Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My weird, neighborhood, Owl.

So I have this strange owl in my neighborhood. I live across the street from some woods, and this thing that I believe is an owl, makes this weird sound every morning.

Please help me figure it if it is an owl.

First, it lets out this weird war cry that sounds like a loud yelp coming from a hyena, and then it immediately goes into the traditional owl sound of “whoooo-whooo”, and then it stops.

So it sounds almost hyena like with two loud crries, and then two hoots.

Is that an owl, or is it a wild cat or wild dog of some sort, that makes these weird sounds that imitate birds?

We have a feral cat that we adopted who looks like a little tiger or a bobcat, actually, and he makes similar sounds from living in the woods for the first six months of his life, when we first found him, but the difference here is that this animal I hear every morning has the lungs of an owl.

Any wisdom you bitches can impart? TIA!

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2020 8:51 PM

A rough idea of where you live would help, OP. Living in the mid-atlantic US, my guess would be Barred Owls which live all over the US east of the Mississippi. They make a huge variety of sounds, many of which aren't the "who who" people associate with owls. If you get two barred owls fighting over territory boundaries, they can sound like monkeys or hyenas. Here's a pair arguing. They make many other sounds too, give Youtube a search.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 9:37 AM

Its a owl and its delivery a letter from hogwarts

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2020 9:38 AM

You're a fucking wizard Harry

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2020 9:39 AM

Could it be a mourning dove? This is a sound I heard early every morning throughout childhood and I always thought it was an owl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2020 9:49 AM

OP likely lives in Midsomer, where owls hoot and foxes scream constantly, all night long.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2020 9:55 AM

It's an owl. Listen to these.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 9:57 AM

Try that again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 9:58 AM

Forget about my hoots and screeches, check out what's beneath my breeches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 7:49 PM

Can you post a picture of it?

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 7:52 PM

Why would you start a sentence with "So?" Are you retarded?

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2020 7:59 PM

Your weird, use of, commas.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2020 8:08 PM

R10: OP is obviously challenged and stuck somewhere in a time warp, always referring to us as "bitches" in his asinine queries.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2020 8:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!