Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why are Americans so obsessed with having perfect teeth

We force our kids to have braces to "correct" our teeth and we obsess over tooth whitening and veneers.

And we'll are bombarded with images on social media of doctors promising to correct our smiles.

I can think of no other country on earth so obsessed with "perfect teeth"....

by Anonymousreply 90October 23, 2020 3:36 AM

$$$$

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2020 11:51 PM

Its always easy to spot the Americans when they open their mouths

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2020 11:53 PM

Americans will latch on to anything to avoid developing actual personalities.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2020 11:54 PM

Yep, money. Knock down someone’s self-esteem, make them feel worthless, and then offer to sell them self-worth.

It’s also why we are so full of contempt for one another. We feel either superior or inferior and we look down on or resent everyone for these perceived differences in value.

Our culture is sick.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2020 11:54 PM

James Brown said a man has to have good hair and good teeth. Period. Everything else is secondary.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2020 11:55 PM

[quote]James Brown said a man has to have good hair and good teeth. Period. Everything else is secondary.

Nonsense. Total misquote.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2020 11:59 PM

It’s a middle-class thing.

People with a buttload of money don’t have to impress anyone.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2020 11:59 PM

Because they can usually be improved. Just as with unsightly facial moles. I'm grateful that my Mom made sure my teeth were taken care of.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 12:00 AM

Stealth Brit post

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 12:00 AM

Whatever, OP.

I've spent well over $175,000 on my mouth and it's the best money I've ever spent. I wore braces for over three years, then had upper and lower orthognathic jaw surgery. After the jaw surgery I did another stint in braces, this time for only twelve months, then the braces came off and I had veneers placed on the uppers and zirconia crowns on the bottoms. As someone who grew up with bad teeth, I can tell you that there's nothing more satisfying than being able to throw your head back and laugh your ass off when someone says something that strikes you funny.

I have perfect teeth now (and the rest of me ain't bad either), so I couldn't be happier.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2020 12:00 AM

R10 that sounds absolutely awful. You spent four years as adult with a speech impediment and a mouthful of wires painfully rearranging your face. And then covered all the agony up with fake teeth.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2020 12:04 AM

weird I was just thinking about my teeth a few hours ago - my orthodontist took so long it went on and on - my lower teeth were never straightened because I gave up. He needed to take a few out. But he never did. Anyway, I don't show my lower teeth when I smile. I don't admire people who do and I don't flash my teeth every time someone takes a photo of me, like an American. But they do bug me.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2020 12:08 AM

R11 One man’s horror is another man’s feeling of superiority.

I share your horror, but he is clearly beaming with pride. Wow, his dentist must fucking love him for dishing out $175,000 so far.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2020 12:09 AM

American people who have ‘perfect’ big white Chicklets on top often have gnarled bottom teeth. Even people on television. It’s ridiculous and when I noticed it I suddenly felt fine about my less-than-perfect teeth. I have a crooked top tooth but otherwise all my teeth are straighter than the bottom teeth of so many people who have obviously had so many surgical interventions.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2020 12:12 AM

I had braces as a college kid when I had more money and paid for it myself, and had a permanent retainer for over a decade. My teeth seemed to "settle" I guess, as they've been great ever since. NEVER in my life will I ever consider veneers though. The way they shave down your actual teeth freaks me out.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2020 12:13 AM

OP wears dentures.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2020 12:16 AM

Ugly teeth make a face look ugly

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2020 12:18 AM

Not at all, R11. You've clearly never worn braces because there was no speech impediment. Yes, the surgery was painful but I'd do it again a hundred times over. About two months after it, when all the swelling went down, I looked in the mirror one day and suddenly realized that I was hot! The jaw surgery had changed my looks dramatically.

I started the journey at eighteen and by the time I was twenty-three I had perfect teeth and jaw placement. People were constantly telling me that I should "go into the movies" or "be a model," and my self esteem went through the roof and I started lifting weights. Now, at 32, I'm an attorney with a thriving private practice and couldn't be happier. Judge me all you like, but I don't think I would've had the confidence to do those things had a not been able to have my teeth fixed.

R15, You may be thinking of crowns. For veneers, they don't change the shape of your tooth; they only remove a small mount of the enamel so that the veneers will adhere.

R13, the $175,000 was split between the orthodontist, surgeon and hospital so it didn't go into any one person's pocket.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2020 12:18 AM

[quote]Why are Americans so obsessed with having perfect teeth

Two reasons: it looks better and your breath is not as likely to stink.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2020 12:20 AM

R18 is typing from a Russian gulag

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2020 12:20 AM

R10 My mother grew up in poverty, with no dental care. She would self consciously hide her mouth when smiling or laughing.

Eventually she gave up on trying to save her teeth and got dentures. My family did not have the resources for over $100k in dental work.

It was lovely watching her smile and laugh openly. I don't take it for granted one bit.

While I don't think it's necessary for everyone to strive for perfection, I can understand why many are willing to sacrifice so they can smile freely.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2020 12:21 AM

R18 Well the dentist did a great job. Big white fake chompers make everyone gorgeous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2020 12:22 AM

I'm originally from the UK but had braces as a teen in the seventies. There is a commercial here in the US for Direct Smile Club (seems scammy) where a little girl is literally sobbing because I guess her parents surprised her by getting her braces. It broke my fucking heart to even watch that, I mean she was fucking sobbing ffs. I notice it hasn't been on in a while so they probably pulled it.

Straight teeth are nice, but your mental health shouldn't fucking depend on it.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2020 12:23 AM

Even people with perfect teeth die someday and continue to be irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2020 12:23 AM

R22 - whoever did Ivanka's rabbit chompers needs to have their license revoked. Now THOSE make her sounds like she has a speech impediment. Even Melania sounds better.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2020 12:24 AM

Afraid not, R20. I'm typing from a condo in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2020 12:24 AM

This is another reason why the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" philosophy is deeply flawed.

Those who don't have dental care growing up enter adulthood with gingivitis and often have orthodontic issues that would have been corrected by families with the means to do so.

I have impoverished family, and I can tell you that they don't get hired for customer facing jobs when they are 17 and have bleeding gums.

Of course, they can join the military and have the teeth pulled by the government, so they can enjoy poorly fit dentures at age 18.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2020 12:24 AM

My teeth were getting worse as I got older. I had reverse buck teeth. At age 50, I got Invisalign for a year, and I am thrilled with the result. It was worth every penny. I also didn’t realize that all my teeth were slanted slightly inward. I can see the difference in my brothers teeth, as his are like mine were.

I have friends and acquaintances with missing teeth, and no means to pay to fix it. They might think that a missing tooth in the side isn’t visa kemp, but it is, and it’s not a great look.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2020 12:26 AM

R26, Boston, Moscow, Quebec, same personalities. I’ve yet to meet a single person who lives in or is from Boston who isn’t a raging asshole. Not one.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2020 12:26 AM

Perfect teeth represent wealth, class, good oral hygiene, and good breath in the USA. We make fun of the English and Aussies that have fucked up mouths. The poor countries (like Africa) doesn’t matter because they can’t afford it anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2020 12:28 AM

Well, consider me the first, R29, because I'm constantly being told I'm too nice.

Unless I'm in court. Then I am indeed an absolutely raging asshole.

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2020 12:29 AM

[quote] People with a buttload of money don’t have to impress anyone.

I was born into wealth and you're wrong. This is just a silly idea the middle class have of the rich elite.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2020 12:29 AM

I always thought Freddie Mercury's teeth gave his face a unique "belle chaude" cuteness. Sometimes a small flaw can be adorable, but it all depends on how you wear it.

Lauren Hutton is another example where her gapped teeth were cute and made her a more "natural" beauty.

We are too obsessed with what advertisers and pop culture tell us. If you have issues like some of the posters here said they suffered from (surgery, a life of poverty that led to poor teeth, etc.), it is obviously desirable to get your teeth fixed.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2020 12:30 AM

Because they look really nice? What's wrong with looking one's best?

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2020 12:31 AM

[quote]Freddie Mercury's teeth gave his face a unique "belle chaude" cuteness

Never heard belle chaude before - what do you mean? - beautiful and warm?

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2020 12:33 AM

Tori Amos had big, unusual teeth that were really endearing. I never realized how much a part of her personality they were until she had them all replaced with perfectly uniform veneers or implants. Her fans are really bummed by the change.

In her case, she has had a major jaw problem that causes her a lot of pain and supposedly that was related to her need to “fix” her teeth. But the real ones had so much more charm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2020 12:36 AM

When your teeth are aligned, your bite is better and you have a better chance of keeping your teeth. That's what orthodontists claim anyway. Braces are not purely cosmetic.

Boston lawyer, good for you! Don't listen to the naysayers. It's your money and it sounds like you got a great return on your investment.

by Anonymousreply 37October 16, 2020 12:38 AM

Braces were one of the first things I paid for with my first real job. My shitty parents wouldn't get them for me and I was in pain. It's one of the best investments I made.

by Anonymousreply 38October 16, 2020 12:44 AM

Suze Orman owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 39October 16, 2020 12:50 AM

Because bad teeth are disgusting, op.

by Anonymousreply 40October 16, 2020 12:56 AM

R35 - look at definitions 5 and 6...meant to refer to someone pretty AND with a certain warmth about them. I find a lot of the ultra-chiseled, insanely tweaked and plucked guys that are so popular in the gay world cold and dead-eyed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 16, 2020 12:58 AM

Why wouldn’t anyone want to look as good as they can?

And R4, I’ve lived in 7 countries and can tell you that the culture you’re describing is certainly not limited to the US. It’s pretty much universal.

by Anonymousreply 42October 16, 2020 1:03 AM

[quote]Yep, money. Knock down someone’s self-esteem, make them feel worthless, and then offer to sell them self-worth.

So true. When their healthcare is so deeply commercialized, everything on their bodies is money. Since the boys are born, circumcision makes money. Every day in their lives will be diagnosed and every symptom will be prescribed.

The Americans don't get so obese and depressed naturally, this I can tell you.

by Anonymousreply 43October 16, 2020 1:05 AM

Because crooked teeth are ugly?

Not rocket science folks.

by Anonymousreply 44October 16, 2020 1:06 AM

If wearing face mask made some money, American fattards would wear it 100% 24/7!!!! The country is obsessed about money.

by Anonymousreply 45October 16, 2020 1:07 AM

R45 - just like you and every other country is obsessed with the USA. Everyone wants to be us.

by Anonymousreply 46October 16, 2020 1:10 AM

I notice a lot of Brits with veneers lately. Are they all rich or is it included in free medical?

by Anonymousreply 47October 16, 2020 1:14 AM

$175,000 R10! That's just ridiculously insane.

Oh dear R46.

by Anonymousreply 48October 16, 2020 1:14 AM

Also from R46's posting history:

[quote]Is anybody else secretly voting for Trump? I’d never admit it, but I’m voting Trump. Biden is just weak, and I can’t stand Kamala. I have a feeling there’s many more “silent majority” out there like me. I never expected this to happen (I despised him last year) but I’m not down with rioting and destroying our urban areas and police.

Sure Jan. Everybody wants to be you R46...

by Anonymousreply 49October 16, 2020 1:17 AM

[quote]Everyone wants to be us.

Nobody wants to be obese and diabetic like you, old fat fart, it's the American media who try to "foist" the stupid American trends upon the world. I'm glad now that COVID has made America look fat, stupid and ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 50October 16, 2020 1:19 AM

R50 - Really? Why do so many people from all over the world aspire to immigrate here? Even if you can’t admit it, you’re jealous of everything that is the United States Of America 🇺🇸

by Anonymousreply 51October 16, 2020 1:22 AM

A dentist didn’t like my mother’s squirming, so she relates that he killed the nerves to her teeth, blackening them. She thereafter smiled with a closed mouth, like the Mona Lisa.

My sister in law got braces, and the dentist tightened them too quickly, and they all fell out, poor gal.

I’ve heard in some places, like Ireland, people go to the dentist in their early 20s to get all their teeth pulled, and get nice new dentures.

I’m happy to have all my teeth, though I’ve got a lot of silver.

by Anonymousreply 52October 16, 2020 1:24 AM

[quote]It’s a middle-class thing.

[quote]People with a buttload of money don’t have to impress anyone.

Yet another DLer who is stuck in his WASP fantasy world from decades ago.

Everybody with any money gets their teeth done these days.

by Anonymousreply 53October 16, 2020 1:46 AM

Jacked up teeth are ugly and make you look British. Americans do not want to look like a homely Brit, of that you can be certain.

by Anonymousreply 54October 16, 2020 3:22 AM

I love Brits, but God do they think everything about them is superior.

by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2020 3:32 AM

American teeth look ridiculous and unnatural.

by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2020 3:39 AM

Google harry kane, his teeth and mouth is fucked up. You can barely understand what he says. He's a soccer player for england.

by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2020 3:42 AM

When I got Invisalign, the only downside was I kept biting my tough and inside cheek, up that was temporary until I got used to my new alignment. I guess the cost was also a downside, but I knew that from the start.

by Anonymousreply 58October 16, 2020 3:51 AM

They have nothing else to live for.

by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2020 3:51 AM

It's partly cosmetic but the alignment of your teeth also affects the alignment of your jaw. If your jaw isn't aligned it can cause a lot of problems, causing pain and other issues. Also taking care of ones teeth, getting regular cleanings keeps the gums healthy. Unhealthy gums can lead to other health problems including heart problems.

by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2020 3:56 AM

The key to having perfect teeth is that they still look natural. You can get work done where it looks great but doesn’t look like blinding white chiclets.

by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2020 3:58 AM

[quote] You can get work done where it looks great but doesn’t look like blinding white chiclets.

I had veneers put in as my work is client facing. Best investment ever. It is a little unsettling halfway through the process. Also, a dentist should have a number of veneer shades to recommend. Mine specifically advised against ultra white teeth.

by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2020 4:13 AM

What about laminates as opposed to veneers? I think that would be a better option for people who don't want their teeth ground down, but how long do laminates last?

by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2020 4:24 AM

Laminates can be prone to show the cement holding it to the tooth because they are so thin. To be clear, I read that when comparing laminates to veneers. I don't know if it's true or not but I liked the veneers better after comparing the two. I'm sure there are people that are happy with their laminates.

by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2020 4:33 AM

R43 - yes we do bitch. We have to drive long distances, we have shit in our food, we have to worry about losing health care if we lose our jobs...how can you judge if you haven't lived in the US? Romanians are skinny and stress free. Why? No crap in the food and apartments free and clear from the days of communism and no worry about health care despite it being less advanced than in the US. They also consider a 20 minute drive a lot. Same with my roommate's cousin's British husband. He thinks a 30 minute drive to work is long and that the 22 paid vacation days here are too little. Europeans can't even begin to know how US life can be.

by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2020 8:58 AM

R65 here. I also don't understand why Brits have such contempt for Americans...at English speaking clubs, I don't even go because it is full of Brits and Canadians who do nothing but denigrate Americans while Eastern Europeans speak with admiration for American democracy. I mean, c'mon, at least be slender and good looking like the locals before denigrating America.

by Anonymousreply 66October 16, 2020 9:03 AM

R51 substantiating links, please, not your own obese, febrile imagination. The projection here is your own envy of our lean, youthful bodies, you fat, old MAGA ho R51 + R46. hahahahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 67October 16, 2020 9:47 AM

R33 "Belle chaude" doesn't mean anything in French. In fact "hot" in French "chaud" is never used in French as it is used in English. We don't say "chaud", We'd rather say: beau, séduisant, attirant, sublime, attrayant, sexy, charmant, ravissant...Or "bandant" (don't know the word in english) but it's when you can get hard just by someone else look. Baisable (fuckable). Also, Belle is feminine not masculine. We say belle for women. "Chaud" is used for hot water, or when it's summer etc...

by Anonymousreply 68October 16, 2020 10:02 AM

It is interesting how fake-looking "perfect" teeth have become more common and may be on their way to the new normal.

I watched Groundhog Day recently and was surprised by the dingy, ie normal, teeth of top model Andie McDowell. And Bill Murray's teeth were kinda gross.

I've thought about getting some cosmetic dentistry myself, but it seems like a lot to spend on vanity.

by Anonymousreply 69October 16, 2020 10:34 AM

I don't think its just about money and bad things.

Clean white healthy straight teeth are very attractive. Healthy teeth are nice to live with. Kids getting regular dentistry and orthodonty are encouraged to keep healthy teeth and often this lasts well into old age. A big change from earlier generations who had to have fake teeth.

It can go overboard into blinding chiclets but that's only a minority.

by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2020 10:45 AM

Look at Brits in the older generations, with their horrible teeth. Look at them now. There is your answer.

by Anonymousreply 71October 16, 2020 12:16 PM

Yes these are beautiful, perfect teeth without being distracting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2020 2:31 PM

R68 It sounds like he meant beau laid.

by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2020 2:42 PM

some rich english cunts have rotting teeth...

it's not a money issue.

by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2020 3:09 PM

Can we please start banning IP addresses from the UK? Sure, some may be able to get around the ban by using VPN, but most of them would disappear.

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2020 3:27 PM

Looks matter. Period. Full stop. For jobs, mates, getting good restaurant service, etc.

I had braces for 1.5yrs, they were off by 10th grade. My teeth were just crooked, no over/underbite, so it was relatively cheap and painless. My parents were definitely middle or even lower-middle class, but my mom got it done for me and I AM SO GRATEFUL.

I'm maybe a little above average-looking (have all my hair, reasonably fit for my age), and I KNOW the teeth contribute to it. With crooked teeth, I might go from a 7 down to a 5.

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2020 3:34 PM

Can't be an A-Gay in 21st century America without a set of blindly white teeth, OP! They won't let you into the club without them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2020 3:42 PM

It’s obvious that good dental hygiene is important for every aspect of one’s life. I am somewhat fascinated by Americans’ obsession with a “perfect” smile — interpreted in the US as 32 perfectly formed, blindingly white teeth. Healthy does not always mean beauty-pageant standard, cosmetically-enhanced teeth. Genetics are a big part of it, and if you’re saddled with a poor dysfunctional upbringing (like my spouse) you’ll suffer for years because of it. The hardest part to get him to get help was the immovable shame he felt. It broke my heart. It just so happens that whatever he eats I can smell, but it’s not offensive. And his teeth and gums are healthy.

Americans also have this weird sensitivity to bad breath. I worked with this woman who would denounce anyone whose breath she could smell — whether benign or offensive — as having bad breath and they she see a dentist. Total menace. We should be better than that.

by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2020 3:56 PM

I had braces and now my teeth are crooked again. They also left white marks on the front.

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2020 4:10 PM

I had perfect teeth after braces for 30 years but then they started to move so I'm about to get braces again.

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2020 4:15 PM

[quote] The poor countries (like Africa)

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2020 4:24 PM

I feel like Americans have a tendency to push everything that's initially a good idea to the extreme until it gets weird. As many have pointed out there's a difference between dental health and cosmetics. Braces don't just exist to make your teeth look pretty, a good alignment is important to prevent uneven wear and tear and tooth decay in certain places. Also dental hygiene, healthy gums and normal jaws are important for your overall health (e.g. digestive health, heart health, immune system etc.).

So yeah, having good, nice teeth is a sign of overall health and therefore attractive. Who wouldn't want that? However I still don't understand the obsession with huge, blindlingly (unnatural) white teeth/veneers that take away any individuality in your smile and just look fake. If your natural teeth were so decayed and fucked up that this was the only remaining option, okay. But then it's not exactly a sign of a healthy lifestyle in the first place. Beautiful and cared for, but still natural looking teeth will always win over this for me.

by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2020 5:13 PM

My mother refused to pay for my braces because I "didn't deserve them." But she happily paid for my brother's even though he never brushed his teeth. He's in his late-30s, and while he has his teeth, they are chipped and brown.

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2020 5:40 PM

r83 was you mother a narcissist? Sounds like your brother was "the golden child"

by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2020 6:11 PM

R68 - I gave you the definition in R33. I have heard it before. I think R73 means jolie laide. In any case, it is probably a regionally diverse way to refer to someone who is warm and attractive despite not fitting societal norms. I think jolie laide is for females if I am not mistaken?

by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2020 10:08 PM

Having giant glowing bluish white fake denture like veneers are trashy, too. Whenever people have veneers and turn in profile they look like Simpsons characters.

by Anonymousreply 86October 17, 2020 12:40 AM

Block UK posters. They're annoying and add nothing to DL.

by Anonymousreply 87October 19, 2020 2:55 AM

One of the best investments you can make is getting sealants on your molars. Got them on my teeth as a kid and have never had a cavity.

Also, the Oral-B 8000 is amazing! It's like getting a professional teeth cleaning every time you brush.

by Anonymousreply 88October 19, 2020 3:22 AM

I knocked my front teeth out in an accident, and got implants. The doc suggested getting a full set of veneers in bright white. I said no thanks, and told him to match the implants to the other teeth (not bright white). I don’t like the chicklet look.

by Anonymousreply 89October 19, 2020 3:36 AM

There's something sick about people who obsess over teeth, hair, their chin, their profile, their body, appearance in general. Yes if you have an extreme deformity or health issue get it corrected. But these levels of physical perfection that people are now being forced to live up to are probably causing depression, frustration, and shame. Literally, we have teenagers who feel they have to lift weights 6 days a week, get tons of dental work they don't need to get blindingly white, unnaturally 'perfect' teeth, lip fillers, plastic surgery. Boys get their eyebrows waxed. Dye their hair. Buy expensive necklaces, earrings, clothes and watches. Shave their bodies. Talk their parents into letting themselves get tattooed. Starve themselves to get a six pack. Vanity is considered a good thing now. Something to be proud of.

by Anonymousreply 90October 23, 2020 3:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!