Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fiber supplements

Do you take one? My diet isn’t great in terms of high fiber plant foods so to help my hemorrhoids my gastroenterologist has listed several things I can do at home to help, one of which is taking a fiber supplement nightly. What is the outcome of a fiber supplement though? Does it cause a flood of soft mushy stool? Because I actually think that aggravates my ‘foods even more. Or, does fiber help produce a firm, compact, mucous covered stool that slips out on one piece with no effort and strain and little residue?

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2020 2:53 AM

that was supposed to read “ aggravates my ‘roids even more”

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 1:23 PM

I see The Scat Queen is up early today...

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2020 1:26 PM

no, this is a legit medical question.

the scat queen posted already about Germans

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2020 2:53 PM

Just drink low-sugar yogurt milk, nan.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2020 3:05 PM

I don’t but I probably should. I find it impossible to get the recommended daily fiber. Right now I’m relying on coffee to make me go poop in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2020 3:08 PM

r3 I started the German scat thread but I am not the scat troll.

Anyway, OP: I find taking fiber supplements makes me very bloated and uncomfortable. Would not recommend.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 3:12 PM

Just ask the question, you don't have to go into detailed descriptions of stool.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 3:15 PM

I will probably start with a single capsule and see what happens. The bottle says you can take up to six a day, which sounds like it would be very bloaty. I wonder if they expand in the stomach and make one feel satiated? That would be an excellent side effect.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 3:25 PM

There are various supplements you can try to see what suits you. Psyllium in its raw form is good if you drink enough water with it, and it will make you feel fuller. I've seen chewable supplements made from dried fruit such as figs which you might prefer.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 3:29 PM

I take my Metamucil 2X a day and it works like a charm.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2020 7:03 PM

I have IBS which can result in loose stools multiple times a day. Through trial and error, I've found that taking 7 Metamucil caps at bedtime has basically cured me. One bm in the morning with all the ideal attributes which you desire. I suggest you start with one or two capsules and be sure to stay hydrated.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2020 7:24 PM

I take a dose of Metamucil in the evening, and drink plenty of water. I normally have a large, painless BM the next morning after my morning coffee. I originally started using Metamucil because of hemorrhoids. It made a huge difference reducing the pain that I had previously experienced. I had tried the smaller fiber supplement tablets and capsules, and never noticed much difference using them. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2020 7:27 PM

I was taking psyllium husk capsules, and while they worked as expected they gave me a stomach ache. Now I have a bowl of oatmeal in the morning and then two dried dates, as a snack later in the day. I'm now regular again.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2020 7:31 PM

R11

7? Really? Who has the money for all of that? Fuck

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2020 7:31 PM

I take psyllium to be ready for surprise anal, but no one has surprised me.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2020 7:33 PM

OP, try high fiber cereal like Fiber One. Fiber from whole grains is more effective than fiber from fruits and vegetables. Eat a big bowl of this cereal. 8 hours later and you're good to go.

The dirty details: your stool comes out like toothpaste, which is considered the right texture if you're consuming enough fiber.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2020 8:08 PM

R14, in my case the cost is worth it considering what I was contending with. And though I referenced Metamucil, I actually use the drugstore brands which are identical and half the price.

-r11

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 12:03 AM

I drink psyllium husks (Metamucil without the flavoring) mixed in water every morning. I get the psyllium husks in bulk from a health food store. It's more of a bulk-forming thing.

OP, mucus is *not* desirable. Google it.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2020 12:39 AM

not mucous like there is an infection. If you look at dog or cat shit, it usually comes out with a shiny clear coating. That’s the natural lube in the body that helps push things along.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2020 2:05 AM

I drink a tablespoon of Bene-Fibre daily. It dissolves completely in water unlike Metamucil. As someone posted up thread, it helps to keep your stools the texture of toothpaste. No straining needed so great for your hemms.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2020 2:21 AM

Try eating a fucking salad once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2020 2:37 AM

R21

I eat salad everyday and still have problems. I can go in the morning after drinking coffee okay (not as good as it should be tho) but later in the day it’s a big struggle to get it out when I feel like I have to go.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2020 2:49 AM

Drinking more water will help. You don't have to drink an extra gallon, just take a couple of extra sips throughout the day.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2020 2:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!