Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mayonnaise and Mayonnaise-Type Aioli Thread

[quote] I put mayonnaise or some mayonnaise type aioli on almost everything, so I could devote a whole thread to this.

ON EVERYTHING!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2020 9:44 AM

I had been missing the Mayonnaise Wars. Thank you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2020 10:46 PM

The OP must leave the Datalounge now, never to return. PHOTOGRAPHIC BLASPHEMER!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2020 10:47 PM

I am not really a mayo fan, but my favorite sauce that uses mayo is my Honey Mustard Sauce.

Mayo, dijon mustard, honey, Tabasco and some parsley. Great for Dip (les pommes frites) or sandwich spread.

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2020 10:53 PM

For crissakes KRAFT does not make AIOLI. I don't know what that is in the plastic squirter.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2020 10:56 PM

I've started seeing Duke's mayo ads on TV (Food Network, mostly) lately, despite that fact that it's not even sold in my part of the country. Maybe it's because my cable provider shows the east coast feed of Food Network as the only HD option.

Apparently we're supposed to buy Duke's because it has "twang." I don't know if I want my food to have that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2020 10:58 PM

R5, you're dead to us.

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2020 11:02 PM

Why is DL so food obsessed?

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2020 11:32 PM

Oh, you mean like the other mayonnaise threads that get posted here every fucking month?

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2020 11:36 PM

Would a Mayonnaise type aioli work in pumpkin salad?

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2020 11:50 PM

R7, it was all explained by Dr. David Rubin in Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex.

Did you know that some of the world's greatest chefs are gay? Did you know that some of the world's fattest men are gay? Dr. David Rubin will tell you.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2020 12:07 AM

Because people are good cooks here.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2020 12:09 AM

What is aioli? How does it differ from mayo?

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2020 12:09 AM

Aioli is when you add stuff to mayo to make a sauce. I think?

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2020 12:12 AM

Aioli is the part of your tit around the nipple. It is very sensitive. Especially if your boyfriends eats mayonaise off of it.

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2020 12:38 AM

R12: It has a bunch of garlic in it.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2020 1:53 AM

R15 that’s only garlic aioli.

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2020 8:30 AM

Blue Plate mayonnaise today!

Blue Plate mayonnaise tomarra!

Blue Plate mayonnaise foreva!!

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2020 8:50 AM

Aioli is usually made from scratch in most decent restaurant, it's not just jar mayo with flavor.

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2020 8:58 AM

Alioli (and its spelling variants) is not mayonnaise, contains no mayonnaise, and is not something you add to mayonnaise. R18 is correct.

It's an emulsion of 3 things: garlic + olive oil + salt

You can buy commercially prepared alioli, but only in a pinch; it's nothing like freshly made which, like emulsions do, separates quickly and loses its magic. It's usually served as a side for fish, fried foods, vegetables, or added to meats, etc.; it's typically not the glue that binds something together (potato salads, tuna salads, nor thickly spread on sandwiches)

Alioli is Spanish, or French, or Italian, in any case from the Mediterranean parts of those places. Toum found in Turkey, Syria, and Lebanon is probably the closest similar dish, differing in the addition of lemon. Greece has some garlic sauces but I don't know if they have a 3-ingredient alioli equivalent.

Mayonnaise is something of a necessary evil in some countries, but I usually avoid it. Mayonnaise on twice fried Belgian fries in Brussels? No thanks. Proper alioli with twice fried Belgian fries in Brussels? Yes, please.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2020 9:41 AM

I love mayo. From classic mayo to the mustard/Belgian mayo, truffel mayonaise, harissa mayonaise, curry onion mayo, yoghurt mayo, chilli garlic mayo. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2020 10:04 AM

Real Mayonnaise is also an an emulsions. Eggs, lemon juice and a neutral flavored oil. It's not supposed to be so thick that it's a binder or spread. That's just the commercial stuff we are used to. It's actually one of the 7 "mother sauces" that almost all sauce variations are based off of.

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2020 10:23 AM

I don’t think Kraft and Hellman’s are very good btw. That is more like a type of sandwich spread

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2020 10:26 AM

R5, it's not that big a deal. If you like Hellman's/Best better than Kraft, you would probably like Duke's. If you like Kraft better, you would not like Duke's.

Personally I like Hellman's, Duke's, Blue Plate, and Berman's (Aldi brand). But I also make my own sometimes.

I remember a Martha Stewart episode years ago in which her guest was the chef of a fancy Connecticut restaurant and the recipe he shared was something Martha loved. He used Hellman's in the recipe, and Martha made a big deal of how she would never use a commercial mayo, she always made her own. He said, I know you do, Martha, but we like Hellman's.

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2020 10:47 AM

Duke's is made from the zit exudate from North Carolina teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2020 11:07 AM

Love Dukes

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2020 11:15 AM

Thanks, r19. I had not known of the difference between alioli and things called aioli and made with eggs. I thought aioli was all there was, and that it was, at its most basic, garlic mayonnaise. I had no idea, however, that aioli was something Kraft put in jars to sell. I always made it at home, but included egg yolks as part of the base.

Good to know!

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2020 11:19 AM

Everything?

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2020 11:22 AM

[quote] Everything?

Almost everything according to the quote at OP.

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2020 2:35 PM

[quote] Eggs, lemon juice and a neutral flavored oil.

Not necessarily true. You can make mayonnaise with olive oil, which is not "neutral-flavored."

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2020 6:49 PM

I'm a Best Foods guy, but Kraft is also OK. I remember the first time I tried a store brand mayo and it was disgusting. I'm usually a person who'll buy the store brand of almost anything if it's cheaper, but that one experience with mayo has made me brand loyal. Even Trader Joe's store brand is awful.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2020 6:50 PM

I don’t like mayonnaise because it’s egg based. I abhor eggs.

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2020 6:54 PM

Why do you hate your origins, R31?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2020 7:02 PM

Thomy is my favourite brand. Available on Amazon, and in some markets, Walmart online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2020 7:04 PM

R33 that’s German right? It has no additives I believe. I like it too,

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2020 7:53 PM

Sorry I couldn’t open the link at first....German it says 🤦‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2020 7:54 PM

[quote] that’s German right?

What gave you the clue, R34?

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2020 7:54 PM

The two best brands of mayonnaise in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2020 8:02 PM

Here's my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2020 10:04 PM

R36/ R34 It's quite popular with the Swiss, and some online think it is, or incorrectly label it as such, but it's German. I prefer to order it in the metal tube, like tomato paste.

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2020 10:19 PM

I read the title of this thread and thought it was about Taylor swift and that guy she’s dating.

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2020 10:35 PM

R14 for the win

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2020 10:52 PM

I just squirt the Kraft Garlic Aioli directly down my gullet. Dee-licious!

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2020 10:53 PM

[quote] that’s only garlic aioli

The "ai" in aioli literally means garlic.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2020 11:46 PM

aio whatever.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2020 11:47 PM

I make my mayo in a blender with Crisco and non-dairy coffee cremer!

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2020 11:54 PM

Can someone recommend the best store brand chipotle aioli. I love it on sandwiches when I take out but would like to have a good one to keep at home because I always want more!

by Anonymousreply 46October 13, 2020 12:11 AM

[quote]Not necessarily true. You can make mayonnaise with olive oil, which is not "neutral-flavored."

Yes, and it tastes gross.

There are several versions on the market and none of them sell very well. Healthy for you maybe, but the olive oil overpowers everything else.

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2020 9:39 AM

Oh, r47, if you're talking about store-bought olive oil mayonnaise, I actually prefer it to regular mayo. The Hellman's version, anyway. And as far as it not selling very well, my local is frequently out of it. Usually, even. And this was pre-Pandemica.

I agree with you, however, about homemade mayo. I don't make it often anymore, but when I do, I use a neutral vegetable oil, not EVOO.

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2020 9:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!