Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ouija Boards, Anyone ever experiment with one?

They were a very controversial thing back in the day depending on what circles you hung around.

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2020 8:59 PM

I tried using one, but the planchette kept flying off the board.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2020 1:59 AM

Yes, back in 1972, we nearly died of fright. We were all about 11. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2020 2:00 AM

I did, and tried to contact my friend Captain Howdy.

I don't recommend them.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2020 2:01 AM

Be careful... you may open the door to "The Other Side".

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2020 2:13 AM

Sorry, stopped playing with toys long ago.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2020 2:19 AM

I had a friend growing up who had almost a phobia of Ouija boards because an aunt of hers had been using one once and gotten a mysterious cut on the back of her hand. She would mention this any time Ouija boards came up.

I used one once at a party in college, we tried and tried and couldn't get it to spell anything.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2020 2:27 AM

It's all bullshit. Get a third friend to watch you and a buddy playing it with both of your eyes closed and see how many coherent answers it spells out.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2020 2:30 AM

[quote] I used one once at a party in college, we tried and tried and couldn't get it to spell anything.

Another college illiterate. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2020 2:32 AM

[quote] Yes, back in 1972, we nearly died of fright.

"we"

By which you mean you and the British Empire?

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2020 2:41 AM

Nice try R9 but the British Empire had already expired by 1972.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2020 2:53 AM

Yes, my sister and I got one for Christmas when we were teens! I still have it but haven’t used it since then. Nothing ever happened with it. Oh sure, we got the planchette to move and spell out words but I don’t recall anything scary.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2020 2:56 AM

Played with one once in Junior High while spending the night over at a friend's. His cat freaked out, stood on its hind legs to peer over the table edge and yowl at the board, and that was the end of playing spooky party games that night.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2020 3:04 AM

No, I don't want to risk it!

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2020 3:13 AM

Think about it. Would Parker Bros. really market a gateway to hell to kids?

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2020 3:29 AM

We had one when I was a kid, but barely managed a few answers before it was abandoned in our boredom. Then, after 'The Exorcist', we were too scared to try it again.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2020 3:33 AM

Corporations have done far worse things, R14.

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2020 3:38 AM

We conjured up Eleanor Roosevelt. She was cool. Calvin Coolidge was not so cool.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2020 4:00 AM

It’s a portal to things that are better left alone.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2020 4:03 AM

R17 He refused to speak, didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2020 4:13 AM

R5 what about your pink dildo?

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2020 4:20 AM

N . . . U. . . N . . . Y . . .A

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2020 5:27 AM

[quote]Yes, back in 1972, we nearly died of fright.

[quote]"we"

[quote]By which you mean you and the British Empire?

No, he means himself and the turd he had in his pocket.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2020 5:34 AM

[quote]Corporations have done far worse things, [R14].

The tobacco industry immediately comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2020 5:35 AM

I have a black cat and crescent moon octogonal ouija/spirit board that looks like the one linked below. I inherited from a friend who died a few years ago. I'm thinking of using it this All Hallow's Eve to communicate with him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2020 5:54 AM

In my experience what you get is lower level connections via spirit boards. Unless you are working with a practiced medium don't touch one. What's most important during spirit communication is intention. It's not a game. It's for healing and learning. The spiritual realms are as complex and interconnected as the biodiversity of any ecosystem. There's plenty of venomous plants and animals that seem very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2020 8:33 AM

R2 what happened?

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2020 12:40 PM

I was living on Long Island in the Mastic area before it was built up. They started digging out to build a house catty corner from me. Every night at around 11pm I would hear what sounded like young kids playing. Two friends and I decided to ask the Ouija board if someone was there. We sat with our legs touching (we didn't know that that helped make a connection) The planchette started flying. it was so fast we didn't even have time to read it. One my friends said you two do it and I'll write down what it says. My other friend and I decided not to look at the board and let the other friend read and write it down. After a while our arms were tired and I said I wanted to stop but the one writing said Don't stop! I already have 2 paragraphs. We stopped after 3 paragraphs. There had been a Native American tribe in the area we lived in about 100 years earlier and the area was surrounded by some swampy land.

I can't remember most of what the board said except it told us that an 11 year old girl by the name of (can't remember but it was not a name that we had ever heard of) had drowned in the bog. None of us knew at the time what a bog was so we had to get the dictionary out. There was another word we had to look up too but I can't remember what it was. If I remember correctly it was her and her friends who were making all the noise at night. I told my other 2 friends to pray for her that night which we did and we never heard anymore noise from the area.

What we didn't know at the time was that the friend that was using the planchette with me was psychic as she hid it because she hated it and didn't want it. I am sure that played into the board being so responsive. BUT I intuitively knew that the board could be really dangerous so I put it under my bed that night and then threw it out when I moved. I advise everyone to not use them.

There is a small antique store in my town and he loves Ouija boards. A psychic came into his store and told him that there was a really bad spirit attached to one of those boards. He just laughed but he isn't too smart about these things. His mother told me he has all kinds of antique stuff in his bedroom and he is always having nightmares. He refuses to believe it is attached to these things. He recently bought a suit of armor worn during the plaque. He woke up one night and it was standing at the bottom of his bed. The next night he woke up and it was standing next to the bed with it's head down near his head looking at him. Gives me shivers to just think about it. I don't know what he did to it. I rarely go into his store and won't buy anything from him because I don't want to bring it home.

Don't play with a Ouija board unless you know what you're doing.

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2020 1:17 PM

Haha I'd be the asshole directing the planchette.

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2020 2:26 PM

More stories please!

Never had one, unfortunately so no spooky tales from me.

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2020 2:30 PM

I played once or twice. I basically pushed the thingy around and everyone thought it was a ghost

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2020 3:18 PM

The famous 1992 Vallecas haunting in Spain supposedly started with a Ouija board session that was interrupted by a nun. The teenage daughter or the family was supposedly sickened by a spirit and died.

Is it me or are European hauntings much more dramatic and detailed than American ones?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2020 8:17 PM

The movie Veronica is based on that case R31. It is terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2020 8:30 PM

I've posted this before, but since you asked, here it is again. When I was 12 and my sister was 14, we were at our neighbor's house for a barbecue and the neighbor offered to let us go in and play with her board games. Among the games was a Ouija board, so we decided to see what it was all about. At first we asked it silly stuff like about school and boys etc. Then we decided to ask it more serious things, like did it love God? It flew over to NO. Then we asked it who it was. No answer. Then we asked it "What is your name?" It spelled out L U C I F and at that point we freaked out and threw it in the closet and ran out of the house. I'm 53 now and she's 55 and our memory of it has never changed or wavered. I know I wasn't controlling that planchette. My sister still swears she wasn't either.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2020 8:41 PM

There was a freaky In Search Of episode about Ouija boards and spirit writing that scared the skin off me as a kid. They filmed some "researchers" or whatever do a session where the planchette was zooming around like R33 describes. I think they're all on Youtube now.

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2020 8:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!