Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Helen Lawson's Infamous What's My Line Appearance

I've only read about it over the years. It doesn't seem to be on YouTube. What did she do that resulted in her being banned from returning to the show?

by Anonymousreply 54July 24, 2021 4:08 AM

I'd never heard that she was banned. Where'd you get that info?

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2020 3:05 PM

I think it was when John Charles Daly asked her to sign in, and she wrote "Fuck You, Cunt" on the chalkboard.

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2020 3:06 PM

She refused to disguise her voice, saying it was "beneath her". Yet, no panel member recognized her voice. Even Arlene Francis, who was supposedly a close friend.

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2020 3:24 PM

She stormed out when they took off their masks and still didn't recognize her. She hummed a few bars of "I'll Plant My Own Tree". Still nothing.

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2020 3:41 PM

What got her banned was what she did when she was leaving the stage. She got to Arlene and lifted her dress. She e then shot a golf ball out off her cooter than hit Arlene right between the eyes. Arlene hit the ground and was said to never be the same. It was a tribute to Brandon De Wilde who had done the same thing to her years earlier by shooting a marble out of his ass.

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2020 3:42 PM

I thought it was rather how she aggressively came on to John Daly right in front of the studio audience (albeit in moments that were cut from the commercial broadcast). Alcohol was said to be involved. The issue apparently wasn't with the blatant sexuality itself, but rather with how it gave her identity away so that Bennett Cerf guessed who she was even before she'd answered anyone's questions.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2020 3:50 PM

A hot mike picked up the word "fruit" in response to a question from Bennett Perf. She meant to say "no."

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2020 4:46 PM

Was this appearance before or after her Christmas Special?

by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2020 4:47 PM

Did Ralph Edwards ever do a "This Is Your Life" on Helen?

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2020 6:26 PM

I heard she got drunk in her dressing room and befouled the toilet. Then she kicked Dorothy Kilgallen in the cunt bone.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2020 2:34 PM

Dumb thread. Really dumb...

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2020 2:51 PM

Oh, that's just our Helen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2020 12:50 AM

When asked if she performed in the "legitimate theater," she said:

Bitch, I'm a barracuda!

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2020 12:54 AM

What year was it?

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2020 12:54 AM

“Goodbye, pussycat. Meowww.”

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2020 12:56 AM

Wasn't she also banned from hosting SNL after a disastrous appearance in1977?

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2020 12:57 AM

R16, was she still alive then?

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2020 1:01 AM

The story is her appearance on Celebrity Wheel of Fortune was so filthy the tape was kept under lock and key until it was buried with Merv Griffin.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2020 1:02 AM

“Merv Griffin was NOT A FAG...”

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2020 1:08 AM

She nearly shanked Phyllis Newman when she incorrectly guessed Ethel Merman.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2020 1:12 AM

Helen was on a Goodson-Todman bender while in NYC that month.

The week after her embarrassing WML? appearance, she was a guest panelist on To Tell the Truth.

All hell broke loose when Helen and Kitty Carlisle arrived at the studio wearing the same Mollie Parnis gown. Neither would agree to change to an alternate dress, despite Bud Collyer's pleas.

They both made light of the situation during the "live" broadcast, but a physical altercation took place backstage afterwards when Helen made a few insulting remarks about Kitty's marriage and Moss Hart's sexuality.

Both were injured in the fracas and required medical attention, but amazingly the incident never made the columns, though Kilgallen printed it as a blind item several days later.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2020 1:12 AM

R17 I could be mistaken, but I swear I read that she stubbed out a cigarette on Lorne Michaels after he forced her to be in a Blues Brothers sketch.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2020 1:12 AM

“Are you currently appearing on the Broadway stage?”

“I know you’re wearing that blindfold job, but I’d swear you’re fucking headless, kiddo! I’ve been the only sure bet on Broadway since you were shitting in Pampers!”

Despite the lifelong red card from John Daly, Ms. Lawson still earned her $135 royalty from the sponsor of that day’s show, Pampers disposable diapers.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2020 1:19 AM

[quote]I swear I read that she stubbed out a cigarette on Lorne Michaels after he forced her to be in a Blues Brothers sketch.

She did, but it was consensual.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2020 1:21 AM

[quote]“I know you’re wearing that blindfold job, but I’d swear you’re fucking headless, kiddo! I’ve been the only sure bet on Broadway since you were shitting in Pampers!”

Pampers didn't exist in the '60s, much less when one of the panelists would've been an infant.

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2020 1:23 AM

It's such a shame that a legend like Helen was reduced to doing stints on "Password" and "Matchgame."

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2020 1:32 AM

No one will ever forget Dorothy Kilgallen screaming, "That wiggy bitch shat in my mask!"

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2020 1:32 AM

[quote] Pampers didn't exist in the '60s

[quote] Pampers were introduced in 1961.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2020 1:32 AM

If they were introduced in 1961, how could any of the panelists have been in them as infants?

by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2020 1:44 AM

Helen was asked by a panelist (I think it was Cerf) if she was a mother. The audience would have been satisfied with a simple “No”, but were instead scandalized to find out that “the ‘works’ fell out years ago” and that Lawson had been “too goddam busy back then [to be] bothered” to carry a pregnancy to term.

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2020 1:46 AM

r21, I love you.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2020 2:03 AM

Ye gods and little fishes! All of the above responses are utter rubbish. Rubbish, I tell you.

She was permanently banned from WML after she called Miss Francis, "Marlene Francis."

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2020 2:15 AM

I believe it was when Martin Gabel thought it was Joan Crawford and asked, 'Might I have ever consumed a beverage of yours?'

Helen broke from strained girlish voice she was doing and shot back, 'No, honey, but I've had some of yours!'

Quite risque. You can see Arlene Francis giving Helen a dirty look as she shakes hands.

by Anonymousreply 33November 15, 2020 7:04 PM

When asked by Arlene how she got her start in show biz, Helen replied "The same way you did, toots, by doing THIS" whereupon she deep-throated a banana from her complimentary gift basket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 15, 2020 7:18 PM

The cast might have laughed it all off and saved the evening if Bennett hadn't asked her if she found her work fulfilling and gotten the reply, "Not when you do it, honey. I need more than four inches!"

by Anonymousreply 35November 15, 2020 7:29 PM

Helen really wasn’t bothered by the ban. She’d learned to roooollll with the punches.

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2020 12:40 AM

I've heard that John Daly managed to get a kinescope of the complete, unaired episode and used to show it to friends at dinner parties. Supposedly the film was buried with him when he passed in 1991, but his youngest son, John Earl Daly, is rumored to show it to his friends from time to time. I hear he does a perfect impression of Helen.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2020 12:54 AM

[quote]Helen and Kitty Carlisle arrived at the studio wearing the same Mollie Parnis gown.

Was it ever explained how they both fit in?

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2020 1:03 AM

[quote]but amazingly the incident never made the columns, though Kilgallen printed it as a blind item several days later.

Then IT DID make the columns, abet as a blind item.

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2020 1:06 AM

Helen signed in as "Cocksucker." Cerf, as was his want, managed to sneak a peek at the board and when it was his turn, asked "Are you Frances Farmer?"

I loved live TV.

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2020 1:28 AM

wont

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2020 1:32 AM

For years after the disastrous appearance, Miss Lawson referred to the show as Cunts My Line...

by Anonymousreply 42November 17, 2020 5:02 AM

Groucho was originally supposed to be on the panel that night -Can you imagine???

by Anonymousreply 43November 22, 2020 4:00 AM

The secret word is cunt.

by Anonymousreply 44November 22, 2020 4:27 AM

She bitch-slapped John Charles Daly when he asked her if it was “Miss or Missus?”

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2020 4:29 AM

R38, judicious use of a power-sander.

by Anonymousreply 46November 22, 2020 5:01 AM

The show went to pieces when Arlene asked Helen: "DID! YOU! BRUSH! YOUR! TEETH! WITH! A! CORPSE??!!"

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2020 5:02 AM

It's well known that Helen and Dorothy absolutely hated each other. Dorothy twigged immediately who the mystery guest was, but pretended not to know her in order to suggest that she wasn't all that famous. Bennett and Arlene played along at first, but it became obvious to everyone when Helen asked Bennett if his sons were queer as well.

by Anonymousreply 48November 25, 2020 6:26 AM

She’s alive NOW, asshole at r17.

What a fucktard.

by Anonymousreply 49November 25, 2020 7:24 AM

She came out REEKING of Helenesque.

by Anonymousreply 50November 25, 2020 7:25 AM

Ummm ... link or it didn't happen.

cunt

by Anonymousreply 51November 25, 2020 9:37 AM

It really wasn't that big a deal. When she signed in on the chalkboard the chalk snapped and she said, "Oh, fuck." The audience gasped, but John Daly covered it well. It might have blown over if she hadn't called Dorothy Kilgallen a chinless cunt under her breath and set Daley off laughing so hard they nearly ran over time.

by Anonymousreply 52December 10, 2020 2:55 AM

None of it was Helen's fault! The reason the episode was banned was because guest panelist David Niven was heard to mutter, "Not that cunt again!" under his breath when John Daly flipped over the cards and introduced our Helen. Bennet started coughing and Arlene started giggling so hard it's no wonder Helen slapped her! In the kinescope I have you can clearly see Niven mouthing, "I told you she was a cunt," to Dorothy as the camera cuts away to a test pattern and the announcer says they are having technical difficulties.

by Anonymousreply 53May 5, 2021 5:31 AM

Bennett Cerf later wrote that, walking past the panel on her way out, Dorothy Kilgallen offered her hand to shake and our Helen put her cigarette out in it and whispered, "Cunt." He loved it when people took pot shots at Dorothy...

by Anonymousreply 54July 24, 2021 4:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!