Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends, look at this abode

Designer Erin Gates' classic Boston home is on the market. Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 17, 2020 5:59 AM

Frau palace! And...ugh...an Hermes blanket draped over the sofa - so tacky! Very "trying too hard".

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2020 4:18 PM

It's beautiful, but unless they have 17 kids, they didn't "need more room." So why are they really selling the home?

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2020 4:19 PM

So many trends, so little time.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2020 4:20 PM

Like the wisteria and the bathroom floors.

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2020 4:21 PM

I have a basket of dirty knickers on top of my drier. I guess I need to rethink the decor in my laundry room.

I agree about the wisteria. it is lovely.

It might just be the camera angle, but I would not like my home to be that close to the street with such a big drop off. i would have installed a fence or a hedge.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2020 4:25 PM

The animal print carpet up the stairs is atrocious. There is always something off-putting about these “Frau Perfection” homes; you can sense the high-strung Disney Princess Incest Survivor personality behind them and it’s scary. Imagine the behind-closed-doors histrionic explosions about innocuous things. Makes me glad to not be straight.

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2020 4:28 PM

Perfect, pristine, contemporary taste. Everything bought new within the past year. No personality.

The jewelry-draped Buddha is disrespectful.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2020 4:36 PM

Ugly light fixtures—-seems to be a theorem.

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2020 4:40 PM

Very interesting palette.

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2020 4:41 PM

Not enough white.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2020 4:42 PM

Yeah, r6. Looking at those pictures I was thinking how awful it would be to be her kid.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2020 4:44 PM

When I was a college student in Boston, I met a nice young woman who was from Newton, only she pronounced it “New-DON” I have never heard anyone else pronounce it that way. But I didnt know anyone else from Newton

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2020 4:45 PM

Hideous in every detail. It would like buying a Bed, Bath & Beyond that had a "decorator's eye" manager.

But "hideous" isn't enough. Soullessly zombie-like, as if put together by prions.

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2020 4:45 PM

Nice house, good bones, but too much white and not enough personality like what R7 says.

Needs a truckload of chintz

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2020 4:46 PM

Who buys all those shoes for a child? Unless she has quadruplets, the little bastards are never going to get any wear out of any one pair.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2020 4:49 PM

The perpetrator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2020 5:20 PM

Who the fuck is Erin Gates? Nevermind, the house and design are beyond boring.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2020 5:33 PM

This supports my theory that wealthy Boston women, while well put together, are notoriously frumpy and unattractive

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2020 5:37 PM

Animal print is the calling card of a creatively bankrupt “designer”.

The house has lovely bones.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2020 5:37 PM

Dreadful. Worse than Cats.

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2020 5:39 PM

Boring. They’re obviously rich—why can’t invest in some decent artwork to put on the wall?

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2020 5:45 PM

The only reason I can think she's moving is for more outdoor space--there's not even room for a swing set let alone for kids to run around.

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2020 5:51 PM

There is no no cultured assembly of fine things acquired over the years. Everything looks bought recently and perfectly matched.

Still considering all of that, it is mostly very nicely done. A pretty and tasteful home.

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2020 6:01 PM

R13

[quote] Soullessly zombie-like, as if put together by prions

Great description! I have seen some other interiors for which it is even more apt.

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2020 6:05 PM

You know what you look like to me, with your good laundry room wallpaper and your cheap animal prints? You look like a rube. A well-scrubbed, hustling rube, with a little taste. Good consultation has given you some ambiguous notion of design, but you’re not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, Mrs. Gates? And that bad taste you’ve tried so desperately to shed – pure trailer park. What is your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamp? And oh, how quickly the boys found you! All those tedious, sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars, while you could only dream of getting out, getting anywhere, getting all the way to the Elements. Of. Style. blog.

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2020 6:18 PM

Amazing, R25

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2020 6:19 PM

I love it.

The three exceptions are: gold fixtures in some bathrooms, the chairs in the kitchen (YUCK), and some of the decorations in children's room. If you are using gold at all (gold, bronze or brass), it should be an antique or heirloom piece. Easy to throw out the chairs. You are going to need to repaint the children's rooms.

I love the outdoor space and furniture. But where's the pool.

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2020 7:07 PM

Even H&M Home, FFS, wore it better.

Wayfair.com wore it better.

The J C Penney home design studio wore it better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2020 7:27 PM

R28 With a space like that and with natural light like that, it is easy to do it better.

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2020 7:32 PM

Erin Tubridy Gates is the founder and principal designer of Erin Gates Design and is also the creator of the award winning design blog Elements of Style. Raised in Connecticut by a creative mother and self-taught architectural designer, Erin learned to love every aspect of the home building and decorating process from a very young age…

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2020 7:45 PM

The deco is doing the job and distracting most of you about the small rooms.

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2020 8:23 PM

The deco is doing the job and distracting most of you about the small rooms.

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2020 8:23 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2020 10:03 PM

Grew up 5 minutes from this house. My aunts house was three doors down. It's right on the edge of the Newton center playground.

And it's pronounced New-un by the locals. No t and certainly no d.

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2020 10:12 PM

So bland. But very saleable. A style that people buy because it’s neutral. It’s not “designed” - it’s engineered.

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2020 11:43 PM

Most of the rooms were colorless. We are able to see color for a reason except for those that are colorblind and would like to be able to see color. I will never understand the blah factor.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2020 11:55 PM

Once again we have an historical house whose interior is now DEVOID of ANY historical details. The interior looks like something that would appear in one of those slick Oprah Winfrey magazines.

by Anonymousreply 37October 13, 2020 12:26 AM

R36 Neutral colors are easy to live with. The effect can be serene and restful. They also visually unify a space. There is so much visual chaos outside the home. A neutral color palette provides a respite.

by Anonymousreply 38October 13, 2020 12:29 AM

r38 it's boring

by Anonymousreply 39October 13, 2020 12:30 AM

R39 To you. But for people with lives that are anything but boring, a serene restful unified decor is what they want.

by Anonymousreply 40October 13, 2020 12:44 AM

I don't understand why parents don't put a low, temporary clothing rack for kids. There's actually a tiny, unstable-looking foot stool. Is some little kids supposed to stand on that stool and grab a hanger?

The house is definitely livable, but everything was bought all at the same time and it looks like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 13, 2020 12:49 AM

My cock shrunk into my body looking at this pics.

by Anonymousreply 42October 13, 2020 12:51 AM

Meh... I liked the laundry nook and LOL'd at the stairway carpet.

by Anonymousreply 43October 13, 2020 12:51 AM

I love the stairway carpet.

by Anonymousreply 44October 13, 2020 12:58 AM

R44 it’s very brothel

by Anonymousreply 45October 13, 2020 1:00 AM

I feel as though people are being very timid about decorating right now. It's like the gray era is trying to shut down, but many people are just clinging to the remnants of it.

by Anonymousreply 46October 13, 2020 1:13 AM

Very tasteful. And that’s all the emotion I can muster for this home.

by Anonymousreply 47October 13, 2020 1:28 AM

It must be exhausting to be these people

by Anonymousreply 48October 13, 2020 1:30 AM

Animal print carpets on a stairway is a classic that you will see high end homes. There is a company in NYC called Stark that is famous for them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 13, 2020 1:37 AM

R49 it’s a calling card to let you know a histrionic, high-maintenance whore lives there.

by Anonymousreply 50October 13, 2020 1:51 AM

R49 that is a much nicer look, the patterned wallpaper is cool

by Anonymousreply 51October 13, 2020 1:59 AM

I like the kitchen. It is surprisingly small, but there's a separate pantry. I like the cabinets (going up to the ceiling) and the built-in shelf at the "end cap" of the bar. I think it has a classic look and, in ten years, will still look good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 13, 2020 2:08 AM

Here's the pantry area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 13, 2020 2:09 AM

R49, I guess I'm a pleb then because I think they look awful.

by Anonymousreply 54October 13, 2020 2:12 AM

Where are the good bones? Under the house?

by Anonymousreply 55October 13, 2020 2:13 AM

[quote]Neutral colors are easy to live with. The effect can be serene and restful. They also visually unify a space. There is so much visual chaos outside the home. A neutral color palette provides a respite.

This argument again. And it never comes from people who are setting the world on fire, but from some sourpuss Linda Tripp-looking mug cradler.

Yes, yes, calm and Zen, so that the brilliant spectrum of your personality and intensity can shine like the sun and make that dreary cookie cutter place "shine bright like a diamond."

by Anonymousreply 56October 13, 2020 3:31 AM

We all live stressful, overstimulated lives now. Perhaps that’s why the bland beige look is so appealing. We need less stimulation not more.

by Anonymousreply 57October 13, 2020 3:34 AM

R57 no, the younger crowd is just too afraid to express emotions. This new decorating style, which avoids nearly any use of non-neutral colors, is basically autism shining through and the echo chamber of social media killing any creativity.

by Anonymousreply 58October 13, 2020 3:39 AM

The jewelry piled on the Buddha statute and the shoes stacked one on top of the other look trashy to me. I don't care if it's just sneakers. All that house and that's how you store your shoes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 13, 2020 3:39 AM

[quote]The jewelry-draped Buddha is disrespectful.

The frau-y wine mom types of white ladies LOVE using Buddhas and Ganeshas and similar items as decor, often after going on some package tour to India or Tibet and coming back pretending to be "spiritual" and worldly. I hate it. Like R48 said, these type of people are exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 60October 13, 2020 12:00 PM

Buddhas are supposed to be displayed at the highest point in the room. She's such a dim wouldbe cosmopolitan.

by Anonymousreply 61October 13, 2020 12:05 PM

This woman is a disrespectful cunt.

The next time I decorate a house, I’m going to include Jesus ring and necklace holders in closets and by sinks.

It’s amazing how oblivious white women are to their misdeeds. They treat everyone else’s cultures and religions like their personal decor menus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 13, 2020 12:13 PM

The price seems low and I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 63October 13, 2020 12:31 PM

Love Boston and would take this in a heartbeat if I could. I agree with poster upthread that it seems almost underpriced.

by Anonymousreply 64October 13, 2020 12:46 PM

It's fine to argue over paint colours (which these days seems to have taken on aspects of religion) but you can change those when you buy it. Should my Lottery ticket come in, I will redo this and show you lot, er, tasteful friends, how it should be done.

by Anonymousreply 65October 13, 2020 12:48 PM

R14 - "Needs a truckload of chintz"

As noted above, wait till I buy it and put in the glass-fronted kitchen cabinets my Mum's complete set of vintage Grimwades (a/k/a Royal Winton) "Summertime" china. Of course, I will have to kill my sister for it (she inherited the set because, of course, she's a girl) and then hide the body and have them shipped from England, but needs must . . .

For those who have never seen it, here's a start on the truckload of chintz:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 13, 2020 12:56 PM

R63 Beat me to it: low price for Newton, one of Boston's more expensive suburbs. High property taxes (good schools, though.)

Something funny, though, in that Zillow shows it as not for sale but also as two residences (condos?) which are not for sale and whose square footage adds up to more (2800-plus sq ft) than that advertised in the blog post (2342 sq ft.) The posting/listing also says "my office will remain here" meaning, "in the neighborhood" or "in this house?"

If so, I wouldn't want the designer working downstairs.

by Anonymousreply 67October 13, 2020 1:06 PM

I like the chevron flooring in one of the bathrooms. Not much else though.

by Anonymousreply 68October 13, 2020 1:12 PM

This frau manages to get a lot of airtime...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 13, 2020 1:18 PM

Newton isn’t Boston, by the way. It’s nice and tree-lined and all that, but it’s a very suburban suburb.

by Anonymousreply 70October 13, 2020 1:22 PM

I fucking hate the uniform beige look, GOD DAMN

by Anonymousreply 71October 13, 2020 1:41 PM

R66 that is FUCKING AWESOME!

I can see why you'd be willing to kill for that. Try bribery first though, awesome as that china is it aint worth doing 20 to life for, unless you can hide the body real good

I got me a Royal Albert set like the one below, clawed it off my ex, bout the only good thing I ever got from that useless fucker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 13, 2020 2:01 PM

[quote]It's beautiful, but unless they have 17 kids, they didn't "need more room." So why are they really selling the home?

The house they are selling has 2342 square feet. That's hardly huge for an American house, and not huge for an interior designer (to be kind) as they often like to use their own houses as labs and staging areas for marketing and social media photos, etc.

The exterior of the house they are selling is a it dumpy: the scaled-down proportions of Gore Place was a nice idea, but they got them all wrong, and the detailing is shit: the tentative Federal front door surround, the squat proportions of the windows, the tell-tale toilet window above the front door, and the higgledy-piggledy additions left and right with more bad fenestration, some bad double-pane windows (right side) and badly shoved into a corner at that. The landscaping is seriously underwhelming with those underscaled foundation plantings, like irregular scoops of ice cream, and no good front edge to the property.

I can see easily why they would want to move to this much superior house with some real presence and architectural distinction. The bad news is that she will tart it up with cheap Wayfair-looking things like the last place; the good news is that I expect her impact on the house will be furnishings and "looks," not architectural changes—though to be fair the small kitchen is well done as R52 noted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 13, 2020 2:57 PM

R72 - It would be churlish to say anything condescending about Royal Albert's beloved "Old Country Roses" (I have some myself), but once you've seen Grimwades' astonishing varieties of chintz . . . and whilst a piece or two of even sets of OCR can be found in almost any antique store. I have never EVER anywhere seen a set of Grimwades/Royal Winton. Replacements probably has some.

They have lots of it up on Ebay - I'm also fond of the Old Cottage Chintz pattern although I prefer the "Summertime". Check them out!

And I'll never get my hands on it because of course the niece will get it next. I love the gell so can't begrudge it.

Newton Centre is one of a handful of villages/town that make up Newton, the broader suburb of Boston. It has a very highly rated school district and is, hence, quite expensive with high property taxes. However, NC is the only one of those villages/towns, I believe, that has a real town centre.

It is only slightly less expensive than Brookline, which has the most eye-watering home prices I've seen outside of places like Greenwich, CT

by Anonymousreply 74October 13, 2020 4:03 PM

R56 wrote:

[quote]This argument again. And it never comes from people who are setting the world on fire, but from some sourpuss Linda Tripp-looking mug cradler. Yes, yes, calm and Zen, so that the brilliant spectrum of your personality and intensity can shine like the sun and make that dreary cookie cutter place "shine bright like a diamond."

Note that I wrote what I did about neutral interiors without offending anyone. I simply described why many people choose that kind of color palette.

It is weird that it bothers you so. You have problems.

Decorate your home in a way that pleases you. And try feeling less threatened by others with different tastes.

For me personally, I prefer a skillful judicious use of color, but I wasn't writing about me.

by Anonymousreply 75October 13, 2020 4:42 PM

[quote] I like the chevron flooring in one of the bathrooms. Not much else though.

That's one of the things that I didn't like. I'd rather have the lines flowing in one direction instead of zig-zagged like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 13, 2020 6:33 PM

To one of the above posters who is mad about the way they stack their shoes, look at what they do to their pantry.

For some bizarre reason they prefer to display their cheap groceries (goya beans and paul newman spaghetti sauce) on the upper shelves and they've put their crockpot and extra rolls of paper towels (unwrapped) on the floor of the pantry. All dust and dirt flies in on them. How nasty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 13, 2020 9:59 PM

Looks like there's some Barilla pasta as well.

by Anonymousreply 78October 13, 2020 10:10 PM

R76 That would be odd looking

by Anonymousreply 79October 14, 2020 10:23 PM

R77& R78 Well, Imsuppose they've exposed themselves now: Goya and Barilla.... Fuck 'em!

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2020 6:25 AM

The breakfast nook is nice.

Other than that, the decor is a nightmare. It is *the* nightmare. I would be so depressed living there.

by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2020 6:57 AM

Imagine having to live in that heavily contrived house - with her.

It would be exhausting. Those poor children must be on edge every single moment of the day. They will be future opiate addicts in an attempt to dull the deep pain and stress of their pressure cooker childhoods. Like R81 says - a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2020 7:19 AM

twee

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2020 7:33 AM

The entire design is a C+.....maybe a B- on a good day. Everything is perfectly fine I suppose but not what I would have expected from an interior decorator. On Redfin you can see interior pics from the home's last sale in 2012 and it is clear that she at least improved it post purchase. When working with relatively small rooms with low ceilings such as this, I can understand the knee-jerk reaction to embrace shades of white. That said, if you are going to head down that boring road - do it really richly. Her look screams Target assemble-it-yourself particle board with the occasional Hermes throw tossed in a lazy attempt to fool the observer. Add some wainscoting and maybe vary the paint finishes to include something similar to lacquer against flat in similar but varying shades. Use more sumptuous, luxurious fabrics to upholster with and make sure that you have layers upon layers of varied sheens and textures. The light fixtures should be along the lines of sculpture and have some patina (hers look shiny, cheap and NEW - all of them). Most of her rugs are OK I guess, but nothing really works here. No depth, no sheen, no antiques or interesting wood furniture pieces. Maybe it looks better in person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2020 9:40 AM

Well put, R84. Everything looks a little too new, too shiny, too underscaled, too timid, too Target, and too "decorator." Aside from the kitchen and bathrooms, there's no real design to the place, it's just decorating, plumping up slightly too small cushions and artfully draping the "iconic decorator blanket of 2012."

It's timid. The work of someone better at assembling Pinterest pages than real rooms.

by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2020 10:16 AM

Well put, R84. Everything looks a little too new, too shiny, too underscaled, too timid, too Target, and too "decorator." Aside from the kitchen and bathrooms, there's no real design to the place, it's just decorating, plumping up slightly too small cushions and artfully draping the "iconic decorator blanket of 2012."

It's timid. The work of someone better at assembling Pinterest pages than real rooms.

by Anonymousreply 86October 16, 2020 10:16 AM

R84 you know what - I actually prefer the before version

by Anonymousreply 87October 16, 2020 7:58 PM

I would love to see the homes some of you live in. I can just imagine...

by Anonymousreply 88October 16, 2020 8:03 PM

What do you imagine they’re like, R88?

by Anonymousreply 89October 17, 2020 5:42 AM

"Hi! Welcome to the house of WASP!"

by Anonymousreply 90October 17, 2020 5:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!