Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

George Takei responds to William Shatner's 'bile' as Star Trek FEUD heats up

George Takei said he subscribes to the famous words of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg when it comes to his tumultuous relationship with his former Star Trek shipmate William Shatner: “In every good marriage, it helps to be a little deaf.”

Still, the 83-year-old sci-fi icon and political activist couldn’t help himself upon hearing comments Shatner made recently in response to Takei’s claim that Shatner was envious of the amount of fan adulation their late star Leonard Nimoy received. “George needs a new hobby. Now he’s making things up,” Shatner tweeted in August. “The only person with jealousy is George.”

During a recent interview with Yahoo Entertainment promoting two stories he narrates for the genre audio and ebook site Serial Box, Takei laughed loudly as we read him Shatner’s words.

“Well, you can tell by those words that he is upset, to put it mildly,” Takei says. “All that is bile. He’s had that same kind of relationship with everybody.”

Takei points to their co-star James Doohan, who played Commander Scott opposite Shatner’s Captain Kirk, Takei’s Sulu and Nimoy’s Spock in the original television series launched in 1966 and subsequent film spinoffs, and died in 2005.

“Jimmy Doohan used to rail at Star Trek conventions about Bill and the latest offense that he committed on him,” Takei says. “Every one of us had experiences.”

Takei, an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump and highly engaged social media presence who recently made headlines for trolling the far-right group Proud Boys, also weighed in on Black Lives Matter, the coronavirus and next month’s presidential election.

“This is a confluence of so many cataclysms. We have Black Lives Matter, racial injustice that we see now because of technology. The public has cameras with them and they record the kind of brutal outrage that is happening against people just because they’re Black. There used to be this saying, ‘Driving while Black.’ Well these people are living while Black and they’re killed for it by law enforcement officers. [It’s] outrageous.

“And this pandemic. It’s been a six-, seven-month period, 200,000 people have died and it’s because of our so-called ‘mad leader’ and our Republican senators turning into zombies. They have no mind of their own. When we had the impeachment, it was as if they had taken their minds out, and given it over to the mad dictator. That’s the climate we’re living in now. It’s a test of us.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2020 8:45 AM

Oh my!

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2020 8:48 AM

Why does George Takei hate Shatner so much?

Did Shatner reject his advances, or something?

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2020 9:46 AM

“”Jimmy Doohan used to rail at Star Trek conventions about Bill and the latest offense that he committed on him,”“

Ream me out, Scotty!

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2020 10:40 AM

For all his faults at least Shatner stands up for women.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2020 10:55 AM

James Doohan was interviewed on KQRS in MPLS, the old Tom Bernard Show. He stated that Shatner was a jerk and everybody hated him on the set of ST.

The first ever TV interracial kiss was to be between him and Ohura. When Shatner saw all the excited, positive, pre-publicity that it was causing, during the episode's filming he threw a fit until the plot was re-written so he could be the guy in their kiss.

I actually liked Shatner in "Boston Legal" and hasn't he acknowledged that, looking back, he knows it's true- he was an asshole during ST?

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2020 10:57 AM

"For all his faults at least Shatner stands up for women."

By killing his wife?

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2020 11:23 AM

Nearly a decade ago when I was still a writer, I published an article on Shatner that another reporter (for another outlet) brought up to him in an interview. He said something nice-ish about it in the interview, but contacted me through DM on Twitter to complain about inaccuracies.

The thing is, Shatner was the one who was wrong. He had dates wrong, names wrong, and was a real bitch about the whole thing. I contacted the guy who had just interviewed him and he said Shatner's wife (who he recently dumped while she was at her brother's funeral!) was the only thing that kept Shatner from being a complete raving lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2020 11:28 AM

Shatner has so many rabid fans I doubt he is jealous.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2020 11:31 AM

Shatner was reportedly rude to basically everyone on the set of Star Trek, as well as the movies and at conventions. Years ago he made some snotty homophobic comments about Takei, then got his feelings hurt when he wasn't invited to the wedding and had a snit about that, too.

Nimoy remained friends with him for decades until Shatner asked him to do a documentary and Nimoy said no, but Shatner filmed him at a convention anyway and used it without permission, and that's what finally made Nimoy cut him off entirely.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2020 11:31 AM

Shatner has defended gay people to trans nazis on twitter. Takei never would do that in a million years because he's a kool-aid drinker.

Team Shatner!!

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2020 11:41 AM

I reached out to Klingon High Chancellor Gorkon who had this to say about Shatner:

Ghot law ej nuvpu drakhar.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2020 12:16 PM

Takei is sorta embarrassing for gays. His behavior on Howard Stern, his puerile opinions and tweets and publicly feuding with the star of Star Trek.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2020 12:19 PM

Shatner is the exception to the popular notion that Canadians are nice people.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2020 12:27 PM

George needs to move on.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2020 12:32 PM

Yeah. Bill is an asshole. But George can’t take the high road.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2020 12:47 PM

George is the same as the Jews who handed other Jews over to the Nazis. If he doesn’t believe biological sex exists, he needs to divorce his husband.

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2020 12:50 PM

So Datalounge is the only place on the internet where Takei isn't a treasure. Makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2020 12:56 PM

[quote]Why does George Takei hate Shatner so much?

He's not unique. Everyone who knows Shatner hates him. He's a real Hollywood asshole, one of the worst.

By the way, we know who you are, Shatner-lover.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2020 12:57 PM

Takei copied a photo a friend of mine tweeted and tweeted it as his own, garnering hundreds of thousands of likes, never once crediting the person he got it from. In fact he said in one podcast interview that it was his own photo. Since then I've seen other examples of him doing the same thing.

I forgave him the camp act because he's old and that's what his generation is used to, sort of, but stealing shit for attention like a thirsty teenager is just too much.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2020 1:34 PM

[quote] Why does George Takei hate Shatner so much? Did Shatner reject his advances, or something?

It does seems like Takei’s obsession with Shatner comes from being scorned.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2020 1:54 PM

George needs to let it go. He’s the one that can’t seem to move on it. The last time he was in Star Trek with Shatner was nearly 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2020 2:08 PM

George needs to let it go. He’s the one that can’t seem to move on it. The last time he was in Star Trek with Shatner was nearly 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2020 2:08 PM

George is way bigger than Shatner now.

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2020 2:16 PM

[quote]Shatner has defended gay people to trans nazis on twitter. Takei never would do that in a million years because he's a kool-aid drinker.

Didn't Takei throw a fit when they made Sulu gay in the new films?

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2020 2:17 PM

How about we stop letting the anti-trans trolls take over every goddamn thread?

Why wouldn't you already have "Takei is the is the same as the Jews who handed other Jews over to the Nazis" guy on ignore already anyway?

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2020 2:18 PM

R24, George doesn’t believe “gay” exists; he doesn’t believe “men” and “women” have any biological differences. In other words, George doesn’t believe in science or reality.

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2020 2:22 PM

R26 = F&F

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2020 2:29 PM

In the summer of 2017 Shatner went on some weird rant he said was about SJWs but he ended up doing things like calling gay men who disagreed with him "sunshine" and "misandrists." News articles about it mentioned that just a month earlier, he'd talked about how much he loved 4Chan and how he posted on /b/.

Then he started in on weird conspiracy theories about -- I'm not joking -- Sam Heughan and his account being taken over by the networks for propaganda.

Anyone trying to pass Shatner off as a decent guy with good values needs a reality check. He may have been the guy who complained about reddit's homophobia problem in 2013, but by 2017 he was a /b/tard calling others snowflakes and making backhanded homophobic comments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2020 2:29 PM

FF homophobic r27. This is a gay website for GAY people. George believes, contrary to reality, that biological sex is a ‘spectrum’. We, in the reality based community, are all waiting for TRAs to provide evidence of even one human gamete that falls somewhere between Sperm and Egg and, yet, you keep not proving your case. Female and male exist. There is no ‘inbetween’ sex. Homosexuality is same sex attraction. To believe in biological sex, is to not believe in homosexuality. So get the fuck off of this forum for HOMOsexuals.

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2020 2:42 PM

Shatner was a jerk when he was abusing his star power, Takei is a jerk now thinking he is a new gay messiah.

[quote] Takei is sorta embarrassing for gays. His behavior on Howard Stern

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2020 2:58 PM

Didn’t he take some time out when he was outed as being a sexual predator to young gay men? Something about taking them home and drugging them before molesting them against consent?

I used to know one of his nephews, really handsome guy unlike his uncle.

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2020 6:22 PM

I love George so much and I never laugh as hard at the Howard Stern show as I do when George (and Brad) are on and I laugh when he goes after Shatner. I also think Shatner is a colossal prick.

Having said that, George is obsessed with remaining relevant via his "feud" which was one-sided for years. Shatner could barely pick GT out of a lineup and never even responded to anything GT would say.

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2020 6:49 PM

Canadians are horrible people!

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2020 7:53 PM

Bill Shatner is a horrible person!

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2020 12:52 AM

R2 Every cast member of the original Star Trek had issues with Shatner. Doohan, Takei and Koenig all hated him with a passion. Nichelle Nichols, while expressing her frustrations about Shatner, has been more diplomatic. However, there is a great story in one of Shatner's Star Trek memory books (which btw every actor on Star Trek later claimed those books were largely reinvented history) where after giving Shatner an interview for the book, Nichols turned to him and said "Bill, do you have any idea what a thoughtless son of a bitch you are." Nimoy/Shanter had an off again/on again rilvarly...Shatner hated that Spock was the most popular character.

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2020 6:20 AM

[quote] upon hearing comments Shatner made recently in response to Takei’s claim that Shatner was envious of the amount of fan adulation their late star Leonard Nimoy received.

So ... wait, what? Takei trashed Shatner, Shatner said something snippy in reply, and Takei was ... surprised? I don’t know any of these people but I’m Team Shatner on this one.

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2020 6:28 AM

As everyone knows, Galaxy Quest was based on Star Trek. And who did everybody in that movie hate? The captain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2020 6:28 AM

SOME casts get along

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2020 6:32 AM

R38, I never watched the show, but the funniest thing was the Family Guy bit with that particular cast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2020 6:35 AM

That was good but I prefer this one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2020 7:42 AM

Ryan Murphy should do this story on his next installment of FEUD!

Bitchy Queen versus Bitch Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2020 8:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!