice before COVID too.

What about you? Do you mostly cook, or mostly not?

Well?

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 7:44 PM

Our chef cooks all of our meals during the weekdays. We cook together on weekends.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 5:13 PM

My partner and I rarely have a home cooked meal together. We are on different schedules and assiduously watch our weight. We don't dine out much together anymore, when we do it's usually with friends.

We both have our largest meals midday, and very light meals at night. He often doesn't get home until after 9pm and will fix a light meal for himself. I eat a very light meal about 6-7pm. We are both self-employed, can make our own hours, and have no designated days off, and often work through weekends.

We more often have breakfast together, eating something we each made for ourselves. Sometimes we make a full English breakfast but on rare occasions.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2020 5:48 PM

R2 again. We have lunch or breakfast out more often than dinner out because we're averse to large evening meals.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2020 5:49 PM

I microwave all frozen foods.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2020 5:58 PM

Before Covid, I ate almost every afternoon and evening meal out, 90% easily. Preparing a full meal at home is rare, usually it's elements of a meal, or the finish preparation of prepared meals (shops that sell homemade food of excellent quality are found on almost every block where I live, and one of the most exceptional ones is a block and a half away.)

After Covid, it's a division of roughly thirds: eating out, cooking a meal and eating in, or—and this is more for late afternoon meals—prepared foods from shops served at home.

There are hundreds of restaurants within a very short walk so that was the usual plan pre-Covid. Sometimes for a break we would make a proper meal at home, or some special meal that one of us enjoys making, but it's simple to eat out, there's wide variety of choice, the cost is low, and the quality very high.

The standard breakfast is coffee and a toasted bread rubbed with garlic and fresh crushed tomato and olive oil. Maybe with a bit of ham. Sometimes with fresh juice as well. It's the same at home as out so that's more of a mix: either buy the ingredients fresh in the morning and make it at home, or take breakfast in the street.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2020 6:25 PM

We each make our own evening meals. Sometimes I cook for both of us. We eat very different food items.

I will eat breakfast out very early in the mornings (6am-7am) at a nearby restaurant. Few people are in there at that hour. I am in a rural area.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 6:36 PM

Up to 2-3 years ago - the age of 48 - I NEVER cooked. I traveled for work almost every weekand lived in NYC. Most people refused to believe I NEVER cooked - but I literally did not do anything.

I started to cook 2-3 years ago and now I am at 75% - and since Covid 95%. My partner has slowly adjusted post Covid. It is so much healthier. I lost weight without trying.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 6:52 PM

Cooking and preparing food is such a colossal drag.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 7:34 PM

I live alone, and cook nearly all my own meals. My take-out options are primarily fast food, which I try to avoid. As long as I'm eating by myself, I don't overtax myself preparing anything elaborate. I'll at least go to the trouble of preparing several courses if I'm having company, but don't bother when I eat alone.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 7:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!