Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

GOP’s Sen. Sasse says Trump mistreats women, flirts with white supremacy and secretly mocks evangelicals

[italic] Sen. Ben Sasse eviscerated President Trump during a phone call with constituents in which the Nebraska Republican accused the president of cozying up to dictators, mistreating women, flirting with white supremacists and irresponsibly handling the coronavirus pandemic.

Sasse’s comments were disclosed by the Washington Examiner, which obtained an audio recording of the call, a campaign telephone townhall with Nebraska voters. Sasse’s spokesman verified that the reporting was accurate, but declined to answer more specific questions such as when the call happened....

“RINO Ben Sasse, who needed my support and endorsement in order to get the Republican nomination for Senate from the GREAT State of Nebraska, has, now that he’s got it (Thank you President T), gone rogue, again. This foolishness plays right into the hands of the Radical Left Dems!” Trump tweeted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181November 20, 2020 3:47 PM

Ben Sasse actually did a decent job interviewing Coney Barrett.

Plus, he's kind of cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2020 8:58 PM

Tom Cotton wants Ben Sasse in him, quite deeply.

Here he is checking out Sassy's package.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2020 8:59 PM

Sasse wastes no opportunity to hint that Trump is crazy. "Mad" occurs inordinately often in his tweets and comments about DJT.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2020 8:59 PM

And McTurtle give him the middle finger on his 'big' stimulus.

I guess they can read the polls.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2020 9:01 PM

And yet he does Trump’s bidding without fail. Can’t he just take his clothes off and keep his mouth shut?

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2020 9:01 PM

How disturbing that the Republicans don't even allow any internal, dissenting opinions against their King Trump!

This from the same party whose constituents are always whining about free speech and others not allowing their differing opinions. Biggest hive-mind sheeple of them all!

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2020 9:06 PM

This is brand new information, Mr. Sasse!!

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2020 9:09 PM

And yet he still lacks the integrity to say it loud and proud because indecency being called out loses you votes in "real 'muricah." Trashy people.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2020 9:10 PM

Whoops, try again from R2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2020 9:11 PM

nice legs

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2020 9:12 PM

Hes pandering...if he hates Trumps rhetoric and policies so much, why does he always vote for the things Trump wants, the people Trump hires, and even for Trump in the impeachment. Hes a phony.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2020 9:17 PM

Why is Sasse dressed like a teenage boy circa 1996 at R9?

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2020 9:51 PM

Sassy is positioning himself to run in 2024 as the alternative to Trumpism and if he gets the GOP nod to appeal beyond the GOP. He votes with Trump so not to anger Republicans back in Nebraska. That explains the seemingly contradictory behavior.

I think Sassy converted to a conservative type of Presbyterianism out of a conservative Lutheranism. He's pretty Christian or maybe a pretty Christian.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2020 9:57 PM

R12, cause emotionally he is a teenage boy circa 1996, a conservative teenage boy from the Plains.

And to show off his sexy legs.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2020 9:59 PM

We could do far, far worse if someone other than Sasse is the future of the post-Trump GOP. Alas, it would never happen.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2020 10:00 PM

[quote] Sassy is positioning himself to run in 2024 as the alternative to Trumpism a

In order to position himself as an alternative to Trump maybe he could actually try to, ya know, not vote lockstep with Trump all of the time?

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2020 10:04 PM

No, he just has to say stuff contrary to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2020 10:05 PM

I actually worked with Sasse on a policy initiative through were I work several years ago. Yes, he is conservative Republican but he had bipartisan leanings and a sense of fairplay on a range of issues both domestic and international. He is closer to Romney in that respect. I am disappointed with his voting record and lack of pushback, but I always knew he privately was disgusted with Trump's actions as a human being.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2020 10:07 PM

[quote]Why is Sasse dressed like a teenage boy circa 1996 at [R9]?

He was trying to get the Senatrice to vote for one of his bills.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2020 10:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2020 10:07 PM

R17, so in other words, he's just another Republican coward full of bullshit just like all of the other the so-called 'bipartisan' Refucks -- Collins, Murkowski, Romney.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2020 10:07 PM

Sasse just talks and writes about abstract bipartisanship without doing a thing. If he voted to hold off on this nomination, he would stop it. That would do a massive amount to heal partisan polarity. He won’t.

In contrast, Democrats have consistently reached across the aisle only to get their limbs ripped off.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2020 10:23 PM

Sasse Ben is by far the biggest threat to whomever runs in 2024. If you read his book or listen to him for any length of time you can tell he's bright, polished, and hungry. He will run from the 'middle of the right' and reminds me of Mayor Pete! in how he articulates his arguments. Right now he's just enough outside the T Rump orbit to claim he opposed him -in many regards -when 2024 rolls around. Americans have short memories and like shiny new things so I expect he will be a hit. Fair warning!

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2020 10:28 PM

**SLURP***

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2020 10:34 PM

[quote] and reminds me of Mayor Pete! in how he articulates his arguments.

He is nowhere near as sharp, as quick, or as intelligent as Pete.

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2020 10:34 PM

Sasse is also up for reelection next year and does not want to get kneecapped by some Trumpist. He wants to win so he will be well positioned for 2024.

He is likely betting that a Biden administration will feature a good deal of strife between the progressives and the moderates.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2020 10:35 PM

Sasse is famous for saying "I think about leaving the GOP every morning when I wake up," thinking we couldn't hear him saying that every morning he recommits to a degraded authoritarian mob despite knowing what it is. He wants to get by on lip service.

Cotton probably wishes they'd overlapped at Harvard where he could have seen some of that sweet Sasse peen in the showers. Alas, the they missed each other by a year or two.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2020 10:40 PM

^^Scratch that-- his reelection is this year, so ignore the first paragraph of R26

And like Pete, he is a middle class kid--father was a high school teacher and went to a public high school... and he worked at McKinsey's rival, BCG

His wife homeschools their kids though that may be more because there are no decent schools anywhere near Fremont NE than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2020 10:44 PM

Sasse is a homophobe. When pressed on gay marriage, Sasse claims that the government's interest in marriage is to ensure that children grow up being raised with a parent of each gender. His quote:

[quote] “It’s empirically obvious that kids are best raised in a world with one mother and one father,” he said.

[quote] He said other questions, such as civil unions, are better left to the states.

[quote] The government is not interested in who your best friend is,” he said.

by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2020 10:52 PM

He is no friend to gays.

[quote] U.S. Senator Ben Sasse issued the following statement after the Supreme Court handed down its decision on same-sex marriage:

[quote] “Today’s ruling is a disappointment to Nebraskans who understand that marriage brings a wife and husband together so their children can have a mom and dad. The Supreme Court once again overstepped its Constitutional role by acting as a super-legislature and imposing its own definition of marriage on the American people rather than allowing voters to decide in the states.

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2020 10:53 PM

Why would homophobia be an impediment to being elected as a Republican? It’s in their party platform.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2020 10:54 PM

How big is the peen, R27?

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2020 10:55 PM

What was his relationship to Aaron Schock?

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2020 10:57 PM

R31, of course it wouldn't. Antigay policies have always been their platform. Just wanted to highlight how he is not 'bipartisan' and 'fair' or upstanding and moral. He is, in fact, quite villainous. He certainly is no Pete.

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2020 10:57 PM

Sasse voted to deny witness testimony at the impeachment hearing and then he voted to acquit Trump of high crimes and misdemeanors.

In this audio, he acknowledges that Trump built “literal concentration camps” where people including children were killed. He knows it. He admits it. This happened before the impeachment hearings.

Process that. He publicly supported and enabled a man whom he recognized set up concentration camps and killed people.

I cannot believe any of you are crushing on him. He is a fucking nazi who willingly supports someone who he understands is killing innocent people.

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2020 11:13 PM

He is very cute.

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2020 11:15 PM

[quote] I cannot believe any of you are crushing on him

You must be new here

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2020 11:15 PM

2022 to 2024 is going to be interesting. Each party is going to struggle with its extremist wing(s). Biden will likely pass the mantle, as will almost all of the Old Guard, but I doubt he will give it to Harris without her earning it.

Mayor Pete is currently savaging Sasse to Joy Reid, saying that he is trying to have it both ways. Let’s stop this now rather than leaving it to Nikki Haley.

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2020 11:26 PM

[quote] Mayor Pete is currently savaging Sasse to Joy Reid, saying that he is trying to have it both ways.

R38, thank you for that visual!

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2020 11:30 PM

[quote]Why is Sasse dressed like a teenage boy circa 1996 at [R9]?

Being from Nebraska, 1996 would be considered progressive.

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2020 11:37 PM

[quote]GOP’s Sen. Sasse says Trump mistreats women, flirts with white supremacy and secretly mocks evangelicals...

...but I'll do anything to confirm an unqualified, religious ideologue and nincompoop like Amy Coney Barrett! See? It's all a vaudeville act, folks!

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2020 11:45 PM

Just like Mitt Romney. All of that meaningless bluster.

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2020 11:48 PM

Hes pandering...if he hates Trumps rhetoric and policies so much, why does he always vote for the things Trump wants, the people Trump hires, and even for Trump in the impeachment. Hes a phony.

Meh, he sees the writing on the wall that the USS Dump is sinking fast & he's desperately trying to reposition himself. Who cares what you think, Sasse - it's what you *do* that counts & you've consistently carried the water for Dump. The voters will not forget.

by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2020 11:53 PM

[quote]What was his relationship to Aaron Schock?

Bottom.

by Anonymousreply 44October 16, 2020 12:11 AM

[quote]Mayor Pete is currently savaging Sasse to Joy Reid, saying that he is trying to have it both ways.

He's bi?

by Anonymousreply 45October 16, 2020 12:11 AM

R13 I’m inclined to agree. He wrote a book, which is one step on the presidential candidate checklist. Title is The Vanishing American Adult: Our Coming of Age Crisis.

by Anonymousreply 46October 16, 2020 12:11 AM

Don't stop, you savage!

by Anonymousreply 47October 16, 2020 12:20 AM

I bet Miss LIndz creams her bloomers every time Ben walks in the room.

by Anonymousreply 48October 16, 2020 12:22 AM

R42, how soon ye forget. Romney became the first senator in US history to vote to convict an impeached president of his or her own party. Hardly "meaningless bluster."

by Anonymousreply 49October 16, 2020 12:31 AM

And, yet, Romney will vote to confirm Ofdonald or whatever that fundie bitch's name is.

by Anonymousreply 50October 16, 2020 12:35 AM

R49, meaningless gesture. Romney/GOP calculated that there weren't enough votes to convict. If Trump's conviction truly hinged on Romney, he would have voted with the rest of them to acquit Trump.

by Anonymousreply 51October 16, 2020 12:38 AM

If Nixon hadn't resigned, more than a few Republican senators would've voted to remove him. That's why he resigned.

by Anonymousreply 52October 16, 2020 12:41 AM

His fellow Nebraskan who also has a PhD in History from Yale, Scott Kleeb, is a Democrat, is much dreamier than Sasse, and should have won for Senate back in 2008.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 16, 2020 1:03 AM

This douchebag Ben Sasse says things like this all the time, but then his nose always goes right back up Trump's filthy ass anyway. Check his voting record; he's in lock-step with everything Trump and his minions have inflicted on the USA, including having voted to confirm the fat RAPIST who now sits on the SCOTUS. Just like with Jeff Flake, don't believe a word he says. He will always, *always* disappoint you. And in continuing that tradition –mark my words– he will vote yes on confirming Barrett's SCOTUS fix as well.

by Anonymousreply 54October 16, 2020 1:06 AM

Daaaamn, R53. Yummy!

by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2020 1:07 AM

Ben Sasse is a WHORE!

by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2020 1:08 AM

I agree with you totally, R35.

[quote] I'll do anything to confirm an unqualified, religious ideologue and nincompoop like Amy Coney Barrett! See? It's all a vaudeville act, folks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2020 1:12 AM

I agree with you totally, R35.

[quote] I'll do anything to confirm an unqualified, religious ideologue and nincompoop like Amy Coney Barrett! See? It's all a vaudeville act, folks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 16, 2020 1:12 AM

Sorry for the above two posts.

Mean to say that in the linked video you can see that he's practically in love with Amy Coney Barrett, and agrees with her completely.

He is no friend to the left.

And his record in siding with Trump is enough to cancel him.

by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2020 1:13 AM

He is doing exactly what he was installed to do, "make the wh white again".

"They" haven't recovered from a black presidency.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2020 1:13 AM

Not meaningless gesture, R51. History will take note that Trump’s predecessor as party nominee voted to convict him, adding credence that this was not a partisan endeavor.

by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2020 1:15 AM

Did Feinstein hug him, too?

by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2020 1:15 AM

New York Times has this above the fold right now with a much stronger headline

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2020 1:16 AM

He's so dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2020 1:19 AM

And I would love nothing more than to bathe myself in that GOP bloodbath. I hope they rip each other to shreds.

by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2020 1:23 AM

The first rat has left the ship.

by Anonymousreply 66October 16, 2020 1:26 AM

Sasse votes 86.5% of the times with Trump's position.

by Anonymousreply 67October 16, 2020 1:28 AM

"I don't know him."

by Anonymousreply 68October 16, 2020 1:29 AM

fucker just wants to get reelected. He will confirm the SC Justice. Trash.

by Anonymousreply 69October 16, 2020 1:33 AM

He's just the male Susan Collins.

by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2020 1:35 AM

Remember, in Germany 1946 no one has ever been a Nazi

by Anonymousreply 71October 16, 2020 1:39 AM

Oh, please like she's just learning this.

by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2020 1:53 AM

[quote]I bet Miss LIndz creams her bloomers every time Ben walks in the room.

Heck, she does that with Trump.

by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2020 1:54 AM

I admit it. It is true that I like so many others on here want to forgive Senator Sasse because he is so handsome. But bottom line is, that he IS a republican. And one can never be forgiven for that. He is still one of those ugly people who just happens to have been given the perfect face. And body.

by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2020 2:57 AM

PERFECT face? You just get out of solitary confinement or something?

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2020 3:01 AM

I was about to post what R75 said. What two horse towns do these posters slobbering over him live? He's not ugly, just an above average looking middle aged guy. If you go down the street of any bigger city, you'll see five guys of his age better looking than him within the span of 10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2020 3:12 AM

I believe he's a runner - that's why he's dressed like that in R9's pic.

Whatever happened to Scott Kleeb?

by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2020 3:22 AM

NOW a warning?!?!

by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2020 4:26 AM

Sasse is an average looking white guy.

Of course the old caftaned queens of Datalounge are creaming their panties over him.

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2020 6:01 AM

[quote]We could do far, far worse if someone other than Sasse is the future of the post-Trump GOP. Alas, it would never happen.

It would actually not be a bad thing to have two younger Presidential candidates in 2024... Kamala Harris vs Ben Sasse.

And Sasse is arguably less vile than some of the other thirsty Republicans like Tom Cotton.

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2020 6:10 AM

Sasse/Cotton v Harris/Buttigieg in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2020 9:36 AM

Sasse: Trump set up concentration camps and killed innocent children.

Sasse: This impeachment is a sham and I refuse to hear from a single witness. My president is a god who shall not be questioned publicly!

DL: Sasse is the good kind of Republican. 🥰

by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2020 9:45 AM

Please, gays, continue.

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2020 11:28 AM

Did he say who he was voting for?

by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2020 11:41 AM

R84 Trump, obviously.

He probably meant all that shit he said as flattery.

by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2020 11:52 AM

Miss Lindz has had disputes with Tom Cotton, Rand Paul, and Ted Cruz.

She would be more inclined to support Mike Pence or Don Junior if he kicked Guilfoyle to the side.

by Anonymousreply 86October 16, 2020 1:08 PM

Nah - he waited too long. It's like denouncing Hitler in 1946.

Bullshit. And don't think he's going to 'work across the aisle' - Republicans NEVER do. He's just worried about what will happen when the tables are turned.

The problem is - Democrats are moral people and never take the same low, disgusting political moves when they are in power. And it bites them in the ass time and time again.

There is NO working with Republicans - they are not fair or honorable people.

by Anonymousreply 87October 16, 2020 1:19 PM

the base simply won't give a fuck they like that he's a liar and a deceitful jerk

by Anonymousreply 88October 16, 2020 1:23 PM

Damn R53 is one hot man.

Sasse is not ugly but that's the only compliment he's getting from me. He is a homophobe who will never support us and his wife wife is a homeschooler so she can fill her children with religious bullshit and raise little fundie homophobes and misogynists.

by Anonymousreply 89October 16, 2020 1:28 PM

Sasse is not as fuckable as Josh Hawley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 16, 2020 1:29 PM

R35 and R36 coming back-to-back is classic DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 91October 16, 2020 1:49 PM

Donald Trump managed to maintain 40 to 45 percent approval by acting insane and lying. Do you really think Americans are going to reject a kinder, gentler Republican? Not all of them, and not enough of them.

Ben Sasse, Josh Hawley, and Nikki Haley are going to run as the new “moderate” Republican Party and distance themselves from Trump’s failure and divisiveness. Democrats thought they were golden after Obama won decisively, including 59 to 60 Senate votes.

Republicans have no shame and few principles beyond corporate money, Christian oppression, and class warfare. Watch (and fight) how they try to repackage themselves post -Trump.

by Anonymousreply 92October 16, 2020 1:49 PM

Sasse looks like a "hawt" Lutheran minister. Hawley on the other hand is "young Christian dad on the downlow hawt."

by Anonymousreply 93October 16, 2020 1:52 PM

Sasse = von Stauffenberg

by Anonymousreply 94October 16, 2020 1:57 PM

von Stauffenberg ist heiß!

by Anonymousreply 95October 16, 2020 2:08 PM

Tim Alberta @TimAlberta

I’m not saying this is a strategic leak from Sasse’s camp... but if you think Trump is gonna get smoked & you want to rebuild the GOP on a foundation that disowns his presidency, now’s the time to get in on the ground floor. Quotes like these won’t get same notice post-November.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 16, 2020 3:28 PM

The hypothesis in R96's link assumes that the worrywarts on DL who post Trafalgar polls and warn of PA yard signs are at odds with what Republican senators think is coming.

by Anonymousreply 97October 16, 2020 3:34 PM

So if Trump falls, how will the post-Trump Republicans keep the MAGA in their electorate if they start dissing him?

by Anonymousreply 98October 16, 2020 4:36 PM

Some of MAGA will fall off, just as Bush Republicans left the Trump party. It will depend on how the opposition responds to the (likely) Biden administration and their track record.

4 years may be too short for Republicans to turn their ship around. Trumpists may be the new Bernie Bros, but there is likely no path to succeeds without Trump. My fear is that Republican moderates will be able to rebrand and unite their party by 2022.

Democrats would be wise to have a united, popular front that pulls moderates and progressives and independents together. Unlikely, but they pulled it off over the last six months.

by Anonymousreply 99October 16, 2020 4:51 PM

The problem is the media. The media will treat the Sasses and the Hawleys and the Grahams like they didn't have a hand in the Trump presidency and that they didn't enable the hate solely for their own, selfish means.

The GOP's saving grace is the media's omission of how Trump rose to power after he's gone.

by Anonymousreply 100October 16, 2020 4:55 PM

DL Fave Eric Swalwell nails it "Ben Sasse remains the Mitt Romney of Susan Collinses: He talks a good game but generally falls into line with Trump at the drop of a hat."

by Anonymousreply 101October 16, 2020 5:30 PM

I think trump has done more than just flirt with the white supremacists.

by Anonymousreply 102October 16, 2020 5:58 PM

[quote]Trumpists may be the new Bernie Bros, but there is likely no path to succeeds without Trump. My fear is that Republican moderates will be able to rebrand and unite their party by 2022.

If he's not in jail or in Russia, Trump may run again in 2024 though. He can, can't he?

by Anonymousreply 103October 16, 2020 6:08 PM

Fuck him..he had his chance to vote the traitor out with impeachment - he didn't even for for witnesses. FUCK HIM

by Anonymousreply 104October 16, 2020 6:56 PM

[quote] If he's not in jail or in Russia, Trump may run again in 2024 though. He can, can't he?

2016 was his time. He's wearing thin now and in 2024 we will just be a little pest that people will swat away.

by Anonymousreply 105October 16, 2020 8:10 PM

[quote] If he's not in jail or in Russia, Trump may run again in 2024 though. He can, can't he?

Absolutely he can!

by Anonymousreply 106October 16, 2020 8:49 PM

Trump running in 2024 would be a gift to Democrats. Narcissists get nastier with age.

by Anonymousreply 107October 16, 2020 9:10 PM

Felons can't run for president.

by Anonymousreply 108October 16, 2020 9:13 PM

Sasse says that “Trump spends like a sailor.”

And Sasse voted yes to every one of those spending bills

by Anonymousreply 109October 16, 2020 10:27 PM

Doo he need a good time? I am architect with clean privates and big house. I am happy to give good time to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 16, 2020 11:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 16, 2020 11:26 PM

[quote]if he hates Trumps rhetoric and policies so much, why does he always vote for the things Trump wants, the people Trump hires, and even for Trump in the impeachment.

Because he's voting with Mitch McConnell. Trump doesn't set the Senate's agenda, the Turtle does. And the Turtle cares about Trump only as much as he can get him to go along.

by Anonymousreply 112October 17, 2020 12:03 AM

Sassy Cotton sounds like a much gayer ticket than anything with Buttigieg on it.

by Anonymousreply 113October 17, 2020 1:47 AM

The bars!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114October 17, 2020 9:59 AM

The Republican clown car is already full for 2024. Nobody wants a repeat of 2016, which means that over the next two years, we'll see a coalescing of the Republican donors around probably 2 or 3 candidates. Sasse is unlikely to be one of them - his hypocrisy puts him into Susan Collins territory, as someone else already noted. Without donor $$, no candidate has a chance.

by Anonymousreply 115October 17, 2020 10:21 AM

[quote] The Republican clown car is already full for 2024

It is! I fucking dread 2024 already.

by Anonymousreply 116October 17, 2020 11:47 AM

Republicans already with Presidential ambitions for 2024 include, but not limited to, Mike Pence, Ted Cruz, Rick Scott, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul, Nikki Haley, Tom Cotton, Josh Hawley, Marsha Blackburn, John Kasich, Mitt Romney, SC Gov. McMaster, several other GOP current & former Governors, Mike Pompeo, and Donald Trump Jr. Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner want to be annointed Queen and King by decree.

Several of those politicians are authoritarian types that will continue the assault on democracy.

by Anonymousreply 117October 17, 2020 1:48 PM

Marsha Blackburn!! I’m sorry but I saw that woman on The View and thought she was satire. If anyone watched Absolutely Fabulous she’s the type of moronic grifter “Bo” would be if she and Marshall went for political life. As it is the character “Bo” became a televangelist on the show and the scenes don’t even read as satire now that Trump’s spiritual advisor is a televangelist even more brazen and ridiculous.

Marsha and some of the others won’t have a shred of credibility with anyone after Trump. And they will crash and burn in debates because they don’t have the machismo of Trump which let’s face it is what got him support from uneducated men and damaged women. Guys would just love to be a swaggering bully who fucks pie starts and shouts over women and pays $750 tax. He is their American Dream!

by Anonymousreply 118October 17, 2020 1:54 PM

*pornstars not pie starts!

by Anonymousreply 119October 17, 2020 1:56 PM

Meanwhile Senator Sasse will vote in line with Trump.

by Anonymousreply 120October 17, 2020 1:59 PM

They let you do it when you're a pie start, R118!

by Anonymousreply 121October 17, 2020 2:02 PM

Here we go....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122October 17, 2020 2:07 PM

[quote]Guys would just love to be a swaggering bully who fucks pie

Jason Biggs for president!

by Anonymousreply 123October 17, 2020 2:11 PM

You know when you see who the young male Trump supporters are on Reddit Jason Biggs, dick in pie, wearing a gaming headset would be a good mascot.

by Anonymousreply 124October 17, 2020 2:17 PM

[quote] Of course the old caftaned queens of Datalounge are creaming their panties over him.

While I admittedly can’t speak for all caftan wearers, with me it’s either caftan OR panties. It’s either/or, but never both. Makes it too difficult to present hole to the food delivery drivers.

by Anonymousreply 125October 17, 2020 2:20 PM

It never ceases to amaze me (though by this point it should) just how thin-skinned Trump is.

Although Sasse and his aides must be high-fiving each other now as they can use that tweet to show their anti-Trumpist credentials for '24

by Anonymousreply 126October 17, 2020 2:22 PM

I agree with those who say he's preparing for 2024 and nothing more.

Republicans are just unethical scum.

by Anonymousreply 127October 17, 2020 2:50 PM

I expect Paul Ryan is going to come crawling out of the woodwork in 2024 too.

by Anonymousreply 128October 17, 2020 2:59 PM

[quote]so in other words, he's just another Republican coward full of bullshit just like all of the other the so-called 'bipartisan' Refucks -- Collins, Murkowski, Romney.

No, he is much worse.

Romney voted for impeachment. Collins and Murkowski have rebuked Trump on a few of their votes.

Sasse has been a loyal supporter of Trump with his voting record. Don't listen to his words, look at his actions.

by Anonymousreply 129October 17, 2020 3:05 PM

I think Paul is done with public office. Probably makes a shitload in the private sector for all of the whoring he did while in Congress.

No current Republicans should ever be allowed to detach themselves from their appeasement of this orange scum of the earth. Not a single one.

by Anonymousreply 130October 17, 2020 3:06 PM

People seem like to misreading the Republican base. The Repulican base loves Trump, the winner of the GOP primary is going to be someone who is Trump-like. I woudn't be surprised if it is someone like Tucker Carlson or who knows.

by Anonymousreply 131October 17, 2020 3:07 PM

R131, there isn't enough of a Trump base to sustain the party and they're only dwindling. 2018 proved people are tired of his shit and the fact that during a pandemic, millions have already voted, does not bode well for the Trump base.

by Anonymousreply 132October 17, 2020 3:16 PM

[quote]The Repulican base loves Trump, the winner of the GOP primary is going to be someone who is Trump-like.

Yeah but that kind of candidate is not electable nationwide. Trump in 2016 was a one-off who barely squeaked out a win because his opponent was overwhelmingly hated.

by Anonymousreply 133October 17, 2020 3:16 PM

r133, he "won" because the Russians flipped votes in key counties. Do keep up.

by Anonymousreply 134October 17, 2020 3:20 PM

Thank you R133. This just needs to be repeated over and over till it sinks into DLers heads:

[bold] Trump in 2016 was a one-off who barely squeaked out a win because his opponent was overwhelmingly hated.*

[/bold][italic]*Not quite as hated as Trump was, but hated enough to make his election possible

by Anonymousreply 135October 17, 2020 3:39 PM

Trump was not as lucky to get the White House as he was to get the nomination. Had Marco Rubio dropped out, Ted Cruz would likely have won the nomination. God knows who would have been President.

Republicans still, in overwhelming numbers, stand behind Trump. He is losing because he lost independents,, not because his party doesn’t support him.

by Anonymousreply 136October 17, 2020 4:28 PM

There's nothing more appealing than a bunch of low-life rats deserting the sinking Republican ship. Expect the flood gates to open completely if Trump loses.

And Senator Sasse has had plenty of opportunity to criticize Trump in the past, but being the gutless, spineless coward he is (as are all Republicans) he safely waited until the air of desperation and potential loss was in the air to pounce. Hardly a profile in courage.

by Anonymousreply 137October 17, 2020 4:40 PM

If Sasse runs for the Republican nomination in four years, he'll be one of those people who gets 3% or 4% of the vote in the early primaries and then has to drop out.

Republican voters don't like overachieving eggheads and I don't think he has the "common touch."

by Anonymousreply 138October 17, 2020 4:46 PM

r138, they don't like figureheads with their own ideas, as a general rule.

by Anonymousreply 139October 17, 2020 5:03 PM

[quote]Romney voted for impeachment.

No, he didn't, because he is not in the HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES.

Trump WAS IMPEACHED. Never forget.

by Anonymousreply 140October 17, 2020 5:11 PM

It's really not as simple as saying he won because Clinton was hated. First of all she won the popular vote. Now, the divide between the top 5% and everyone else has been widening since the 80s. The working and middle classes were getting by on credit until the 08 crash. Obama came along and energized the young, the black community and gave people hope that he would be the one to bring about change. That didn't really happen. Young people from UMC homes got on okay. They did unpaid internships, parents paid their rent and they had a delayed entry into the good jobs. On the other hand working class kids were pushed into the gig economy. Banks were not handing out credit they way they used to. It was too expensive for a lot of people in the south and midwest to move to the coasts and people got trapped with student loans and low paying jobs. The rust belt and deep south never came back from the recession and you had people in their 40s and 50s out of work with little hope of ever re-entering the workforce and not enough capital to start over in the now crazy expensive coastal cities.

Along comes this guy who promises he will bring back manufacturing jobs and coal mines. He promises to build a wall to keep out competition for low paid work. He validates people's racism and sexism. He stirs up tribalism and fear of the 'other'. He says he will go to DC and throw out all the corrupt politicians who have promised this and that while their parts of the country just kept getting more impoverished and left behind. You have the perfect storm for enough people to think he was the answer to all their problems and a return to a time when a white working class man only had to get a job, any job, and he would be entitled to a mortgage, car loan, submissive wife and his job would be 'for life'. He could drink and gamble and never lift a finger in the home and the wife was powerless to do anything but shut up and put up. Trump comes out and says he'll bring those good old days back. Grab em by the pussy. Kick out the blacks, they probably weren't born here anyway. Add in FB 'news' and Youtube 'facts' and you can see why he tipped the electoral college.

by Anonymousreply 141October 17, 2020 5:42 PM

There's no small amount of irony in that H-Hive posts defending her honor are always of the TL;DR variety

by Anonymousreply 142October 17, 2020 5:49 PM

[Quote]It's really not as simple as saying he won because Clinton was hated.

It basically is that simple. Clinton was a historically unpopular candidate who the majority of Americans disliked. The only presidential contender who has been more unpopular is Trump himself. That's really why Trump was able to squeak out a win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143October 17, 2020 5:54 PM

Prepare for another 2500 word post on why people don't really dislike Her, R143

by Anonymousreply 144October 17, 2020 5:58 PM

Sorry but as a working class person I can assure you it isn't that simple and if you chose to believe the only problem was Hillary then we are doomed to have another horrendous Republican candidate win in the next decade.

by Anonymousreply 145October 17, 2020 6:09 PM

[quote] Sorry but as an academic who thinks he has a bead on working class people....

by Anonymousreply 146October 17, 2020 6:14 PM

No I can assure you I am. Maybe the only one on DL but I was raised in a council estate in Liverpool and now live in a working class suburb of Chicago and work as a factory supervisor. I came to the US via Canada. I'm a welder by trade.

by Anonymousreply 147October 17, 2020 6:20 PM

R143, if she's so unlikely, why did she get more votes than Trump?

R38 thinks Kamala is an "extremist" - lol

by Anonymousreply 148October 17, 2020 7:51 PM

Now Trumplethinskin is coming after Sasse:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149October 17, 2020 7:52 PM

Nikki Haley would have better luck running in the Knesset. She served Israel at the UN, not the US

by Anonymousreply 150October 17, 2020 7:53 PM

[quote] [R143], if she's so unlikely, why did she get more votes than Trump?

How many times do we need to explain this to the H-Hive R148?

Two people can BOTH be unlikeable.

It so happened that three million people found Hillary [italic] slightly less unlikeable[/italic] than Trump.

by Anonymousreply 151October 17, 2020 7:56 PM

R148, my first choice was Kamala. You appear to have zero sense of political nuance or realities.

by Anonymousreply 152October 17, 2020 8:29 PM

[quote] I am disappointed with his voting record and lack of pushback, but I always knew he privately was disgusted with Trump's actions as a human being.

R18, that has to be one of the most infuriating things I’ve read on DL. A voting record and pushback to gross indecency are the only weapons in a politician’s arsenal. Hand-wringing behind the scenes or proclaiming a higher moral tone does not display integrity, but the complete and utter lack of it.

by Anonymousreply 153October 17, 2020 8:59 PM

Sasse sees the writing on the wall. He realizes he won’t have a political future unless he starts distancing himself from Trump now as the ship is sinking.

We won’t forget how he was instrumental in sailing that ship

by Anonymousreply 154October 17, 2020 9:06 PM

R152, you seem to have little understanding of what an extremist is.

by Anonymousreply 155October 17, 2020 9:45 PM

R155, I have no idea what your problem is. In my original post from *Thursday*, I merely pointed out that both parties will have to deal with their extreme wings. It’s not a radical observation, nor is it an expression of whatever political leaning you seem to want to ascribe to me.

by Anonymousreply 156October 17, 2020 10:04 PM

I think any Republican who is calling out Trump at this point has already given up any 2024 ambitions.

by Anonymousreply 157October 18, 2020 2:08 PM

R12, he’s in one of those body swap movies that were so popular circa 1996. The twist in this film is that he body swapped into himself *in the future*.

by Anonymousreply 158October 18, 2020 3:28 PM

Now Trumplethinskin is coming after Sasse:

I like that one Trumplethinskin - very funny R149

By all means Dump, spend the final days of your campaign shitting all over fellow repugs, take a couple of shots at McTurtle while you're at it....

by Anonymousreply 159October 18, 2020 3:54 PM

R159, when i see them go after each other, my only thought is: Should I go with butter or caramel on the popcorn?

by Anonymousreply 160October 18, 2020 4:15 PM

Now it's Texas Senator John Cornyn's turn to claim he was troubled by Trump all along:

The senior Republican senator from Texas, who is being challenged by Democrat MJ Hegar, said he chose to work on those disagreements with the president’s staff in private discussions, rather than by publicly voicing his opposition.

Cornyn initially described his relationship with Trump as “maybe like a lot of women who get married and think they’re going to change their spouse, and that doesn’t usually work out very well.”

by Anonymousreply 161October 18, 2020 4:47 PM

actually, I'm not sure that's true r108. Many felons are not allowed to vote, but I'm not sure there are really a lot of restrictions on running for most offices. Some age restrictions, some need to gather enough signatures by a certain date, but other than that ...

by Anonymousreply 162October 18, 2020 4:48 PM

R162, that's crazy. So many can't vote but they can be given power?

by Anonymousreply 163October 18, 2020 4:58 PM

We all saw this coming. They got what they wanted from the orange clown who they knew was a fucking clown and now they're done with him and pulling a Mariah.

You know which ones are the smart ones who lack integrity and ethics, but went along for political gain (ie. tax cuts for the rich and ACB) and those who are true believers. Matt Gaetz is one of the few true believers. Like Trump, an idiot allowed to fail upward because of who his daddy is.

by Anonymousreply 164October 18, 2020 5:04 PM

I think so, r163. Our political rules are very arbitrary that way. In fact, Don Blankenship who spent a year in jail for multiple violations regarding his coal mines, and for being an all around asshole really, is running for president for the Constitution Party.

by Anonymousreply 165October 18, 2020 5:10 PM

Oh, God. Is Blankenship the guy John Oliver did a piece on? How could anyone support that asshole?

by Anonymousreply 166October 18, 2020 6:38 PM

The "felons can't vote" laws are strictly about suppressing Black votes.

by Anonymousreply 167October 18, 2020 6:40 PM

And the problem is that when they imagine "black felons," they think every single one was a rapist/murderer rather than just found with some weed. Meanwhile, the suburban white kids who drive drunk or party with tons of weed, are given a warning.

by Anonymousreply 168October 18, 2020 6:43 PM

And what did he say about Trump three years ago?

by Anonymousreply 169October 18, 2020 6:44 PM

To be fair, I have ALWAYS been extremely concerned about President Trump's behavior.

by Anonymousreply 170October 18, 2020 6:48 PM

[Quote] I merely pointed out that both parties will have to deal with their extreme wings.

Except the extreme democratic wing wants to give Americans what European governments have been offering to their citizens for decades. The extreme GOP wing wants to make America a theocracy, decimating rights for gays, women, and minorities.

There is a huge difference

by Anonymousreply 171October 18, 2020 6:57 PM

I made no suggestion that the extremes were equivalent in their views. You’ve got some weird issues.

by Anonymousreply 172October 18, 2020 7:00 PM

[quote]The senior Republican senator from Texas, who is being challenged by Democrat MJ Hegar, said he chose to work on those disagreements with the president’s staff in private discussions, rather than by publicly voicing his opposition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173October 18, 2020 7:03 PM

R173, the truth is he doesn’t really have any differences. He just said that to get re-elected

by Anonymousreply 174October 18, 2020 7:17 PM

R171, the ones who imagine a faction of the left being "extreme," think that it translates into giving minorities they hate, more power rather than simple equality. They'll ignore literal death threats to governors from the extreme right. Over what? Over trying to *protect* them from a deadly virus and the president himself encouraging those death threats. And they think that is analogous to anything the "far left" believes in.

Shameful people who call themselves "moderates" when really, they're just trying to rationalize their own prejudices.

by Anonymousreply 175October 18, 2020 7:48 PM

[quote]The senior Republican senator from Texas, who is being challenged by Democrat MJ Hegar, said he chose to work on those disagreements with the president’s staff in private discussions, rather than by publicly voicing his opposition.

A Senator's disagreement has meaning only through his / her votes.

If, as I suspect, Cornyn voted with Trump on the so-called issues of disagreement, he did not disagree.

by Anonymousreply 176October 19, 2020 2:16 AM

Wasn't D. Blankenship the guy who coined the phrase "Cocaine Mitch"? Mitch is heavily invested in Elaine Chao's family's international shipping company based in China. A big load of cocaine was found on one of the ships several years back.

by Anonymousreply 177October 19, 2020 1:36 PM

they're just not doing well. they are just too stupid and just too lazy to realize, they just ain't doing well. this con game is coming to an end, and they don't know what to do about it.

by Anonymousreply 178October 20, 2020 3:42 AM

[quote] they are just too stupid and just too lazy to realize,

Oh, so kind of like you with the shift key.

by Anonymousreply 179October 20, 2020 11:38 AM

Sassy Ben is bearded and wide awake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180November 20, 2020 3:18 PM

I have a feeling “moderate” Republicans will become democrats in order to take over the democratic party & make it the new GOP-

by Anonymousreply 181November 20, 2020 3:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!