Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Meaningless things that annoy you

I am not sure why, but I cannot STAND the email signature "Best." It's only found purchase in the past 5-7 years, I'd say.

Whenever I get an email signed off "Best" I see the sender as someone who thoughtlessly follows trends. There are several better signatures (including, I would say, "Best Regards") that are far less obnoxious to me.

by Anonymousreply 517February 18, 2021 2:19 PM

Buzz words and phrases like “wheelhouse”. I never heard it before and suddenly it was all over the place in business speak. I had to look up what a wheelhouse was.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2020 2:20 PM

OP It was widely used in the 1980s, like 40 years ago. I still use it sometimes when I don't want to be neither formal nor too friendly.

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2020 2:24 PM

People who just hate Trump or Russians. They're silent about China.

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2020 2:26 PM

I hate “I’m sorry for your loss.” Whenever I hear it, I think of some bitchy teenage girl being forced to apologize/sympathize when she doesn’t mean it.

I could swear it’s a phrase that has become more widely used in the last 15 years or so. I don’t remember it earlier than that.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2020 2:28 PM

Granular or granularity. Whatever the word is, I don't care. First time I heard that in an office meeting, I laughed. The person saying was a pretentious asshole to start with so this only made matters worse. Then I started seeing people using granular, on TV especially and thought this is another trend.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2020 2:29 PM

I agree, OP - that's a stupid email signature, and I see it a lot in my company as well.

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2020 2:52 PM

I had when people say that someone "passed." They're dead.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2020 2:55 PM

^ Hate not had

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2020 2:55 PM

People sitting next to you on public transport when there are other seats available. Like, why am I so irresistible to you, you loon? Made worse if they want to chat.

OR

The bus is full but NOBODY sits next to you. There's nothing more ego-deflating in the world! Do I smell? Do I look like a criminal? Did I fart and not hear it? Am I just a bundle of hatefulness??

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2020 2:55 PM

That’s fucking hilarious r9.

From one extreme to the other.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2020 2:59 PM

People who say "I'm like." You're LIKE?

"I'm like, are you kidding me? and she's like, no, I'm not!"

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2020 3:00 PM

Incorrect use of the word paradigm.

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2020 3:03 PM

Can you give an example, r12?

I’m hoping I’m not guilty of it.

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2020 3:06 PM

People who come and park right next to me when there's plenty of parking all around.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2020 3:06 PM

People who say "I, myself..."

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2020 3:08 PM

R14 That is my husband's biggest pet peeve!

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2020 3:16 PM

People who cannot put down their telephones. I was trying to assist a customer who would not stop talking on her phone. I had to ask her several questions that she could not answer immediately so I had to repeat each question. I grew tired of this and closed her customer profile screen. I then motioned to the next customer to step forward. The telephone lady had a shocked look on her face but she continued her phone conversation. I did assist her after she finished her phone call and she was quite snippy. I hate it for you, Darling, but my time is important and the other customer's time is important. I'm not going to make them wait while you do things that are obviously more important to you.

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2020 3:18 PM

[quote]I had when people say that someone "passed." They're dead.

r7 maybe they passed a slow-moving Winnebago.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2020 3:33 PM

From personal experience I would rather have someone say “sorry for your loss” then say “your loved one is now in a better place.”

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2020 3:38 PM

R19 I agree. Those grieving do not typically feel that way at that moment.

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2020 3:41 PM

I have no problem with sorry for your loss.

It beats the hell out of, “so, when are you going to start dating again?”

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2020 3:47 PM

I hate, hate, hate, HATE non-Brits, who sign emails with "Cheers!"

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2020 3:48 PM

I know Americans who do this as well r22

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2020 3:49 PM

[quote] The bus is full but NOBODY sits next to you. There's nothing more ego-deflating in the world! Do I smell? Do I look like a criminal? Did I fart and not hear it? Am I just a bundle of hatefulness??

I found this to be the case in Japan. On the train, nobody wanted to sit next to the white guy. I ended up standing a lot because I felt guilty.

Other than people who can't seem to figure out their nose goes UNDER the mask, I get driven to distraction by people who walk their dogs with retractable leashes and are too busy on their phones to notice the dog has wandered over to the opposite side of the sidewalk and now the leash cord is stretched across the walkway. Walking in the city is hazardous enough without having to step over your dog's tautly-pulled leash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2020 3:51 PM

R23 “I’ll take a triple espresso ASAP!”

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2020 4:08 PM

Someone said this to me and I was like, “isn’t that too granular a criticism? I mean like, get a life!”

Best,

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2020 4:11 PM

The OP

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2020 4:13 PM

People who use "preventative" to make something sound important, when "preventive" has the same meaning.

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2020 4:15 PM

For me it is the breeziness of "passed" that is annoying. Abbreviating, "Best wishes" to "Best" is not an assault on human dignity, but abbreviating "passed away" to "passed" is.

You do not hear anyone abbreviating "passed gas," but abbreviating is fine when it is about someone's mortality?

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2020 4:17 PM

R4 I was gonna write the same thing. Especially in TV drama. These writers have no imagination.

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2020 4:21 PM

I think the phrase shows up in TV drama because it is the kind of non-committal expression of sympathy that professionals are trained to make to people they encounter in the course of their work duties.

However, people are now imitating it in personal relationships where it sounds very cold and unfeeling.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2020 4:25 PM

people who say "utilize" instead of "use."

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2020 4:25 PM

People who add "right?" at the end of every other sentence.

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2020 4:26 PM

People who say "That's not my forte", and pronounce it "FOR tay", as in the musical notation. Its just plain old "FORT."

Stop trying to sound piss elegant.

by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2020 4:27 PM

"Thoughts and prayers" and "There are no words" have both become overused.

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2020 4:28 PM

R34, both pronunciations are actually accurate.

by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2020 4:29 PM

"Surreal" is the most overused word in this century.

by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2020 4:30 PM

I’m on another forum that has mostly brits on it and all they do is shit on “the septics.” “Passed” is a major stick they use to beat Americans with in their bigoted rants.

Yet when one of them died, and they were incredibly broken up about it, it was “passed, passed, passed!” It was hilarious but I didn’t point out the rank hypocrisy because I would have been instantly banned.

by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2020 4:31 PM

“You got this!”

by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2020 4:32 PM

Actually it's fortE, with a hard e at the end. The word is Italian and obviously means strength. "Fort" is completely wrong.

by Anonymousreply 40October 11, 2020 4:34 PM

Given that about 80% of the word-related emails I get are signed off with "Best" OP must be in high dudgeon on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 41October 11, 2020 4:34 PM

^^work-related

Though "word-related" is a sort of funny typo

by Anonymousreply 42October 11, 2020 4:35 PM

WimbleTon....pundiNt....verse instead of versus. Unfortunately all of these have caught on.

by Anonymousreply 43October 11, 2020 4:45 PM

If it's meaningless things, why can they bother you? They should mean nothing to you. Relax, OP, your cunt is too clenched.

by Anonymousreply 44October 11, 2020 4:45 PM

Actually, FOR-tay is an acceptable pronunciation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 11, 2020 4:46 PM

Wearing a suit sans socks. Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 46October 11, 2020 4:47 PM

I'd rather wear no socks than wear a suit.

by Anonymousreply 47October 11, 2020 4:48 PM

Other people.

by Anonymousreply 48October 11, 2020 4:49 PM

I got one, I got one!

When English and American people (but especially Brits) unironically say Barthelona and Ibitha.

That actually makes me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 49October 11, 2020 4:52 PM

I've never heard anyone pronounce "forte" as "fort." That must be a regional thing.

by Anonymousreply 50October 11, 2020 4:57 PM

When people sign off with "God bless." I'm not a religious person, so whenever I hear this, I'm slightly taken aback and respond, "Uh, okay... thank you." Do they expect a "God bless" back?

by Anonymousreply 51October 11, 2020 4:58 PM

R41, Be best!

by Anonymousreply 52October 11, 2020 5:01 PM

Have a blessed day, r51!

by Anonymousreply 53October 11, 2020 5:01 PM

R53, that one too.

by Anonymousreply 54October 11, 2020 5:19 PM

KEY TAKEAWAY: Eldergays have a high number of triggers. Hence all the hissing.

by Anonymousreply 55October 11, 2020 5:30 PM

The dreaded glottal stop, along with glottal fry.

by Anonymousreply 56October 11, 2020 5:35 PM

I will never, ever understand the need to audibly yawn with dramatics. I have to force myself to not engage in the Fight of Fight or Flight every time. My partner's family, sans him, all do this, and it would seem it is because they desperately need attention over how tired they are.

by Anonymousreply 57October 11, 2020 5:39 PM

Oh r55, have you spent 12 minutes on a whiny reddit page full of teens-20 somethings? RuPaul's drag race subs are full of things that annoy them, but you may have to wear ear plugs against all of the shrieking.

by Anonymousreply 58October 11, 2020 5:41 PM

forte

R36, et al:

The word forte (pronounced “fort”) is a French word meaning “strength” that is used in English to refer to one’s talent or ability.

Example: English is my forte.

This word is often mispronounced “FOR-tay” because it is confused with the Italian word forte (pronounced “FOR-tay”). The words are spelled the same but have different pronunciations and meanings. If you play a musical instrument, you will probably recognize the Italian word as a term meaning “loud.” When referring to ability, the correct pronunciation is “fort,” but in music, it is always “FOR-tay.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 11, 2020 5:44 PM

R34 they are different. FOR-tay is used only in music.

by Anonymousreply 60October 11, 2020 5:53 PM

R19 Agree and they usually follow “he’s in a better place” with “and I really believe that...” um, okay but who are you trying to convince?

by Anonymousreply 61October 11, 2020 5:54 PM

In English when there are two "c's," the first "c" takes a K sound. Think of Success. Most people mispronounce Flaccid as FLA-sid. it's FLAK-sid.

by Anonymousreply 62October 11, 2020 5:56 PM

That horrible Silver Singles commercial, when she says “I wanted to get back into dating again...” like it’s a sport or something.

by Anonymousreply 63October 11, 2020 5:59 PM

(R34) How often do you hear people say this?

by Anonymousreply 64October 11, 2020 6:07 PM

Biden supporters.

by Anonymousreply 65October 11, 2020 6:10 PM

This may be shocking to some of you, but pronunciation changes over time.

When I was younger, I knew a number of people born between 1910 and 1930 who pronounced "beautiful" "beauty-ful"

by Anonymousreply 66October 11, 2020 6:19 PM

R56 uh yes. There are these young women at work that pronounce Button "buh-EN" and Martin "Mut-EN"

I SERIOUSLY WANT TO PUNCH THEM IN THE THROAT!

by Anonymousreply 67October 11, 2020 6:25 PM

Cashiers being required to ask "Did you find everything you were looking for?"

WHY would anyone wait until checkout to ask where an item they are looking for is located or if the store carries it? There are associates in the aisles and Customer Service Desks for this.

by Anonymousreply 68October 11, 2020 6:31 PM

When I am, watching a show, usually a sitcom, and every single space in their home is taken up with meaningless, useless stuff. Counters do not have a square inch of free space (often cupboards are not full but they have spice canisters and cereal boxes on the counter). Fake flowers next to lamps that would never be used, dozens of framed photos on the table, a few of the kids framed photos next to the bed on the nightstand. etc. no one has that much junk.

by Anonymousreply 69October 11, 2020 6:37 PM

People who actually want China to replace America (and more broadly, the west) as THE superpower.

People who post "looking gorg", short for gorgeous, on peoples pictures who are clearly ugly.

The slurping noises my dog makes when he drinks his water bowl.

Foreigners with major cognitive dissonance. They are virulent nationalists when it comes to their home countries but they suddenly become liberals and "woke" when they move to the west---while still being nationalistic about their home countries.

White people who listen to rap music obsessively, try to copy the lingo but are huge raging conservatives who are anti-black. WTF is up with that?!

JANBOT

People who don't wear deodorant

People who smell like spices

People who spell like spices plus BO.

Hair all over the bathroom floor, toilet or in the corners of rooms.

OK, not all of these things are meaningless, but oh well.

by Anonymousreply 70October 11, 2020 6:47 PM

The fact that "No problem" has replaced "You're welcome" to everyone under forty-five.

It's shabby, dumb, and actually sort of rude.

by Anonymousreply 71October 11, 2020 6:50 PM

No problem is much better than "no worries".

by Anonymousreply 72October 11, 2020 6:52 PM

Among the other vocabulary used incorrectly, I hate when people misuse the word "antithesis" as meaning "the example of". It actually means the opposite of something.

by Anonymousreply 73October 11, 2020 7:01 PM

Drivers who don’t use the turn signal.

by Anonymousreply 74October 11, 2020 7:04 PM

People who use antiquated phrases like “found purchase”.

by Anonymousreply 75October 11, 2020 7:14 PM

I hate the word "optics" and it's so overused in the workplace. It always makes the self satisfied person who says it feel like they made some grand proclamation of how something looks.

by Anonymousreply 76October 11, 2020 7:22 PM

I hate the word "optics" and it's so overused in the workplace. It always makes the self satisfied person who says it feel like they made some grand proclamation of how something looks.

by Anonymousreply 77October 11, 2020 7:22 PM

I will never ever except well wishes, as in “I received a lot of well wishes for my birthday.”

Confusing old-fashioned and old-school. There is something admirable in being old-school but old-fashioned is just not moving with the times.

“You do you,” and “You got this.”

I am with you R71. Saying “no problem” means that the person helping you did not find you obnoxious. “No worries” is less irksome but still too casual.

“Between you and I” — too much of a jerk move to correct but it really grates on me.

by Anonymousreply 78October 11, 2020 7:29 PM

Dangers of dictating a response — *accept*

by Anonymousreply 79October 11, 2020 7:30 PM

"I can't even".

You can't even WHAT, fuckwad?

by Anonymousreply 80October 11, 2020 7:34 PM

“Pivot”, like all corporate buzzwords, came from nowhere and is now EVERYWHERE.

The expression “in and of itself” - verbal and written Hamburger Helper.

“So,...”.

by Anonymousreply 81October 11, 2020 7:42 PM

Why are you obsessed with China, r70? So weird.

by Anonymousreply 82October 11, 2020 7:42 PM

[quote]Whenever I get an email signed off "Best" I see the sender as someone who thoughtlessly follows trends.

OP: I agree. So I've started ending my emails with "Be Best!" It usually brings a chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 83October 11, 2020 7:52 PM

New buzzword - inflection point. Where did that come from?

by Anonymousreply 84October 11, 2020 7:53 PM

Agree with OP. Best reminds me of “be best.”

by Anonymousreply 85October 11, 2020 7:53 PM

[quote] I will never, ever understand the need to audibly yawn with dramatics. My partner's family, sans him, all do this, and it would seem it is because they desperately need attention over how tired they are.

I think they’re desperately trying to tell you they’re bored in your presence.

by Anonymousreply 86October 11, 2020 7:56 PM

R68, Here in the Boston area, CVS cashiers are instructed to ask "Do you want a bag?", even if you're purchasing multiple items.

STAPLES is worse. Not only do customers get "Do you want a bag?", they also get "Do you want your receipt?".

by Anonymousreply 87October 11, 2020 7:58 PM

R87, did you perhaps misspeak? I don’t get this:

[quote] CVS cashiers are instructed to ask "Do you want a bag?", even if you're purchasing multiple items.

It’s precisely when I’m buying multiple items I think the offer of a bag is appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 88October 11, 2020 8:06 PM

"Found purchase" is pretty awful.

by Anonymousreply 89October 11, 2020 8:22 PM

That one idiot in every Zoom meeting or group work chat that constantly asks inane questions.

by Anonymousreply 90October 11, 2020 9:03 PM

^^Especially when those inane questions come at the end, have essentially been addressed in the meeting, and make the meeting go 20 minutes longer than absolutely necessary.

by Anonymousreply 91October 11, 2020 9:07 PM

I don't mind "So sorry for your loss." Most of us are at a loss of words at moments like this.

I was at a wake once, and a woman came up to the widow of the man who had died and said to her, "Well, now you're in the club." The widow looked at her as if she had two heads and said, "Well, it's one I'd rather not be in."

I live alone now, but I remember when a messed up newspaper would annoy me. Really asinine, because it would be so nice to have someone around in whom I'd get annoyed by the meaningless things like that he did.

by Anonymousreply 92October 11, 2020 9:26 PM

“Close proximity”

by Anonymousreply 93October 11, 2020 10:08 PM

I avoid using cliches. For instance, R39 mentioned "you got this" seems to be used way too often. I agree. I once worked near someone who used cliches almost exclusively when she spoke. Such as:

Here we go again Better luck next time Back atcha Working hard or hardly working TGIF

by Anonymousreply 94October 11, 2020 10:13 PM

Ops - forgot to list the phases above

by Anonymousreply 95October 11, 2020 10:14 PM

"Robust." It used to be used only in coffee commercials. Now it is corporate buzzspeak.

by Anonymousreply 96October 11, 2020 10:20 PM

[quote] Why are you obsessed with China, [R70]? So weird.

I mentioned it once, wtf are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 97October 11, 2020 10:40 PM

[quote] The fact that "No problem" has replaced "You're welcome" to everyone under forty-five

I used to do retail training and I would instruct my classes NEVER to let me hear them say 'No Problem'.

"My pleasure', "You're welcome", even the somewhat stuffy 'Not at all', were okay, but if I heard 'No problem' during the week I was in their store, they'd be hearing about it. It still drives me crazy when I hear it.

I also spent a miserable part of my career training at Blockbuster Video. I noticed that customers would bristle when the cashier said 'The computer says you have unpaid late fees'. so I asked them to say 'Our records show you have some late fees which have not been paid'.

I guess I was trying to conjure up an image of a kindly old gray-haired woman, meticulously keeping the ledger in the back room rather than some faceless IBM mainframe back in Dallas. For whatever reason, people responded much more positively to that phrase.

by Anonymousreply 98October 11, 2020 11:41 PM

I don't understand all the dislike of "No problem." The lead-up to "no problem" is that someone in a service job probably did something satisfactory for you.

by Anonymousreply 99October 11, 2020 11:46 PM

R99 - a couple of reasons... 1. It's not a complete sentence.

2. No one said the thing was a problem. Someone said thank you. If someone said, "'I'm sorry to be a problem." and the response was, "Oh, it's no problem." That would make sense. But dullards are saying 'no problem' in reply to thank you.

by Anonymousreply 100October 11, 2020 11:47 PM

[quote]1. It's not a complete sentence.

MARY!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 101October 11, 2020 11:50 PM

I understand the context, R100. "No problem" can be a sentence as can "You're welcome."

My point was that when you say "Thank you" and the other person says "no problem," you probably received just something of value, no matter how small.

by Anonymousreply 102October 11, 2020 11:51 PM

R71, no problem, no worries, don't mention it, it was nothing, all mean the same thing and is preferable to the pat response "you're welcome," which has fallen out of favor with English language teachers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103October 11, 2020 11:57 PM

R102 I fully understand the intent. But, this thread is about meaningless things that annoy us. When I haven't told someone "I'm sorry I created a problem for you," yet they still say "no problem" when I've said "thank you," it's annoying - not the end of the world, but a meaningless thing that annoys me.

by Anonymousreply 104October 11, 2020 11:59 PM

R103 and all those phrases are equally stupid.

by Anonymousreply 105October 12, 2020 12:00 AM

What's wrong with "You're welcome" and who are these English teachers it has fallen out of favor with?

by Anonymousreply 106October 12, 2020 12:01 AM

English with Lucy also thinks "you're welcome" is overused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 12, 2020 12:01 AM

"Of course" as a response to thank you is also annoying.

by Anonymousreply 108October 12, 2020 12:02 AM

Fuck that bitch!

by Anonymousreply 109October 12, 2020 12:02 AM

Endless travel

by Anonymousreply 110October 12, 2020 12:03 AM

Understood, R104. I just see posters, in lots of different thread, complaining about "no problem." I've worked in service (restaurants / hotels), so, I'm probably sensitive to customers acting like assholes even if you just did something for them.

by Anonymousreply 111October 12, 2020 12:04 AM

I detest people who use the term "purchase," as in, "It's only found purchase in the past 5-7 years, I'd say."

THERE'S a tedious cunt.

Best,

by Anonymousreply 112October 12, 2020 12:12 AM

I think the "of course" and "no problem" thing has gained popularity as America got less monolinguistic. In the Romance languages, for example, the traditional way of saying thank you is usually a variation of one of these two.

Spanish and Portuguese: "de nada" - translates literally into "It's nothing" aka "No problem." Italian: "Prego" which also loosely translates as "not a problem" French: "De rien" is "it's nothing"

It's telling the person there's no need to be grateful, because you weren't put out at all. I don't personally find it rude at all, but that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 113October 12, 2020 12:18 AM

R112 How have I not ever heard that phrase. What is it even supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 114October 12, 2020 12:23 AM

I fucking hate "no joy" to mean "it didn't work." It's something white Boomer men love saying while problem-solving. "I tried that already, but no joy."

by Anonymousreply 115October 12, 2020 12:27 AM

"What's your damage" kind of annoys me.

by Anonymousreply 116October 12, 2020 12:28 AM

R116, I haven't heard that phrase since Heathers.

by Anonymousreply 117October 12, 2020 12:29 AM

I am a white boomer man, r115, and I have never heard "no joy" before. Not even once.

Fuck some "no problem" cunt gently with a chain saw, r116.

by Anonymousreply 118October 12, 2020 12:29 AM

I didn't say that all white Boomer men said it, R118, just that the only people who say it are white older men. You hear it a lot among corporate middle managers, for example. Not everything is about you.

by Anonymousreply 119October 12, 2020 12:33 AM

"agency"

to me, that's always meant talent agency, but people use it to mean "action or intervention, especially such as to produce a particular effect."

Having suffered the loss of a parent this year (thanks TRUMP!), I'm tired of 'may her memory be a blessing'.

by Anonymousreply 120October 12, 2020 12:37 AM

R98’s post proves it’s not what you say but how you say it that makes a difference.

by Anonymousreply 121October 12, 2020 12:40 AM

My condolences, r120.

by Anonymousreply 122October 12, 2020 12:41 AM

"It's nothing" is not the same thing as "no problem."

The former minimizes the effort being thanked quaintly. The latter assures the recipient being thanked that they did not find the action performed to be a problem. It is quite two different things, and the people who fail to understand the difference embody the crudeness of those in public today who insist on offending others because they are too stupidly lazy and selfish to do otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 123October 12, 2020 12:47 AM

R115 weird I have never once heard someone say "no joy." I wonder if it's a regional thing?

by Anonymousreply 124October 12, 2020 12:53 AM

R124 I got curious and looked it up. Apparently "no joy" was originally a British WW2-era aviation call which meant "the enemy wasn't in sight yet" or "I wasn't able to establish contact." It was subsequently coopted by American military people, and cops, firemen and other first responders, and also wannabes and American ex military brats born after WW2, also use it to mean an attempt at something was unsuccessful.

So my observation that it's mostly older American white guys who use the term and the reason why it's so fucking annoying were both totally justified and correct.

by Anonymousreply 125October 12, 2020 1:06 AM

“May I help who’s next?” bugs me. It just doesn’t sound right, though I guess it’s technically proper English.

by Anonymousreply 126October 12, 2020 1:40 AM

Pubes left on the bar of soap. I find it rude.

by Anonymousreply 127October 12, 2020 1:45 AM

People who don't pay attention to hogging up the whole g.d. sidewalk.

by Anonymousreply 128October 12, 2020 2:00 AM

"Thinking outside the box", I've always found that expression excruciating.

Not meaningless, but gross, people with terrible hygiene. If you have access to a shower and soap, there's no excuse to reek.

by Anonymousreply 129October 12, 2020 2:01 AM

More corporate buzz-shit-speak:

“I’ll take carriage of that”. What’s wrong with “I’ll do that”?

“Litigate” in anything other than a legal context.

by Anonymousreply 130October 12, 2020 2:04 AM

People who love huge spaces between their car and the one in front of them at lights. It's so stupid - pull up already, 2 cars could fit in the gap you've left, you fat whore.

by Anonymousreply 131October 12, 2020 2:08 AM

LEAVE

by Anonymousreply 132October 12, 2020 2:09 AM

[quote]This may be shocking to some of you, but pronunciation changes over time.

When I was a child in the '50s, the word [italic]protein[/italic] was always pronounced PRO-tee-inn. Over the years it evolved to today's PRO-teen. I listen to the nostalgic radio channel on Sirius/XM, and it's fun to listen to the old-timey mid-century food commercials saying pro-tee-in.

by Anonymousreply 133October 12, 2020 2:19 AM

“Start a conversation.”

by Anonymousreply 134October 12, 2020 2:28 AM

People who have to back into parking spot even when there's a huge line of cars behind them.

by Anonymousreply 135October 12, 2020 2:31 AM

since we're on about transit (and btw i don't think these are meaningless things):

1: the person who stands in front of an empty seat, but doesn't sit in it, thereby blocking access to it. i have seen this on crowded subways even;

2: the person who stands broad-ways to the door, and doesn't move when it opens. hugging the door is okay, but you've got to turn sideways when you stop at a station. real bullying move this.

by Anonymousreply 136October 12, 2020 2:33 AM

People who drive really really slowly. Got stuck behind someone doing 30 in a sixty zone. I wanted to kill them.

by Anonymousreply 137October 12, 2020 2:35 AM

R87: in Ireland, they ask "do you need a bag?" in shops, as customers are more likely to answer "no."

by Anonymousreply 138October 12, 2020 2:56 AM

R137, I wouldn't necessarily call that meaningless...especially if you're running late for something important.

by Anonymousreply 139October 12, 2020 2:58 AM

People wearing pajama pants out in public. I don’t think I’m a snob, but I find it low class to go shopping in pajamas. It’s not that hard to put on a pair of pants-even sweatpants are fine.

by Anonymousreply 140October 12, 2020 3:36 AM

R140 I agree. My family was modest growing up and we wouldn’t be caught dead wearing pajamas in public. We’d call those people hillbillies!

by Anonymousreply 141October 12, 2020 3:43 AM

I think this might be an only in New York thing, but I often get an “uh-huh” in response to thank you, especially from outer borough women of a certain age. The first few times I heard it, I thought the other person was questioning the sincerity of my thanks. But the more I heard it I realized the tone is not hostile; it’s similar to the way one might say “don’t mention it” or “yes, of course.” I now find it charming in its way.

by Anonymousreply 142October 12, 2020 3:44 AM

Didn't read through the entire thread. "Best" to me means "fuck you, I don't care about your opinion or response., so don't even bother responding." it's the least possible way you can end the letter without being a dickhead. i mean, i guess you could at least put your name at the end with nothing else added.

by Anonymousreply 143October 12, 2020 5:20 AM

My teacher taught us that the ‘fort’ pronunciation was correct but that ‘fortay’ is now acceptable because it was mispronounced for so long. Just like “home in” was correct but so many said ‘hone in’ that it’s becoming used even on NPR.

Still bothers me as does “begging the question” bring used incorrectly. I’m always surprised how many supposedly we’ll-educated say “between you and I”.

by Anonymousreply 144October 12, 2020 5:41 AM

The phrase “price point” instead of “price.” TV weather people that needs to add the word “hours” everywhere... snow during the evening hours, rain during your overnight hours...sun during the morning hours. Uuuggh!!!

by Anonymousreply 145October 12, 2020 5:42 AM

Nothing makes my blood boil like work emails with the subject "hey" or something similar, especially if it's someone you email frequently. How are you supposed to search for anything?

by Anonymousreply 146October 12, 2020 5:47 AM

R113 "prego“ in Italian doesn’t loosely translate as "it’s nothing". It literally means "I bid you" or "I’m asking / imploring you for it“.

It’s the same as French "je t‘en prie“ and German "bitte".

by Anonymousreply 147October 12, 2020 5:55 AM

R19 "I'm sorry for your loss".

My knee-jerk response has often been, "Why? Did you have anything to do with it?"

by Anonymousreply 148October 12, 2020 6:13 AM

R40, Same for the word "cache".

by Anonymousreply 149October 12, 2020 6:15 AM

The guys who have to use the urinal or bathroom stall right next to you when there are up to 10 available.

by Anonymousreply 150October 12, 2020 6:23 AM

I’ve always irrationally disliked “Greetings” as a salutation. Unless, of course, one is an alien. “Greetings, earthlings,” is then an acceptable salutation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151October 12, 2020 6:37 AM

"Natural light." What the fuck happened to just saying sunlight... or daylight... light? But no, nowadays we have to admire this "natural light coming in through the window." What the fuck other kind of light would there be from outside? NO ONE visits these places at night, thus, no one would ever be commenting on the wonderful artificial light. Jesus Fucking Christ.

It's to the point now where someone last week said... wait for it... natural daylight. Yes, that was said by a house hunter. NATURAL DAYLIGHT.

by Anonymousreply 152October 12, 2020 7:33 AM

I hate when people refer to others or us "folks" in pretty much any context. It sounds so country and uneducated. Or people who are from the south constantly saying "y'all" on purpose in a major city to draw attention. Not cute.

by Anonymousreply 153October 12, 2020 7:57 AM

I HATE HATE the words craft and curate. Shut the fuck up you millennial asshole

by Anonymousreply 154October 12, 2020 8:11 AM

‘Thanks in advance’ or TIA

‘And go!’ At the end of a request post usually on Facebook.

Y’all has been creeping into more frequent use outside the southern US. Worse are people who wrote it as ya’ll.

by Anonymousreply 155October 12, 2020 8:45 AM

People "feeling blessed" in their social media posts (brags)

by Anonymousreply 156October 12, 2020 9:20 AM

On public transport, if someone puts their bag down to prevent someone else from sitting next to them - I'll ask you to move your bag and sit next to you even if there is other free seats.

by Anonymousreply 157October 12, 2020 9:27 AM

R145 And price point instead of price range - often said on House Hunter - 'it's outside of our price point'

by Anonymousreply 158October 12, 2020 9:29 AM

Banks and stores that make staff say "Next Guest" to people waiting in line. I'm not a guest, I'm a customer!

by Anonymousreply 159October 12, 2020 10:02 AM

Restaurant servers who ask if you're still working on your meal, as if it's a project. And when they bring the leftovers container to the table and leave it for you to fill instead of taking care of it themselves.

by Anonymousreply 160October 12, 2020 10:22 AM

People who don't push their chairs back to the table when they get up to leave.

by Anonymousreply 161October 12, 2020 10:26 AM

[quote]People who say "I'm like." You're LIKE? "I'm like, are you kidding me? and she's like, no, I'm not!"

These threads are always full of complaints dating back to 1983.

"Best" was the valediction used in the official correspondence of an insurance company I worked for in the late 1990s. These were old templates so I updated them with "Sincerely," but I suspect they're now back to "Best" again.

by Anonymousreply 162October 12, 2020 10:30 AM

[quote]I had when people say that someone "passed." They're dead.

No one here is left over from the Usenet groups, are they? We used to have phrases like "No longer shopping the Pig" and "in the stereo cabinet" for when someone died. It would have made most of you apoplectic.

by Anonymousreply 163October 12, 2020 10:34 AM

“Do you need a bag” is asked by cashiers because most of us do our shopping with BAGS WE BRING WITH US, to protect the PLANET from OVERUSE of its resources by thoughtless morons.

Who on earth leaves their apartment nowadays without a bag to put their purchases in? Who embarks on a deliberate errand to get something, without a bag or backpack to carry home their items? Have you never seen nature shows featuring hapless sea animals choking on useless redundant plastic shopping bags, you thoughtless twat?

(Pre pandemic, of course—lots of stores won’t let you use your own bag now to protect against contagion.)

Best,

Exasperated

by Anonymousreply 164October 12, 2020 10:47 AM

[quote]Wearing a suit sans socks. Disgusting.

How very DARE you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 12, 2020 10:50 AM

"It is what it is." Isn't this self-evident? Has anything ever not been what it was?

Also, "I seen" is a pet peeve of mine. I often see "I seen" on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 166October 12, 2020 12:28 PM

"Irregardless"

by Anonymousreply 167October 12, 2020 12:38 PM

"The DNC rigged the primary"

"Bernie would have won!"

by Anonymousreply 168October 12, 2020 12:41 PM

R166, do you hang around hillbilly character from films of the 30s through 60s? I have never heard "I seen" it in real life, but it occurs all the time in those films.

by Anonymousreply 169October 12, 2020 12:41 PM

Rose Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 170October 12, 2020 12:47 PM

The use of “clap back” or “we need to talk about...” in news or story headlines

by Anonymousreply 171October 12, 2020 12:50 PM

R168. Those send me into a rage too.

by Anonymousreply 172October 12, 2020 12:52 PM

So... this happened..."

by Anonymousreply 173October 12, 2020 12:55 PM

[quote]I’m always surprised how many supposedly we’ll-educated say “between you and I”.

Oops...

by Anonymousreply 174October 12, 2020 1:13 PM

[quote]even if there is other free seats.

Oops...

by Anonymousreply 175October 12, 2020 1:15 PM

I use Best when appropriate. Sometimes I'll use Thanks. Sometimes I won't use anything.

I have always found that people who use "warmly" are anything but. When I see that, it puts me on immediate alert and I find I'm usually right.

by Anonymousreply 176October 12, 2020 1:17 PM

[quote] The use of “clap back” or “we need to talk about...” in news or story headlines

Both are terrible, but I especially hate "clap back." I automatically discount anyone who uses it.

by Anonymousreply 177October 12, 2020 1:20 PM

Why is it that whenever you go to a web site, you ALWAYS have to scroll down to get to the portion you need? It is NEVER right there. And you can't arrow down to the part you want, you have to lift your hand from the keyboard and used the damn scroll bar! SO annoying!

by Anonymousreply 178October 12, 2020 1:38 PM

'I was this many days when I learned'

by Anonymousreply 179October 12, 2020 1:45 PM

[quote] People wearing pajama pants out in public

Normally I'd agree with you but just this past weekend I passed a tousled-haired twentysomething walking down Broadway in a pair of flannel pajama pants with his gigantic dick flopping back and forth. At first I thought it was his phone, but, of course, he was holding his phone, staring down at it as he walked down the street, which allowed me to gape at the flopping kielbasa unobserved. It was a beautiful sight to behold.

by Anonymousreply 180October 12, 2020 2:16 PM

[quote] The guys who have to use the urinal or bathroom stall right next to you when there are up to 10 available.

I’ll make an exception if they’re hotties.

by Anonymousreply 181October 12, 2020 2:28 PM

[quote] Restaurant servers who ask if you're still working on your meal, as if it's a project.

For some of us it is.

by Anonymousreply 182October 12, 2020 2:29 PM

[quote]Restaurant servers who ask if you're still working on your meal, as if it's a project. And when they bring the leftovers container to the table and leave it for you to fill instead of taking care of it themselves.

1/2 a WW. I hate "working on" it, too. But I'd much rather box my leftovers myself.

by Anonymousreply 183October 12, 2020 2:31 PM

I DON'T like when people say NO WORRIES which has seemed to replace NO PROBLEM.

by Anonymousreply 184October 12, 2020 2:34 PM

R182, if you place the fork face down during the meal, the server would know you're still working, Of course, we don't know if the server knows that rule of table etiquette.

by Anonymousreply 185October 12, 2020 2:35 PM

The fork never leaves my hand long enough to be put down.

by Anonymousreply 186October 12, 2020 2:40 PM

Ok this is definitely meaningless but highly annoying. I've noticed in the last 10 years or so, (I can't remember when it all started getting out of control) but people whether in entertainment or just plain folk, saying "I love you." "I love you" can be used when you just received a genuinely nice compliment "Oh, gee thanks, I love you too!!" or "I love you" is just routinely said back in response to another mindlessly generated "I love you" from friend, neighbour, colleague, strangers (!) even.

On TV, Ellen is the worst offender. Things like...."Yeah I saw your show, and I loved the show, I loved your the emotions you poured out, I loved your presence, I loved the script, and.....I LOVE YOU!!!" Guest typically responds feigning complete surprise, fake glee with "Oh Ellen! I love you too!! I really do!!" This is done every day. Every single day. All the shows do it. Even Simon Cowell now that's been in the Status for a few years is part of that pack "I didn't like your performance. I loved it!" "Oh Simon, thank you!, I love you so much!" Cowell" I love you too."

Oh I love you all!!

by Anonymousreply 187October 12, 2020 2:41 PM

I love you, r187.

by Anonymousreply 188October 12, 2020 2:43 PM

...been in the States, meant to say.

Oh Fuck Off, r188. ...I didn't mean it...sorry. I love you, I really do. sorry about that. Love you.

by Anonymousreply 189October 12, 2020 2:45 PM

As an older gay and graduate of the school of hard knocks, I am annoying by young people who think life is so simple and that they have the road to success and happiness already mapped out with a firm timetable.

Kiddies, it isn't that easy or everyone would have done it.

by Anonymousreply 190October 12, 2020 2:45 PM

Who knew "found purchase" was objectionable

by Anonymousreply 191October 12, 2020 2:47 PM

I hate when news reports redundantly mention that “So and so died tragically...”. Well, duh.

Why not “amusingly,” “deservedly” or “adorably”?

by Anonymousreply 192October 12, 2020 2:49 PM

192 responses in one day.

Safe to assume Dataloungers live annoyed lives.

by Anonymousreply 193October 12, 2020 2:50 PM

People who "call" bullshit. Just say "bullshit." Who cares what you "call"?

by Anonymousreply 194October 12, 2020 2:51 PM

[quote]I DON'T like when people say NO WORRIES which has seemed to replace NO PROBLEM.

Is that an Australian import? Seems like it is when you tack "mate" on the end.

by Anonymousreply 195October 12, 2020 2:51 PM

Married men looking to hook up with discrete guys.

by Anonymousreply 196October 12, 2020 2:52 PM

People who say "So and so called my phone." What else would they call?

by Anonymousreply 197October 12, 2020 2:52 PM

Remember when "Absolutely!" was a big thing around 2007? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 198October 12, 2020 3:02 PM

The people who feel compelled to post who is following specific celebrities on social media sites (Madden and Timmy stans lead the insanity). Don't they have anything to do that matters?

by Anonymousreply 199October 12, 2020 3:03 PM

Waitstaff who clear the plates away one by one as each person finishes, rather than waiting for everyone to finish and then clearing the entire table. Last person to finish ends up sitting eating alone and getting stared at by everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 200October 12, 2020 3:09 PM

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 201October 12, 2020 3:18 PM

[quote] Both are terrible, but I especially hate "clap back."

Clap back is now used in yahoo "news" articles headlines and articles all the time. So fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 202October 12, 2020 3:26 PM

[quote]I am a white boomer man, [R115], and I have never heard "no joy" before. Not even once.

Me either

By the way, there is nothing new about signing correspondence with "best". I remember letters closing this way before email even existed.

by Anonymousreply 203October 12, 2020 3:31 PM

R194 will never, ever call shenanigans.

by Anonymousreply 204October 12, 2020 3:31 PM

California upspeak.

Like? My Uber was super late? Like, it made me late for happy hour??

It has crept into business too, where my otherwise very intelligent colleagues sound like fucking debutantes.

by Anonymousreply 205October 12, 2020 3:40 PM

R192 Reporters who say the fire "totally engulfed" the house. Engulfed means totally. And "five different countries." Same meaning without "different."

by Anonymousreply 206October 12, 2020 3:43 PM

When people say “hundred percent” to indicate they agree with what the other is saying.

by Anonymousreply 207October 12, 2020 3:44 PM

"You're golden," said to indicate to you that you're holding the other end of the couch in the right spot, or you have the painting at just the right height on the wall, or you're standing in the right spot where a tree sould be planted, or anything where you're in the correct location. "You're golden."

by Anonymousreply 208October 12, 2020 3:49 PM

What is a "found purchase?"

by Anonymousreply 209October 12, 2020 4:02 PM

Because no one will fucking Google it:

[quote] [bold] purchase [/bold]: a hold or position on something for applying power advantageously, or the advantage gained by such application. "the horse's hooves fought for purchase on the slippery pavement"

by Anonymousreply 210October 12, 2020 4:04 PM

A lot of this stuff doesn't annoy me but something that does, for some reason - "Real quick". When did it become a thing? "Can I just squeeze in here real quick?" "I just want to ask something real quick". I hear it constantly.

by Anonymousreply 211October 12, 2020 4:04 PM

I've been hearing "real quick" as long as I've been alive, r211. Might it be a North Jerseyism?

by Anonymousreply 212October 12, 2020 4:06 PM

Also - awesome used to be something I thought only I or only kids I was skateboarding or surfing with ever said. Then it became taken over by moms. Now every middle aged woman seems to say everything is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 213October 12, 2020 4:07 PM

R212 I've been hearing "real quick" as long as I've been alive, [R211]. Might it be a North Jerseyism?

Maybe, I don't know. I'm from Mass but my grandmother was from Fort Lee NJ, and my best friend is from Leonia, but I never heard them say it. That I can remember. lol

by Anonymousreply 214October 12, 2020 4:09 PM

Chuck Todd just said 'pump the brakes', which reminded me how much I hate that phrase.

We had a VP who we dubbed Miss Buzzword. Some of her favorites:

"Let's take this offline",

"I'll ping Gertrude and see what she thinks"

"Forward Plan" (who the fuck plans backwards?)

"I'm not sure if we have the bandwidth to handle that right now"

Referring to someone who did little more than wipe their own ass a 'Rockstar', "Jane, you remembered I take two sugars in my coffee, You're a rockstar'.

And the most nonsensical "Failure is not an option" (not only was an option, it's what actually happened. The day the company announced it was closing, I poked my head into Miss Buzzward's office and said 'Well Susan, I guess failure WAS an option after all.' She was not amused.)

by Anonymousreply 215October 12, 2020 4:16 PM

R213 I agree - even the most mildly decent things are called "awesome." How are your chips? Awesome! How was the margarita? Awesome. This weather is awesome. Your haircut is awesome. That shirt is awesome.

Are these things really AWESOME? If those tiny things are awesome, what do we call truly big, awesome things now? OMG SUPER DUPER AWESOME!?

by Anonymousreply 216October 12, 2020 4:19 PM

If you've ever watched My Dinner with Andre, you'll see the perfect waiter. An older man, he unobtrusively does his job while the two diners talk to each other and never tries to insert his personality onto them.

by Anonymousreply 217October 12, 2020 4:46 PM

I love the scene at the end where the waiter makes eye contact for a brief, embarrassed moment with the narrator (forget his name) r217

by Anonymousreply 218October 12, 2020 4:51 PM

The "consent to our cookies or GTFO" messages that pop up on every site now. No, I don't consent!! I just want to read the article without being stalked.

The intrusive video pop-ups with the sound on. Especially if you can't turn them off, or have to frantically scroll up and down the page to find where they've been hidden.

Advertisers are a dirty bunch.

by Anonymousreply 219October 12, 2020 5:51 PM

R216, We Americans tend to be short on adjectives even though we love using them. Every other thing or person is "awesome", even if it's not.

by Anonymousreply 220October 12, 2020 5:52 PM

R218, that would be Wallace Shawn, who also wrote the film and a number of wonderful plays.

by Anonymousreply 221October 12, 2020 6:13 PM

[quote] Advertisers are a dirty bunch.

Not to mention that phones eavesdrop on you and then send you ads based on your conversations.

It's happened too often to be a coincidence, and I've noticed that, during the pandemic when I'm rarely out and about and not talking to anyone about buying anything, the phenomenon has all but stopped

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222October 12, 2020 6:33 PM

"Another senseless murder..."

As opposed to what, a sensible one?

by Anonymousreply 223October 12, 2020 6:40 PM

The word "very" has no objective meaning.

by Anonymousreply 224October 12, 2020 6:57 PM

"He gifted me a..."

It's "He gave me a..."

by Anonymousreply 225October 12, 2020 6:58 PM

More and more people are responding to a reflexive, polite "I'm sorry" or "Oops" for minor things like dropping a pen they handed me with "You're fine!" Instead of something like "That's okay."

I suppose the intent is to excuse the mishap as no big deal, but instead it sounds like they are reassuring me that I am in fact okay as a person. It's indirectly insulting.

by Anonymousreply 226October 12, 2020 7:00 PM

r224 I had a professor who handed out a list of "pet peeves" at the beginning of the semester. These included the words very, really, something, thing ... and starting sentences with "There is/There are", as in "There are people who believe ..."

by Anonymousreply 227October 12, 2020 7:01 PM

I can't stand "problematic". Was that even a real work until a few years ago? I also can't stand the over use of the word "narrative" as in "I want to control the narrative".

R226 I also feel slightly offended when people say "you're fine" in response to me saying something like "excuse me" if I'm trying to pass them. Yes, I know I'm fine you asshole.

by Anonymousreply 228October 12, 2020 7:30 PM

*...Was that a real WORD

by Anonymousreply 229October 12, 2020 7:30 PM

[quote] I can't stand "problematic".

Few things irritate me more.

(I left out ‘very’ in deference to r227’s professor.)

by Anonymousreply 230October 12, 2020 7:38 PM

Gay men who use cutesy names for their husband.

When I hear (or read) 'hubs' or 'husbear' I want to scream.

If you're old enough to get married, you're old enough to refer to him in public as 'my husband'

by Anonymousreply 231October 12, 2020 7:51 PM

R231 Totally agreed. The one idiot I know who uses "husbear" also goes around say 'OMG AWESOMMMMME' about everything. He sounds like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 232October 12, 2020 8:02 PM

I don't like it when my siblings call me "bro". We are all very close and speak with each other several times a week...I just dislike that terminology. Another is the word "peeps". Many of the staff that reported to me would often call their colleagues, "the peeps". What are they chickens or Easter candy?

by Anonymousreply 233October 12, 2020 8:06 PM

[quote]Restaurant servers who ask if you're still working on your meal, as if it's a project.

A server at the Applebee's in Cheyenne, Wyoming, was extremely chipper and ready to please. We ordered several menu items, and after each one, he said, "I can make that work for you!" Every single time. To this day, I still use that phrase around my family.

Instead of signing off "Best" in correspondence, I just use "Regards," and then sign my name.

I can't stand it when TV weather people say "forecasted" instead of "forecast."

"Orientate." No, no, NO!!! It's "orient," as in "a compass will help orient you.

Which should it be: "so fun" or "such fun?" My view is that it should be either "such fun" or "so MUCH fun." I hear people say "it was so fun" and cringe a little each time.

For those of you who are irritated by people who use the same hackneyed word or phrase over and over again, here's how I dealt with it once: A young lady named Janet was on the outer fringes of a group I hung around with. No one ever told her that the hippie movement had pretty much dried up some 20 years previously. She dressed as a flower child and used stilted-sounding 1970s vernacular, like "groovy," "far out," and the one that really triggered me, "mellow," which she used to describe way too many things and situations. So I decided to play the game too. I started using "mellow" for everything, albeit incorrectly—"god, look at that Nissan; that is so mellow." "Did you see '60 Minutes' last night? It was pretty mellow." "This Big Mac is sure mellow." "Yeah, 'Schindler's List' was majorly mellow." After not all that long, Janet finally retired her favorite word.

by Anonymousreply 234October 12, 2020 8:21 PM

R211, I began hearing "real quick" on the ID Channel, when a cop wants to get information from a suspect and doesn't want to take too much time.

by Anonymousreply 235October 12, 2020 8:24 PM

Weather people who say the snow will cover Bergen and Hudson County,. It's counties !!!

by Anonymousreply 236October 12, 2020 8:26 PM

[quote] "Orientate." No, no, NO!!! It's "orient," as in "a compass will help orient you.

[quote]Which should it be: "so fun" or "such fun?" My view is that it should be either "such fun" or "so MUCH fun." I hear people say "it was so fun" and cringe a little each time.

I want to marry you, RexOfSB.

by Anonymousreply 237October 12, 2020 8:33 PM

"Let's review this and I'll circle back to you."

Pronouns in signatures. It proves to me you shouldn't be taken seriously. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 238October 12, 2020 8:38 PM

R174 I made that mistake and left the ‘by’ out. You made me laugh and I ww’d you.

by Anonymousreply 239October 12, 2020 8:55 PM

r238 I could write a tome on pronouns in academia.

I recently received an email from a colleague that, and I kid you not, was signed off like this:

John Smith he/she/they

by Anonymousreply 240October 12, 2020 9:17 PM

People who refer to themselves in a definitive pronoun. La Senertice, El Senetrice, The Donald. It speaks to extreme narcissistic tendencies. Like nicknames those should always be assigned to you by someone else. Naming yourself the King of Pop also falls into that category.

by Anonymousreply 241October 12, 2020 9:18 PM

While we're on names ... people who insist on spelling their names in lowercase letters in all contexts

by Anonymousreply 242October 12, 2020 9:20 PM

[quote]People who refer to themselves in a definitive pronoun.

Have the millennials renovated "definite pronoun"?

by Anonymousreply 243October 12, 2020 9:23 PM

Something that annoys me a lot is...

"I've asked you to not do that." "I can't stand her boyfriend. I told her to not go out with him again." "He makes me want to not vote for him."

Is this splitting an infinitive? I've never been good at grammar. Anyhow I just know "Not to go" sounds better - for example. I see it a lot more than I used to - on social media, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 244October 12, 2020 9:50 PM

I don't know whether it's actually incorrect, but when adults say they did something 'on accident' instead of 'by accident' I think it sounds like their vocabulary hasn't matured since they were six.

by Anonymousreply 245October 12, 2020 10:25 PM

[quote] As opposed to what, a sensible one?

If you killed me, it would be sensible.

by Anonymousreply 246October 12, 2020 10:56 PM

Not sure if it's meaningless but people who make noise and/or don't turn off their phones in cinemas, concert halls, etc. I'm a pretty mellow person but this makes me murderous.

Background noise of any kind, especially at night. Also noisy chewing and lip smacking. I have misophonia and this makes me suffer.

by Anonymousreply 247October 12, 2020 11:06 PM

My friend and me are a few of the last holdouts- I can't stand when people say- How's your MOM and DAD instead of the PROPER- How's your mother and father?

by Anonymousreply 248October 12, 2020 11:10 PM

Or maybe - how ARE your parents?

by Anonymousreply 249October 12, 2020 11:11 PM

Girls! Girls! You're ALL pedantic!

by Anonymousreply 250October 12, 2020 11:13 PM

Talking on the cell phone or watching videos without headphones in public places is trashy and completely devoid of manners.

by Anonymousreply 251October 12, 2020 11:15 PM

Unless you’re hot and watching porn.

by Anonymousreply 252October 12, 2020 11:16 PM

People who say they care and fail to match words with behavior.

by Anonymousreply 253October 12, 2020 11:24 PM

Oh GOD how I hate the fucking pronoun bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 254October 13, 2020 12:49 AM

[quote]I want to marry you, RexOfSB.

Aww, thanks r237. Unfortunately, my two ill-behaved Siberian Huskies go with the package, though, and I wouldn't wish those beasts on anyone. But if you're up to a little foolin' around, I'm your man.

One other thing that irks me is when someone says their phone or other electronic device "ran out of batteries." No it fucking didn't! The batteries ran down. Last year the spokeswoman for the Santa Barbara County Sheriff;s Office actually said that in a TV interview.

Life is so complicated for those of us who think.

by Anonymousreply 255October 13, 2020 1:24 AM

People who shit and won’t flush. I do not understand this behavior!

by Anonymousreply 256October 13, 2020 1:34 AM

People who say "stand on line".

Fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 257October 13, 2020 1:51 AM

This thread really devolved into the Grammar Police Hoedown.

by Anonymousreply 258October 13, 2020 1:52 AM

R115 the only time I’ve heard no joy in real life was when I was in the Air Force and we were doing some training. It was also said in Top Gun. It was a military term, so I can see how/ why boomer men have taken it and started using it to mean ‘negative’.

by Anonymousreply 259October 13, 2020 2:51 AM

I find "such and such is no joke" meaning something is really good to be mind numbingly annoying.

by Anonymousreply 260October 13, 2020 2:56 AM

I'm annoyed by people who eat on public transportation. Not just a bagel or coffee but real food. I'm not talking about long distance trains or even buses, but local city buses and subways. I got on a subway the other day and some asshole was having what looked like nachos for lunch. Obviously no mask, and the whole subway car smelled like nachos.

I get it, you're busy, and these days, many places are take-out only, but find a bench, and have your lunch like a person. Your digestion, and fellow passengers, will appreciate it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261October 13, 2020 3:17 AM

TV news. One newscaster handing off a story to the other newscaster:

[quote] "Yeah, Chad, there was a five-car chain reaction on I-17 this morning."

Beginning a sentence with "Yeah," is my point.

by Anonymousreply 262October 13, 2020 3:33 AM

[quote]This thread really devolved into the Grammar Police Hoedown.

It's curious how so many, even the guy who said repeatedly that his pet peeve really WAS meaningless, call anyone who uses a colloquialism that they hate a "tard" or an "idiot" or a "moron."

If that's how angry they get over some meaningless verbal quirk, what happens when something that actually matters irritates them?

by Anonymousreply 263October 13, 2020 11:50 AM

When the cashier hands me my receipt and change together at once. And, worse still, doesn’t “face” the bills; i.e., facing them all the same way.

by Anonymousreply 264October 13, 2020 11:56 AM

I had a friend who had to take a few keys off her key chain to use. When the second friend came back she asked it she could put them back on the key chain.

Then she got condescending and re-did the process, claiming friend 2 had put the keys on the key chain "the wrong way." She wanted all the jagged edges of the keys facing the same direction.

It made me think that meaningless things annoy you if meaningless things matter to you.

by Anonymousreply 265October 13, 2020 12:18 PM

People who leave their shopping carts in spaces in the car park so that no one else can use the space because they're too lazy to return them to the cart carrel before leaving.

by Anonymousreply 266October 13, 2020 12:26 PM

People who noisily unwrap lozenges or other candies in a theatre, never mind those who talk constantly during films and theatre.

by Anonymousreply 267October 13, 2020 12:35 PM

[quote]She wanted all the jagged edges of the keys facing the same direction.

Isn't that how everyone does it?

by Anonymousreply 268October 13, 2020 12:37 PM

People who come to your home and start criticizing the way you do things. "Oh, this is not how you fold towels"; "You clean your oven wrong", etc. Bitch, either do it yourself, or STFU!

Same with (hierarchically equal) coworkers who love to pick on everyone and brag how much better they do the same things.

by Anonymousreply 269October 13, 2020 12:52 PM

[quote] Isn't that how everyone does it?

I can honestly say I have never once noticed how my keys are arranged on my key ring.

But one thing that annoys me is that my partner doesn't align the shades in the living room. We have three shades, covering the three windows. He'll raise the shades, but leave them at different levels. Drives me nuts. I'm forever adjusting them so they're all at the same height.

I find it odd that this bothers me, as I am in no other way OCD. Other things in the apartment are neat, but by no means meticulous. But the shades being at different levels drives me to distraction

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270October 13, 2020 1:08 PM

Any Yelp reviewer that states the food was "Yummy" or an adult that refers to their parents as mommy and daddy.

by Anonymousreply 271October 13, 2020 1:09 PM

I have only one such visual OCDism, too, r270. I can't stand for drawers to be left open. Cabinet doors I couldn't care less about, but open drawers disturb the living fuck out of me.

by Anonymousreply 272October 13, 2020 1:23 PM

R49 - haha. And yet conversely, some English-speaking person decided long ago that the likes of Roma, Milano, Venezia, Firenze, etc. were just too damn hard to wrap one's tongue around...

by Anonymousreply 273October 13, 2020 1:31 PM

R273 It bothers me when people act as though only Anglos translate the names of foreign cities. It shows how little one knows about foreign languages, it’s not like Italians say London (Londra), Paris (Parigi), München (Monaco di Bavaria), Stockholm (Stoccolma), etc.

by Anonymousreply 274October 13, 2020 1:50 PM

R274 - agreed. Sadly, I only speak 4. However, I do appreciate that Italians gave those cities a taste of their own treatment; from now on, I'm going with 'Londra' and 'Parigi'.

by Anonymousreply 275October 13, 2020 1:55 PM

Mi piacciono i nomi italiani per tutte quelle città, r274 r275.

by Anonymousreply 276October 13, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote] Buzz words and phrases like “wheelhouse”

Surprise them & replace wheelbarrow” with “bailiwick.”

“Not my bailiwick, mate.”

by Anonymousreply 277October 13, 2020 2:18 PM

Men over forty who wear jeans.

by Anonymousreply 278October 13, 2020 2:38 PM

I'm 60 and I wear jeans when it's cold. What am I supposed to be wearing? Slacks? A caftan?

My pet peeve is "forums." The plural is "fora."

by Anonymousreply 279October 13, 2020 2:46 PM

The Americanized word burglarized, as in, "The delinquent youths burglarized the bakery and made off with $300". The word is burgled, Americans.

by Anonymousreply 280October 13, 2020 2:51 PM

R273, which English borrowed from the French (Rome, Milan, Venise, Florence, Italie).

by Anonymousreply 281October 13, 2020 2:52 PM

[quote] Your Phone Is Listening and it's Not Paranoia

Many years ago I said something to my husband about how I’d been talking to my mother about something & I got a bunch of those ads disguised as “news” about the same subject on my phone & he said, “ I think the phone is listening to you. I’m sure I heard somewhere that they can hear you.” And I was all “Yeah right, Professor. My phone is listening to me (eye roll) .” Now we all know for sure our phones are listening. My son & nusband insist on having apple Home. I won’t heave it upstairs in my living quarters. (They spend most of their time watching sports & reruns of The Office in the living room. I don’t).

by Anonymousreply 282October 13, 2020 2:55 PM

Tip - go to the settings on your phone, and for every app, turn off the microphone permission. (Except, of course the phone app itself.) That way Google can't listen to you. I did this and now I don't get ads any more based on what I said casually.

by Anonymousreply 283October 13, 2020 3:00 PM

I don’t have “microphone” under my apps. I have “cellular data,” though.

by Anonymousreply 284October 13, 2020 3:03 PM

R264, R265, OMG, I'm not alone. In my younger days, when I worked retail, I was always taught to organize the bills in the till with all of them face up, flat, and in the same direction. And to count change back to the customer. So today, whenever some kid hands me back a stack of crumpled bills facing different directions, with coins and receipt on top, it hits a nerve.

Similarly, all my keys on the key ring just have to have the jagged edge facing the same direction.

I also have to have all the blinds in the office raised at same level. If it's something that I can't control, I would avoid looking in that direction.

by Anonymousreply 285October 13, 2020 3:08 PM

I hate it when I’ve googled a recipe and have to wade through endless fucking paragraphs about the family history of the recipe, the author’s incredibly stressful life as a stay at home mom and part-time blogger, and whether or not “Hubby and the kiddos” liked the dish. Is it really necessary to include a gazillion photos of the finished product? How about a few pictures of the dish as it’s being prepared? Just get to the point by giving us a list of ingredients and how to cook the damn thing....no one cares about any of the other stuff.

by Anonymousreply 286October 13, 2020 3:15 PM

The phrase, “You won the Internet.” or “You’ve won the internet for today.”

It irritates the hell out of me and it’s used so often in reply to something funny/witty.

So dumb.

by Anonymousreply 287October 13, 2020 3:23 PM

Where do you here "You won the internet"? That one is new to me. Is it a British thing?

by Anonymousreply 288October 13, 2020 3:33 PM

R266, it's a parking lot, not a car park. It's a cart corral, not a cart carrel.

by Anonymousreply 289October 13, 2020 3:56 PM

R285, I had a clerk in a Walgreens count my change back to me a couple weeks ago and I made a complimentary comment on how rare that is now.

by Anonymousreply 290October 13, 2020 4:03 PM

[quote] I was always taught to organize the bills in the till with all of them face up, flat, and in the same direction. And to count change back to the customer

You can blame technology for this.

Before about 1975 cash registers generally didn't tell the cashier how much change to give. As you said, if the purchase was $16.77 and the customer gave you a $20, we were instructed to put the $20 on the little shelf, manually count back the change as you took it out of the till, then give the money to the customer (who by now had their hand out) in the same manner: 'The total was $16.77 and you gave me twenty. then count the change as you gave it to them.

Only then would you put the $20 in the till and shut the drawer, just in case the customer said 'Hey, I gave you a $50. It was laborious, but improved accuracy.

Today's cashiers couldn't do that if you put a gun to their head. If you really want to fuck with a cashier, and your purchase is, say $32.05, give them $40, wait for them to key it into the POS and then say 'Oh wait, here's a nickel' and watch the utter panic in their eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291October 13, 2020 4:08 PM

Also, today cashiers need to deal with so many more customers so a time-consuming ritual like this could cause a riot in the queue.

by Anonymousreply 292October 13, 2020 4:21 PM

R288. People don’t say it, they write it. I see it mostly on Facebook if someone writes a funny response to someone else’s post, someone always replies with ‘you just won the internet!’ It’s been going on for years, and I thought it’d be phased out by now, but nope, still around.

by Anonymousreply 293October 13, 2020 4:27 PM

R291, I was in retail in the mid-90s, and all the registers read back change. I think we counted back change as assurance that we were handing the customer correct change. I guess this practice is lost to the past.

Recently, I was at a drive-thru and my order came out to $15.32. I gave the guy a $20 and said, "I think I have 32 cents" as I fish out loose change from my armrest storage box. He starts to hand me four 1s and some change, but I say, "here's 32 cents." Perplexed, he responds, "Oh, I already rang it up." I say, "Yes, but here's 32 cents, and you give me back $5." He says, "No, I already rang it up." I guess it was my fault for not having the exact change ready, but still the guy couldn't do simple arithmetic in his head and had to rely on what his register said.

by Anonymousreply 294October 13, 2020 4:51 PM

R293, in the same vein, I hate when on Twitter someone replies to a Tweet with "That earned you a follow". Oh gee thanks, I am so honored.

by Anonymousreply 295October 13, 2020 4:51 PM

Is r248 for real?

Some of you don't know your Raising Arizona well enough.

[quote] her womb was a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296October 13, 2020 5:02 PM

Time-consuming ritual? It's 10 seconds, max.

by Anonymousreply 297October 13, 2020 5:14 PM

[quote] Surprise them & replace wheelbarrow” with “bailiwick.”

“Hey, I gotta move these bricks. Wanna give me a hand?”

“Sure. Let me just get the bailiwick.”

Doesn’t have the same ring to it.

by Anonymousreply 298October 13, 2020 5:18 PM

[quote] Men over forty who wear jeans.

Dafuq?

by Anonymousreply 299October 13, 2020 5:19 PM

R294, similar story:

I was at the supermarket and my order came to $14.65. Gave the clerk $25. She tried to hand me back the $5 bill. I said I gave you $25 so I’d get a 10 back.

Perplexed.

by Anonymousreply 300October 13, 2020 5:20 PM

[quote] but still the guy couldn't do simple arithmetic in his head and had to rely on what his register said

Actually, cashiers are trained to do this because of the number of short-change operators out there. That guy who says he will give you 32 cents then hands back the five and says, "Oh, have can you take this five and the five you owe me and give me a ten?" all the while the poor guy has a clock on his wall counting down the 4 minutes he has to turn over a customer at his window.

by Anonymousreply 301October 13, 2020 5:21 PM

Beautiful people, that have equally beautiful boyfriends, money, and homes telling me about their anxiety. I saw this video by Sam Cushing show up on my Youtube suggestions. He's a nice guy but I really don't need to hear about his "issues" when everything else in the world appears to be going his way. It's not even so much about jealousy because I know I will never look that attractive, but it's like scrolling through Instagram, why put yourself through the heartache. So yeah, vids from guys that look like that are super annoying.

We all had coming out issues. Guys like Sam are welcomed into the gay community with open arms. I get side-eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302October 13, 2020 5:21 PM

My post reminded me:

People who put the $ symbol AFTER the denomination so it looks like this:

“I spent 5$ on that coffee!”

by Anonymousreply 303October 13, 2020 5:22 PM

It really is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304October 13, 2020 5:52 PM

I had an eccentric (pretentious) boss, who was born and raised in the US, but he would write his figures in the European way: $ 1.234.567,89; $ 100.000,00 . So when I'd look at his proposals and spreadsheets, his numbers would throw me off. Even on shared documents, where everybody would write their numbers in the US conventional way, he'd add in his figures in European format. This would annoy me, so I'd go in and change them so everything would be uniform. When I asked him why he followed the European convention, he gave some stupid answer like, "Well, my wife's Spanish and my grandfather was Swedish." What does that have to do with anything??? I'm so glad I don't work with that pretentious prick anymore.

by Anonymousreply 305October 13, 2020 6:04 PM

When people use social media as Google. "What time does X close?" It's one thing if you're looking for opinions or feedback, but facts?

Someone started a thread the other day asking if a couple was still together. They are all over each others instagram. Be less lazy, people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306October 13, 2020 6:17 PM

[quote]Where do you here "You won the internet"? That one is new to me. Is it a British thing?

Several years ago there was a TV show on Comedy Central called [italic]@Midnight With Chris Hardwick.[/italic] It was a mildly amusing celebrity talk show. At the end, Chris would ask the celebrities a few questions, and whoever got the most right "won the Internet." This little catchphrase caught on and people are still using it.

by Anonymousreply 307October 13, 2020 11:56 PM

R279 - One of mine is "referenda" - the plural is actually referendums.

by Anonymousreply 308October 14, 2020 12:47 PM

Agenda is plural.

by Anonymousreply 309October 14, 2020 1:12 PM

Misspellings of my name in replies to emails, never mind that both my email address and signature include my (correctly-spelled) name. Lazy, careless, and indifferent.

by Anonymousreply 310October 14, 2020 2:02 PM

People who refer to women as “females”. It’s so damn trashy.

by Anonymousreply 311October 14, 2020 3:12 PM

Farting while I’m eating your ass

by Anonymousreply 312October 14, 2020 4:32 PM

When people pronounce the "t" in "often"

by Anonymousreply 313October 14, 2020 4:52 PM

I love when people pronounce the T in often!!

by Anonymousreply 314October 14, 2020 5:46 PM

I hate when people say "drizzle" when describing food.

by Anonymousreply 315October 15, 2020 12:27 AM

Both pronunciations of "often" are acceptable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316October 15, 2020 12:30 AM

Not using a capital first letter for my name.

I'm worth the capitalisation people!

by Anonymousreply 317October 15, 2020 7:11 AM

PhDs who get pissed when random people who they have only occasionally met forget to refer to them as "doctor". We get it, you want to feel special.

by Anonymousreply 318October 15, 2020 12:29 PM

R309 - Yes, agenda is plural. But the plural of referendum IS referendums.

by Anonymousreply 319October 15, 2020 12:38 PM

These phrases -- which I keep seeing more and more -- annoy the shit out of me:

"I'm here for that."

"I'm not here for that."

by Anonymousreply 320October 15, 2020 1:00 PM

People who use the adjective good in place of the adverb well.

Those who work for Greenpeace and Doctors Without Borders are "doing good". You are doing well.

by Anonymousreply 321October 15, 2020 1:02 PM

[quote]I hate it when I’ve googled a recipe and have to wade through endless fucking paragraphs about the family history of the recipe

This is a running joke for me and my husband. We look up recipes online. You have to read through their entire life story just to get to the actual recipe. I think it's designed to sell more ads. I don't care about your life story in relation to this dish, bitch. Just give me the recipe.

by Anonymousreply 322October 15, 2020 1:18 PM

"This thread is full of win!"

Thankfully, that phrase seems to have died out.

by Anonymousreply 323October 15, 2020 1:21 PM

[quote] Not using a capital first letter for my name.

Oh get over it

by Anonymousreply 324October 15, 2020 3:04 PM

We tend to speak in idioms or popular phrasings in normal conversations 99% of the time it seems: I'm as guilty as the next party:

Sign me up!

Get out of town!

What's up with that?

Been there, done that

Give me a break

You're so full of it

Seemed like a good idea at the time

Just the facts, ma'am

Livin' the Dream!

I wouldn't kick him out bed for eating crackers

Weigts 180 pounds soaking wet

Beam me up!

Catch some Zzzzzss

by Anonymousreply 325October 15, 2020 4:39 PM

^^^^ Weighs .....

by Anonymousreply 326October 15, 2020 4:39 PM

R62

accede

by Anonymousreply 327October 15, 2020 4:56 PM

The way English speakers pronounce Latin.

by Anonymousreply 328October 15, 2020 5:12 PM

Any misspellings or typos in things that are supposedly edited and proofed like books, magazine articles, etc.

Special irritation arrives when it’s on the chyron on the news and stays for a while. Didn’t the producer, director, or even an intern see that (or see it now) and correct it?!

by Anonymousreply 329October 15, 2020 5:38 PM

Doctors Without Borders are doing good, as in doing good things for others.

by Anonymousreply 330October 15, 2020 8:52 PM

When you're on the uptown 3 train from 110th St on, when they announce over and over and over—and over—that the 3 doesn't go to the Bronx, and if that's you, you must transfer at 135th St. to the 2 train. It's the repetition that annoys me.

Ditto with the 1 train and the first five cars are the only ones that will open at South Ferry

by Anonymousreply 331October 15, 2020 11:42 PM

Not meaningless, r331.

by Anonymousreply 332October 16, 2020 12:50 AM

When people smell their fingers when exiting the restroom.

by Anonymousreply 333October 16, 2020 12:55 AM

[quote] Ditto with the 1 train and the first five cars are the only ones that will open at South Ferry

You can relax. The new/old South Ferry station has reopened and now you can ride in any car.

Re: repetitive announcements. I used to take the L all the way out to E105 for work. Frequently there would be delays so in order to speed things up, trains would sometimes skip stations, going express from Broadway Junction to E105. At Broadway Junction, the conductor would say over and over again "This train is going express to East 105. If you need stations between here and East 105 get off and wait for the train directly behind us'. Over and over again. I'd think 'Shut up and go already'.

Invariably, people would look up from their phones as we whizzed by their station, completely bewildered as to why we weren't stopping. One time, as I was exiting at E105 some old hag was screaming at the conductor, berating him for not announcing that the train would be skipping stops. He said 'I did say we were going express', at which point I interjected 'Yes, he did tell us', The old bag turned and snarled at me 'Who asked YOU?'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334October 16, 2020 2:33 PM

"Misspellings of my name in replies to emails, never mind that both my email address and signature include my (correctly-spelled) name. Lazy, careless, and indifferent."

Really? Let me guess, you're one of those obnoxious people that everyone hates who insist on the current spelling of a very common name: "My name is Kayla! Spelled C-H-E-I-L-A-H! Kayla!! Are you stupid or something?!"

No. People are just really fucking tired of name Nazis like you, and if I knew what your name is, I would sign it the correct spelling. Not whatever your parents decided to curse you with.

by Anonymousreply 335October 17, 2020 8:09 AM

“Have a great REST OF your day!”

You can’t just say “have a great day!”?!?

by Anonymousreply 336October 17, 2020 4:01 PM

Have a good one, r336.

by Anonymousreply 337October 17, 2020 11:22 PM

The correct reply to "have a good one" is, "I do—I just wish it were bigger."

by Anonymousreply 338October 18, 2020 12:02 AM

Yes, I use that George Carlin line all the time:

“I already have a good one! I’m looking for a longer one!”

by Anonymousreply 339October 18, 2020 12:07 AM

R337 "Have a good one" doesn't bother me at all compared to "have a good rest of your day." The latter is just so CLUNKY.

by Anonymousreply 340October 18, 2020 1:32 AM

Today, I’ve chosen to be offended by lazy pop lyricists who mangle grammar for the sake of an easy rhyme.

(Biggest offender: Paula Cole. “And say a little prayer for I.” What? I as in the chemical symbol for iodine? Just no.)

And how did this couplet from Donna Summer’s “This Time I Know It’s For Real” slip by the Grammar Police? “Do I stand in line / One of a million admiring eyes”? WHAT?!? Miss Donna Summer was not a Cyclops!

Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 341October 26, 2020 5:49 PM

[R22], how does it feel to hate me?

by Anonymousreply 342October 26, 2020 5:53 PM

When people type "the house looks fun" instead of "the house looks like fun."

by Anonymousreply 343October 26, 2020 5:59 PM

This affects people who don't have their own washer/dryer, so I guess that's New Yorkers and people who live in trailer parks.

It drives me crazy when my neighbors (communal laundry room) don't clean the lint filter after they're done drying their clothes. I always clean the filter before I remove my clothes from the dryer, but because I live in a building with lazy assholes, I have to clean it before I put my clothes in as well. Not only is is thoughtless, it can cause a fire.

It's not like I live in some tenement under the elevated train either, the apartment next door just sold for 900K, which is cheap enough for Manhattan, but still not exactly the low-rent district.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344October 27, 2020 12:03 AM

One day they will use this thread to test psychiatry grad students on their diagnostic skills

by Anonymousreply 345October 27, 2020 12:16 AM

Using the washing machine in my apartment complex and there’s residual fabric softener in the receptacle.

Fabric softener is useless, smelly, and I don’t want that shit on my clothes. Use a dryer sheet, for fucks sake.

by Anonymousreply 346October 27, 2020 12:22 AM

Guys with nice bodies, escorts, Grindr, instagram, who photoshop shadows to make themselves look more defined or draw the muscles in all together, so fucking stupid and vain. All you do is have to pinch and zoom to see their hack job.

I really hate bragging, showing diamond jewelry, private jets, posts with your cars emblem. Again vapid and stupid. I hope something rocks your fucking shallow exhausting existence.

Fake happy hello greetings, mostly customer service. Just be genuine. Say hello mutual eye contact if you feel appropriate.

Dry skin - chapped lips- dirty fingernails on other people - bad hygiene on other people

Wiggers

Colored contact lenses

Blasting your music in your car for others- guess what. Nobody else is feeling your taste.

Proximity things. Especially in COVID. I went off on someone I see all the time I shop. The stuff was in bins and they decided to dig thru the exact same one I was in. They had done it before and let it slide-this time I told them get the fuck off of being on top of me- 6 feet asshole. I felt very bad, but it had to be done. Seen them since, I acted like it never happened and so did they, I wasn’t going to apologize but felt I over reacted. But again their lack of awareness annoyed the shit out of me. I had to say something

People that walk in front of the mirror in front of you at the gym, go behind someone working out in a mirror, same for don’t drop in on the equipment, or change the equipment you clearly see them using.

People that don’t know how to walk and awkwardly walk into people trying to avoid walking them into them

Using a too small leash on a dog. My mom has a rescue German Shepard mix. She walks her with a 3 foot leash and a choke collar. A seven year old adult 90+ pound dog. She says it’s because someone told her to do it so she won’t pull her down. It makes me so mad. I walk that dog with a 20ft retractable leash. Such a sweet dog. Sometimes stubborn but never pulls me. My mom accuses me of hiding her stupid fucking leash

Chain smokers. . Don’t have anything against smokers. Hate chain smokers. Respect yourself at least a little to somewhat care about being able to breath.

by Anonymousreply 347October 27, 2020 1:14 AM

R196 discrete ≠ discreet

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 348October 27, 2020 1:24 AM

On the change thoughts, this really, really annoys me.

At a drive-thru, I want the cashier to put the coins in my outstretched palm, then the bills and receipt. This happens maybe 1 in 25 times.

Bills and/or receipt first then coins on top means a coin or more slip out as you close your hand.

by Anonymousreply 349October 27, 2020 1:30 AM

People who say “like” constantly.

Best.

by Anonymousreply 350October 27, 2020 1:39 AM

[quote] “Have a great REST OF your day!”

Ugh, I hate that one, too, and it's become ubiquitous. Unless it's your goal to sound like a moron, say "have a great day" or "enjoy the rest of your day," but not "have a great rest of your day."

by Anonymousreply 351October 27, 2020 1:57 AM

Dancing With The Stars

by Anonymousreply 352October 27, 2020 2:36 AM

Cracker Barrel

by Anonymousreply 353October 27, 2020 2:37 AM

[quote] She says it’s because someone told her to do it so she won’t pull her down.

If you can't carry the dog, you shouldn't be walking the dog. You're just not strong enough.

by Anonymousreply 354October 27, 2020 6:28 AM

Calling anything second hand, especially clothing, vintage. People who use substitute swear words, e.g., feck instead of fuck. People who sit in the aisle seat of a crowded bus leaving the window seat vacant.

Public transport needs a thread of its own. Everything about it is annoying as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 355October 27, 2020 7:30 AM

"and how is everything tasting???"

by Anonymousreply 356October 27, 2020 7:35 AM

R355 - yes I hate the people who deliberately ensure that no one sits next to them on public transport. As if they are too good for someone to sit next them and they think it should be someone else that has someone sit next to them. I single them out and ask to sit next to them, just to irk them.

by Anonymousreply 357October 27, 2020 7:52 AM

" ... just to irk them."

I like your style, r357. However, I don't ask, I just indicate physically that I'm going to sit there. I don't waste politeness on rude people.

by Anonymousreply 358October 27, 2020 8:12 AM

It irritates me when I'm happily exploring a new city on google maps, plonk the figure down for street view, and end up trapped in a shop. I wish there was some way of turning that off.

by Anonymousreply 359October 27, 2020 9:27 AM

R9 & R24 Fuck that "being mad because people aren't sitting next to me on public transportation" bit.

I prefer it. In and out of pandemic. I'm usually listening to a podcast, or reading a book. And I'm definitely never the one that smells. I happen to like people, but where public transportation is concerned: unless it's a busy day, stay away. I VANT TO BE ALONE.

by Anonymousreply 360October 27, 2020 10:31 AM

[quote]The guys who have to use the urinal or bathroom stall right next to you when there are up to 10 available.

Never bothered me!

by Anonymousreply 361October 27, 2020 10:38 AM

Life.

by Anonymousreply 362October 27, 2020 10:49 AM

when somone belches in my presence.

by Anonymousreply 363October 27, 2020 10:50 AM

R349, I think the coins are placed first so that you are less likely to drop them.

When they are on top of the bills and reciept they can more easily slide on to the ground.

by Anonymousreply 364October 27, 2020 12:11 PM

[quote] Colored contact lenses

Hey!!

That’s contact lenses of color.

I’ve got my eye on you.

by Anonymousreply 365October 27, 2020 3:47 PM

R355 This irritates me too, especially amongst grown adults. If you can't say fuck, why say it at all? I cringe everything I hear someone say "frick," "frig" etc. instead of "fuck." Why even BOTHER trying to fake swear if you can't say "fuck"!! Why self-censor?

Alternatively, I used to work in an elementary school and got pretty good at substituting "shit" with words like "shoot!" or "damn" with "darn," which don't bother me at all compared to the fake swears for "fuck"! Although, once I said "shoot" and a kid looked me dead in the eye and said "I knew what word you were GOING to say."

by Anonymousreply 366October 27, 2020 4:48 PM

Hipster ‘artisan’ anything.

by Anonymousreply 367October 27, 2020 4:51 PM

[quote] Although, once I said "shoot" and a kid looked me dead in the eye and said "I knew what word you were GOING to say."

That’s hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 368October 27, 2020 5:21 PM

R366, that kid sounds awesome. And I agree with your points about swearing, which I see mostly in typing, and it's been annoying me for years. "Who the eff? What the f***?" It drives me fucking crazy! If people are going to go through the effort of typing out three stars in the word fuck, why not just type fuck? Aggravating.

But I have been noticing it in speech quite often recently, and I think it's because of a need some people have to be as inoffensive as possible, given the current culture of being offended and telling everyone else what to be offended by. Which I think is why I've been noticing a lot more people saying things like goshdarnit, oh my gosh, holy heck, dadgummit. Very strange.

by Anonymousreply 369October 28, 2020 6:37 AM

"given the current culture of being offended and telling everyone else what to be offended by"

All the more reason to say it.

by Anonymousreply 370October 28, 2020 8:57 AM

"intellectuals" and "philosophers" who say "I'm cognizant of the fact..." Instead of. "I know that..."

by Anonymousreply 371October 28, 2020 9:05 AM

Buh-en - this is connecticut, manhattan speak. Ma ha en = manhattan , can't think of any others at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 372October 28, 2020 9:38 AM

People who use "her" and "him" as subject pronouns.

by Anonymousreply 373October 28, 2020 11:03 AM

[quote] If people are going to go through the effort of typing out three stars in the word fuck, why not just type fuck? Aggravating.

I think this stems from attempts to circumvent censorship programs that would automatically censor bad words.

by Anonymousreply 374October 28, 2020 8:51 PM

When people post recipes on food websites. They get ratings and comments. Which is fine until someone posts something like, "I used margarine instead of butter because DH is watching his cholestrol...it didn't turn out good at all. I won't try again.".

Or when they do and say, "I used cheddar instead of mozzarella. Made it even better.". When you deviate from the recipe, it's not the same. I try to follow a recipe to the letter.

And I wonder why I live alone.

by Anonymousreply 375October 29, 2020 8:58 PM

Trump's tiny hands doing a fist pump.

by Anonymousreply 376October 29, 2020 9:02 PM

But everyone adapts a recipe after they try it once or twice. No one continues to make it as given.

So for most of us, it is helpful to get some idea of possible variations---because when you deviate it is not the same and a little help is always good.

by Anonymousreply 377October 29, 2020 11:00 PM

(My mother was an award-winning baker. One year, one of her pie recipes won first prize in a state-wide competition. My sister is the queen of substitutions in recipes, initially because she was cheap; now, because she's just stupid. To wit, margarine for butter, milk for heavy cream, applesauce for oil, Quaker oats for bread crumbs, bacon for prosciutto, yogurt in place of sour cream, etc., etc. Nothing is ever comme il faut. Mom will not give the pie recipe to my sister because she knows that she will fuck it up and tell people it was her mom's prize-winning recipe. Mom gave it to me only after I swore that I would never give it to my sister.)

by Anonymousreply 378October 30, 2020 2:16 AM

I guess we really are talking about meaningless things now.

by Anonymousreply 379October 30, 2020 3:32 AM

People who make their entire post parenthetical.

by Anonymousreply 380October 30, 2020 9:40 PM

People who use the term award-winning as if it would mean something without specifying what the award is.

by Anonymousreply 381October 31, 2020 1:22 AM

The FAQ section on Amazon (for any product). People post legit questions, but then there are these idiots who respond with, “I don’t know” or “I have no idea” — as if they were being personally asked a question and as if their idiotic answer was somehow useful.

by Anonymousreply 382October 31, 2020 3:21 AM

TOTALLY agree! And 378, please post your mom's recipe. We won't tell sis!

by Anonymousreply 383October 31, 2020 1:28 PM

R382,

I used to laugh at this, too. It used to piss me off until I found out why.

When you purchase something, Amazon occasionally sends you emails asking you to “help this customer with [the product you purchased].” They’ll tell you the question asked as if it is directed only at you. While anyone with common sense would just ignore it if they didn’t know, I guess they think they’re the only ones Amazon sent the email to.

Also, there’s a button for “I don’t know” in the email, so it’s possible if you hit that button your comment shows up that way, but I’m not certain.

by Anonymousreply 384October 31, 2020 2:18 PM

That's another one - emails that beg you for feedback.

"Hi we hope you're enjoying your haemorrhoid cream. Why not leave a review and let others see what you think?"

by Anonymousreply 385November 5, 2020 1:15 PM

Blonde women who think my gaze is a signal that I'm interested in them -- when in fact I'm scoping out their boyfriends.

by Anonymousreply 386November 5, 2020 1:29 PM

Every word that comes out of Ivanka Trump's.

by Anonymousreply 387November 5, 2020 1:31 PM

The blatant misuse of apostrophes. I don't understand how people think that every word that ends with "S" needs an apostrophe in front of it. I am so sick and tired of people typing things like "car's and truck's for sale!" or "Monday's at 9!" or "DVD's this way!" Fucking stop it! I especially hate the misuse of apostrophes regarding a decade.

A decade is not sentient, therefore, no "'+s" required. If people are going to simplify, the apostrophe is supposed to take the place of, say, 19 or 20. Therefore, the 1990s would be shortened to "the '90s," *not* "the 90's." Arrghhh, so aggravating.

by Anonymousreply 388December 11, 2020 6:01 PM

R388, the head of our administrative division sends out emails and memos with grocer's apostrophes and I shake my head in bewilderment that the person in charge of the secretaries and admin clerks can't even punctuate properly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389December 11, 2020 8:12 PM

Marry me, R388!

by Anonymousreply 390December 11, 2020 9:11 PM

[quote]There are these young women at work that pronounce Button "buh-EN" and Martin "Mut-EN"

Almost annoying as people who /hammer/ the "t"

But (pause) Ton or mit (pause) Tin.

put on your mit-uh-TTTTins.

Jesus fuck that's annoying.

by Anonymousreply 391December 12, 2020 12:38 AM

[quote]applesauce for oil

The frauiest substitution on record.

by Anonymousreply 392December 12, 2020 12:40 AM

When a cashier hands you bills and then puts the change on top of the bills, in your outstretched hand. Instead of handing you your bills, then handing you the change, when you have put the bills away (handing you your bills and change separately). Because bills go in your wallet, and change goes in your pocket.

You can't balance the change, you have to pick it off the bills, or you have to try to pocket it all. People never used to do this but now they seem to do it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 393December 12, 2020 4:41 AM

Pre-pandemic. Starting on Thursday...co-workers asking “Got anything exciting planned for the weekend?” And again on Monday, co-workers asking, “Do anything exciting this weekend?” I know this is just harmless small talk, the questions are meaningless, it’s just one human to another trying to make a connection. It’s well intended, but it drives me bonkers.

by Anonymousreply 394December 12, 2020 4:46 AM

R375 This drives me crazy too! I always think the comments section is for people to say how the dish turned out when they used the recipe. But it's always, "I didn't have potatoes, so I used sweet potatoes, and I don't like beef gravy so I substituted chicken gravy, and I had some whale blubber left over so I used it instead of butter. Hubby and the kids loved it, asked for seconds." Like, shut the fuck up, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 395December 12, 2020 4:49 AM

R394. omg, that reminds me how I'm actually kind of glad COVID killed that question lol. For now.

by Anonymousreply 396December 12, 2020 2:20 PM

Drag and drag queens. More power to them but when I see a guy in drag, it kills any attraction I have for them.

by Anonymousreply 397December 12, 2020 2:22 PM

R397 yes not hot and a boner killer. I live in a small Midwestern city where the local gay nightlife is dominated by drag culture. It is so exhausting!

by Anonymousreply 398December 12, 2020 2:27 PM

R398, agreed! It's a huge boner killer.

by Anonymousreply 399December 12, 2020 2:38 PM

This is supposed to be about "meaningless things" that annoy you.

by Anonymousreply 400December 12, 2020 6:11 PM

Everyone bitching about how their change is handed back might need to get with it and use some sort of Tap Pay. At least use a Card. Cash is filthy and should be eliminated. It's 2021.

by Anonymousreply 401December 12, 2020 7:23 PM

At my age, I have to pay to tap.

Thank god for escorts.

by Anonymousreply 402December 12, 2020 7:56 PM

R401 Oh right, it's not the fault of the people who can't give back change. It's the fault of the people paying with money. Stfu, okay? If a store is going to accept money then they should know how to make change. It's someone's right to use money to pay for things, as long as the government is printing it.

by Anonymousreply 403December 12, 2020 8:05 PM

I still use cash for purchases under $20. I prefer Japan's currency. All the bills (banknotes) are different sizes. The 10,000 yen (~ $100 bill) bill is the largest in size. The coins go up to 500 yen (~ $5). The money there also doesn't get as dirty and crumpled like in the U.S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404December 12, 2020 8:10 PM

My apologies if this was already mentioned, but the word "pivot." Ever since the pandemic began, everyone has been pivoting their businesses, approaches and plans. I wish the would all pivot off the face of the earth. Fuck them and their business jargon.

by Anonymousreply 405December 12, 2020 8:11 PM

My history instructor at college had this habit of putting the accent on the first syllable (?) of any word that started with "con". Conflict became "CONflict", consideration became CONsideration. When he talked about the Articles of CONfederation, we'd all do the collective roll-eye. I don't know what his problem was. At our holiday party, one of the older women students was tempted to ask him after two glasses of spiked punch, but we talked her out of it. I'm sure that he was gay as well.

by Anonymousreply 406December 12, 2020 8:15 PM

Non-black people who talk "hood".

by Anonymousreply 407December 12, 2020 8:23 PM

[quote] Conflict became "CONflict"

Isn't that how you pronounce conflict (as a noun)? "Conflicted" is con-FLICT-ed, yes.

by Anonymousreply 408December 12, 2020 8:41 PM

R407 Is that like "jive"?

by Anonymousreply 409December 12, 2020 9:10 PM

"I speak jive"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410December 12, 2020 9:10 PM

R405 needs to lead an "organic scrum" about pivoting.

by Anonymousreply 411December 12, 2020 11:33 PM

That sounds nasty.

by Anonymousreply 412December 12, 2020 11:41 PM

"I got up at 5 AM in the morning."

"My job starts at 10 AM in the morning."

FUCK! What's with this redundant clarification?! I understand you if you say "5 AM." I understand you even more if you say "5 in the morning." Why are you saying __ AM in the morning? I've noticed this more and more this year. I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 413December 12, 2020 11:44 PM

[quote] "I got up at 5 AM in the morning."

I always respond, “Geez. Good thing it wasn’t 5 AM at night!”

by Anonymousreply 414December 12, 2020 11:46 PM

That's fair to say R408, but his pronunciation was quite exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 415December 13, 2020 12:18 AM

R393: Today's cashiers are yesteryears' crack babies. Crack babies with jobs.

by Anonymousreply 416December 13, 2020 12:19 AM

John F. Kennedy signed off his letters with "Best", at least when he was younger. I guess this was considered "trendy" at Choate and Harvard.

by Anonymousreply 417December 13, 2020 12:48 AM

R416 Usually they're just people who should have been trained better for the job. Not really their fault.

by Anonymousreply 418December 13, 2020 1:07 PM

My old aunt used to sign cars "Best." It's not a new thing.

by Anonymousreply 419December 13, 2020 1:09 PM

She didn't actually sign cars. If only she sent cars instead of cards.

by Anonymousreply 420December 13, 2020 1:10 PM

Inane expressions like

“I can’t.”

“Let that sink in.”

“Full stop.”

by Anonymousreply 421December 13, 2020 1:23 PM

R421. Wow. Just wow.

by Anonymousreply 422December 13, 2020 1:43 PM

[quote] When a cashier hands you bills and then puts the change on top of the bills, in your outstretched hand. Instead of handing you your bills, then handing you the change, when you have put the bills away (handing you your bills and change separately). Because bills go in your wallet, and change goes in your pocket.

They used to put change on the counter and push it towards you. Then you either picked it up coin by coin or swept it into one hand by the other hand. They stopped doing this in NY specifically because black people thought it was offensive. Neighborhoods were very segregated back then & black people went to little bodegas & small markets. I remember moving to the East 90s & being surprised there were no blacks people in my neighborhood shopping or working in stores. Harlem was just s few blocks away. But black people didn’t like to come into our neighborhood because shipowners watched them like hawks, especially Koreans & Chinese.

When more black people finally felt safe enough to come into our neighborhood to shop, chain stores were taking over NY.C — Rite Aid, CVS, Duane Reade — and they felt the cashiers shoving change across the counter was rude & that white people did it because they didn’t want to chance touching a black person’s skin by putting change in their hand. . You should’ve seen the look on cashiers faces when they started getting yelled at for doing what they’d been doing for years. It had been SOP for decades to count change, slap it on the counter & shove it towards the customer.

This became a thing. It was even in newspapers.

So chain stores started a standard store policy to hand a customer bills and put the change on top of the bills, along with the receipt. Credit/debit cards make it so much easier to avoid all that & just rip the receipt out yourself

by Anonymousreply 423December 13, 2020 2:25 PM

[quote] Why are you obsessed with China...So weird.

Why are you so complacent about it? So dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 424December 13, 2020 3:10 PM

R423 Putting change on the counter sounds more annoying than coins on top of bills.

by Anonymousreply 425December 13, 2020 3:15 PM

In Japan, the procedure for giving change back to the customer is almost an art form.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426December 13, 2020 3:22 PM

[quote] I'm tired of 'may her memory be a blessing'.

This is a very time-honored Jewish expression and it contains a lot more genuine positive sentiment than "I'm sorry for your loss", which sounds so rote.

by Anonymousreply 427December 13, 2020 3:23 PM

[quote] The guys who have to use the urinal or bathroom stall right next to you when there are up to 10 available.

Well, just check out what they've got, too.

by Anonymousreply 428December 13, 2020 3:38 PM

R302 Can't it be seen as comforting to those less visibly fortunate? So as to say, "My life may appear to be perfect, but it is not".

Envy is soul-destroying and not attractive.

by Anonymousreply 429December 13, 2020 4:38 PM

[quote] People who refer to women as “females”. It’s so damn trashy.

See, it is an effective put-down.

by Anonymousreply 430December 13, 2020 4:44 PM

R423 That's very interesting! I didn't know that. Maybe that was a thing in New York. What I'm talking about is the fact that in a small store or a supermarket (where I'm from - New England) you used to

Anyhow, now, a cash register indicates the exact change, and the cashier will sometimes just hand it to you bills first, then coins on top. It's very awkward. What are you supposed to do? Crush it into a ball and put it in your pocket? It's very easy to drop it.

by Anonymousreply 431December 13, 2020 4:47 PM

*you used to get the change first, in your hand, then the bills. The reason for this might have been that with old cash registers, the cashier only rang up a total, and had to make change in their head. So they'd naturally give you the coins first, as they counted them, and they'd get them out of their hand. Then they could count out the bills. Last, they gave you the receipt.

by Anonymousreply 432December 13, 2020 4:50 PM

[quote] People who use the adjective good in place of the adverb well.

Insistence on using "well" sounds elitist and pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 433December 13, 2020 4:50 PM

[quote] I live in a small Midwestern city where the local gay nightlife is dominated by drag culture.

Unbelievably, drag is still a presence in DC gay nightlife. How uncharmingly retro.

by Anonymousreply 434December 13, 2020 5:18 PM

[quote] Cash is filthy and should be eliminated.

Fuck you. I don't want to use a "card" or that little plastic box with circuits for every purchase I make.

by Anonymousreply 435December 13, 2020 5:27 PM

R360 Then pay for 2 seats. That's why it's called "public" transportation.

by Anonymousreply 436December 13, 2020 5:29 PM

[quote] Cash is filthy and should be eliminated.

Why is something that literally everyone before you has to touch any cleaner than cash?

by Anonymousreply 437December 13, 2020 5:30 PM

When every celebrity's death is depicted as a shocking tragedy. Yes, I am completely shocked that Amy Winehouse, a notorious drug addict, died early. I never would have guessed!

by Anonymousreply 438December 13, 2020 6:32 PM

Warm toilet seats at work. For me it means that someone has just sat on it and I'm getting their cooties. I touch it and if it's warm, I'll lift the seat and sit on the cold porcelain.

by Anonymousreply 439December 13, 2020 6:38 PM

Ewww.

Can’t you just use another toilet?

by Anonymousreply 440December 13, 2020 6:43 PM

[quotes] [R423] Putting change on the counter sounds more annoying than coins on top of bills

Yup, that’s the way they used to do it. Count out change from register, put it in the palm of their hand, then slap their hand with the change in it onto the counter & shove it toward you. There was kind of an art to it. People would try to do it all in one fast movement with one hand. I can still hear the way change sounded when it hit the counter - the sound of pennies, nickels and dimes were different from each other. Without looking, you could tell if you were only getting a few pennies & no other coins because of the sound pennies made.

by Anonymousreply 441December 13, 2020 6:47 PM

[quotes] [R423] Putting change on the counter sounds more annoying than coins on top of bills

Yup, that’s the way they used to do it. Count out change from register, put it in the palm of their hand, then slap their hand with the change in it onto the counter & shove it toward you. There was kind of an art to it. People would try to do it all in one fast movement with one hand. I can still hear the way change sounded when it hit the counter - the sound of pennies, nickels and dimes were different from each other. Without looking, you could tell if you were only getting a few pennies & no other coins because of the sound pennies made.

by Anonymousreply 442December 13, 2020 6:47 PM

I think putting the coins on the counter started with AIDS. Cashiers didn’t want to touch customers hands. So funny — AIDS made people PANIC about even touching someone. I worked in hospitals before AIDS and food was served on plates & real cups & metal cutlery were use. A metal cover was put over the food. Bedpans, urinals, emesis basins & washbasins were all made out of metal & were disinfected & reused. A lot of jobs were lost when AIDS came along because everyone switched over to disposable everything. We used to have lots of people in dietary who pushed food iff plates & made sure cups & cutlery were saved, rinsed & washed (by hand in our little community hospital - no lie. My cousin used to do that in HS). Then there was the disinfecting areas where metal bedside supplies were put & rinsed, called the dirty utility room, and people from housekeeping picked it up and took it to be disinfected. Then they’d wrap and return it.

When AIDS came around, all of that stopped because people were terrified they’d catch it. Healthcare costs went up billion$ after hospital supplies became 100% disposable.

And we can’t get the same people to wear a fucking paper mask nowadays. Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 443December 13, 2020 7:00 PM

R440, sometimes. But where I work, a military base, the squids are always goofing off and slacking by hogging up the stalls to text their loved ones on their phones. The stalls are seldom empty. I'm a civilian employee, a GS-8, so I have to use the enlisted restrooms. The officers' restrooms are nicer, but off limits, except on the weekends. It's an unwritten rule. But officers can leave warm, grody toilet seats too.

by Anonymousreply 444December 14, 2020 12:22 AM

[quote] Warm toilet seats at work

You'd have a problem in Japan. They have those fancy toilet seats that warm up. I had a friend who went to Tokyo for a year on business and when I asked him about what things gave him culture shock, one of them was that. Because he lived alone, sitting down on a warm toilet seat freaked him out. I guess his butt was anticipating a cool one.

by Anonymousreply 445December 14, 2020 10:16 PM

When people write "trooper" for someone in show business who works hard and so forth. "She was a real trooper." It's supposed to be trouper. Referring I guess to a theatrical troupe.

Also when people write about someone playing a "roll" in a show when it's a role.

by Anonymousreply 446December 19, 2020 11:04 PM

When a couples take a first sip of their Champaign and do that arm lock things. It's so corny, unnecessary, and unnatural. I want to gag when I see that at a wedding or on TV during "romantic" moments.

by Anonymousreply 447December 21, 2020 5:44 AM

R447 and the wedding cake smearing too. All frau and hetero traditions in general and cringey.

by Anonymousreply 448December 21, 2020 6:06 AM

When parents can't handle people criticizing their child. Listen, your child isn't special and they aren't even cute..

by Anonymousreply 449December 21, 2020 6:34 AM

R447 When people misspell "champagne", even when it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 450December 22, 2020 9:02 AM

Even when it isn't what?

by Anonymousreply 451December 24, 2020 6:21 AM

People who sit around in socks, in real life or in television and movies, and then continuously wiggle their nasty toes. Relatedly, when you can see the dirty foot outline on the bottom of someone's socks. Either clean your damn floor or buy dark socks.

by Anonymousreply 452December 24, 2020 6:58 AM

The way so many people refer to musicians albums as being an "era". The six months Madonna dressed as a 1930s bombshell in 1990 is not an "era".

by Anonymousreply 453December 24, 2020 7:44 AM

R453, agreed, this is a recent thing. I don't remember anyone ever using the term era like that until like 5 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 454December 24, 2020 4:38 PM

Janbot. Meaningless AND annoying.

by Anonymousreply 455December 24, 2020 4:39 PM

I'll go back to OP's "email protocol" annoyance. I hate it--especially in the context of work--that someone merely forwards an email from someone else with the word "thoughts?"

I always want to write back: "Here's a thought. Analyze the original sender's email, develop a cogent recommendation, and send it to me with a clear statement about what you are looking for from me. Approval? Concerns?"

"Thoughts?" (without more) always makes me feel like the sender is just dumping this crap on me.

by Anonymousreply 456December 24, 2020 4:50 PM

All the discussion on DL on how "hot" Chris Evans is. I just don't see it.

by Anonymousreply 457December 24, 2020 5:16 PM

People who sign off with just their first initial.

by Anonymousreply 458December 24, 2020 5:23 PM

"Guidance" instead of actual instructions

by Anonymousreply 459December 24, 2020 5:29 PM

r453 with the speed at which the world is movie due to the internet, I don't mind the era stuff. Madonna really reinvented herself every album, so it was an era based on her career. But this is supposed to be about personal opinions.

I don't like albums that lack at least on decent ballad. I'd like to hear some of the artist's range.

by Anonymousreply 460December 25, 2020 2:03 AM

When people use the term "dated" to criticize art from the past, well, no shit something that came out 50 years ago is "dated"! Who woulda thunk!

by Anonymousreply 461December 25, 2020 4:01 AM

Servers and people in retail who say "No Problem," when you've said "Thank you. There's only one reply "You're Welcome" and don't tell us what it means in Spanish or French, bitches, we're in America,

by Anonymousreply 462December 25, 2020 8:34 PM

Someone once told me that "no problem" is another way of saying "fuck you". Is it?

by Anonymousreply 463December 25, 2020 11:42 PM

People that have a problem with "no problem".

by Anonymousreply 464December 26, 2020 12:49 AM

When English people say "with all due respect". And when southern people say "bless your heart". Fuck you guys too!

by Anonymousreply 465December 26, 2020 12:53 AM

The pro and anti Harry and Meghan threads. Both sides are insufferable. In the end, it’s meaningless but I have to keep away from them. I can’t even lurk there.

by Anonymousreply 466December 28, 2020 5:32 PM

r466 yes that is the worst and I have to say that I've never seen a woman rile up some parts of DL like Meghan. I'm still loss for words regarding her great crime against the UK. Simply madness.

by Anonymousreply 467December 28, 2020 9:07 PM

R456 My boss does this but I know it’s code for “this seems batshit crazy to me, do you agree?” It’s mostly an email from someone in other department that has come up with what they think is a creative way to dump a bunch of extra work on us.

by Anonymousreply 468December 29, 2020 1:25 AM

[quote] When people misspell "champagne", even when it isn't.

[quote]Even when it isn't what?

I think he means even when it isn’t champagne. Champagne is a drink that comes from a specific region. Many people refer to sparkling wine, regardless of its origins, as champagne but it’s not.

by Anonymousreply 469December 30, 2020 12:16 PM

I automatically stop reading any online post that starts with “Y’all”

by Anonymousreply 470December 30, 2020 1:18 PM

I automatically stop reading any online post that starts with “Y’all”

by Anonymousreply 471December 30, 2020 1:18 PM

People who say "seen" instead of "saw." I'm noticing more people saying "I seen..." instead of "I saw..." lately. It's concerning, to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 472December 31, 2020 11:32 PM

What do you think about guys who have about 20 or 30 extra pounds?

by Anonymousreply 473January 1, 2021 12:10 AM

"We need to talk about....". No, we don't need to talk about anything, shove it up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 474January 1, 2021 12:53 AM

"Here's the kicker" or "here's the rub."

Why does everything come with a preamble when whatever should speak for itself.

by Anonymousreply 475January 1, 2021 10:37 AM

The term "fur babies"

NO.

by Anonymousreply 476January 1, 2021 2:11 PM

The very first thread title I read in 2021 had the word "pussy" in it.

[quote]How did Jim Rockford get so much pussy?

by Anonymousreply 477January 1, 2021 3:20 PM

R475 the two variations on that: “that being said” or “here’s the thing” make me blind with rage.

by Anonymousreply 478January 1, 2021 5:43 PM

I can't stand those little 2" heels that women wear in theater or sometimes in pop shows. JLo, shown below, loves those things. I 100% know that they are trying to straddle sexiness with stability, but I just hate those shoes. There aren't many alternatives beyond a broken ankle so I'll be quiet in public but damn do I have an irrational hatred for those fucking ugly shoes. I don't care how you dress them up, It looks terrible from the side or back. You see them on all the women from Dancing With The Stars, ugh.

In general I hate small heels including kitten heels. Shit or get off the pot, as in ad some hit or put on flats. Rant over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479January 3, 2021 4:43 AM

^In general I hate small heels, including kitten heels. Shit or get off the pot, as in, add some height or put on flats. Rant over.

by Anonymousreply 480January 3, 2021 7:05 AM

R479, are you a man?

by Anonymousreply 481January 3, 2021 8:06 AM

r481 yes. I know it's not my business since I don't wear heels, but this thread did say meaningless things. Of course I keep these things to myself.

by Anonymousreply 482January 3, 2021 2:51 PM

gangs of gay clones.

by Anonymousreply 483January 3, 2021 4:58 PM

People who have no clue how apostrophes work in relation to decades. A decade is not a sentient being, therefore, no apostrophe + s is required. If one were to shorten a decade, then the apostrophe would replace the 1 and 9, or the 2 and 0.

Thus, the 1990s *should* become the '90s, *not* the 90's. (As 98% of the world types it.)

by Anonymousreply 484January 7, 2021 6:24 AM

[quote] In general I hate small heels including kitten heels. Shit or get off the pot, as in ad some hit or put on flats.

I agree. Kitten heels are pathetic, unless it's a very old woman with stability issues. I would prefer flats to kitten heels. Ugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485January 7, 2021 3:57 PM

I've been reaching out to a lot of guy friends and associates via social media due to the pandemic. Just chit-chat. I can't stand when I'm having a general conversation with another gay man about something platonic and they slip in the fact that they have a boyfriend. Not in a meaningful way to enhance the conversation, but in an obvious attempt to say, "Don't even think of hitting on me, I'm taken."

Bitch, I'm not about to hit on you. Just because I'm single doesn't mean I'm trying to catch every dick I talk to. We all know when the intent is to shut down flirtation. It's a bit insulting that two adults can't converse without someone trying to assume that this is going to lead to flirting.

Perhaps I'm not explaining this well enough but it happened yesterday and I just thought of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 486January 29, 2021 4:45 PM

You know what I really cannot stand (I am sure the Internet community was waiting to see what I, random Internet person really thought):

Women (and men) with long hair that they only part in the centre. I swear, it drives me crazy! (Is there really no other hairstyle for long hair, other than parting it the centre?) I swear, look at any woman on the news and I swear, they all have centre-part hairstyles, and it drives me crazy.)

by Anonymousreply 487January 29, 2021 6:18 PM

R487 I've never thought about it before, but how else should they part their hair? I'm intrigued at what the other options are, unless they do a different hairstyle.

by Anonymousreply 488January 29, 2021 6:50 PM

I think anything but a center part on a man would be very odd unless he is Metrosexual. I like the center part on women but I think if you go through the trouble of growing out your hair why not play with the style a bit?

by Anonymousreply 489January 29, 2021 7:24 PM

Women with smoker's voice.

by Anonymousreply 490January 29, 2021 7:26 PM

When law enforcement uses “gentlemen” when referencing perps.

by Anonymousreply 491January 29, 2021 7:27 PM

The dog dad/mom bullshit was bad enough, but the cat dad/mom stuff really annoys me. Cats are not loyal to anyone but themselves. Not even a cat's actual biological father gives a shit about the damn thing and would just as easily fight it in the streets. They are not children, stop trying to compensate.

by Anonymousreply 492January 29, 2021 7:30 PM

That reminds me, people who get more upset about FICTIONAL animals dying in movies than about, you know, the actual atrocities going on in the world bother me.

by Anonymousreply 493January 29, 2021 7:32 PM

Men who cum too quickly.

by Anonymousreply 494January 29, 2021 7:33 PM

1) People that use a joke about "needing a glass of wine" or generally treat wine like stress relief. It's so basic. 2) Guys with feet that are not well kempt or just ugly exposing them. 3) Social media

by Anonymousreply 495January 29, 2021 7:34 PM

[quote] Women (and men) with long hair that they only part in the centre. I swear, it drives me crazy! (Is there really no other hairstyle for long hair, other than parting it the centre?) I swear, look at any woman on the news and I swear, they all have centre-part hairstyles, and it drives me crazy.)

R487, I part my hair in the middle for a couple of reasons. One, the middle of my head (top part) is where my hair is the thickest. My hair is more sparse and thinning on the sides of my head. If I part my hair on the side, it looks almost like a bald spot.

Second reason, I have a round-ish face and the center part just looks appropriate with that.

by Anonymousreply 496January 29, 2021 7:40 PM

Just ran into something annoying: saying "diffuse" instead of "defuse." As in, "Let's defuse this situation."

by Anonymousreply 497January 29, 2021 7:40 PM

Vegans that try to spread the word on their dietary decisions as if it's a cult and I need to be converted. Bitch, spend more time making your fake food taste like the real stuff and less time trying to convert me to your diet, excuse me, lifestyle.

PETA - congrats almost everyone agrees that fur is murder. Why would people need to stop wearing their old mink coats? The animals already died, leaving it in a closet means they died in vain. They tried getting on the Queen for wearing her old furs. The animal is already dead, is she supposed to burry it?

by Anonymousreply 498January 29, 2021 7:46 PM

Stolen elections! 🤡

by Anonymousreply 499January 29, 2021 7:47 PM

[quote]is she supposed to burry it?

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 500January 29, 2021 7:49 PM

r497 I swear we were both on the same Cultural Senasativty: Unconscious Bias Workshop, half an hour ago when the word was misused. Cheers from a windy city.

by Anonymousreply 501January 29, 2021 7:50 PM

When I hear 'no problem' in response to my 'thank you,' I make eye contact and say sincerely, 'I didn't have a problem' or 'Did I cause a problem?'

by Anonymousreply 502January 29, 2021 8:35 PM

R502 is an asshole of misery.

by Anonymousreply 503January 29, 2021 9:50 PM

R484 - how interesting! And here I thought I was finally getting it right by writing the '90's!

by Anonymousreply 504January 29, 2021 10:23 PM

R496, no disrespect was intended. My only issue with women having centre part is because I've been seeing it nonstop since the Kardashians became popular. And I don't think it's becoming on all the women who have tried it.

Case in point: Sarah Jessica Parker. I thought she looked terrific in Season 5 of Sex and the City with the shorter 'do and parted on the side.

by Anonymousreply 505January 30, 2021 4:39 AM

Here's mine: assholes who don't realize that pluralized words do NOT require apostrophes. I swear, having to read some stupid fool's posting about "vaccine's available," in addition to "car's, truck's, church's, black's, etc." Fuck OFF!! These are things we learn in elementary school and yet, we have "car's, truck's, church's." What the everloving fuck?

by Anonymousreply 506February 18, 2021 7:14 AM

People who don't respond to a smile. It's not as noticeable now since we're all wearing masks...

by Anonymousreply 507February 18, 2021 8:20 AM

People who say, "I feel badly about that."

I wonder if they feel 'goodly' about other things?

by Anonymousreply 508February 18, 2021 9:08 AM

[quote] we have "car's, truck's, church's." What the everloving fuck?

This makes me insane too. Especially when it's on a sign. Someone had to 1) design it, 2) create it, 3) approve it, and 4) hang it, and yet nobody noticed it was wrong?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509February 18, 2021 12:38 PM

R507 I feel dumb smiling when I wear a mask, sue me, so I've stopped.

by Anonymousreply 510February 18, 2021 1:08 PM

r388 / r484 while an apostrophe in a decade is now verboten, it used to be common usage (I want to say pre-1980s, but maybe later). I've seen it in both popular and scholarly writing.

Perhaps the "1950's" crew are simply eldergays.

by Anonymousreply 511February 18, 2021 2:00 PM

[quote]Perhaps the "1950's" crew are simply eldergays.

Bullshit. This ancientgay doesn't remember anything but the '80s, the '90s, etc. being the correct contraction.

by Anonymousreply 512February 18, 2021 2:03 PM

The next time I find an example in a scholarly text, r512, I will point you to it r512

by Anonymousreply 513February 18, 2021 2:05 PM

Here you go, r512. (Didn't take long.)

Not the best image, as Google Books doesn't provide full text. But this is the first thing I could find.

From Edmund Spenser's Poetry: Authoritative Texts, Criticism (Norton, 1968)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514February 18, 2021 2:12 PM

A scholarly monograph from 1951 (University of California Press) used the apostrophe IN THE TITLE r512:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515February 18, 2021 2:17 PM

And yet, r514, Norton Publishing, which you are quoting, drops the apostrophe on their Wikipedia page.

[quote]W. W. Norton & Company is an American publishing company based in New York City. It has been owned wholly by its employees since the early [bold]1960s[/bold].

by Anonymousreply 516February 18, 2021 2:17 PM

I said they used the apostrophe IN THE PAST (specifically, pre-1980s, but I could be wrong).

Do keep up, r516

by Anonymousreply 517February 18, 2021 2:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!