Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Slow-Cooking Overnight

A guy I met on a dating site, who I'm already on the fence about, just told me he considers himself an "overnight cook". When I asked what he meant, he responded with a fervent spiel about the wonders of running a slow cooker through the night while one sleeps. I can't imagine waking up to the smell of some awful sludge in a Crockpot. Do any DL'ers do this?

by Anonymousreply 70October 17, 2020 11:47 AM

He's homeless and needs a place to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 3:04 AM

Considering how dumb and twatty the DL is, of course people digest meats and other ingredients in slow cookers that are no more than crockery-and-electronic versions of the gut of a hog with a fever.

Unless the "guy" is 18 (an excuse for age) and great-looking (an excuse for short-term desirability), dump him.

That slow-cooker smell is like the stink in a century-old nursing home hallway. And not just the kitchen stink.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2020 3:06 AM

If you look at comment postings on online recipes, the slow cooker and instant poct often among the most annoying. The always ask if x can be cooked in their contraption, when it's obvious that it should possible and then they have to yammer about how little time or effort was needed the could prepare a mildly complicated dish. The only people who are worse are the regionalists (usually Southerners) who claim that something with obvious European roots was invented in their little hamlet.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2020 3:14 AM

The things that rile DL often amuse me deeply.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2020 3:39 AM

"I can't imagine waking up to the smell of some awful sludge in a Crockpot."

Like Queen Dido, you will die unloved and unfulfilled.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2020 3:43 AM

You need that long if you're planning to cook cassoulet. I know people who leave a crockpot cooking all day while they're at work, but I'm not willing to take that risk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 3:50 AM

Steel cut oats overnight are ready yummy in the AM..low temp gurls

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 4:09 AM

Cuppa cuppa cuppa!

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 4:12 AM

I’d only throw it in in the morning and let it go all day. I don’t like waking up to food smells. Sometimes when I make a beef stew, the smell is heavenly to come home to. But the next morning, if it’s still lingering, it’s unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 7:38 AM

I do slow cooked food for my old dogs sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2020 8:55 AM

Agreed, OP. If I overhear someone talking about their crockpot/slow-cooking deliciousness, it always puts me off food for a bit.

I never much went in for that busy frau meets old dirty hippy way of thinking on cooking: just throw it all in a pot and cook it down until it's sludge.

"It's even better the next day after the bacteria having really made of mash of your already broken down glop."

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2020 11:52 AM

I've had one sitting in a cabinet for years and years and years. I've never felt compelled to use it. If I have to move before I die, I imagine I will leave it here. I should put the also-never-used cookbook on the shelf on top of it.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2020 11:58 AM

I love making stock in my slow cooker. 18-24 hours... mmmm. Good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2020 12:02 PM

When I used mine at my old house, I usually put it outside on my screened porch. No pesky cooking smells permeating my house.

Haven't used it at this house, but I'd probably wait for a clear day and use it on my patio where there's an outlet.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2020 12:12 PM

I use mine for making bone meal, and meat jello for my dogs. I cook chicken quarters, pig, and cow trotters for 14 hours. Pick off all the meat, and fat and set it aside. I then mash the bones into a marrow/bone paste. I then add all the meat, bone meal, and broth back into a bowl and let it chill. I give them big scoops of it in their meals. I wont make it in the house because it stinks to high heaven, so I make it in the garage.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2020 12:18 PM

I use it all the time. It works especially well with Cambodians.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2020 12:21 PM

I thought you ate it raw, Jeffrey.

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2020 12:31 PM

I love making a good crock pot roast in the fall and winter. I've found it turns out best when it's cooked on the lower speed, for the longest time (8 hours).

If I want it ready for dinner time this means even if I have it ready to begin cooking at noon, it's still won't be ready until 8 or 9 (it needs to 'sit' for a while after done cooking). Too late. So begin earlier?

I find prepping, chopping, spicing and doing all the things that make cooking such an enjoyable experience just AREN'T happening for me in the morning. I'm not a morning person and never was, never will be.

For me, it's better to actually prep the whole thing the evening or afternoon before, when my mind and heart are really in it. I just enjoy it more. Then turn it on that night and let it cook through the night, and kept on "warm" through the first half of the next day to really settle and let the flavors kick in. The smell of the meat that one night is pleasant but I can see how someone might not like it first thing when they wake up. For me, this is the right way to do it.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2020 12:38 PM

Possibly the nicest compliment one could hope for: "Your house doesn't smell like beef vegetable soup."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2020 12:42 PM

I bet this wouldn't be too bad to wake up to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2020 12:44 PM

Crockpot s are a certain sign that one has given up trying to extricate himself from the gutter and has embraced the middle class. I should not care, but it is always sad to see a man simply give up.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2020 12:48 PM

Since there is a current thread on lasagna, I thought I’d share this. It only has to cook for 5 hours, and the prep work is EASY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2020 12:52 PM

Jeffrey Dahmer complained about this too.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2020 12:54 PM

If you cook stock too long it begins to lose flavour.

Fish stock is only a half hour, chicken stock should take no more than four hours. Beef and pork stock can take a while though but definitely not 18 hours.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2020 12:55 PM

[quote]—Depends on the size and thickness of the bones.

Oh, yes, it does!!!

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2020 12:57 PM

What would he make overnight other than oats or some kind of breakfast food? If he's making full dinners overnight, I'd ask why, just out of morbid curiosity.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2020 1:17 PM

Burn it, BABY

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2020 1:18 PM

[quote]If you cook stock too long it begins to lose flavour.

How does that work? Do the bones decide "enough!" and start leeching the flavor back in?

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2020 2:02 PM

I usually cook my chicken stock for 8 hours, when it turns a lovely dark tan color, it's done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2020 2:15 PM

R26, he doesn't make oats or breakfast foods overnight. That wouldn't be so bad, I guess. He makes chili and dump recipes. Making it worse, he lives in a studio. His entire apartment and its contents must reek of beef and onions.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2020 2:34 PM

He sounds thoroughly unfuckable.

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2020 3:39 PM

Doing this occasionally? Fine. Doing it so often that one chooses to use a cutesy phrase like “overnight cook” to describe this practice? His place must reek.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2020 3:43 PM

I set my breadmaker to finish in the morning and the smell is delicious as wake up to. I can't imagine waking up to meat, onions and garlic wafting all through the house that early. I would simply die!

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2020 3:44 PM

I wouldn't be able to sleep if the house smelled like a dump something-or-other and I can't stand leftovers (except soups or stews) so I wouldn't just walk away from this gentleman, I would run, as far and as fast as I could.

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2020 3:47 PM

[quote]I can't stand leftovers

Why not, r34?

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2020 3:48 PM

Why don’t you give him a surprise rim job to find out if you like what he’s cooking?

by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2020 3:51 PM

I use my slow cooker all night sometimes if I need to cook something to take to an early thing. Wake up and the house smells great and the roast is perfect and juicy tender.

by Anonymousreply 37October 16, 2020 3:55 PM

Ah yes, those times when one needs an early-morning five-pound roast.

by Anonymousreply 38October 16, 2020 3:59 PM

I once met a Grindr trick at his house and he had a Cathy Mitchell "Dump Cake" going in the oven. While we had our liaison the whole house smelled like powdered cake mix, canned cherry pie filling, and Sprite. I mean, really.

by Anonymousreply 39October 16, 2020 3:59 PM

You persnickety people with these odor aversions are not getting laid.

by Anonymousreply 40October 16, 2020 4:01 PM

It's happened R38.

by Anonymousreply 41October 16, 2020 4:01 PM

R38 Did somebody call me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 16, 2020 4:03 PM

There is a thin line between fancy and fussy.

by Anonymousreply 43October 16, 2020 4:21 PM

I love my crockpot and I love making things over night. I work from home (even before the pandemic) and I like crockpot pea soup for lunch. It's really cheap and easy and during COVID I didn't have to leave the house. I make a lot of bean soups and the like. I haven't really loved it for meatloaf and lasagna, though. Best for soups and chili. Very convenient! Not sure what the outrage is about here.

by Anonymousreply 44October 16, 2020 4:24 PM

Pure fussiness R44. I'd love to wake up to the smell of your pea soup, it's one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 45October 16, 2020 4:27 PM

I have a crock pot but nothing ever takes longer than 4 hours in it. Overnight and I'd have either a fire in my kitchen, or a crock full of cement.

by Anonymousreply 46October 16, 2020 4:29 PM

Even on low R46?

by Anonymousreply 47October 16, 2020 4:32 PM

I often slow cook one of my lover's loads in my ass overnight. He's got a really long dick.

by Anonymousreply 48October 16, 2020 4:34 PM

R46 Certain things have a better taste and texture when cooked on low heat for really long (like 8 hours). Particularly meats.

by Anonymousreply 49October 16, 2020 4:34 PM

I think it's just a poorly made crock because even on low, everything I've cooked in it is done after 4 hours.

My mother had one of these (the big orange one) in the 1970s and I honestly don't remember how long it took for foods to cook in it. She made a lot of meatballs this way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 16, 2020 4:45 PM

I'm glad you can cybertaste mine, R24.

by Anonymousreply 51October 16, 2020 7:31 PM

I have the little one R50 and very occasionally make chicken and dumplings in it, using canned cream of chicken soup along with chicken, carrots, parsley, onions and canned biscuits.

by Anonymousreply 52October 16, 2020 8:04 PM

I love using a slow cooker, though I can cook well in traditional methods. The disdain so many hold them in is amusing to me. I have a vintage 70s cooker with a heavy glass lid. There's no overwhelming cooking smell emanating from it. My kitchen also has a door, which I keep closed when I'm not using it.

Some of you must he terrible cooks if your dishes smell so unpleasant! Crack a window, or put the fan to your furnace up and leave it running. I would be pleased and grateful the bloke cooks for himself.

by Anonymousreply 53October 16, 2020 8:13 PM

[quote]I think it's just a poorly made crock pot.

One thing you don't want in this world is a poorly made crock pot.

by Anonymousreply 54October 16, 2020 8:54 PM

[quote] How does that work? Do the bones decide "enough!" and start leeching the flavor back in?

I think the esters or molecules start to break down or something.

by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2020 9:02 PM

I was thinking that same thing R54.

by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2020 9:19 PM

Anyone got a recipe for slow cooker cak and graxy?

by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2020 10:18 PM

R20 - I've made that breakfast/egg/casserole thing and it turned out pretty good. With all the things you put in it, you don't need a bunch of sides or other things to eat. All the fixins are already in it. Mother liked it also.

by Anonymousreply 58October 16, 2020 10:45 PM

Prisspots whining about crockpots, oh my.

by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2020 10:57 PM

I would be afraid about starting a fire if I left something on either overnight or while I was out of the house. Not rational, I suppose, but it's a phobia of mine.

I live in a high rise and I once put a stew in a very slow oven for several hours, and went across the street to the movies. I couldn't concentrate on the movie because I was convinced I'd come home to the towering inferno.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2020 11:21 PM

stealth dutch oven thread

by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2020 11:27 PM

[quote]My kitchen also has a door, which I keep closed when I'm not using it.

That's usually what doors are for.

by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2020 11:31 PM

If u give “massages” (wink, wink) keep your Lyon warm in a crock pot..not high..I knew a “therapist” who left red marks on a guy’s back with that.

by Anonymousreply 63October 17, 2020 12:06 AM

^ lotion warm not lyon

by Anonymousreply 64October 17, 2020 12:07 AM

I just made a delicious Sausage Ragu in my slow-cooker (not overnight!) Quite simple -- saute onions, fennel and garlic. Add some tomato paste and cook for a few minutes. Dump it all into the slow cooker. Add a two pounds of Italian sausage (recipe called for hot; I used half hot and half regular), a can of crushed tomatoes and a large can of tomato sauce. A little salt and pepper. 8-10 hours on low. Break up the meat with a potato masher, skim off the fat, and you're good to go. Freezes beautifully, too.

I was surprised how flavorful it was considering there were no traditional herbs like basil or oregano added, but I guess the sausage helps a lot in that department.

by Anonymousreply 65October 17, 2020 2:00 AM

[quote]I do slow cooked food for my old dogs sometimes.

I slow cook my old dogs sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 66October 17, 2020 7:40 AM

Just dump and slow cook!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 17, 2020 7:45 AM

R62 I see my little autistic troll is cunting again! Good job there, showing off you know what a door is, and how it works!

Obviously the non-autistic posters here bothered so very much by the smell of food cooking, either don't have doors to close, (a rare thing for MANY kitchens I've discovered since living in the US) or they're simply not as smart as you! Perhaps it never occurs to them to close the door. You do always focus on the important things love! Yes, always reading between the lines and thinking too hard. Go take a break from reading now, you deserve it!

by Anonymousreply 68October 17, 2020 9:14 AM

I really only make pot roast in my slow cooker. Great comfort food on cold winter days. I start it at about 10 am and it's ready by 6 pm. I've also made chicken wings in the slow cooker but I prefer to oven bake them most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 69October 17, 2020 9:58 AM

Yes R14, that makes perfect sense - slow cooking at a low temperature outside in the cold. Good gawd.

by Anonymousreply 70October 17, 2020 11:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!