Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Way I See It" by Pete Souza

This photo documentary of the Obama Presidency airs Friday October 16 on MSNBC.

Definitely worth watching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2020 2:32 AM

This is wonderful, it shows major shade at Trump.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 3:39 AM

throws^^

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 3:39 AM

God, we needed this trip down memory lane at this very point in time to remind us how it should, and will again, be.

Thank you, Pete Souza. Thank you, President Obama

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 3:48 AM

I saw his interview with Nicole Wallace today and found out his mother died last week. Added another dimension to the documentary, Mary! I know, but I’m in tears watching this. Obama wasn’t perfect, but he was a once in a lifetime President. I’m happy to have been here for it.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 3:51 AM

(And along comes Joy Reid to ruin the mood with her brand of post-documentary commentary. The mute button is a wonderful invention.)

No "Mary," R4. Plenty of reasons tonight for our tears. Mrs. Souza's death added a poignant sense of hope and familiarity for the coming weeks: remember how then-Senator Obama's grandmother died the day before his presidential election.

I'm starting my Christmas shopping buying copies of "Shade" tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 4:14 AM

I’ve set my dvr, thanks for the heads up

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 4:21 AM

It's two hours long?

Please tell me that Joy Reid doesn't provide commentary.

I can't stand her.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 4:47 AM

I did start tearing up five minutes in, but overall it was a wonderful and uplifting documentary.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 4:51 AM

Where was this originally released, and how can this be distributed to more viewers?

It's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 5:06 AM

I think most of the tears shed were over what we were and what we have become. The fact that we went from Obama to this current steaming pile of shit so toxic that he couldn't even be used as fertilizer when he croaks, is what got to people. I can't even begin to imagine how anyone could look at someone like Trump and not immediately be repulsed by him. This goes well beyond politics. You could respectfully disagree with Obama on politics, but to ever dismiss his decency as a human being and think the Trump family "restored dignity" to the WH, means you need to go see a psychiatrist because you're just a damaged person who needs professional help.

The father from Sandy Hook said it best: “There is no substitute for empathy. It is a foundational relationship between human beings.”

And Peter S. is fucking awesome. The shade on his IG is perfection.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 6:03 AM

The shade...

[quote]petesouza Verified: Back when “stand back and stand by” was said in jest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 6:57 AM

Just brilliant. I cried so many times I lost count. Pete Souza is an artist, and my God, do I love Obama.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 8:33 AM

How in the fuck did we go from Obama to Trump?

It's mind boggling.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 8:37 AM

White, racist trash - that's how.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2020 8:39 AM

I watched it a few hours ago and the film is brilliant! I remember going on the Flickr website during the Obama years and scrolling through the White House photos. There were so many amazing pictures during those years. I'm going to watch the film again because it was so good and I find Obama and his family comforting. Thank you Pete Souza!!!

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2020 9:29 AM

Where did you watch it, R15?

I saw it on MSNBC, but I would love to see it again online.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2020 9:31 AM

[quote] How in the fuck did we go from Obama to Trump?

Us Liberals got complacent and we underestimated / didn't know about the powers that pushed Trump upon us (Putin, the Mercers, Steve Bannon, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 10:00 AM

R16, I watched the rerun on MSNBC... I live in Europe and I woke up about 6:30 this morning to watch Rachel Maddow. I had no idea the film was airing last night. Rachel segued into film after her show.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2020 10:10 AM

I hope it will be on Youtube I'd like to watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2020 10:17 AM

It was beautiful. The contrast to what we have become was stark. We had so much promise and possibility under Obama. Words cannot describe our current status under the forever impeached President COVID.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2020 10:33 AM

👏👏👏 r10.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2020 11:44 AM

Thanks to MSNBC for showing this commercial free but please stop trying to make Joy Reid happen, people either love her or hate her, the ones who love her can watch her show, but stop making me leave your shows for sticking her into everything.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2020 12:49 PM

Wow. I just finished watching this and I think I cried through most of it all - the Obama years of course.

Let’s hope and pray that soon we will get back to where we were under Obama/Biden and the last four years will be a bad dream.

Please VOTE.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2020 4:28 PM

[quote] Wow. I just finished watching this and I think I cried through most of it all - the Obama years of course.

Same here.

And although I understand the point that Souza was trying to make about Ron and Nancy being "compassionate" and "empathetic," I can't help but think of Reagan's many policies which were just the opposite.

There's a whole lot to be said about the people who died under Reagan's own cruel policies, and I'll just leave it at that.

So as not to ruin the good feeling of the documentary.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2020 8:48 PM

My favorite part was seeing the White House lit up with rainbow colors, and Obama presiding over the the wedding of Pete Souza and his now wife, in the Rose Garden. That was cool.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2020 8:49 PM

It's airing again on MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2020 2:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!