Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cold beaches

In places like Oregon, Washington, New England, Alaska.

Do people still pay a premium to live next to them? Do they ever get in the water?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115Last Tuesday at 12:29 AM

Some New England beaches are swimmable in summer.

by Anonymousreply 110/14/2020

I'd think it's mostly about the view rather than the swimming possibilities. Plus, even if you can't swim, there's still recreational opportunities. Heck, even just walking on the beach is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 210/14/2020

What R2 said. Sort of the same reason people buy lakeside cabins in cold, mountainous, foresty areas. The water is much too cold to swim in, but you can admire the view and do other activities there.

by Anonymousreply 310/14/2020

The Pacific ocean is cold almost everywhere North of Mexico. Lots of people go to the cold water in SoCal.

by Anonymousreply 410/14/2020

Here’s a cozy retreat right on the water on the north shore of Lake Superior. That water is never never warmer than 50 degrees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510/14/2020

R4, I'm a southern California native and didn't realize our beaches were cold until a relative from back east visited in the dead of summer and declared how cold the water is. Your body does adjust to the temp though.

Norcal and farther north -- forget it, the water is freezing.

by Anonymousreply 610/14/2020

Well I cannot speak about West Coast beaches I can about those on the East Coast. People do pay a premium to be on the water regardless of how cold it is.

The further south you go in New England the warmer the water is during the high season. Currents have more to do with the temperature then you might realize. It depends on the location of those currents from the coast.

So interestingly enough a place like Prince Edward Island in Canada can have warmer water and areas due south.

by Anonymousreply 710/14/2020

As someone from the East Coast, I was SHOCKED at how cold the water was the first time I went in the ocean on Venice Beach, California.

by Anonymousreply 810/14/2020

I've only visited East Coast beaches. Even in the hottest weeks of August, the Atlantic City beach water was cold. In South Carolina, the beach water was chilly, but you got used to it after the first minute or so. At this point, any beach south of Florida is too cold for me, even in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 910/14/2020

I always considered New England, NY and NJ beaches to be dirty...lots of seaweed, rocks and other assorted items (particularly in NY and NJ). Florida beaches were always so much prettier to me. Plus the water was warmer and more clean and clear.

by Anonymousreply 1010/14/2020

I grew up near a cold beach. Ocean Beach in SF. Huge beach, cold water, damp sand, undertow, fog, some sun. I loved being near the water but rarely went in except to wade. There are surfers along that part of the North Coast, especially around Pacifica, but they wear wet suits for warmth.

I'm not sure about paying a premium to live near Ocean Beach. The weather isn't great and there is a lot of structural damage from the cold salt air. SF is ridiculously over priced anyway and the neighborhoods by Ocean Beach aren't grand, but a good view will likely cost more.

There is no comparison between a cold beach and a tropical warm one where you can lay in the shallow gentle waves as they wash over you. Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 1110/14/2020

R10 - Florida beaches are boring and not pretty. Sure, you get the sand and water - but there's nothing more than that visually. No cliffs, hills, rocky bays, mountains nearby.

Florida beaches are basically land-based sandbars next to uninteresting, flat land.

by Anonymousreply 1210/14/2020

Why would anyone 'swim' in the ocean? The water is toxic; it's full of junk and dead things; riptides, rogue waves, sharks... You're just baiting disaster.

by Anonymousreply 1310/14/2020

R12, Florida beaches are the only beaches in America that have the look idealized in postcards: the clear light blue water. Or, clear light green water on Florida's gulf coast. The upper west coast of Florida (Pensacola, Panama City, Mexico City) has soft sand that looks and feels like baby powder. And the water is clear green, like an Emerald color. You can open your eyes in the water and see 30 feet in front of you. The waves are small and gentle. The view is soothingly simple. It's like three horizontal stripes: tan/white (sand) - green (water) - blue (sky).

by Anonymousreply 1410/14/2020

R13 MARY!

by Anonymousreply 1510/14/2020

On the East Coast of Florida, the northern beaches (Daytona) look like the New England beaches with huge waves and green-blue-brown water. But as you head South towards Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, the water turns into an almost clear, light blue color. The waves get smaller and gentler too. Sometimes the water feels so warm, it's like being in a warm bath.

by Anonymousreply 1610/14/2020

Absolutely. One, for the view alone.

Two, your body acclimates past the initial shock and it's so refreshing on a hot day. I only grew up with cold beaches and was SHOCKED at how pleasant tropical beaches are, like Hawaii or Puerto Rico.

Here's a nice example on Lake Huron in Michigan. Enjoy the frauen flopping in the sea. But $180k is a steal for (NICE) beachfront property, and no fucking hurricanes or tsunamis or other bullshit to worry about as with the ocean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1710/14/2020

As r11 mentioned, people surf all along “cold beaches” here in Northern California. People even surf in Alaska.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1810/14/2020

People in New York pay a premium for views of the East or Hudson Rivers, even though they have absolutely no intention of ever swimming in them.

by Anonymousreply 1910/14/2020

You can surf Lake Superior in the winter:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2010/14/2020

The Jersey Shore is long r10, and some beaches are classically pretty and carribean like.

Try Isand Beach out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2110/14/2020

I used to love the Gulf of Mexico because I hate cold water. But it is starting to get too hot.

by Anonymousreply 2210/14/2020

[quote]The Jersey Shore is long [R10], and some beaches are classically pretty and carribean like.

Yes, people routinely confuse the beaches in New Jersey with those in St. John's and Barbados.

by Anonymousreply 2310/14/2020

Interesting, OP, I never heard anyone use the term “cold beaches” before, but it perfectly describes it.

by Anonymousreply 2410/14/2020

Apparently, even wading knee-deep off the coast of Oregon can be rather dangerous. This site tells you all about the lovely dangers lurking beneath over there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2510/14/2020

Cold beach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2610/14/2020

R26, lol.

by Anonymousreply 2710/14/2020

My grandmother has a house on the beach in England.

It's quite lovely -- as long as you don't actually go in the water.

by Anonymousreply 2810/14/2020

My in-laws bought a piece of property in a sleepy Coastal Seatown in Maine for a vacation place for their family in the 60's. It came with a run-down Porter's lodge from an old Inn but had a stunning view ( you know, the high cliff over-looking the rocky coast and ocean.)

Over the years, they tore down the original structure, and built what would be their dream home and retired there. After they passed on, and the kids were split up all over the Country, my husband and his siblings decided to sell it as part of the Estate. $850,000 later....

by Anonymousreply 2910/14/2020

There are some places where the water is almost too hot to swim in. I worked in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, which is right on the Red Sea. The water there is VERY warm in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 3010/14/2020

R30, yeah, when the water is too warm, it kinda defeats the purpose of going to a beach to cool off.

by Anonymousreply 3110/14/2020

R30, I'd love to swim at a hot beach. But, being a woman, I'm wary of the type of swimsuit I'd have to wear in Saudi Arabia.

by Anonymousreply 3210/14/2020

Another LA native you never knew our water is considered cold. I remember the first time I went to Miami I was stunned by the water! Felt more like bathwater.

But, as others have said, being near the water is about so much more than swimming. Not to get all new age-y, but it can be a bit spiritual. Also, if you're near the water, chances are you have access to fresh seafood - which is always a plus.

by Anonymousreply 3310/14/2020

I grew up on the Oregon coast. It was fucking miserable, even in the summer when the weather is nicer. The sand is coarse, and the water is rough and cold. The wind often blows sand in your face. The people who love the Oregon coast are too poor to travel to better beaches.

by Anonymousreply 3410/14/2020

That's hilarious, your insight, OP. I know at least one colleague in sociology, a graphics engineer who maps people's retinas, an accountant/tax consultant, and a coupla poets who live on the Northwest coast, and apparently love it.

by Anonymousreply 3510/14/2020

r5: I knew a guy that worked in advertising--the guy that flew a chevy onto the top of a chimney butte in Utah (I think it was Utah) who loaned us his cabin on the Au Train river, about a quarter-mile from the lake. Beautiful up there in summer. But Superior was just lovely to look at, and bathe hiking-weary feet in. I jumpt in once because of those giant biting deer flies.

by Anonymousreply 3610/14/2020

and if you ever want the exact opposite of one of these beaches, try Bahia Hondo in the Key West chain. In early May the sun is already like a magnifying glass down on your head, the rock lobsters are right out there in the wadeable reefs, and clear Caribbean water, it was gorgeous last time I was there. Long time ago now though.

by Anonymousreply 3710/14/2020

In Maine, the water typically isn't warm enough until late July,or August. But people do swim. Yes.

by Anonymousreply 3810/14/2020

R137, I agree. The water is that beautiful clear color. And if you walk across the street, then you're at another beach with green water (gulf side). On either side, the beach is just a tiny slither of sand. It's one of the few beaches with good sand.

If you go all the way down to Key West, the best beach is at Fort Zachary, but the ocean floor is covered in broken off pieces of coral reef. (Ouch!) And there are huge cruise ships sailing through your view of the horizon.

by Anonymousreply 3910/14/2020

I've swam in the water at Nova Scotia beaches and I've found the temps in August to be quite acceptable. Maybe not lukewarm but certainly not uncomfortable. I've been told that the water is even warmer in September but so far I haven't verified this.

by Anonymousreply 4010/14/2020

I don’t go in the water much at all, but I like to go to the coast for the scenery, the wildlife, watching the waves and surfers, photography, etc. And just because the water is cold doesn’t mean it’s too cold to relax or sunbathe. Vancouver has a nice clothing optional beach with very pretty scenery. I wasn’t there in the summer, but I know it’s quite popular.

by Anonymousreply 4110/14/2020

I totally agree with R38. I live on the Maine seacoast and will only go for a swim in the ocean during August. But I love the ocean year round and cannot imagine not living nearby.

by Anonymousreply 4210/14/2020

The water temperature in the Pacific is frigid, but what beautiful scenery.

by Anonymousreply 4310/14/2020

[quote]I've swam in the water at Nova Scotia beaches

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4410/14/2020

Cold-water beaches aren't for swimming, they're for hanging out on, sunbathing on, or taking long bracing walks on! And yes, taking a long bracing walk on an uncrowded beach, which the surf roars and the sun sparkles and the seagulls wheel over and the cold wind reddens your cheeks, well, it's not the same as a tropical beach crowded with guys in speedos, but it's wonderful in a very different way.

Because yes, the cold-water beaches don't tend to be crowded. Here's 30 Mile Beach about an hour north of San Francisco, where you'll see maybe a dozen people on the beach near the few parking lots. You could take a fifty-mile walk there and hardly see anyone except birds and seals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4510/14/2020

[quote] R137, I agree.

R39, you may regret that once R137 posts.

by Anonymousreply 4610/14/2020

It's all perspective. If you've never been to a warm beach, you have no idea how cold a beach can be. You swim there because everybody around you is doing it, and they don't seem to be cold. So you accept the initial brace and get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 4710/14/2020

When I was a kid in northern California, we'd go to the beaches to hang out and enjoy the sun and scenery, and on hot summer days we'd actually go swimming in the freezing cold ocean! The same ocean where surfers wear wet suits even though they don't spend much time in the actual water!

The rule for most kids was that you had to come out of the water when your lips turned blue.

by Anonymousreply 4810/14/2020

R43 The Pacific Ocean is rather large - it’s not exactly frigid everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 4910/14/2020

R29, one of my favorite TV shows is Maine Cabin Masters. They renovate old cabins and camps all over Maine. Most aren't worth as much as your family home, though. Yours must have been really nice.

by Anonymousreply 5010/14/2020

R34, I once saw a comment from someone at Lincoln City (Oregon coast): "It was a lovely summer day at the beach! I even took off one of my sweatshirts."

by Anonymousreply 5110/14/2020

I'm in R.I. The ocean is fine for swimming in Summer. Houses on the ocean start at a million and go up to whatever Taylor Swift paid for hers. I think it broke a record.

by Anonymousreply 5210/14/2020

I grew up in Oregon and if I had the means, I'd love to have a home on the Oregon coast. I think people who don't like it think that "beach" automatically means Baywatch and ice cream. But for me, warm beaches are too crowded, the scenery is boring, the water is like a bathtub.

by Anonymousreply 5310/14/2020

I remember as a kid, swimming regularly in beaches along the southern CA coast with my sister. Thinking back, it was quite freezing cold at times and it was just accepted you ho right, be brave and just wait the ten minutes till you were numb. I figured this was what every beach was like. Then as the day grew warmer, you just let the waves bash your body around and make friends for hours. I sure don't think I would enjoy all that now at 60, whatwith the invention of sharks and riptides, etc.

I have on my bucket list to try other beaches like Florida, Texas, and East Coast.

by Anonymousreply 5410/14/2020

I always think of this when I watch Murder, She Wrote.

by Anonymousreply 5510/14/2020

Two warmest beaches I’ve ever been to:

1) Horseshoe Beach (Bermuda) in August

2) Manuel Antonio (Costa Rica) in March

Both wonderful

Coldest beach - the Apostle Islands (Lake Superior) in August.

Absolutely bone-chilling, but my brothers and I went in on a dare.

by Anonymousreply 5610/14/2020

I'm Norwegian. Here it's more about an ocean view than it is living next to a beach. I live a 5 minute walk away from the beach though, so I'm one of the lucky ones. Also, the sea temp get to the low 20s (low 70s F) in the summer, so it's actually not that bad. I live in south Norway though, north Norway is a different matter, lol.

by Anonymousreply 5710/14/2020

I'm Norwegian. Here it's more about an ocean view than it is living next to a beach. I live a 5 minute walk away from the beach though, so I'm one of the lucky ones. Also, the sea temp get to the low 20s (low 70s F) in the summer, so it's actually not that bad. I live in south Norway though, north Norway is a different matter, lol.

by Anonymousreply 5810/14/2020

There is a Norwegian poster who says he goes swimming off the coast in summer. A Norway beach sounds fatally cold to me, but I guess the water must warm up enough out there for a dip.

by Anonymousreply 5910/14/2020

R58, wow, coincidence!

by Anonymousreply 6010/14/2020

The Gulf Stream brings comparatively warm water to Norway, if I'm not mistaken.

And a current flows along the west coast of North America from Alaska to California, so the sea on all those California beaches is much colder than people expect it to be.

by Anonymousreply 6110/14/2020

Looking out over the water is a very soothing thing. Houses with a water view are always in demand. But in Florida, all along the gulf coast, and up the southeast coast, a water view comes with a hurricane warning and a huge insurance premium. In the West coast, there's no danger of that, but houses right at water's edge are vulnerable to tsunamis. The ideal west coast house would be situated on a rocky ledge 200 feet or so above ocean level. Awesome views year round, and no need to run uphill in case of an earthquake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6210/15/2020

The cabin with the Zillow listing is might pricey for a 371 sq ft "cabin".

by Anonymousreply 6310/15/2020

R59 Yes, after a heatwave the ocean temp is in the low 20s... 21-23 degrees C in summer. Perfectly fine for swimming.

by Anonymousreply 6410/15/2020

Besides being colder, the Pacific ocean is full of underwater waves. This makes scuba diving hard on a person that gets motion sick easily. Imagine barfing into your air supply at 20ft. Not fun.

This 4th generation California native moved to.Floriduh. Waco politics, but otherwise warm and quier.

by Anonymousreply 6510/15/2020

How many states can you surf the ocean and ski on the same day. Not many. California is one.

by Anonymousreply 6610/15/2020

R66 We don't have that here in Norway, but other countries in Europe do. Spain is one example.

by Anonymousreply 6710/15/2020

Grew up in New England, we would swim in the cold waters of the Atlantic every summer. Been as far north in Maine as Bar Harbor, and even there the water was fine (Sand Beach, Acadia Nat'l Park.) Florida was beautiful, but I once went to the beach on the space coast and realized I was surrounded by jellyfish (no thank you.) The only place the water was too cold to go above my ankles was Nova Scotia...which felt like ice water. You can adjust to cold water swimming... it takes a few minutes at first, and each time you go in it's easier. After a week, you just walk in and go under without qualms.

by Anonymousreply 6810/15/2020

British Columbia has some lovely oceanfront with, what I imagine, is rather cold and unswimmable water.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6910/15/2020

R44 Outing myself as the poster, I'm embarrassed because I'm a hard core grammar Nazi. Swim, Swam, SWUM ! My excuse - senility .

by Anonymousreply 7010/15/2020

When I was a youngster I vacationed at Falcon Lake in the south-eastern part of Manitoba known as the Whiteshell. The lake water was frigid and my feet ached from the cold. To add insult to injury, the lake was infested with leeches which we called blood suckers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7110/15/2020

Oregon surfing -- feel free to mute the annoying music. These guys must be a little bit crazy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7210/15/2020

R71, yikes. The leeches sound worse than the cold water!

by Anonymousreply 7310/15/2020

Surfers gonna surf...

by Anonymousreply 7410/15/2020

Not for beachfront R63. And GOOD beach - not shitty rock beach. The cabin itself is inconsequential.

You can get a house non waterfront for far less.

by Anonymousreply 7510/15/2020

Otherwise, for over a half mill (instead of 180k in the R17 example) you can have this ostentatious house, still in the middle of blue collar land...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7610/15/2020

But doesn't your furniture rot being so close to the sea?

by Anonymousreply 7710/15/2020

I am excessively jealous of people who have waterfront property. Lake, river, ocean, stream; I'd be happy with any if they're on the water. I'm a mile from a river, 30 miles from an ocean, but I'd love to be closer. I'd really love an acre with a year-round stream. Nothing like splashing in a babbling brook on a hot day.

by Anonymousreply 7810/15/2020

[quote] In the West coast, there's no danger of that, but houses right at water's edge are vulnerable to tsunamis.

How common are tsunamis on the West Coast?

by Anonymousreply 7910/15/2020

I grew up outside city and spent summers going out to Jones Beach on Long Island. Love love Atlantic Ocean. Now living outside Seattle we’ve taken our son to the Oregon Coast. It is incredible. Cannon Beach (where they filmed Goonies) is breathtaking. I would never ever swim in there though. Everyone should experience it though once in their life

by Anonymousreply 8010/15/2020

I grew up swimming in Long Island Sound. The water didn’t seem to be that cold, but I remember seeing my knees and scars turn purple from the cold.

Now we swim in the Atlantic in East Hampton. The water gets very pleasant in July and August.

Even the Caribbean isn’t idyllic. we had taken a trip to Barbados one year, and one side of the island had colder, rougher, darker water than the other. We commented how similar it was to the EH water. Didn’t bother us.

by Anonymousreply 8110/15/2020

r17 is "10 minutes from Oscoda"!

by Anonymousreply 82Last Friday at 3:22 AM

[quote]some beaches are classically pretty and carribean like.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 83Last Friday at 6:16 AM

Not very, R3, but cliffside homes have other issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84Last Friday at 8:16 AM

oops, r84 was meant for r79.

The most recent tsunami in California was one in 2011 that wrecked a few docks in Crescent City and Santa Cruz, and caused minor damage elsewhere. It was generated by the Fukushima earthquake.

by Anonymousreply 85Last Friday at 8:20 AM

I noticed a lot of tsunami evacuation route signs off the Northern California and Oregon coasts.

by Anonymousreply 86Last Friday at 4:09 PM

The "big one" , a subduction zone in the Cascadia fault, is expected any time now and will likely generate a 20-40 foot tsunami from northern California to Vancouver Island. Some places, like Long Beach Washington, which has no high ground, will be wiped off the map completely.

by Anonymousreply 87Last Friday at 4:15 PM

The Mid-Atlantic beaches are the best swimming beaches. The Atlantic is nice and comfortable in the summer compared to the frigid Pacific. A couple of things I noticed from growing up near the Atlantic in New Jersey compared to the Pacific where I go on weekends.

The Atlantic: the sand is nicer, there are not any natural rocks, the water is warmer, the sea breezes are warmer, the late afternoons are fantastic, the people less insane, the smell of the ocean is strong and you can smell it before you get near it.

The Pacific: The sand is courser, some beaches are just rocks, the sand is dirtier, the waves are gigantic, the sting rays are a menace, the wind off the ocean is freezing even on some of the hottest days, barely any ocean smell, and the people are pretty much insane.

by Anonymousreply 88Last Friday at 5:51 PM

R87, people have been saying that the big one is coming in that area for 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 89Last Friday at 9:04 PM

I love cold bitches.

by Anonymousreply 90Last Friday at 9:06 PM

Chile has some gorgeous cold beaches.

by Anonymousreply 91Last Friday at 10:13 PM

[quote]Florida beaches were always so much prettier to me. Plus the water was warmer and more clean and clear.

Sure, if you don't mind the gross, rotten egg smell of red tide or brain eating amoebas.

by Anonymousreply 92Last Friday at 10:48 PM

Clear water beach is lovely. Serene at sunset in October.

by Anonymousreply 93Last Saturday at 2:01 AM

[quote] Chile has some gorgeous cold beaches.

Which ones, R91?

by Anonymousreply 94Last Saturday at 3:45 AM

I went to Chile last year, during July, the Chilean winter. Hit several beaches, and they looked almost exactly like Californian beaches! Some were the small rocky coves that are so common on the California coast, and the beach at La Serena was long and wide, and stretched the entire length of the city, like the ones around LA.

But then, in Central Chile near Santiago, much of the landscape looked just like Southern California.

by Anonymousreply 95Last Saturday at 5:56 AM

The Atlantic Seaboard beaches in Cape Town are gorgeous but too cold for swimming. I think the beaches on the False Bay side of the cape are slightly warmer and swimmable during the hottest days of summer (just watch out for sharks).

by Anonymousreply 96Last Saturday at 6:37 AM

Speaking of Chile, I know this is off topic, but does anyone know what's going on there re gay marriage? I thought they were on the brink to legalizing it, but now I'm not so sure anymore. I still can't believe Colombia and Costa Rica beat them to it, they're both third world countries. Chile is part of the southern cone, the most affluent region in all of South America.

by Anonymousreply 97Last Saturday at 9:26 AM

R94, towards Torres del Paine -- amazing fjords and alpine scenery. I imagine Alaska has similar, epic, glacial scenery, but I'm not familiar with it yet.

by Anonymousreply 98Last Saturday at 11:06 PM

I grew up in Santa Barbara, the water was about 65F during most of the year. After the initial shock, you get used to it. Your body sort of goes numb. After an hour or two in the hot sun it's really nice, like jumping into a cold pool.

The first time I went to Florida during the summer I want into the water and was like WTF? It's warmer than a hot bath and the air temp is almost 90 degrees. How do people fucking cool off down here!

by Anonymousreply 99Last Sunday at 12:12 AM

R88, I think the Atlantic wins on water temperature -- the waves don't seem as rough, so it's more user-friendly the Pacific. But the Pacific coast has more stunning topography, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 100Last Sunday at 2:34 PM

The Norwegian coast looks amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101Last Sunday at 2:37 PM

Stunning yes ! But is it swimable ? I think not. (reference Newfoundland for a North American equivalent).

by Anonymousreply 102Last Sunday at 3:01 PM

Winter surfing : Lawrence Town Beach , Nova Scotia.

Eat your heart out Hawaii !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103Last Sunday at 3:19 PM

Straight men will do ANYTHING to get out of the house in winter, R103!

by Anonymousreply 104Last Sunday at 6:13 PM

R103, wow -- hardcore! And a little bit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 105Last Sunday at 6:14 PM

I had a friend from Oregon who did not understand the appeal of east coast beaches. She said that without rocks to climb and tidepools to look at, you were stuck just laying in the sun. To her the beach was a place you went to do activities.

by Anonymousreply 106Last Sunday at 6:28 PM

R17, I was very impressed with the Michigan coast, based on the little bit that I saw -- rolling sand dunes and such. I didn't try to get in the water though.

by Anonymousreply 107Last Sunday at 7:27 PM

Your friend sounds like an imbecile, r106.

by Anonymousreply 108Last Sunday at 7:28 PM

To the poster who was asking about west coast tsunamis, here's a video of Crescent City, CA after that massive Japanese tsunami in 2011. Kinda scary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109Last Sunday at 7:38 PM

R108, when visited a Canadian beach it was the same as she described. People when there to hike and see wildlife. They would have called me an imbecile if I went to sunbathe.

There are difference kinds of beaches.

by Anonymousreply 110Last Sunday at 8:20 PM

R106, R108, I would agree with the friend.

Growing up on the Oregon coast, it usually isn't warm enough to lounge around on towels during the day. You either explore, take a walk, fly kites, or run away from waves and splash around a bit.

The friend isn't being dense, it's just how it is with cold beaches. There is beautiful scenery, but you usually need to stay active in some way to stay warm all year round.

When I first went to a warm water beach, it didn't compute and I was a little out off. I enjoy warm water beaches now, but they are just not what I'm use to.

As for Oregon, beach front property is always in demand. If you're smart though, you get the house up on a hill, slightly away from the beach, with a killer view.

by Anonymousreply 111Last Sunday at 9:40 PM

Is the Washington Coast similar to Oregon's?

by Anonymousreply 112Last Monday at 1:00 PM

Yes, R112, but I believe it's less accessible by road. Highway 101 runs right along the Oregon coast, it's a famous scenic drive, in Washington the highways are more inland and there's no direct coastal road, and I don't know how many beaches there are on the byways. I did the Oregon coast road a couple of years ago and I recommend it to anyone who likes road trips, cold beaches and scenic bays, and long drives. It's been a long time since I drove through Washington state, but mostly I remember heavily logged pine forests along the freeway.

I believe there's the same rocks and temperate forests, though, and the forests get lusher and wetter as you get to the Olympic Peninsula. Definitely see the Olympic Peninsula some time, and bring some damn good rain gear.

by Anonymousreply 113Last Monday at 1:42 PM

Shi Shi Beach in Washington looks beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114Last Monday at 11:54 PM

OP, your photo is God’s country.

Love cold beaches. I’d have zero issue living next to one, but living next to one isn’t necessary in order to enjoy the view.

Absolutely gorgeous and preferable to beach house littered Malibu.

by Anonymousreply 115Last Tuesday at 12:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!