Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Meatless Meals That Actually Taste Good

I'm trying to eat healthier so I had tofu banh mi for lunch. I marinated the tofu in tamari,olive oil, lime juice, garlic, and ginger. For the pickled veg I used cucumbers, carrots, radishes, and jalapeno. I topped the sandwich with sriracha mayo and fresh cilantro. Yum!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 19, 2020 1:31 PM

I make meatless banh mi sandwiches too. I add marinated, grilled eggplant to them. It’s so easy to make your own pickled vegetables for banh mi, I usually make them with carrots and daikon, but leave the cucumbers fresh. The fresh cucumber slices give extra crunch than if they were marinated or pickled. Fresh cilantro is also a must.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2020 9:31 PM

Grilled eggplant sounds delish! I'll do that next time. I had to use radishes as daikon isn't available in my area.

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2020 9:35 PM

tofu sucks!

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2020 9:36 PM

OP, for your tofu I’d recommend using different methods to achieve different textures. Get extra firm tofu and invest in a tofu press ( can get them on Amazon for under $25). Follow the instructions from the tofu press, basically it squeezes out as much water as possible so that you have a very firm block of tofu. You then cut the tofu into thick deli slices that you then marinate for 2 hours or overnight. Make sure not to make the marinade too salty as the pressed tofu absorbs flavors and seasoning really well.

Method #2 is something that my late Japanese grandmother used to do in the winter with tofu. She’d freeze slabs of tofu outside in a century-old storage space for frozen foods. But she showed up how to do it here by just using the freezer. The texture of frozen then thawed tofu is great for sandwiches because it takes on the texture of wheat gluten-based vegan deli slices. Plus it absorbs whatever seasoning and marinade like sponge.

What you do is you take the firm or medium-firm tofu out of the original container before putting inside freezer. This is because tofu will expand when frozen. The color also changes to a golden yellow color when frozen. Usually takes about overnight for tofu to fully be frozen then thawed out. You can cut the tofu into thick slices, cubes, or the entire block. and put them into freezer bags with air squeezed out. Once you’re ready to thaw, you just let them sit at room temp. After thawing they’re ready to be marinated or seasoned. There are many ways of freezing tofu, below is a link that’s pretty good at explaining it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2020 10:32 PM

Too much work.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2020 10:36 PM

Tofu gives you bitch tits and cancer.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2020 10:42 PM

[quote]The texture of frozen then thawed tofu is great for sandwiches because it takes on the texture of wheat gluten-based vegan deli slices.

We have very different ideas of what is great for sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2020 10:48 PM

R6 I know science and scientific facts are difficult for you to process, but there are bio-identical hormones and growth factors in meat and milk (tit juice). Estrogen, progesterone, IGf-1, etc.... that actually affect your hormone level and health.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2020 10:50 PM

Op, did you use fresh jalapeños, or pickled?

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2020 11:02 PM

Also, R6, the biggest man-tits I’ve seen are on middle-age men who eat a lot of meat and cheese, not only donthey gave tits but big bellies too. I’m from California but had spent a year living in Brooklyn in my late teens. I used to see these guys with their big tits and bellies, eating pizza, calzones, or Italian sandwiches. Not a pretty sight.

I still occasionally eat aged cheese, maybe 3-4 times a year, it’s not a part of my regular diet but I do enjoy it on occasions. But for you to equate eating tofu to getting cancer or growing tits is beyond stupid.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2020 11:03 PM

I use fresh jalapenos. It gives the pickled vegetables a nice kick.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2020 11:10 PM

Meant to say “ not only do they have tits”

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2020 11:11 PM

Macaroni and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2020 11:24 PM

Tofu is not recommended for men. Full stop.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2020 11:53 PM

Meatless meals? Do you mean vegetarian or vegan?

Egg salad sandwich on sourdough toast. Fettuccine Alfredo, roasted vegetables on orecchiette, stuffed mushrooms, falafel in a pita with tzatziki, grilled cheese and tomato soup.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2020 12:11 AM

If you put that much work into eating as you did your life...

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2020 12:16 AM

Food is life

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2020 12:22 AM

Do you cook the tofu?

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2020 12:30 AM

I grilled the tofu.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2020 12:32 AM

Salad made with canned and drained chickpeas, diced red onion, diced tomatoes (baby tomatoes are best), avocado, cilantro, and olive oil and lemon and salt. If you like feta you can sprinkle some.

Mac n Cheese with roasted Habanero peppers on top.

Curried chickpeas as per this recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2020 12:39 AM

I'm not vegetarian, but I am happy to eat a well-made ratatouille all week long. I used to pack it for lunch, and it was great at room temperature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2020 12:40 AM

The curry looks quite nice but minus a buttery taste I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2020 12:41 AM

Baked eggplant

Grilled portobello mushroom

Pesto lasagna

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2020 12:42 AM

the eggplant banh mi sounds good but anything Tofu would BLOW MY HOLE OUT - and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2020 12:47 AM

R24 Describe this phenomenon in more detail hon. I'm thoroughly bored.

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2020 12:48 AM

Shrimp and grits.

(Cheese) tortellini al pesto.

Pad thai with fried tofu buts, veggie curry, green papaya salad, thom kha soup with extra mushrooms.

Bean and cheese burrito or quesadilla, topped with avocado and salsa.

Middle eastern feasts including falafels, spanakopitas or dolmas, salads, hummus and pita, cheese boreks, lentil soup, and olives and pickled vegetables.

Big bowl of minestrone with fresh crusty bread.

But I'm too tired to cook, so I'm currently eating pizza with garlic sauce, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, and green onions.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2020 12:55 AM

Falafel. I like the "Fantastic falafel" mix in the box. I don't deep fry, just put a tablespoon or so of oil in a pan and fry in patties.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2020 3:28 AM

My sandwich for tommorow- Two Trader Joe's corn tortillas with veganaise, tofurky bologna, swiss cheese, lettuce and tomato- mmmm.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2020 3:33 AM

Mushroom lasagna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2020 3:36 AM

Leek and mushroom shepherd's pie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2020 3:37 AM

Pasta and vegetable bakes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2020 4:20 AM

NOT ANOTHER COOKING SHOW on YouTube has a lot of meatless meals -And they are really, really delicious. Italian cooking done right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2020 4:30 AM

R21 That looks really good, and the arrangement is brilliant. I make a layered ratatouille casserole similar to a Lasagne that is good enough that even eggplant haters have devoured it. I salt both the zucchini and eggplant slices, and allow them to drain on fryer screens for at least forty-five minutes, sometimes longer. After rinsing and drying, I brush the thin slices with olive oil, and bake them on a sheet pan. They only need fifteen or twenty minutes @350*to become soft. If you slice them thickly, they may need longer.

Then they're shingled between layers of finely chopped and sautéed onion, garlic, poblano, and bell peppers, a layer of marinara, and a layer of 50/50 Parmigiano-Reggiano, and a sharp Sheep's milk Romano. It's not necessary, but if I have it, I put fresh Buffalo Mozzerella on top. Usually I have four layers, sometimes five.

I put it in the oven covered @ 350* for 40-45 minutes, and remove the cover for the last 10-15 minutes. I put a much heavier layer of the Parm-Romano on the top.

I've cheated with store bought sauce, and think either a four cheese, or basil sauce really complements the flavours.

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2020 6:52 PM

R21 I wish the tasty link worked for me, but no luck.

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2020 6:55 PM

Mujaddara. A Middle Eastern dish that's basically lentils, rice, carmelized onions, and some ordinary seasonings (salt, pepper, cumin). God I could live on it.

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2020 6:57 PM

Lentil soup!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2020 7:07 PM

I'm still looking for some good meatless, sugar-free sandwich recipes (no more PBJs), that hopefully feature something other than cheese. I eat too much bread and cheese as it is.

Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2020 7:23 PM

R37 Fried egg and pepper sandwich, w/or w/out optional mustard?

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2020 7:27 PM

As an old bachelor, I always keep cherry tomatoes on hand. They keep well and I don't have to worry about using only half a beefsteak, and I can always add a few to soups or omelettes, and for a heartier main dish, roast them in the oven to eat over polenta, make a tomato salad with a bit of shallot and vinaigrette, or slice up a few to add to pasta.

Teusday night's improvised pasta was angel hair with lemon, olive oil, and a few herbs, cherry tomatoes and olives, and a few tiny frozen shrimp, sprinkled with good parmesean. Beautiful, tasty, and quick!

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2020 7:27 PM

very veggie, and DELICIOUS!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2020 7:40 PM

These all look so good, I am going to be busy trying many of the recipes.

Though not a vegetarian, I have been eating fewer meat-based meals these past eight months ... while gaining weight. Go figure.

R27, I grabbed the last remaining box of Fantastic falafel from the grocer's shelf yesterday. I love it, and that is what's for dinner tonight.

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2020 7:55 PM

Pizza Margherita made with San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, salt and extra-virgin olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2020 8:40 PM

Sheesh! If you put 32 different kinds of liquid/solid condiments on ANYTHING, it's going to have some tastiness. All the shit OP says he put on the bread, he could have just added some index cards and TP to the bread.

by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2020 9:34 PM

Pizza.

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2020 9:43 PM

R37 I've always liked pickle, cheese & tomato sandwiches, though I usually put mayo on them.

by Anonymousreply 45October 15, 2020 10:02 PM

Here's an excellent Ratatouille (Julia Child's), since the recipe I posted at R21 didn't come through for some people. If you really want to 'gild the lily', it can be topped with a scattering of Gruyere or Romano cheese for a golden crust.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2020 10:32 PM

Cheers R46.

by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2020 10:46 PM

Chana Masala is one of my favourites for Fall and Winter. Served with traditional Indian breads, or over Basmati rice, it's classic comfort food. There are many good cheats online too, if you don't have time to soak the Chickpeas, or grind and bloom spices, you can use powdered Masala. The Amchur IMHO is required for an authentic flavour. Top with fresh Parsley or Coriander (Cilantro).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2020 10:55 PM

I make a variation of this corn salad several times every summer. Rather than Ina's basic vinaigrette, I make a vinaigrette with fresh lime juice and Tajin powder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2020 11:00 PM

Anything with spinach...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2020 11:23 PM

quiche

tomato pie!

fried green tomatoes can go on a sandwich but are tricky to make.

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2020 11:38 PM

I just made quinoa tabhouli salad, tsitsiki, and falafel from a Trader Joe's mix, with some TJ's hummus, goat cheese, pita bread and olives. Sadly, I'd rather buy falafel balls from a place that makes them in a deep fryer, they are so much nicer. It was all good together, though.

by Anonymousreply 52October 15, 2020 11:43 PM

No wonder so many here are such bitches.

Most of you must weigh 80 pounds eating some of this shit.

by Anonymousreply 53October 15, 2020 11:48 PM

Oh a tomato sandwich is great. Mayo (Dukes!), slices of tomato, and lots of black pepper. It would be too soggy to keep till lunch, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2020 11:54 PM

OP, it sounds as though your sandwich would have been a good choice for the OP of the "I have scurvy" thread.

by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2020 12:06 AM

The tomato queens need to share the recipes. How do you make a tomato sandwich or pie? Recipes?

by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2020 12:19 AM

Been making these since August for breakfast and, although I know I won't find red currants as easily when I get back to LA, I imagine that cranberries or even blueberries may be good in them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2020 12:21 AM

Fried tofu is the best in Asian dishes! Never made it just order take out...has anyone made it?

by Anonymousreply 58October 16, 2020 12:22 AM

Soy is the worst thing you can put in your body that is marketed as food.

by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2020 12:22 AM

Make it while you can get good ones still.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2020 12:27 AM

Sandwich

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2020 12:28 AM

A good aged Cheddar or Red Leicester with Branston pickle is a traditional vegetarian British sandwich. You can add onion or lettuce, and tomato. It's a classic meatless sandwich, and a favourite of mine. Any chutney or relish goes well with cheese really. Cream cheese, a mango chutney like Major Grey's is nice in a sandwich too. Add cucumber if you want a fancy tea sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2020 12:35 AM

R45 You need to try the English cheese and pickle sandwich! Branston is even available on Walmart.com now.

by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2020 12:39 AM

[quote] I'm still looking for some good meatless, sugar-free sandwich recipes (no more PBJs), that hopefully feature something other than cheese. I eat too much bread and cheese as it is. Any ideas?

Eggplant sandwich? Avocado sandwich?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2020 12:41 AM

Black beans and corn on rice with onion and cheese on top. Cuban bread and a salad. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2020 12:43 AM

R59 - is organic tofu any better?

by Anonymousreply 66October 16, 2020 12:44 AM

R66 here...because I love my curries and, obviously, there are so many ways to make it and I love this staple, quick dish I make.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 16, 2020 12:47 AM

OP, I LOVE Vietnamese subs. They are the best subs in the world

by Anonymousreply 68October 16, 2020 12:53 AM

R68 - do not forget about Pho (can be vegetarian too) and lots of other Vietnamese foods amazing.

by Anonymousreply 69October 16, 2020 12:59 AM

For those who may still be clamouring for sandwich ideas, Caponata on garlic bread is an easy and satisfying fix. If you're a cheese lover, add Provolone or Fontina. Great hot or cold. Have a few pine nuts on the side, for extra protein.

by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2020 1:05 AM

Pan bagnat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 16, 2020 1:11 AM

nature burger was good

by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2020 1:37 AM

R28, Tofurkey? That just sounds undigestable.

by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2020 3:44 AM

Chip sandwiches

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2020 5:14 AM

Meatless meatballs

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2020 5:29 AM

R75 - at Trader Joe's they are essentially made of chickpeas...very good with a nice vodka sauce on pasta.

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2020 9:04 AM

Fried green tomato sandwiches are pure heaven.

For the tit obsessed DLers, Asian cultures have been eating tofu for over 2000 years and the man there have not developed huge tits yet.

Unfortunately, many Western men have developed man boobs because of their unhealthy diets which include lots of processed crap, meat, cheese, and fat. Tofu is not the problem.

The billion $ milk industry wants people to believe that tofu is the devil, when in all reality no mammal needs milk, which is very high in natural hormones, after being weaned. It’s really silly when you actually think about it.

by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2020 9:40 AM

Made this the other night. It's amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2020 10:05 AM

easy peasy

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2020 1:20 PM

McDonald's bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit with coffee and orange juice.

Delicious !

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2020 1:46 PM

Pasta putanesca is easy and delicious and vegetarian if you leave out anchovy.

by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2020 5:08 PM

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the ideas and have saved some of the recipes!

by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2020 5:29 PM

I cook angel hair pasta and a couple of minutes before it is done I heat up a pan with olive oil. I have a can of good diced tomatoes open are ready. I slice garlic and toast it in the olive oil, stirring constantly. I watch it carefully and when it gets toasty brown I add the tomatoes to stop the cooking. When the tomato & garlic is hot I add the drained pasta, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and finally fresh basil leaves. Sometimes I add shrimp. The toasted garlic is mellow and nutty flavored. Delicious.

Note watch the garlic and don't let it burn as it will turn bitter and nasty.

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2020 6:13 PM

People always caution about burnt garlic and the pith (white part) of the lemon. Burnt garlic isn't any worse than some other type of burnt vegetable, IMO. Actually, browned or caramelized garlic is delicious. The pith of the lemon actually has no flavor (bland), it's not "bitter" as is said so often.

That said, R83, your dish sounds tasty.

by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2020 6:34 PM

A lot of traditional Askenazi Jewish food is meatless, it relies a lot on dairy and if you can't mix dairy with meat, well!

Begels with lox and cream cheese! Latkes or potato pancakes with sour cream or applesauce! Blintzes, for breakfast or dessert! Gefilte fish! Potato knishes! Potato-cheese or potato-onion perogis! Borsht! Rogelach! Carrot tzimmes! Kugels! Cabbage stuffed with rice and veg!

Tons of meatless comfort foods, which are just comfort foods if you're jewish or not!

by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2020 11:24 PM

Homemade Mac & Cheese

Four Cheese Lasagna ( with REAL cheese)

by Anonymousreply 86October 17, 2020 12:20 AM

A traditional tuna melt with pepperjack cheese.

by Anonymousreply 87October 17, 2020 12:22 AM

[quote] [R59] - is organic tofu any better?

R66, I would say yes. Especially because organic tofu doesn't seem to cost a lot more than non-organic (unless you're on a very tight budget).

by Anonymousreply 88October 17, 2020 12:26 AM

This is an easy one, serves 4 to 6 people.

1 package Beyond Meat sausages-- regular or spicy Italian

2 containers of shaved Brussels sprouts

Some kind of pasta -- I like fussilli

1. Start boiling water for pasta

2. Cut up the sausages and saute them in olive oil for about a minute or two, then add brussels sprouts

3. Season with about 1 tbs of black pepper and fresh or dried oregano, basil and rosemary (cut up fine if fresh) plus salt to taste

4. Cook pasta and keep sausage/sprouts on low flame

5. When pasta has been removed from water by whatever means you feel is proper, add it to pan, turn up heat and cook for a minute or two

6. Drizzle on a little more olive oil before serving

7. Can add cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese or red pepper flakes when serving as well.

8. If you use vegan pasta, the whole meal is vegan too.

by Anonymousreply 89October 17, 2020 12:28 AM

You can sub any of the fake meat for things. Crumbles and make your mom's meatloaf. I've used fake chicken and make a very close resemblance to my granny's chicken pastry.

by Anonymousreply 90October 17, 2020 12:32 AM

With the frozen pastry strips.

by Anonymousreply 91October 17, 2020 12:33 AM

Sauteed portabello mushroom in balsamic reduction. We made that as a burger substitute at a restaurant where I worked, but you can eat it without the bun.

by Anonymousreply 92October 17, 2020 12:35 AM

I've been making eggless egg salad for years, everyone loves it. The most important thing is, you need to let it sit for 2-3 hours at least, but overnight is better. Then the flavors are so good. Good in a pita or with crackers.

I can't find my exact recipe online but this one is close. I also use sunflower seeds and a dash of cider vinegar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 17, 2020 12:46 AM

[qute]Four Cheese Lasagna ( with REAL cheese)

Who the hell would make four-cheese lasagna with fake cheese?

by Anonymousreply 94October 17, 2020 12:47 AM

Vegans, R94.

by Anonymousreply 95October 17, 2020 1:28 AM

But I don’t think vegans would create a lasagne with 4 different vegan cheeses. It’s hard enough to find one good vegan cheese, much less 4.

by Anonymousreply 96October 17, 2020 1:50 AM

Just FYI that pickled foods legitimately cause stomach cancer in high numbers. Stomach cancer rates in Korea are sky high because of their love of kimchi. Make sure you don't eat it more than once a week

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97October 17, 2020 2:04 AM

I just had a delightful meatless Mexican meal: chiles rellenos and guacamole enchiladas. Absolutely delicious!

by Anonymousreply 98October 17, 2020 3:27 AM

?lardon?

by Anonymousreply 99October 17, 2020 3:32 AM

[quote] I marinated the tofu in tamari, olive oil, lime juice, garlic, and ginger. For the pickled veg I used cucumbers, carrots, radishes, and jalapeno. I topped the sandwich with sriracha mayo and fresh cilantro.

I don't get how it's practical to eat like this? You have something with (I think) 11 ingredients, many fresh. If you don't use many of these things in a few days they go bad. Do you just keep eating variations on this meal or do you toss the leftover cilantro or cucumbers or whatever after a couple days? And isn't it expensive?

by Anonymousreply 100October 17, 2020 3:36 AM

R100, I'm not the poster you quoted, but yes the initial "capital" investment in some of the pantry staples would probably cost some money: tamari (soy sauce basically), olive oil, vinegar (for pickling), jar of mayo, etc.

After that, you're buying lime(s), garlic, ginger, (aromatics) and some assorted vegetables. Kind of the same things you might buy, even if you ate meat.

Pickles last for a while. Yes, you'd be eating leftovers. But you'd probably be eating leftovers of meat, too.

by Anonymousreply 101October 17, 2020 4:08 AM

Lentil Stew

by Anonymousreply 102October 17, 2020 4:11 AM

Mapo tofu (traditionally the pork/beef is only used in very small amounts as an additional flavour and is NOT the focus of the dish - easily left out and often left out even by non-vegetarians). I recommend Chinese Cooking Demystified (on Youtube) for his mapo tofu recipe, it's authentic and the 1 or 2 "obscure" ingredients are easily procured from Amazon/online/local Asian market. Take the time to get the pixian red bean paste, the dish needs it. Mapo tofu is what made me realize, in the space of a single meal, that not only did I not dislike tofu (which I spent most of my life thinking did) but that I actively loved it. That dish is THE SHIT and easy to do.

by Anonymousreply 103October 17, 2020 4:49 AM

R84 I have no idea wtf is going on with your tastebuds but lemon pith IS extremely bitter and burned garlic tastes like bitter, burned poison. I agree that there is a point just before garlic burns that it can taste good but once it's burnt? Nah. Tastes like shit and ruins anything it's in.

by Anonymousreply 104October 17, 2020 4:51 AM

ratatouille,

it's surprisingly easy to make

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 17, 2020 4:54 AM

Yes, R105. Start with three large rats...

by Anonymousreply 106October 17, 2020 4:56 AM

Never had a good ratatouille. Maybe it's the textures that I don't like (everything soft).

by Anonymousreply 107October 17, 2020 4:57 AM

Pasta fagiolli

by Anonymousreply 108October 17, 2020 5:34 AM

[quote]I've used fake chicken and make a very close resemblance to my granny's chicken pastry.

I was scrolling quickly and initially read this as "a very close resemblance to [bold]my granny's chicken pussy[/bold]."

Man, I've been here too long.

by Anonymousreply 109October 17, 2020 5:36 AM

[quote]R10 for you to equate eating tofu to getting cancer or growing tits is beyond stupid.

But why risk it? Best to avoid.

These are my thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 110October 17, 2020 5:38 AM

My sister once made a shepherd's pie with lentils taking the place of ground beef. Pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 111October 17, 2020 5:38 AM

Tofu hot dogs are not one.

by Anonymousreply 112October 17, 2020 5:44 AM

How can people put that wet fleshy tofu in their mouths without gagging?

by Anonymousreply 113October 17, 2020 6:20 AM

Fried egg, roasted sweet potato, collard greens, and biscuits with molasses butter. It was one of my go to meals when times were hard.

by Anonymousreply 114October 17, 2020 6:21 AM

R113 - because it is not made of anything gross like innards and fish. It is just bean paste really.

by Anonymousreply 115October 17, 2020 6:48 AM

R110 - the risk from meat and dairy, unless you can afford organic and antibiotic free, is probably worse. Also, think about hormones and GMO's in just about everything these days. And you aren't eating soy every day but you are probably eating meat and cheese and milk much more often. I am not a vegan but it's true.

by Anonymousreply 116October 17, 2020 6:51 AM

"Pasta fagiolli"

My old recipe contained diced bacon or pancetta, which not really noticable in the soup, but which was the magic ingredient in the broth. And we ALL know there's no substitute for bacon!

I need to find a good recipe for veggie shepher'd pie ("Gardener's Pie"?), preferably one based on mushrooms. Mushrooms do form the sort of rich gravy a pie needs, and they do go well with potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 117October 17, 2020 7:44 AM

Here are some of my favorites:

Roasted vegetable quesadilla (roasted mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and onion) with cheese topped with chipotle aoli

Cheese fondue with toasted sourdough bread spears, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, pears, and red grapes

Pizza with good mozzarella, roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic, fresh basil, finished with good olive oil and a balsamic drizzle

BBQ "pulled" mushroom (chopped mushrooms sauteed in frying pan) topped with homemade coleslaw on a toasted bun, and a side of potato salad

California sandwich (sliced avocado, carrot, cream cheese, monterey jack cheese, and sprouts topped with a bit of ranch dressing on a toasted sandwich roll) (you can also add a nice heirloom tomato)

Grilled cheese sandwich (cream cheese, swiss, and gruyere on sourdough bread; I also add a bit of chipotle mayo to mine which really gives it a depth of flavor), served with creamy tomato soup

Nachos (cheese, refried beans, and sour cream [or greek yogurt]), served with guacamole and salsa

Cheese fries (melted cheddar with chopped scallions and sour cream; instead of bacon add onion Crunchies [the kind you get to put on salads, such as French's crispy fried onions or Fresh Gourmet Crispy Onions]). Or cheese fries with gravy

Red wine marinated Portobello mushroom with garlic mashed potatoes and gravy

by Anonymousreply 118October 17, 2020 9:45 AM

R117 Try some white miso paste, you'll be surprised... You could also toss in some fake bacon bits too... TVP/soy. Really salty or strong miso soup has always tasted vaguely of American bacon to me.

by Anonymousreply 119October 17, 2020 10:10 AM

[quote]for you to equate eating tofu to getting cancer or growing tits is beyond stupid.

[quote]How can people put that wet fleshy tofu in their mouths without gagging?

The fact that tofu is vile and disgusting is reason enough not to eat it. No need to cite tits or cancer.

by Anonymousreply 120October 17, 2020 10:58 AM

What people don't get is that you don't have to go all in with a vegan diet 24/7. Cutting down on meat and dairy is a good start, and if you can keep that up, hey good for you! I have cut down on meat and dairy but I would never cut them out of my diet completely, because some of it is actually good for you. A vegan diet is really not sustainable in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 121October 17, 2020 11:16 AM

What ever jackass who suggested tuna melt as a meatless meal deserves to starve

by Anonymousreply 122October 17, 2020 11:20 AM

r122 deserves to be force-fed tofu squares on Homer Simpson's donut force-feeding machine.

by Anonymousreply 123October 17, 2020 11:23 AM

No I don’t. Meatless means no meat.

And yes, I do eat tofu

by Anonymousreply 124October 17, 2020 11:25 AM

R121, yeah, I have at least one completely vegan day a week, but I’m cooking chicken mirabella tonight to feel like it is special, and it is. You just need to think about what you eat more, that’s all

by Anonymousreply 125October 17, 2020 11:26 AM

I hate tuna melts, r124. But I hate tofu more. Almost as much as I hate people who eat it.

by Anonymousreply 126October 17, 2020 11:28 AM

The problem with DL recipe threads is they quickly turn into a race to show off complex cooking techniques using obscure ingredients for recipes that take a good hour and change to prepare, followed by massive clean up of all the various pots and pans and bowls and knives and garlic presses and whatnot needed.

It doesn't have to be that way.

Beyond Meat makes a number of products that make for easy meals.

You can grill the burgers and sausages and serve with some sort of steamed vegetable.

They have resealable bags of "crumbles" -- add the beefy one to some sort of jarred pasta sauce (you can add more spices or some sort of vegetable if you feel inspired) and you have a bolognese sauce is about 5 minutes.

Cook the "feisty" with some kind of salsa (again you can add cumin or chili or cilantro if inspired) and you have filling for burrito, taco, quesadilla or you can serve it over rice. Also takes about 5 minutes.

Miyokos makes really good vegan cheeses too -- both shredded and wheels.

by Anonymousreply 127October 17, 2020 11:30 AM

R126, you are a stupid troll then

by Anonymousreply 128October 17, 2020 11:33 AM

[quote]Miyokos makes really good vegan cheeses too -- both shredded and wheels.

I like that.

for the record, Chioban has great oat milk

by Anonymousreply 129October 17, 2020 11:34 AM

[quote]The problem with DL recipe threads is they quickly turn into a race to show off complex cooking techniques using obscure ingredients for recipes that take a good hour and change to prepare

The internet is full of cooking sites devoted to 30 minute meals, one pot meals, pantry recipes, etc. DL cooking threads are full of people who enjoy cooking and don't consider time devoted to cooking as wasted. This isn't a problem.

by Anonymousreply 130October 17, 2020 1:50 PM

[quote] The internet is full of cooking sites devoted to 30 minute meals, one pot meals, pantry recipes, etc. DL cooking threads are full of overweight mincing prisspots who enjoy cooking and eating as a substitute for sex of any kind, and don't consider time devoted to cooking as wasted. This isn't a problem.

by Anonymousreply 131October 17, 2020 2:16 PM

Of course there's the whole world of egg-based main dishes.

Quiches, frittatas, omelettes, stratas, Dutch pancakes, scrambles, shirred and baked eggs, egg curries, breakfast burritos, shakshukas, egg salads, ouefs en gelee, etc. And yes, I made ouefs en gelee a couple of times when I was on a high-protien kick, it was tasty, unusual, and meatless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132October 17, 2020 3:04 PM

[quote]5. When pasta has been removed from water by whatever means you feel is proper....

🤣 R89 wins DL!

by Anonymousreply 133October 17, 2020 4:09 PM

Thank you R133

I was hoping someone would pick up on that!

by Anonymousreply 134October 17, 2020 5:47 PM

Can the meatless crumbles poster(s) share where to buy and what brand works in the bolognese dish pls?

by Anonymousreply 135October 17, 2020 7:09 PM

TVP? Textured vegetable protein.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 17, 2020 7:19 PM

morning star farms crumbles are in every grocery store. tvp is the sjw moniker.

by Anonymousreply 137October 17, 2020 7:24 PM

R135 -- it's from Beyond Meat -- there are two flavors, "Beefy" and "Fiesty"

Fiesta is more for Mexican dishes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 17, 2020 7:27 PM

I think those crumbles could work with manwich 4 slopp joes!

by Anonymousreply 139October 17, 2020 7:52 PM

Deep fried tofu..seriously good

by Anonymousreply 140October 17, 2020 8:34 PM

Sweet white miso is goddamned addictive. Used to sit down with a sleeve of crackers, just dippin' and munchin.'

by Anonymousreply 141October 17, 2020 9:52 PM

Don't eat Beyond Meat, Gardein, "veggie crumbles" — it's all, by definition, processed food. Full of chemicals.

The healthiest person I know has been vegetarian since high school, never smoked, doesn't drink, marathoner. He ate all those vegetarian substitutes.

Diagnosed with advanced colon cancer, age 42. He has been shitting in a bag for six months.

by Anonymousreply 142October 18, 2020 5:11 AM

Whenever I need a break from meat I eat poke bowls.

by Anonymousreply 143October 18, 2020 5:17 AM

Goya champuru, without pork and with shiitake dashi.

Also, another vote for chana masala. That's always good eatin' - if somebody else makes it.

by Anonymousreply 144October 18, 2020 5:43 AM

Pretty much anything.

by Anonymousreply 145October 18, 2020 6:02 AM

I had vegetable sushi for dinner last night, cucumber and avocado rolls. We're taking too many fish out of the ocean, I need to cut my fish consumption to a couple of times a year, or farmed only.

But hell, no, I won't go Vegan! They'll pry the cheese from my cold, dead, hands, and not before.

by Anonymousreply 146October 18, 2020 6:10 AM

Greek salad with hummus and pita chips 😋

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147October 18, 2020 7:18 AM

TVP is what it was called when my mother made it in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 148October 18, 2020 7:40 AM

hippies and hipsters = sjws

by Anonymousreply 149October 18, 2020 8:04 AM

Greek salad is good but also a traditional nacreous salad.

by Anonymousreply 150October 18, 2020 11:07 AM

mac and cheese

by Anonymousreply 151October 18, 2020 1:46 PM

[R100] Reply 100× I marinated the tofu in tamari, olive oil, lime juice, garlic, and ginger. For the pickled veg I used cucumbers, carrots, radishes, and jalapeno. I topped the sandwich with sriracha mayo and fresh cilantro. I don't get how it's practical to eat like this? You have something with (I think) 11 ingredients, many fresh. If you don't use many of these things in a few days they go bad. Do you just keep eating variations on this meal or do you toss the leftover cilantro or cucumbers or whatever after a couple days? And isn't it expensive?

—Anonymous

[quote]I'm not the poster you quoted, but yes the initial "capital" investment in some of the pantry staples would probably cost some money: tamari (soy sauce basically), olive oil, vinegar (for pickling), jar of mayo, etc. After that, you're buying lime(s), garlic, ginger, (aromatics) and some assorted vegetables. Kind of the same things you might buy, even if you ate meat. Pickles last for a while. Yes, you'd be eating leftovers. But you'd probably be eating leftovers of meat, too.

My problem with not that it was more complicated than eating meat, just that it was a lot of ingredients that make it impractical, and expensive. It's just a sandwich. If you want a meatless meal you could also have some pasta and oil, a little garlic, with a salad. Or some vegetables on the said.

by Anonymousreply 152October 18, 2020 3:31 PM

*yikes I really screwed that up. Top part should have all been in quotes and the word is side. lol

by Anonymousreply 153October 18, 2020 3:32 PM

For those who shop at Trader Joe's....here are two quick, easy vegetarian dishes/recipes when you're in a hurry, or just don't have the energy to mess around with a bunch of prep work.

1 box TJ's Latin Style Black Bean Soup

1 can TJ's Cuban Style Black Beans, drained (OR plain black beans = less sodium)

1 pkg TJ's Chimichurri Rice (frozen section)

Empty all into a pot (no need to defrost the rice) & mix together. Bring to a simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Garnish with green onions, cilantro, shredded jack, sour cream, chopped avocado, tortilla strips, etc.....if you have them around. It's still good (and filling) without any of that stuff. Option for meat-eaters reading the thread, or those who lived in "mixed" households: add any of TJ's pre-cooked chicken sausages, sliced into coins. (I recommend the Jalapeno or Andouille if you like a little heat)

1 pkg TJ's Steamed Lentils

1 jar TJ's Bruschetta (pasta sauce aisle)

1 container TJ's Crumbled Feta

Fresh basil leaves, chopped

Mix lentils & bruschetta in a bowl, then add/mix-in the feta & basil. Serve.

Trader Joe's demo/sample stand used to feature this recipe often, especially during the summer. It's really nice when chilled as a side dish for a BBQ or picnic -- or as a main dish for vegetarians. I'm not a huge feta-lover (a little goes a long way with me) so I just use half of a container. Or skip the feta entirely, if you don't eat dairy -- it's still yummy.

I also love the steamed lentil/bruschetta combo HOT, when the weather is chilly. Just throw the lentils & bruschetta in a pot, stir, and heat on stove top -- or mix in a bowl & nuke them in the microwave. I don't even bother with the feta & fresh basil. (if you're going to add crumbled feta, wait til after it's heated)

Note: this can also be made with TJ's Fresh Bruschetta (in the refrigerated-dip section), however, you have to drain off all the oil. I prefer the jarred bruschetta for this recipe, especially if I'm going to heat it.

by Anonymousreply 154October 18, 2020 10:59 PM

Cooked this five-a-day toad-in-the-hole today, and it was delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155October 18, 2020 11:23 PM

looks dry

by Anonymousreply 156October 19, 2020 2:13 AM

R142 you’re assuming his diet gave him cancer. My brother died of colon cancer, age 43. Ate a lot of meat, especially cold cuts. I’m not going to claim the meat gave him cancer becasue we just do not know.

Finally, and this must be the 5th time I’ve posted this, many of us are vegan/vegetarian for ethical reasons, not for health reasons. In other words, we don’t want to contribute to the suffering of non-human animals.

I haven’t eaten meat in 26 years and I feel great. And once you stop, it’s hard to view it as food again.

by Anonymousreply 157October 19, 2020 2:27 AM

"And once you stop, it’s hard to view it as food again."

It's true! I didn't intend to become a lifelong vegetarian, I had intended to take a month off meat to make a point after arguing with someone about the meat industry and how living without meat wasn't a problem for a person who likes good food.

And now... I can't look at a burger without thinking "dead cow", same for crispy bacon and fried chicken, foods I've always loved, and which have no vegetarian substitute. Well, there are plenty of other foods I love, I don't miss the taste of meat like I thought i would, and now the thought of eating any repulses me.

by Anonymousreply 158October 19, 2020 3:08 AM

Back in March, when local stores were having food shortages etc., I went on lockdown and stopped eating meat as a "save food" (yes, I'm a paranoid type) measure - as well as a "use kitchen space for non-perishables" measure.

I've basically been a straight vegan since then and you know what? I don't miss flesh ANYTHING LIKE I thought I would. I do miss dairy, though - specifically cheese. That's the item got me up at night, dreaming of it. Not meat though. Which is very weird because I genuinely assumed it would be hell.

by Anonymousreply 159October 19, 2020 3:23 AM

My point is: People think these mass-produced vegetarian substitutes — Beyond Meat, Impossible Burgers, veggie patties, crumbles, and sausages — are "healthy." They are not. They are processed food shot full of chemicals. (And Impossible Burgers have as much saturated fat—and way more sodium—than regular meat.)

There's going to be a huge scandal down the road, when all this processed, chemical-packed stuff is directly linked to cancer, just as processed meat has been. We're going to think, "How did we fall for this?" like we fell for the low-fat craze of the '70s and '80s that turned out to be junk science that made us a nation of fatties.

If you don't want to eat meat, great. Stick with vegetables, nuts, beans, seeds, healthy oils. Avoid processed stuff. Any dietitian will say the same.

by Anonymousreply 160October 19, 2020 3:30 AM

The best vegetarian is East Indian...many from there are vegetarian..such varieties and even entire vegetarian restaurants!

by Anonymousreply 161October 19, 2020 4:02 AM

"My point is: People think these mass-produced vegetarian substitutes — Beyond Meat, Impossible Burgers, veggie patties, crumbles, and sausages — are "healthy." They are not."

That doesn't mean they have no place in a person's diet. Better to eat some bizarro-world unhealthy meat substitute occasionally than to eat horrible processed dead cows rendered to unhealthy "pink slime", if you're having a day when you miss burgers so much you cry every time you pass a fast-food joint.

But fake meats shouldn't be a dietary staple.

by Anonymousreply 162October 19, 2020 4:04 AM

R142 Vegetarian or vegan burgers can be made from kinds of things: vegetables soy, quinoa, mushrooms, nuts, rice, tempeh - usually some combination of the above. Just about anything “processed” is not going to be healthy, and will be full of added salt, etc. Guess what, that also includes restaurant food., which is heavily salted to be appealing. “Processed” Food also includes chips, cookies, frozen vegetables with sauces (Green Giant Brocolli with Butter Sauce)., canned soups, jarred pasta sauce, etc.

Vegetarian burgers can be made at home and if so, are can be much healthier, as you control the ingredients.

I don’t know about other people, but while I enjoy a Beyond Meat or Impossible Burger, it’s a couple of times of month. They’re rich and not something I can eat on a weekly basis. But when you get a burger craving, they’re a wonderful, guilt-free substitute!

I do enjoy processed and/or unhealthy things like chips, baked goods from Trader Joe’s, canned soups, take out food, etc. I just try to eat mostly what I make myself and that has been easier during lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 163October 19, 2020 10:30 AM

[quote] Better to eat some bizarro-world unhealthy meat substitute occasionally than to eat horrible processed dead cows rendered to unhealthy "pink slime", if you're having a day when you miss burgers so much you cry every time you pass a fast-food joint.

yup, just like a sirloin steak, which had all kinds of weird things done to the poor cow, the fake meats should be considered a treat. when prepared well they are. I don't eat either habitually

by Anonymousreply 164October 19, 2020 12:49 PM

Tonight I'm going to listen to a Zoom talk by Jonathan Safran Foer on his book [italic]We are the Weather[/italic] , in which he presents the case that the best hope we have for defeating climate change is to stop factory farming, even as he admits he is far from perfect in eating vegetarianly. He admits to eating burgers, especially when he's in airports, and is fully aware of his hypocrisy.

I guess the pandemic is working out for him, eatingwise. He's touring the book using Zoom rather than flying.

As for me, I'm in a bacon and eggs phase right now. Off to the breakfast room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 19, 2020 1:18 PM

he's a weirdo

by Anonymousreply 166October 19, 2020 1:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!