Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Reba McEntire to Star in NBC 'Fried Green Tomatoes' Series.

Reba McEntire is taking on a new role.

The 65-year-old singer and actress is set to star in a series based on Fried Green Tomatoes at NBC, Variety reported Wednesday (October 14).

Here’s a plot summary: “The hour-long drama project is described as a modernization of the novel and movie that explores the lives of descendants from the original work. When present-day Idgie Threadgoode (McEntire) returns to Whistle Stop after a decade away, she must wrestle with a changed town, estranged daughter, faltering cafe and life-changing secret.”

She will also executive produce the show, along with Norman Lear, who was an executive producer on the 1991 film.

Fannie Flagg, author of the original novel Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe and co-writer of the film’s screenplay, will also executive produce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2020 1:46 AM

Christ! Norman lear is still alive!

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2020 8:47 PM

What is NBC?

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2020 8:49 PM

Will Reba be enjoying some lesbian action? Maybe they could cast her former stepdaughter in law, Kelly Clarkson as her love interest.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2020 8:49 PM

Lipless Reba!

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2020 8:50 PM

Her show Reba was actually very good. I still watch when I run into a repeat, since it runs in syndication.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2020 8:53 PM

Finally the movie spinoff we’ve been waiting for!

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2020 8:56 PM

Estranged daughter? Wut? Why the hell call her Idgie Threadgoode if you're not going to make her a lesbian.

This movie project sounds even more straight-washed than the movie, (which I still loved).

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2020 9:00 PM

My first thought is someone made this up using Mad Libs and a copy of People from 1991.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2020 9:22 PM

she been rumored for decades to be lez.....is she? dolly too.....

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2020 10:12 PM

She'd be better off playing the Kathy Bates role of the put-upon housewife. It's a much better part and she'd have fun with the "I have better insurance" line.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2020 11:08 PM

R9, I have another question: is she a Trumper?

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2020 11:27 PM

They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2020 1:02 AM

I won't be watching it -- and I like Reba and loved the movie.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2020 2:14 AM

She could be named AFTER Idgie you Idgets.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2020 2:25 AM

[quote] Christ! Norman lear is still alive!

They were high school classmates.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2020 6:57 AM

Book Idgie was a lesbian and a different character to the old lady in the nursing home. Movie Idgie had a husband and kids. They changed the whole tenor of the story just to have that gotcha moment of Jessica Tandy and Mary Stuart Masterson being the same character. But if Fannie Flagg is involved I don’t think it will be straightwashed

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2020 7:22 AM

]quote] that gotcha moment of Jessica Tandy and Mary Stuart Masterson being the same character

I was so fucking confused about this. I watched FGT when I was 7 years old and couldn't figure out whothe Jessica Tandy character was.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2020 8:40 AM

Fannie's a lez, yes. Glad to see her get some coin.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2020 8:55 AM

[quote]Movie Idgie had a husband and kids. They changed the whole tenor of the story just to have that gotcha moment of Jessica Tandy and Mary Stuart Masterson being the same character.

Movie Idgie didnt have a husband and son. The Jessica Tandy character was her sister in law, even though they seemed to hint at something different at the end.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2020 9:16 PM

Also, the Mary Stuart Masterson character died from cancer half way through the movie, so I'm not sure how you think she could be sitting in a nursing home decades later.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2020 9:19 PM

Ooops, scratch that. I got my Marys confused. Still, they were two different characters. Ninny (Jessica Tandy) was married to Idgie's brother Cleo, and had a handicapped son with him.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2020 9:35 PM

Sounds like a winner to me. I’ll watch.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2020 9:40 PM

I was a kid when I saw the movie with my mom at AMC. Mom didn’t appreciate the implied lesbian love scene when the 2 female leads are getting ready to lap each others pussies on a summer night by the pond.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2020 9:45 PM

It's embarrassing that Norman Lear can only sell rehashes of his old shows anymore.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2020 6:52 AM

He's 120 years old r24.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2020 7:03 AM

He tried to sell a show about a retirement home to the networks, but no one wanted it. [italic]The Cool Kids[/italic] beat him to the punch and still failed miserably.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2020 8:07 AM

R20 it is heavily implied in the end of the movie that Jessica Tandy’s character is Idgie

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2020 8:19 AM

[quote]He tried to sell a show about a retirement home to the networks, but no one wanted it.

It's been done before, it's called "The Golden Girls."

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2020 2:51 PM

What Confederate-pandering bullshit is this going to contain?

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2020 2:52 PM

Didn't Reba get outed as a homophobe at some point or other?

And isn't she a rightwing Trump supporter?

Or am I thinking of some other low-class, bad-acting, weird-looking Reba?

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2020 2:53 PM

You must be confusing her with Jimmie Walker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2020 3:10 PM

I had to do some correspondence with Fannie a couple of years ago for work. She only communicates via fax!!!

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2020 3:33 PM

Reba isn’t going to play a lesbian. This is weird casting.

Idgie should be played by the soft butch Kelly Clarkson.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2020 2:06 AM

yep, long time lez

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2020 2:33 AM

Is she going to pronounce it "toe maters"?

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2020 3:41 AM

When did Reba get dowsed with the Joker's Smile-X gas?

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2020 8:38 AM

The whole thing is about closeted lesbianism in the awful South. Isn’t Reba a hardcore Trumper despite working on Broadway? I seriously doubt she’s comfortable with rug munching.

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2020 1:10 PM

What age will Reba's character be? Just asking, because Reba has had so much -- and pretty good -- plastic surgery that her face hasn't aged in the past forty years.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2020 1:14 PM

R37 That isn't the "whole" thing. Remember Kathy Bate's character, it wasn't about lesbianism. It is about women finding their voice in general, not just lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2020 3:34 PM

I'm looking forward to this. Love Reba! She's very pro gay and a great actress.

Maybe her idols Barbara Mandrell and Dolly will make guest appearances.

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2020 3:36 PM

Wasn’t it also implied that Kathy Bates’ character was closeted and hearing the stories gave her confidence to come out and leave her husband? Doesn’t she set up a Sarah Paulson/Holland Taylor relationship in the end with Jessica Tandy’s character?

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2020 3:56 PM

R41 No. She was just an unhappy timid housewife, not a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2020 4:06 PM

I refuse to believe that both Norman Lear and Fannie Flagg are still alive.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2020 4:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2020 5:14 PM

[quote]Remember Kathy Bate's character

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2020 5:40 PM

Yes R27, but that is the only scene which does this. A bunch of other scenes make it clear they're different people. Copied this from IMDB:

1. Ninny states in the nursing home during her first scene that she was practically adopted by the Threadgoode family, not born directly into it.

2. Ninny Threadgoode also states that she married Cleo Threadgoode, another one of Idgie's brothers. However, Cleo Threadgoode never appears by name in the film, and neither does Ninny, so the confusion is understandable.

3. During the wedding scene near the beginning, a child-aged Idgie is on her brother Buddy's back while Ninny says in voiceover that she (Ninny) had always had a crush on Buddy, rather than "Idgie always had a crush on Buddy." Even if she was trying to pretend that she and Idgie were separate people, it doesn't seem likely that Idgie would describe herself as having a "crush" on her own brother.

4. Towards the end of the movie Ninny says that Sipsey confessed on her deathbed the full truth of Frank Bennett's death. Idgie knew the truth from the beginning, so Sipsey would have no reason to confess if Ninny were Idgie.

5. Mrs. Otis, Ninny's friend and roommate, was also present at Sipsey's confession, meaning that she would know both Idgie and Ninny if they were separate people. Mrs Otis' adult daughter confirms that her mother has been Ninny's neighbor for many years. Even though we never see Ninny and Mrs Otis interact in the film, it seems likely Mrs Otis would have noticed that her long-time friend "Idgie" was suddenly calling herself "Ninny."

The implication that Ninny and Idgie are the same person, therefore, is impossible based on several other points in the film.

The book makes it clear that Ninny and Idgie are different people, as Ninny has died and Evelyn is visiting her grave when she finds the jar of honey and the note on Ruth's tombstone. A final scene confirms that Idgie now runs a roadside stand with her brother Julian (the boy who made fun of Idgie at the wedding), where they sell honey while Idgie entertains visitors with her tall tales.

by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2020 5:43 PM

Apparently it’s a Fried Green Tomato Renaissance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 20, 2020 11:37 PM

I am not quite sure how Reba can find time to do this project and play "The Joker" in Batman films.

by Anonymousreply 48October 20, 2020 11:48 PM

[quote]it doesn't seem likely that Idgie would describe herself as having a "crush" on her own brother.

You ain't never been to the South then.

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2020 1:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!