Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Disturbing Missing Persons Cases (The Springfield Three, Angela Hammond)

I am fascinated by the sheer quantity of disturbing missing persons cases in the US. Almost every state has a few of them I think, besides the odd serial killer here or there. What are the missing person cases you find most fascinating. I can think of two that both happened close to each other in Missouri. I know there have been threads about The Springfield Three, but I want to start a new one. Anybody here from the city or from Missouri and can provide some interesting information?

Another one is the disappearance of pregnant Angela Hammond. She was abducted at night while on a payphone calling her boyfriend. During the conversation, she observed a suspicious looking guy in a van circling the block, looking at her. She told her boyfriend on the phone about this, but after a while he only heard a loud scream and the perpetrator saying 'I didn't need to use the phone anyway'. He drove to the location, saw the truck with his girlfriend inside who screamed at him, but ruined the car's transmission after accidentally putting the gear in reverse, which soon gave out after he followed the truck for some miles.

None of these women have ever been found.

P.S: Why does this stuff only happen in your country?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 11, 2021 5:43 PM

You should go to Websleuths. They have thousands of cases like this.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 12:34 PM

R1 But I want to hear from Dataloungers.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2020 12:35 PM

No, really. You'll find websleuths more satisfying. Go there.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2020 12:38 PM

Why do I increasingly get the sense German Gay Guy isn't really German?

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2020 12:40 PM

The US is an enormous country. Each state is like a little (or big) fiefdom of its own. The US could put most other countries in its pocket. Of course more weird things are going to happen in the US. More people - more area - more crazies - more abductions, more murders, etc. No, I'm not American.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2020 1:55 PM

[quote]P.S: Why does this stuff only happen in your country?

It doesn't. It happens all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 2:04 PM

I lived in Springfield, MO during my high school years. I went to school with Suzie Streeter. I wasn't friends with her per se, but I knew her and I vividly remember her at school functions, in the hall, and in the yearbook. We might have had a class together? We would say hi to each other in the hall. Anyway--I didn't know this happened to her until I saw a thread on DL about The Springfield Three last year. It's so shocking and sad. I hate that this happened to her.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 2:15 PM

R7 Very interesting! Any local rumours about what might have happened to her?

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 3:27 PM

Websleuths is a cesspool.

There are some good youtube channels that cover crime cases. I like the humor and style of ThatChapter. Also his videos are max 30 minutes. Some are an hour or more long.

I personally knew of two missing persons cases but both were eventually solved. Both turned out to be suicides once the bodies were found.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 3:33 PM

[quote]Why does this stuff only happen in your country?

Why are you so stupid?

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2020 4:31 PM

R8 She was a party girl. What I can piece together from friends who still live in Springfield, is it was probably some shady older guys that they already knew. I mean, no one really knows! But there was no sign of a forced entry. It was graduation weekend and everyone was partying. In Missouri in the 80s-mid 90s high schoolers regularly started drinking heavily on the weekends in 10th grade. So graduation was always very, very boozy and crazy. Parties everywhere. I don't assume it is like that anymore for kids.

Another thing I heard is that they are rumored to be buried in a place that used to be a forest, but a hospital was built there with a parking garage next to it. They have picked up, via sonar, three "blobs" under the garage that may be the bodies. They can't dig the area up without taking down the whole parking garage. So we might never know. Ughh this is making me ill even thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2020 4:44 PM

When are you going to go missing, GermanGayGranny? It would be much more fascinating as to how a 2-meter-tall, 250-kg fat slob could disappear without a trace.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2020 4:48 PM

I am also fascinated by missing persons cases. I used to go on the Charley Project and read about random cases throughout the country, but would freak myself out and have to stop. The Doe Network is even worse, though—I was looking at cases on there once and accidentally ended up in the "John/Jane Doe" section where they have horrific photographs of unclaimed corpses.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2020 4:59 PM

The Beaumont Children. Three sibling disappeared without a trace. This happened in Australia in the mid-60s and no trace of them has ever been found. Australia has a lot of really sick fucks, as I learned from the great Casefile podcast.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2020 5:13 PM

Why do we torture ourselves with True Crime? I admit it is fascinating, but it's also tragic and sickening. The story of the Beaumont Children is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2020 5:24 PM

Isn't it kinda depressing to wallow yourself in these tragedies? I read them in the news, but I try not to follow them up elsewhere, it's too heartbreaking and depressing.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2020 5:27 PM

R11 Well, I always thought that the mother was targeted. Why would someone want to make them disappear?

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2020 5:55 PM

You want websleuths. They continuously talk about the same unsolved true crime cases there, day after day, month after month, year after year. .

Websleuths.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2020 7:41 PM

[quote] Websleuths is a cesspool.

No it’s not.

It’s exactly what you want - to talk about the same cases over & over again for years.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2020 7:43 PM

Absolutely, OP - Websleuths has all the information that exists on these cases. You should read about disappearances there. That’s what they exist for.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2020 7:48 PM

Just do a search for True Crime sites, OP. There are hundreds of them that can tell you exactly whatever is known about real life mysteries. They have all the info you’re looking for.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2020 7:51 PM

R17 Yes maybe it was some sketchy people the mother was involved with. Its...a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2020 9:07 PM

Someone was involved with drug dealers. Maybe it was the mother?

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2020 9:08 PM

The story of Kyron Horman is tragic and depressing. I was living in Oregon when he disappeared, and it was all over the news. It's so sad to see hope fade in real time. Still no closure, and it's been a decade. Just makes my heart hurt. I honestly hope he was killed rather than have become another Steven Stayner having to live with (and be raped by) your perpetrator for years and years, homesick, desperately missing your family, and knowing that they, too are frantic and grieving. They fear, shock, guilt, shame and trauma is not something I would want any child to endure. Death is preferable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2020 10:02 PM

R19. Yes they do talk about the same cases for years however half of what they talk about is pure nonsense. There is so much speculation and conjecture and ridiculous theories that it is hard to read through their threads if you have the ability for critical thinking. I don't mind a thread when there is a new / active missing case as info is just coming in but once they get into hashing over and rehashing every possible thing and the thinking starts to go into left field...it is a cesspool.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2020 10:39 PM

OP, was the boyfriend a suspect?

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2020 10:43 PM

I’m still haunted by the horrible Tracy Jo Shine case.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2020 10:44 PM

They rehash the same cases over & over, just like you do. You’re no better than they are.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2020 10:46 PM

R28 are you talking about the Tracy Jo Shine case?

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2020 11:04 PM

The Springfield Three is my #1 missing persons case. It is so baffling.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2020 11:05 PM

The disappearance of Miami of Ohio student Ron Tammen in 1953

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2020 11:14 PM

I don’t think unsolved mysteries are that interesting, because there’s no conclusion.

But a lot of true crime stories are fascinating, because you’re hearing about bizarre people who are totally different from you (if you’re normal minded, psychologically.) And the methods they choose are either very well thought out or totally idiotic.

They just solved a decades old series of killings in Australia a few weeks ago. They got the guy after digging into old assault case files ... he had left fingerprints on a sliding glass door when he was a teenager, or something, and that helped to link him to the more brutal, notorious cases the police were still trying to solve.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2020 11:19 PM

In the seventies there was what was called The Mainline Murders. Long story short (you can read all about it in Joseph Wambaugh's great book on the subject "Echoes In The Darkness); a homely, married schoolteacher in Pennsylvania named Susan Reinert fell in love with a sociopathic fellow teacher named William Bradfield. Convinced he was going to marry her, she gave him $25,000 in cash to "invest" for her and made him the sole beneficiary and executor of her estate, after taking out over $700,000 in life insurance policies. In June 1979 her car was seen leaving her home on a stormy, rainy night; her children were with her. Reinert was later found dead in the trunk of her car, nude, beaten, with chain marks on her body. She was killed with an overdose of morphine. Bradfield was eventually convicted of her murder and sentenced to life in prison. He died there. His accomplice, Jay Smith, the sociopathic former principal of the school where both Bradfield and Reinert worked, was also convicted of her murder and sentenced to death. He eventually got out of prison on a legal technicality. In addition to being convicted of Reinert's murder Bradfield and Smith were also convicted of the murders of her two children, Michael and Karen Reinert. But their bodies were never found. They totally vanished, never to be seen or heard from again. Who knows what really happened to them? It was said that Jay Smith had a talent for making people disappear; one of his daughters and her husband also vanished without a trace.

To this day I wonder what happened to the Reinert children. They were both bright, attractive, very loveable children. It was such a tragedy that their mother's stupidity led to them disappearing from the face of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2020 11:30 PM

What about the one where the woman disappeared after being seen in a car, or in a store parking lot or else she was in an accident, or maybe she was babysitting, or made friends with someone on the Internet, or was home alone after leaving work, or after leaving school, or went to a bus stop, or hitchhiked, but was never seen again?

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2020 11:35 PM

R33 blames the mom instead of the actual murderers. Nice misogyny there.

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2020 11:39 PM

That one sounds SO familiar!

Is she the one whose smile lit up a room??

by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2020 11:39 PM

^^ Replying to r34

by Anonymousreply 37October 16, 2020 11:40 PM

Richard Colvin Cox vanished from the West Point campus in 1950, never to be seen again. He is the only West Point student to be permanently missing

by Anonymousreply 38October 16, 2020 11:41 PM

I know, R34. What about the one where the girls were going to the mall, or were at the mall, or were coming home from the mall or going to the beach, or were last seen at the beach? And the kid who was riding her bike or was playing in the park or got off the school bus or was delivering newspapers? And the nurse who left the hospital or the teacher who was having an affair, or the doctor’s wife who disappeared? And the girl who left the school play to pick up her brother or was selling Girl Scout cookies or walking the dog, or went to the store to get bread for her mothe and was never seen again?

by Anonymousreply 39October 16, 2020 11:47 PM

[quote]R33 Reinert was later found dead in the trunk of her car, nude, beaten, with chain marks on her body. She was killed with an overdose of morphine.

What’s especially terrible about that one to me is.... you know, he didn’t have to beat her and use chains before he killed her. A lot of the spousal murders are about money, which I guess is understandable (to a degree) where everyone lives beyond their means, wants to get out of debt, and feels they need more and more and more money.

So fine... that’s where we’ve ended up. Or maybe society’s always been that way. But there’s no need to torture someone when they’ve already signed their life insurance or whatever over to you.

I mean, is a merciful death really asking too much?? Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 40October 16, 2020 11:47 PM

GGG I believe serial killers are quite the thing in Germany, no?

by Anonymousreply 41October 16, 2020 11:50 PM

r24 this case also breaks my heart...the sweet little boy with his glasses. i think about Kyron, he shouldn't be forgotten

by Anonymousreply 42October 16, 2020 11:56 PM

And the one who was in the Manson Family who disappeared but nobody was sure what his real name was, or the killer with a hood over his head, or the strangler who killed women in their bedrooms, or the one who tied people up & tortured them? And the one who raped & killed so many victims nobody really knows how many there were, but he said he probably killed 300 people? And the guys who lured people to the house & killed them & buried them outside or in the walls or burned them in an outdoor pit after putting lime on them?

And the one who was seen dragging a trunk, or putting a rug in the trunk of his car, or poured the foundation of a basement and put an addition on his house? And his daughter had disappeared years earlier & he said she had run away & showed people postcards she’d sent saying “Don’t look for me, I’m very happy now”? And the guy who said his wife went to live with her mother who was sick & she took the kids with her?

by Anonymousreply 43October 16, 2020 11:58 PM

If you don't like missing persons cases, don't read this thread. DL is a board for many different topics.

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2020 12:03 AM

Kyron Horman's stepmother Terri killed him or orchestrated his kidnapping. Bitch has no real alibi and failed a couple of polygraphs.

by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2020 12:05 AM

Brian Shaffer, who disappeared in a Columbus, OH bar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2020 12:10 AM

"Blames the mom instead of the actual murderers. Nice misogyny there."

Nope, just stating the truth. Taking out huge life insurance policies and naming your manipulative boyfriend sole executor and beneficiary of your estate is VERY stupid. In this case, the stupidity led to the death of three people, two of them totally innocent, blameless children. Police who worked on that case said "that woman's stupidity was a crime." They were right.

by Anonymousreply 47October 17, 2020 12:12 AM

Have you ever heard of David Paulides GGG? Plenty on YouTube to keep you up to speed. I'm particularly interested in the number of people who go missing in America's National Parks, as an avid wilderness backpacker. He claims there seems to be an odd proportion of those missing of German heritage. (Seriously not putting you on).

Do you view YouTube vids on the German version? I'm providing a link to a vid, but you should read up on these if you haven't had the chance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 17, 2020 12:21 AM

[quote] You want websleuths. They continuously talk about the same unsolved true crime cases there, day after day, month after month, year after year.

And it's Tapatalk friendly! Lots of Tapatalk there.

by Anonymousreply 49October 17, 2020 12:32 AM

R47, what police? The same ones who support Kyle Rittenhouse. Only a sociopath would say having bad judgment is the same thing as intentionally killing someone?

by Anonymousreply 50October 17, 2020 12:35 AM

r33

[quote]It was such a tragedy that their mother's stupidity led to them disappearing from the face of the earth.

More naiveté, I think. I've learned never to underestimate a homely woman's need to believe romance knocked on her door.

by Anonymousreply 51October 17, 2020 12:48 AM

R45 But why wasn't she arrested? Especially after failing two polygraph tests?

by Anonymousreply 52October 17, 2020 12:56 AM

Polygraph tests are bullshit, r52

by Anonymousreply 53October 17, 2020 12:58 AM

Then why do they do polygraph testing at all, R53? Not being cheeky, just...why do they bother, if they are bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 54October 17, 2020 1:00 AM

R54, partly because some (not so bright) people still believe in them

Partly because they want to gage someone's reaction to being asked to take the test in the first place - they assume a guilty person will refuse to take the test

by Anonymousreply 55October 17, 2020 1:03 AM

r55 - Yep. Many stupid criminals confess at the mere mention of polygraph, being told the results were inconclusive w/out even verifying the results, or proceed to act guilty as hell. Moreover, many do not know they can decline one.

by Anonymousreply 56October 17, 2020 1:48 AM

[quote]The story of Kyron Horman is tragic and depressing. I was living in Oregon when he disappeared

I feel so bad for him and his poor mother. His piece of shit dad is the reason this happened to him. His mother is a saint

The father didn't give a shit about the kid and married a skank. He didn't care when his skank wife mistreated Kyron. Even when his son was missing, the dad wasn't straight with the cops.

by Anonymousreply 57October 17, 2020 5:25 AM

This one is extremely odd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 17, 2020 5:54 AM

R58, that one is weird.

by Anonymousreply 59October 17, 2020 3:35 PM

[quote]But why wasn't she arrested? Especially after failing two polygraph tests?

Because there's a difference between knowing something and being able to prove it in a court of law, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 60October 17, 2020 4:40 PM

The Lars Mittank case in Bulgaria has always creeped me out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 17, 2020 6:05 PM

The Jodi Huisentruit disappearance. Many people believe an older male friend who said to be in love with her killed her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 17, 2020 6:22 PM

The victims deserve to be remembered. They mattered.

It's also important to study the patterns of behaviour and personality types that lead to violent crime. The main ones seem to be having too many kids too young and growing up in a repressive religion. There's a reason why Utah has more than its share of family murders.

And trust your damn gut. If someone gives you the heebie jeebies, run like hell, no matter how good they seem on paper.

by Anonymousreply 63October 17, 2020 6:37 PM

[quote]And trust your damn gut. If someone gives you the heebie jeebies, run like hell, no matter how good they seem on paper.

Definitely. If you get a weird feeling about a person, don't ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 64October 17, 2020 6:56 PM

Websleuths is run by a bunch of control freaks who constantly delete posts and shut down entire threads.

by Anonymousreply 65October 17, 2020 10:51 PM

I can't recall the name. There was a case where a young boy went missing after he went outside to watch firetruck going through his neighborhood. It might have been in the 70s or 80s

by Anonymousreply 66October 18, 2020 6:21 PM

I can't recall the name. There was a case where a young boy went missing after he went outside to watch firetruck going through his neighborhood. It might have been in the 70s or 80s

by Anonymousreply 67October 18, 2020 6:21 PM

Back when I was in jr. high, the 70's, I met a girl whose little brother had disappeared out of their front yard, years before. It never made the news or anything but child abductions have been going on forever with little fanfare or mention in the news. I think the Adam Walsh case was the first time one was really put out in the media.

by Anonymousreply 68October 18, 2020 6:24 PM

I was around the same age as Adam Walsh and everybody's parents flipped the fuck out. That was the beginning of the child abduction hysteria in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 69October 18, 2020 7:41 PM

Does anyone remember the case of those two siblings whose house was staked out by some weirdo loner, who then went in killed the family and took the kids out into the woods, raped them and then killed the little boy in front of his sister. Huge manhunt and a waitress in some truck stop or diner serving them got weird vibes and called the cops. That little girl must be fucked up now. Her family was kind of white trash but after witnessing what she did, god only knows how she turned out.

by Anonymousreply 70October 18, 2020 7:46 PM

R70, you are thinking of Dylan and Shasta Groene. Such a sick and heartbreaking case. Joseph Duncan was unspeakably evil. From what I remember, Shasta was struggling, but going in a positive direction with her life. However, this was a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 71October 18, 2020 7:56 PM

That's them R71. Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 72October 18, 2020 8:02 PM

What about those that go missing and then show ip again? Ahem...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 19, 2020 1:36 AM

[quote] I can't recall the name. There was a case where a young boy went missing after he went outside to watch fire truck going through his neighborhood. It might have been in the 70s or 80s

This might be the case

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 19, 2020 3:00 AM

There's a podcast out about The Springfield Three. It's called The Springfield Three: A Small-Town Disappearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 29, 2021 9:06 PM

Nine-year-old Anthonette Cayedito disappeared on April 6, 1986. When her mother, Penny, awoke that morning, she was surprised to find out that Anthonette was not in the house. She started to panic after checking with every single person in the neighborhood and nobody saw her. The police and her neighbors searched around the surrounding foothills and found no trace of her. Authorities were almost certain she was kidnapped at the middle of the night. Police were capable of offering little to bolster her parents' hope of Anthonette being found alive.

After a year passed, a dramatic call for help came into the Gallup Police Station. A feminine voice on the phone claimed to be Anthonette, stating that she was in Albuquerque. Before she could tell the dispatcher exactly where she was, an unidentified male said to her, "Who said you could use the phone?". The girl screamed and the call ended.

When the police played a recording of the call to Penny, she was certain that the voice was Anthonette's. She said she was especially certain based on the way the girl said her name. However, she did not recognize the man's voice. The police tried to trace the call but were unsuccessful. The call gave her family hope that she may still be alive.

Five years later, after age-progressed photographs of Anthonette were released, a waitress came forward, believing that she saw her at her restaurant. She recalled serving a table with a male, a female, and a girl around the age of fourteen or fifteen. She noted that they had rather unkempt appearances, possibly from struggling with her.

The girl apparently dropped her utensils on the floor intentionally, and when the waitress would try to pick them up for her, she grabbed her hand. However, she thought nothing of it and went about her business. The male, female, and girl left the restaurant. As the waitress cleared the table, she noticed a napkin under the girl's plate with the message, "Please help me, call the police."

This sighting also brought some hope to Anthonette's family. One month later, investigators decided to reinterview witnesses involved in the case. They spoke to her sister, Wendy, who was five at the time. Now ten, she told investigators that she had actually witnessed Anthonette's abduction.

Wendy said that at around 3am, there was a knock at the door. When Anthonette went to answer it, the person said that it was "Uncle Joe". Two men then grabbed her. When asked why she hadn't come forward sooner, Wendy said that she was scared and afraid that she would get in trouble.

Investigators cleared "Uncle Joe" who was married to Penny's sister at the time. This, however, leads them to believe that the abductors knew the family.

In 1992, Penny went to a Navajo medicine woman, in hopes of learning more about Anthonette's whereabouts. She did a special ceremony that is done in hopes of contacting the spirit of a missing person. According to her, Anthonette is still alive and may have a child. She is being held against her will, somewhere in the Southwest United States.

Investigators and Anthonette's family are still searching for her and hope that she is still alive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 9, 2021 4:16 AM

The phone call for the case at R76 is extremely chilling:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77June 9, 2021 4:19 AM

The case of the woman who left her apartment without her cellphone or wallet. There wasn't any further activity on her ATM card. She loved her dog and would have never left her alone.

by Anonymousreply 78June 9, 2021 4:32 AM

This one has always creeped me out:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 9, 2021 7:58 AM

That case at R58 is really creepy, and raises so many questions. I'd never heard of it before. It sounds like the boy who had been in the house and left felt so guilty about not staying around and maybe preventing whatever happened to Laureen happening that he killed himself, which is very sad.

I feel like nowadays there is no way someone would come home, find the door unlocked and the lightbulbs outside unscrewed and not freak out straight away.

by Anonymousreply 80June 9, 2021 11:37 AM

And by the way, for those who are interested in these types of cases, The Trail Went Cold, is a good podcast covering them.

by Anonymousreply 81June 9, 2021 11:39 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 82October 11, 2021 5:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!