Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is the best Talking Heads album?

They came out of the same Lower East Side NYC scene as Blondie, The Ramones, Television, The Dead Boys, etc. Intentionally "arty" and sometimes difficult, but often catchy and wildly experimental (with some memorable side projects). Their career lasted only ten years, including a few big hits. But they've always been considered an "album" band. What is your favorite?

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2020 10:14 PM

Don't forget The Tom Tom Club! I like them better than the Talking Heads.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 12:16 PM

David Byrne was reportedly horrible to work with. Just ask The B-52's!

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2020 12:17 PM

R2 ...or every other member of Talking Heads.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2020 12:18 PM

We watched TRUE STORIES again recently. I don't think I'd seen it since it was shown heavily on cable in the early 90's.

It's not great, but I think overall ahead of its time in its intentionally deconstructed, campy approach. David Byrne does get annoying after awhile. His manner is too affected. We loved some of the lesser known actresses of the time like Swoozie Kurtz as the rich lady, Annie McEnroe, and Jo Harvey Allen as the lying woman... she steals the show!

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2020 12:24 PM

R2 = Chris & Tina, unable to let it go

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2020 12:26 PM

R5 Hi David!

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 12:38 PM

I always loved David Byrne and Brian Eno's MY LIFE IN THE BUSH OF GHOSTS album. In a sense I've always considered it a Talking Heads record, sort of. It's so "arty 80's," with its use of samples, world beats and overall angular and disconnected sound.

I bought it as a teen in 1981 mainly because I loved the cover so much, and was already familiar with Talking Heads.

This record opened up my ears to Brian Eno, and I soon discovered his "ambient" series... another private obsession from my 80's youth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 1:07 PM

People go nuts for this song. I don’t get it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 1:19 PM

Fear of Music or remains in the light, hands down

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 1:23 PM

R8 Yeah, I hear that song everywhere. It's crossed over into "muzak" territory. I hear it at the grocery store, call on-hold music, the airport, etc.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2020 1:24 PM

I agree. Remain in Light is their masterpiece. With Fear of Music a close second. Both were challenging and experimental, but also each contained one big hit.

Remain in Light mixed electronics and world beats (unusual at the time). Those first long three songs on the album are soaring! But it also had "Once in a Lifetime," probably their signature hit an early example of 80's rock video aesthetics.

Fear of Music was more intentionally bleak and austere, but had "Life During Wartime," a funky song with serious groove that got lots of radio play.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2020 1:41 PM

R11 Gerry Todd agrees!

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2020 1:54 PM

R12 I love you! SCTV reference!

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2020 1:57 PM

I thought "Stop Making Sense" was just the live movie? It's an album? Or are we talking the soundtrack to the film?

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2020 1:57 PM

He was working with the B-52's on Mesopotamia, but they had a conflict of interest and they released it as an EP. Still a good album, though. Wonder what the problem was.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2020 1:57 PM

Remain in Light musically but its not their greatest party album and the Heads were a great party band.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2020 1:58 PM

Mesopotamia still sounds pretty good. Love Cake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2020 2:02 PM

Speaking In Tongues is a MASTERPIECE. It broke them through into stardom. MTV age helped too. "Burning Down The House"...they played that video every hour. Girlfriend Is Better? Total banger.

It all went down hill for them, creatively, after this record. The subsequent ones don't have bite.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2020 2:02 PM

The STOP MAKING SENSE live album and film was super-popular in the late 80's. It introduced their older songs to a whole new mainstream audience. "Psycho Killer" is still well-known because of this film.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2020 2:15 PM

R19 I've watched that film more times than I can count. If any of you who haven't seen STOP MAKING SENSE on the big screen get the chance (well, post-Covid), you simply must! It is such an experience. I always get choked up. It is such a life-affirming event, like a revival tent situation.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2020 2:28 PM

R11 read my mind

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2020 6:20 PM

R8: because that song is a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2020 10:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!