Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rupert Everett - Why Madonna Terminated Our Friendship

Things reportedly came to a head in 2006 when Rupert published alleged, intimate details involving Madonna and Sean Penn in his memoir Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins, which she took exception to.

Madonna never forgave him.

'She really didn't like it (the book). I think it is very affectionate, and certainly with her I was very careful to only write things that were. But she felt it was an infringement of privacy,' he said.

'Goddesses like that are obsessed with their public image and want to control everything about it, so if anyone is to tell anyone anything about her it's got to be her.'

'Elephants don't forget... She doesn't trust me any more,' he went on to say.

'We don't see each other anymore. I do miss it.

'She's an amazing person and that part of my life was incredibly exciting. To be doing a film with her and to be a friend of hers and to have been such a fan of hers.'

by Anonymousreply 106October 21, 2020 1:00 AM

They're both idiots. The original screenplay for that film they made together was highly respected as it made its way through Hollywood. But then the two of them insisted on stupid changes--like Madonnas character being a yoga teacher (because she was into yoga during that "incarnation")--and the script quickly spun into retard territory. Not that either were capable of keeping an Oscar-qualty script on that level with their limited acting capacities.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2020 12:19 AM

Miss Rupert has some loose lips and it cost him his two highest profile faghags. Didn't he also have a falling out with Julia?

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2020 12:24 AM

Was it because she didn't like his star sign?

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2020 12:27 AM

Doubt this is why. Madge uses and then discards everyone who helps her. Utter sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2020 12:27 AM

Nobody was gonna buy his book even with the Madonna mention.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2020 12:32 AM

Madonna can't keep friends. And yet Rupert seems like someone she could stay friends with since they have lots in common - they're both shallow narcissists obsessed with their looks.

They should catch up and compare notes and go through each of their plastic surgeries which have turned them into hideous monsters.

I'm sure Rupert enjoyed their time. He got to sing on American Pie and be part of the Madonna fame since she was enjoying a rebirth after Ray of Light, although American Pie/Next Best Thing were the worst parts of her second imperial phase.

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2020 12:46 AM

Madonna worked with and has been friends with Debi Mazar for over three decades.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2020 12:59 AM

When did Rupert Everett turn into a scowly old geezer??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2020 1:05 AM

Who needs Vadge when you can hang out with a real actress like Angela Lansbury?

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2020 1:06 AM

Rupert’s a skank.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2020 1:21 AM

But he's our skank.

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2020 1:27 AM

[quote]Madonna can't keep friends.

Tell me about it!

Look at the way she discarded Rosie and Debi.

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2020 1:36 AM

Oh god. I bought one of his memoirs and it was so boring that i never finished it! A gay man's memoir should be salacious and dripping with scandal! Instead, his was just... well.... bland.

Not a fan. I want my 10 bucks back!

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2020 3:00 AM

Ha. You think those friendships are full-time? What a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2020 3:27 AM

R14 what is a full-time friend?

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2020 3:31 AM

They do seem like a good match for one another. Equally vacuous.

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2020 3:32 AM

Sociopaths know they need at least one friend or two to conceal their rottenness. Debi and Rosie know what’s up with those friendships.

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2020 3:08 PM

He actually wrote some really shitty things about her. I'd end the friendship too.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2020 3:12 PM

I don't remember him saying anything bad about her. He did say Sharon Stone was really nuts.

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2020 3:17 PM

Everett never met a bridge he couldn't burn, but I do take issue with the criticism of him at R1. Lack of acting talent has never been one of his many flaws.

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2020 3:17 PM

R19 he trashed and gave stories about Madonna and Julia in the same book I believe. I'm sure it was part of the book deal since he was close with both at the height of their fame and who really wants to read about his slutty, gossipy life without dishing about famous friends. If I remember correctly he said two were actually quite similar. Whatever that meant. Needless to say the both promptly dropped the backstabbing queen.

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2020 5:41 PM

R5 R13

I bought and really enjoyed Rupert's memoirs.

14 years ago, already.

Funny parts about Beatrice Dalle, Madonna, and Guy Richie, Julia Roberts, Bob Dylan, Catherine Deneuve and co.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2020 7:51 AM

[Quote] The original screenplay for that film they made together was highly respected as it made its way through Hollywood.

Where it eventually was offered to Madonna and Rupert Everett...

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2020 8:01 AM

Helen Hunt and Richard Dreyfuss were attached to the project at various points.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2020 8:09 AM

Remember renting "Cemetery Man" back when it was first released (1994) thinking Rupert Everett hot as fuck.

Where did all go wrong?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2020 8:24 AM

I will never forget the cycle of thoughts and emotions I experienced while watching The Next Best Thing on an airplane...this is the worst acting I have ever seen...is she supposed to be English because he’s English? Wait, is she American? Why is she talking like this? Wow, this script...this was meant to be a Lifetime TV movie, right? Oh, God, this script. Oh, God, this acting. This is bad enough that it should be fun. Is it supposed to be campy? No, it’s supposed to be serious. Madonna acts harder than anyone. It’s practically a physical assault. Did someone get paid to write this? Well, that was the very worst movie I have ever seen in my life. Oh, Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2020 9:18 AM

Get over it Rupert. She used me too and I use her as part of my comedy routine when I'm feeling really cuntie.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2020 9:26 AM

Richard Dreyfuss playing a gay man? I'm so fucking glad that didn't happen. He's the most unappealing actor in all ways.

As for old British fag actors like Everett, I much prefer those with talent like Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi. Also John Barrowman, who deserves a bigger career before he gets too old.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2020 9:30 AM

did Rupert fuck over both his faghags? Fun fact from his book he said both Madonna and Julia have a masculine energy in their way of being. I think he said I'd they smelled masculine. Regardless he's an asshole for telling stories he shouldn't be telling when you are hanging with A listers. It's common knowledge you don't talk about it especially when you are talking about the top musical act and actress in Hollwood.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2020 9:45 AM

The moral of the story? Loose lips sink ships...

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2020 9:46 AM

Richard Dreyfuss played quite a prissy gay man in Poseidon R28.

by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2020 9:47 AM

Rupert was running around after them, not the other way around...

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2020 9:50 AM

Rupert didn't know how to behave with AListers. To his own detriment.

by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2020 10:37 AM

Was it intended for Dreyfus and Marsha Mason?

by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2020 10:40 AM

He made a judgment call to exploit his relationship to sell books, that’s all. I’m sure his publisher demanded it and that his book deal was contingent upon some level of Madonna exposé for promotional purposes. So he sold her out to make a little money. Nothing she wouldn’t do, but some people who are not expert con artists still suffer consequences for their betrayals in this world.

by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2020 11:04 AM

Does Rupert enjoy the party lifestyle? Madonna has never been about that. It was bound to end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2020 11:07 AM

Madonna never drinks. The cocktails and wine glasses in every Instagram photo (unfiltered! No makeup!!) she posts are all props—and that’s the only thing about her that isn’t 100 percent authentic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 18, 2020 11:10 AM

Well, she was eatin' good in Portugal.

by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2020 11:12 AM

Didn't Portugal declare the day she left Lisbon a national holiday?

by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2020 11:14 AM

[quote]Rupert has some loose lips

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2020 11:23 AM

They’re all sociopaths

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2020 11:30 AM

Fun fact- Debi and Madonna are no longer friends

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2020 11:43 AM

I never thought he was attractive. When he was younger, he looked like evil Ash from Evil Dear 2 with his disproportionate head and chin.

Now he looks like an old, haggard piss artist.

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2020 11:44 AM

Dead*

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2020 11:45 AM

[Quote] Fun fact- Debi and Madonna are no longer friends

What precipitated the event?

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2020 11:52 AM

His body of work is not great but his body got him a lot of work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2020 12:42 PM

Just wait until that rancid cunt Janbot arrives to shit all over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2020 12:48 PM

Debi had the Covid. She also has good fillers/nip tucks done. Or the really tight hairstyle is lifting everything up:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2020 12:53 PM

He appears to be circumcised in the photo at r46. Unusual for an Englishman, innit?

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2020 1:01 PM

No idea what the original problem was, but calling her an elephant won't have helped.

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2020 1:05 PM

Modest meat.

by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2020 1:16 PM

I think Debi and Madonna are still friends though Debi did call her out for a tone deaf statement she made about COVID. Debi has a great Instagram BTW. She looks so much better than Madonna, whatever work she has had done is excellent.

I remember reading Rupert's book, thought it was boring and I don't recall anything too salacious about Madonna. I remember someone calling her weird little friend, it was his agent or another woman in his life.

by Anonymousreply 52October 18, 2020 1:18 PM

[quote] She looks so much better than Madonna

She's six years younger than Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2020 1:43 PM

Bitter cunts gotta bitter cunt.

by Anonymousreply 54October 18, 2020 1:52 PM

"but I do take issue with the criticism of him at [R1]. Lack of acting talent has never been one of his many flaws."

Have you seen this movie? The ham is overacting and is named Rupert Everett.

by Anonymousreply 55October 18, 2020 2:01 PM

[quote]Richard Dreyfuss playing a gay man? He's the most unappealing actor in all ways.

That would be Paul Giamatti

by Anonymousreply 56October 18, 2020 2:22 PM

who would want to be friends with either of those twunts!

by Anonymousreply 57October 18, 2020 2:28 PM

Everyone used Madonna’s superstardom for their own benefits. Madge is a huge cunt and certainly could smell any of that miles away

by Anonymousreply 58October 18, 2020 2:29 PM

Madonna blamed the director John Schlesinger for not being able to act on The Next Best Thing.

John said it was the worst experience he had directing a movie, because Madonna would get insulted and run off to her trailer when he tried to give her advice on how to play a scene. And Rupert would stick up for her regardless of whether she was right or wrong. He basically destroyed his own career by being Madonna's faghag.

by Anonymousreply 59October 18, 2020 2:42 PM

I don't see how whether the character being a swim teacher or a yoga instructor really could sink or make a success of a poorly written film.

And what were Illeana Douglas, Lynn Redgrave, Michael Vartan and Fran Bennett doing being in that turd?

by Anonymousreply 60October 18, 2020 2:49 PM

Debi said they were still friends back in May but I don't think we've heard anything since then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 18, 2020 2:50 PM

R59 that sounds right. John was an esteemed Oscar winning director who knew how to get the best out of actors, and Madonna was so far up her own ass, she thought she could do no wrong. She got the movie career she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 62October 18, 2020 4:10 PM

Madonna’s need to look like a completely different person every other year is... insanity. Mental illness. Not “reinvention.”

You change your style, not your face.

by Anonymousreply 63October 18, 2020 5:22 PM

Madonna has become Lon Chaney.

by Anonymousreply 64October 18, 2020 5:25 PM

I don't think Madonna is capable of any lasting relationship and I don't think she likes other women very much. She is deeply flawed. Does she even speak to her family anymore?

by Anonymousreply 65October 18, 2020 5:32 PM

With Joe Henry's cancer diagnosis, I expect she's been able to tamp down her narcissism in order to be kind to her sister.

by Anonymousreply 66October 18, 2020 7:47 PM

Imagine questioning the notes of John Schlesinger for your acting? Um, who do you think has more experience and insight, Madonna?

The change to yoga instructor was just complete narcissism and laziness on Madonna's part. Everyone knew she was into yoga at the time so there was no stretch. I've always wondered if Madonna dropped out of Music of the Heart because she knew nobody would believe her as a teacher.

by Anonymousreply 67October 18, 2020 7:52 PM

I don't think it's pure laziness or arrogance. Madonna has tremendous anxiety. One of her impersonators analyzed her vocal inflections and the way Madonna speaks gives it away. She's a dreadful actress outside a very small range (Susan and League, basically).

by Anonymousreply 68October 18, 2020 7:58 PM

I think it was working with Madge that killed Schlesinger: he had a heart bypass shortly before the filming started and a major stroke a few months after the premiere, probably brought on by the stress of working on this project and the bad reviews .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 18, 2020 9:13 PM

Julia actually tried to be kind to Madonna at the premiere. She went over to Madonna and introduced herself, and Madonna glared at her saying "I know who you are" and walked away.

by Anonymousreply 70October 18, 2020 9:21 PM

Julia should have responded, "Yes, I'm the one you're trying--and failing--to be."

by Anonymousreply 71October 18, 2020 9:31 PM

I love Rupert’s books. His novel about his rent-boy days is a scream.

by Anonymousreply 72October 19, 2020 3:59 AM

This is fun from that era. Madonna takes Rupert to all her haunts, old apartments, and this is also where we start really seeing the British accent take on a life of its own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 19, 2020 4:49 AM

I remember that. Doesn't someone in a deli try to sell her old nude pics of herself?

by Anonymousreply 74October 19, 2020 4:52 AM

I only heard it recently when I was in Spain, but Madonna had a beautiful single from The Next Best Thing called Time Stood Still. I don't know if it got an play in the US.

by Anonymousreply 75October 19, 2020 4:58 AM

You say "no" to Madonna or piss her off just once and she cuts you out of her life permanently. Her kids, Rosie and Debi being the rare exceptions. Being close to her must be like walking on thin ice covered in eggshells while wearing a pair of stilettos with bells attached. No wonder she goes through personal assistants like underwear.

by Anonymousreply 76October 19, 2020 5:08 AM

R75 totally agree, one of her best ballads

by Anonymousreply 77October 19, 2020 5:12 AM

Debi M is gorgeous and is aging the way Madonna wishes she aged. It's those Eastern European genes.

by Anonymousreply 78October 19, 2020 5:18 AM

Debi M was always kind of a downtown punk. I love her style and she's aged well. She was always a women with some curves and seemed very separate from Madonna. She always seemed like she didn't give a fuck about Madonna's fame. Even if it's an act, she's good at it but I think she is real. She was so hot as this lesbian dominatrix in Gregg Araki's "Nowhere".

by Anonymousreply 79October 19, 2020 5:30 AM

R78 Aren't Eastern Europeans usually associated with aging POORLY? But Debi's dad was a Latvian Jew and Jews tend to age more gracefully than their Balto-Slavic compatriots.

by Anonymousreply 80October 19, 2020 5:45 AM

What intimate details could he have known? Sean and Madonna broke-up in Jan. '89.

It must have been stuff she told him, so if you don't want people talking- don't tell them anything.

But methinks she wanted to shed him in 2006 because his star had faded and he was getting older. She just needed an excuse.

She always wants people younger than herself around to make her look younger. We're talking about a woman in her sixties who constantly posts airbrushed pics of herself, the latest one of her with pink hair.

by Anonymousreply 81October 19, 2020 6:57 AM

Debi has always been a third-rate Fran Drescher.

by Anonymousreply 82October 19, 2020 2:05 PM

Interesting. I always just assumed Debi Mazar is Italian but her father is Latvian and Jewish and her mother is Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 83October 19, 2020 2:57 PM

Watching the VH1 special @ R73, I miss [italic]that[/italic] Madonna.

[italic]She[/italic] would have been horrified at the antics of "Madame X".

by Anonymousreply 84October 19, 2020 3:05 PM

And normal person who is notable and writes a book knows that it's very poor form to write trash about your current friends and you country. Family maybe, but I think that's poor form, too. II mean maybe you say something in a private dinner but to write it out and have it printed? Stupid. His bff who dumped him were justified.

by Anonymousreply 85October 19, 2020 4:19 PM

He is such a piece of shit. He bites the hand that threw him a lifeline and saved his Wilde movie. Who would want to work with this guy? He is pretty funny though, I give him that (although his German-accent jokes are bit tired).

by Anonymousreply 86October 19, 2020 4:22 PM

"She would have been horrified at the antics of "Madame X"."

Madame X is no more. I am now Champagne Rose. Or Champagne Pink. I am now someone else with pink hair. I am performance art. I am an artiste.

by Anonymousreply 87October 19, 2020 5:31 PM

If you watch the special she states that she can't imagine herself performing on stage at age 50. 50! Yet at 60 she was doing Madame X.

But can you blame her? At 50 she was doing Sticky & Sweet which was her top grossing tour as well as the top grossing female act of all time.

by Anonymousreply 88October 19, 2020 5:45 PM

Was that the tour that opened with "Sexagenarian Gone Wild"?

(She thought sexagenarian was something dirty.)

by Anonymousreply 89October 20, 2020 12:36 AM

Her latest incarnation as "Champagne Pink" made me do something unthinkable - it made me nostalgic for Madame X era! That's the only thing Madge excels at these days, at outlaming her own self.

by Anonymousreply 90October 20, 2020 12:42 AM

Pre-buy tickets to my biopic! There'll be lotsa pink!

by Anonymousreply 91October 20, 2020 12:52 AM

Not that she cares, but the Madge of today is coloring my enjoyment of her past songs when her albums were solid. Right now her whole instagram shtick is just turning me off and I find myself skipping over her songs on my playlists. She went from someone I would have killed to hang out with for a night, Rupert's Madonna and younger, to someone who is insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 92October 20, 2020 12:57 AM

Personally, I think the pink hair has made her less obnoxious in a LONG time. I think she looks good. I hope she keeps it up but I doubt she will.

I'm sure she's at the plastic surgeon getting another injection.

by Anonymousreply 93October 20, 2020 1:18 AM

The hair is cute, and much better than her pink wig circa Like a Virgin.

by Anonymousreply 94October 20, 2020 1:20 AM

Get your own thread, Madge!

by Anonymousreply 95October 20, 2020 1:29 AM

Bitch trying to steal my act!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 20, 2020 1:30 AM

Clearly she no longer has any friends whatsoever. They either left her crazy narcissistic ass or she dumped them when she no longer had any use for them. I bet she pays the help extra just to listen to her talk about how great she is. She hasn't been relevant in over 20 years and her Instagram posts are just cringeworthy. Just bow out bitch and enjoy your millions. Nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 97October 20, 2020 1:37 AM

I think people should stop dying their hair ridiculous right around 59 y.o.a. if they didn't already stop at 25. It looks dumb.

by Anonymousreply 98October 20, 2020 1:52 AM

She looks worse now than the freak Plastic surgeon who killed himself for being made fun of.

by Anonymousreply 99October 20, 2020 2:02 AM

I read his book too. It wasn't terrible. He was clever. I remember him saying how a nasty review of one of his movies turned his pubic hair white overnight.

by Anonymousreply 100October 20, 2020 2:25 AM

I remember (a long time ago) seeing him hanging out at the Sombrero Club in London. He was really handsome. I think being honest about his rent boy past harmed his chances in showbiz. Now he's just another bitter has been/never was.

by Anonymousreply 101October 20, 2020 2:27 AM

I read the book as well. It was an easy, breezy read. I didn't pay for it so that may have influenced my experience.

by Anonymousreply 102October 20, 2020 2:34 AM

Wasn't Rupert from a Sloaney family, like aristocratic adj. maybe? Not that rich kids can't be rent boys (I never heard that rumor), but I thought Rupert was from old family money.

by Anonymousreply 103October 20, 2020 5:21 AM

Yes, his family was posh but he still says he worked as a rent boy. I see no reason to doubt him, it couldn't have helped his career to say so!

by Anonymousreply 104October 20, 2020 9:16 PM

He was probably doing a lot of drugs and didn't want to arouse his family's attention.

by Anonymousreply 105October 21, 2020 12:35 AM

Posh doesn't necessarily mean loaded.

by Anonymousreply 106October 21, 2020 1:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!