Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

SSI question

I have a sister on SSI who insists that she cannot have a checking account. I've found nothing online that would support this proposition. Anyone on SSI - or close to someone on SSI - can you please weigh in on this?

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 11:49 PM

Yes, she can have a checking account...and a Savings account...but she cannot accumulate any significant balance. SSI if for people who dont qualify for regular SS.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 1:28 PM

Of course, she can get her SSI payments direct deposited into a checking account as well.

She can't have more than $2000 in cash accumulated, if I recall.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2020 1:32 PM

Uh, SSI is for people on disability.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2020 1:34 PM

My mom is on Medi-Caid and she has the same $2,000 limit for her checking and CD accounts. You can have over 2K in banking assets during the month but the ending amount can't be over 2K. My mom had one month that did end over the 2K limit (just slightly) and the county stopped her coverage and it was a hassle to go in and get my mom's coverage restarted. Now my mom makes sure to take cash out every month. So maybe people think they can't have a checking account but it's more along the lines of extra info they rather not share with the government.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2020 1:40 PM

As I understand it, on at least one day in a calendar month, SSI recipients can have no more than a total of $2000 in all their bank accounts, whether savings, checking or both.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2020 1:40 PM

Per R5's point, if you go to page 22, under the heading "What about other assets?" you'll see the following language:

"Your total amount of countable assets, including a bank account or joint bank account, must be valued at $2000 or less at least one day during each month."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 1:44 PM

She either has some kind of horrible credit related issue which prevents her from getting a bank account, is lying because she doesn't want to go to a bank or doesn't know what she's talking about.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 5:24 PM

Thanks, all. She has a savings account, R7, but, for reasons known only to her, has insisted that she cannot also have a checking account. As her trustee, I'm trying to disabuse her of this notion.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 11:34 PM

This explains some rather odd behavior of an aunt of mine. Thanks all.

She is on SSI, and one of her sisters passed away (another one of my aunts). Everyone (siblings) got ... around $100,000K. She refused to have the money wired to her, and she somehow later cashed the physical check in some round about way through a 3rd party.

God the money is probably under her mattress right now.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 11:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!