Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pete is quickly becoming Biden's political sniper, picking off opponents one Fox interview at a time. RESPECT!

"Buttigieg pointed out how the president is behind the times when it comes to the new virtual normal, all of which he said is the result of the Trump’s mishandling of the country’s response to pandemic. While “parents are having to deal with e-learning” and the rest of the country has adapted to “meetings over zoom,” the former mayor of South Bend, Indiana, said the president seems blind to the severity of the situation.

“I think part of why the U.S. is falling behind, is badly behind the rest of the developed world on dealing with the pandemic is because every time there’s been a choice between doing something that’s more safe or less safe, this president seems to push for less safe,” Buttigieg continued. “I think it’s also a reflection of the weakness of his campaign. You know, when you see campaigns getting the kind of bad news that he’s been getting through this month, a lot of times you’ll see these kind of increased arguments over rules, withdrawing from opportunities, a little bit of flailing there.”

But Buttigieg, who was fresh off of an equally spicy interview about Mike Pence, pressed on laying everything at the feet of Trump.

“The only reason we’re here in the first place is because the President of the United States is still contagious as far as we know with a deadly, a deadly disease which reflects the overall problem,” he stated. “I don’t know why you’d want to be in another room with other people if you were contagious with a deadly disease and you care about other people.”

Buttigieg paused a moment before observing that “maybe the president doesn’t care about other people.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230November 7, 2020 3:04 AM

I love Pete! He's going to a major player, just don't let him eat in public!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 9, 2020 8:04 AM

Pete is smart and quick on his feet. I for one and tiered of all these people letting Faux News throw up fake arguments without being challenged. Everyone just lets them skate by without question. Time to shut the shit down.

by Anonymousreply 2October 9, 2020 8:21 AM

Has Chasten put on a lot of weight during quarantine? He seems like someone who would pork up pretty quickly, especially with Pete on the road. It's easy to imagine him settling in every night with a gallon of ice cream (or two!) while watching rom-coms.

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2020 8:37 AM

We could have had him instead of Biden.

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2020 8:44 AM

[quote] just don't let him eat in public!

Why? He looks like a beast in that pic, in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2020 8:50 AM

Pete is telling it like it is. Good for him

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2020 8:52 AM

He'd have been the best candidate. Imagine Trump trying to talk over him. Maybe one day he will be Prez.

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2020 8:57 AM

America is too backwards to be ready for that r4, but I hope he becomes a strong presence in politics.

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2020 9:05 AM

I agree with R8. I like Pete too and he made history for an openly gay man in the Iowa & New Hampshire primaries, but it's probably too soon for an openly gay man to get elected President.

by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2020 9:20 AM

This country needs him.

by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2020 9:26 AM

It's too soon for a black man, a woman a gay man...stop with the self loathing. Social change never comes when everyone is ready for it.

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2020 9:35 AM

It’s very refreshing to see someone finally just call a spade and spade and not allow the Fox bots to control the narrative in interviews. I was watching a senator from Kansas or Tennessee or somewhere on The View yesterday and the ladies just let her speak and for anyone with 2 brain cells she was the dumbest, most hypocritical person you’ll find. I found myself wondering who could possibly vote for this woman and I’m of the opinion that only people brainwashed by Fox News could. They’ve mastered a way to not only spread misinformation but to psychologically manipulate people just like televangelists and informercials. It’s time for people to really call their shit out on air. Most guests are too worried about their careers and elections but Pete is in the right place at the right time. He has nothing at all to lose from this and he’s very effective.

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2020 9:42 AM

Clearly, he is going to be a part of the Biden administration. I think the years in Washington will give him the experience/contacts that will do him well for higher office. I can see him running for governor of Indiana and then doing another run for President, targeting 2028.

by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2020 9:45 AM

[quote]Clearly, he is going to be a part of the Biden administration.

From the moment Biden (genuinely, and clearly to Pete's surprise) said that Pete reminds him of Beau, I figured he was going to be Chief of Staff.

by Anonymousreply 14October 9, 2020 10:21 AM

I love Pete.

by Anonymousreply 15October 9, 2020 10:54 AM

Yep.

Warren and Klobuchar are MIA unsurprisingly.

by Anonymousreply 16October 9, 2020 10:56 AM

GIT 'EM, PETE. God knows we need all the help we can get. I'm liking Pete more and more.

by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2020 10:57 AM

An openly gay vet knows no fear.

by Anonymousreply 18October 9, 2020 11:05 AM

He’s our Kellyanne.

He wouldn’t let that anchor get a word in. He firebombed a question meant to corner him and kept talking right through every attempted interjection.

The difference is, he doesn’t look like a kitchen witch or sound like a harpy when doing so.

I’d give up my social media followers to see Pete go at it with Smellyanne.

by Anonymousreply 19October 9, 2020 11:17 AM

R10, he will be in this admin. There's no denying it.

by Anonymousreply 20October 9, 2020 11:18 AM

[quote]It's too soon for a black man, a woman a gay man...stop with the self loathing. Social change never comes when everyone is ready for it

It only happens when the DEMS do it.

by Anonymousreply 21October 9, 2020 11:20 AM

Warren was all over tv yesterday. I’m working from home so flick it on from time to time and caught her twice on MSNBC and later on I think CNN. She was talking about healthcare. I think she has a lot of appeal for white suburban women when she speaks on healthcare. They might find her too threatening on the economy “argh she’ll tax my husband and we’ll lose our third home to pay for the lazy poors” but on healthcare she’s effective right now.

by Anonymousreply 22October 9, 2020 11:41 AM

Remind me again why we had to pick Biden instead of Pete?

by Anonymousreply 23October 9, 2020 11:46 AM

Who??

by Anonymousreply 24October 9, 2020 11:49 AM

^Because you touch yourself and God doesn't like that.

by Anonymousreply 25October 9, 2020 11:49 AM

R23, You're kidding, right? You're an American, right? As in, you know where you're living, right?

ARE YOU KIDDING ABOUT AMERICA 'S BEING READY TO ELECT A GAY MAN AS POTUS, NEVER MIND HE WAS ONLY A MAYOR?!

by Anonymousreply 26October 9, 2020 11:53 AM

As we’ve seen from Amy Cunt Barrett, if a gay man is anti abortion and pro business even evangelicals would vote for him. Right now they are even co-opting feminism to say ACB is the “right” kind of feminist. A gay man with her beliefs and record would be the “right” kind of a gay and they’d even co-opt gay rights to suggest they were the enlightened ones and we were all self loathing, jealous hypocrites

by Anonymousreply 27October 9, 2020 12:04 PM

R28 - Aaron Schock is more or less proof of that, too.

by Anonymousreply 28October 9, 2020 12:11 PM

You're living in the past, R26. Did you say the same thing about Obama in 2008? Pete would've won in a landslide. He appeals to moderates on both sides.

by Anonymousreply 29October 9, 2020 12:12 PM

Your argument seems a bit circular r28.

by Anonymousreply 30October 9, 2020 12:13 PM

Can we just fucking focus on getting Biden-Harris elected? That's the goal. You're Harriet Christian 2.0, R29. Enough

by Anonymousreply 31October 9, 2020 12:15 PM

[quote]ONLY A MAYOR?!

That "only a _____" is irrelevant these days after Trump.

Trump did nothing relative to being President and America said let's do it. And he was not a successful business man, 450 million gone that he inherited, 6 bankruptcies and 500 million in debt. Not to mention he was never a CEO of a Fortune 500 company with investors and board of directors that would have fired his ass decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2020 12:15 PM

R32, must we do this again? Republicans and Democrats have different standards. Period. Suck it up, buttercup. Pete will have his time. He's not even 40 yet, calm the fuck down.

by Anonymousreply 33October 9, 2020 12:18 PM

[quote]I was watching a senator from Kansas or Tennessee or somewhere on The View yesterday and the ladies just let her speak and for anyone with 2 brain cells she was the dumbest, most hypocritical person you’ll find.

What do you expect watching a shitty show like The View? Hardly hard-hitting journalism.

by Anonymousreply 34October 9, 2020 12:20 PM

Pete could have done better if he had Black support. That's just the reality. He and Amy Klobuchar are both good candidates and would both be excellent PResidents. But you cannot win without minority support and he didn't have it. He and Amy attempted to correct that too late and their attempts were ineffective and very awkward. I believe in time he will correct that and so will she. I predict great things for Pete if he can build the kind of broad coalition he needs. And he will. So will Klobuchar. I'm very glad he was working with Kamala on debate prep. I'm glad he's so visible helping Biden. Biden is grooming Pete and will probably include him in his administration. I'm convinced, one day, Pete will be President.

by Anonymousreply 35October 9, 2020 12:26 PM

Drumpf is nothing more than a MLM conman. I'm surprised he doesn't hawk Amway on the side.

by Anonymousreply 36October 9, 2020 12:26 PM

R34m voters watch the View.

by Anonymousreply 37October 9, 2020 12:27 PM

I love Pete

by Anonymousreply 38October 9, 2020 12:27 PM

R35, you understand there's nothing wrong with Pete working in this admin and building up his "cred" and maybe becoming a governor or a powerful voice in the Senate. The guy is 38. Why do you act like he can only ever be president right now when he could be an even far more powerful voice in the Senate or the House? You need to stop with this obsession of making him president right this minute.

by Anonymousreply 39October 9, 2020 12:29 PM

When he was a young gayling, Pete always has insecurity regarding his gayness, he deliberately lowers his voice in order to hide his sexuality from everyone. Because of that, Pete think he has missed out his 20s to be young and free, and engaged in the wild gay sex that he always dreamt. Married to Chester, a feminine gay bottom with limited desire, Pete is happy. "I am a lucky man", he thinks to himself every day.

by Anonymousreply 40October 9, 2020 12:32 PM

It will be interesting to see what job Pete gets in a Biden administration. I like Pete, but I did think it was too early for him to be President, not that he couldn't do the job, being a good President is mostly about who you hire to work the jobs around you. I just don't think America will elect a person in their 30's to be President, let alone a person in their 30's who is gay, who's main experience is being a midsize town mayor.

by Anonymousreply 41October 9, 2020 12:33 PM

But sometimes, he wondered, what it all could have been if he came out of the closet sooner, and engaged in all sort of sexual encounter with teenagers in their 20s. When he ran for president, the sexual offer from young man is limitless. Pete knows well that there will be "crazy kid" who make sexual offer to him, but still, the amount of invitation he had surprised him.

by Anonymousreply 42October 9, 2020 12:34 PM

Right now, I just want to see him on FOX over and over again. You think they'll stop inviting him?

by Anonymousreply 43October 9, 2020 12:35 PM

After the presidental campaign, Pete has been staying home with Chesten. Having more time on his own, Pete reflected on his presidential campaign, his political career. He was thinking through every steps he made at the presidential campaign. But, during the reflection, he can’t help but think about all the offer that was given to him, all the young volunteer who deliberately show their cock to him. All the tight pants filled by millennial ass. All the white thin sweaty pants with no underwear. All the accidental nip slip and pant rips. Slowly but surely, he is now only thinking about these precious moment during the campaign. He is very aroused. “Just get it out of my head”, he thinks to himself.

by Anonymousreply 44October 9, 2020 12:36 PM

He started moving in a more "moderate" direction in the campaign (strategically), which turned me off as for a Democrat that normally means accepting rightwing premises and taking baby steps around him. I think that this DEMOLISHING of rightwing premises, though, is more his style, and as posters upthread have said, it's about time. It's what the grassroots started calling for in the Bush years, and it may have taken the scare of Trump as well as a rising generation sick of the whole long kleptocratic/theocratic butterslide to convince Democrats to assert themselves.

by Anonymousreply 45October 9, 2020 12:36 PM

Just when he is about to rub one out in the bathroom. “Throw away that trash! And I don’t mean your presidential campaign.” A screechy, whiny voice coming from the bedroom. It was Chesten. He is surely in a bad mood today. “I could have been the first man throwing china in the white house, if only my significant other is better at campaigning, or taller! Instead, now I am stucked with an unemployed Rhode Scholar!” Chesten said while throwing stuff out of the bedroom. “Can you just for once stop talking about how sorry you are. Hello, I was the one who ran a campaign. I wish I can be the one who ate his way through the campaign trail. You know, when Hillary lost, his husband actually support him!” Pete is angry to have to listen to that all day long; quarantine doesn’t help either. “Maybe his husband support him because she get to the primary!” Chesten yelled back.

by Anonymousreply 46October 9, 2020 12:37 PM

Put down the vodka, R20. Teenagers by definition aren't in their 20s.

by Anonymousreply 47October 9, 2020 12:37 PM

I meant R42...

by Anonymousreply 48October 9, 2020 12:38 PM

Stephanie Ruhle owning up to her mistake, but I don't think she was wrong in her initial assessment. I think Pete learned a lot by campaigning over the course of the campaign. It is how you start paving the road to bigger things:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 9, 2020 12:39 PM

R4 you seem to think having a nominee you really like is better than having a president you really don’t like.

by Anonymousreply 50October 9, 2020 12:52 PM

Pete told Chesten to stop messing around his stuff and he would clean up the room instead. Just when he is cleaning, he saw the hard copy of thank you card he sent to his volunteer after the campaign. He made a copy of them before sending out. He looked through them one by one. All of them are for man and women from all walk of life who supported him passionately. Of course, there is few guys who like him a little more than the rest. Pete couldn’t help but remember these young supporter when looking through the cards. Then, he get to the one card for a young volunteer named James. He was one of the few supporters who eye glowed when he saw him, Pete remember how many times his face blush when he sees him, and of course, all the times James keep revealing himself to him. High hope dance with white cycling pants. Yes, he remember. “He told me he live few blocks from me”. Pete thought.

by Anonymousreply 51October 9, 2020 1:06 PM

Pete can string more than one thought together articulately, better than any of the candidates running at present.

by Anonymousreply 52October 9, 2020 1:07 PM

R52, move on. It's not his time.

by Anonymousreply 53October 9, 2020 1:09 PM

I hope Joe offers him a job in his administration.

by Anonymousreply 54October 9, 2020 1:11 PM

That's a given, r54

by Anonymousreply 55October 9, 2020 1:13 PM

I wonder if Trump was watching.

by Anonymousreply 56October 9, 2020 1:21 PM

And where's the commentary from all the gays who denounced him and said he wasn't 'gay enough' and that because of his McKinsey background and that he came out later in life, that he can't be trusted?

There were plenty here saying that. Wonder what Joy Reid (who pathologically laid into Pete every chance she got) had to say. These Pete clips have been dominating Twitter - Joy has chosen to not retweet them for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 57October 9, 2020 1:23 PM

Very few gay men said that. ⬆️

by Anonymousreply 58October 9, 2020 1:30 PM

He is so articulate and his tone and delivery so gentle that he is perfect for this role. It’s part of what I believe is his political talent. He’s never offensive.

by Anonymousreply 59October 9, 2020 1:37 PM

R58 - there were an equal amount of Pete hate and support here. And Joy Reid is still not giving him any air even though he defended her girl in an outstanding manner on Fox.

by Anonymousreply 60October 9, 2020 1:41 PM

Actually, they interviewed Pete after one of the debates, incl. Joy.

by Anonymousreply 61October 9, 2020 1:44 PM

R35 here. I thought we were talking about the 2020 primaries and running for PResident. I agree with you. Pete can run for Governor or Senator too.

by Anonymousreply 62October 9, 2020 1:48 PM

Don't forget Chasten the adorable. Behind every gay man is a...

by Anonymousreply 63October 9, 2020 2:42 PM

...BBC?

by Anonymousreply 64October 9, 2020 2:52 PM

R62 - but Pete is limited in his congressional career by living in right-wing Indiana. There have been some Dems from there - but it's a hard road. And they're not going to vote for a gay guy.

by Anonymousreply 65October 9, 2020 3:06 PM

[Quote] And they're not going to vote for a gay guy.

They voted in Pete. Twice. R65 You must not live in Indiana or middle America. Which coast is your expertise from?

by Anonymousreply 66October 9, 2020 3:15 PM

R66 They voted in Pete twice in South Bend, a town where if you win the Democratic Party nomination for Mayor you have locked up the race. It is rather unusual for a Democrat to win statewide and Republicans have gerrymandered Pete's congressional district to be strongly Republican. Just being a Democrat in a statewide race in Indiana is a very tough road, add into that being gay and it is damn near impossible to win today.

by Anonymousreply 67October 9, 2020 3:30 PM

I'd like to see him Secretary of State

by Anonymousreply 68October 9, 2020 3:33 PM

[quote] I'd like to see him Secretary of State

That sure helped Hillary to become President.

by Anonymousreply 69October 9, 2020 3:34 PM

Thank you R67 for saving me having to explain the obvious to the idiot at R66. Mayoral elections are not the same as state-wide or even district elections.

by Anonymousreply 70October 9, 2020 3:53 PM

[quote]Warren and Klobuchar are MIA unsurprisingly.

Unlike Pete, they both have jobs.

by Anonymousreply 71October 9, 2020 5:08 PM

[quote]It's too soon for a black man, a woman a gay man...stop with the self loathing. Social change never comes when everyone is ready for it.

Thank you. Maybe it wouldn't be "too soon" for a gay man to be President of the U.S. if so many people didn't keep mindlessly parroting the phrase "IT'S TOO SOON FOR A GAY MAN TO BE PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.!!."

by Anonymousreply 72October 9, 2020 5:24 PM

R66, stop. Of the 100K people who live South Bend, 10K voted for him the first time, 8500 the second time. My neighborhood has more than 10K.

And you think that translates into millions in a part of the country who always vote GOP, voting for the gay Democrat?

by Anonymousreply 73October 9, 2020 5:27 PM

Didn’t Pete move to another state? I thought they moved to be near some of Chasten’s family. Which is a good move if it gets him out of Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 74October 9, 2020 5:32 PM

They moved to Chasten's home state of Michigan, though a nice part near Traverse City IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 75October 9, 2020 6:05 PM

They didn't move there -- they just bought a second home there.

by Anonymousreply 76October 9, 2020 6:06 PM

He would be a wonderful senator to have in any state. I said it in the other thread that I would love for him to challenge Schumer. I swear he could win without even living here. People can't stand Schumer's weakness. We need a real Dem who takes no Rep shit.

by Anonymousreply 77October 9, 2020 6:08 PM

Jesus he COMPLETELY EVISCERATED Doocey.

by Anonymousreply 78October 9, 2020 6:22 PM

I think he is proving that communication is his strength. Maybe he needs to run the White House. Someone who can communicate a message and dominate.

by Anonymousreply 79October 9, 2020 6:24 PM

He didn’t let Steve get a word in which is what they always do on CNN.

Love it.

by Anonymousreply 80October 9, 2020 6:26 PM

[quote]Thank you. Maybe it wouldn't be "too soon" for a gay man to be President of the U.S. if so many people didn't keep mindlessly parroting the phrase "IT'S TOO SOON FOR A GAY MAN TO BE PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.!!."

It's not too soon for a gay president. It's too soon for THIS gay to be president.

by Anonymousreply 81October 9, 2020 6:28 PM

Given these clips he would make a fine press secretary.

by Anonymousreply 82October 9, 2020 6:40 PM

R27, Uh, illogical. Amy is, if you haven't noticed, a Republican. Republicans will excuse anything in one of their own.

Oh, and she's a married heterosexual with seven kids.

So guess again.

by Anonymousreply 83October 9, 2020 6:53 PM

Get real, r72. Nobody is arguing "it's too soon." I happen to think Buttigieg would be, literally, a brilliant and brave POTUS.

The argument is: The United States is populated by scores of millions of voters FOR TRUMP.

FGS, half the threads here concern actors who dare not, or feel they dare not, "come out." And movie-goers aren't known for being conservative.

But you will note that I, at least, included the paltriness of Pete's political resume'.

by Anonymousreply 84October 9, 2020 7:00 PM

[quote]COMPLETELY EVISCERATED Doocey

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 85October 9, 2020 7:03 PM

R32, Your facts mean nothing, because they were not the "story" of Trump in 2016. "Billionaire Legend" was, with casinos, skyscrapers, and TV shows everyone was familiar with.

And since it was Hillary's own husband who said, "It's the economy, stupid," well, an alleged billionaire businessman impressed enough voters, especially during the Primaries, that lack of a political job didn't hurt.

Plus he's not gay.

by Anonymousreply 86October 9, 2020 7:11 PM

Get him into the Administration and then groom him to be Kamala's running mate when she runs. Time to bury these horrible and treasonous Repugs once and for all, and take the White House for the next four cycles, if not more.

by Anonymousreply 87October 9, 2020 7:17 PM

I just watched the clip above and the other one with those other FOX blowhards and I gotta say, Pete is really fantastic!! He eviscerates Republican talking points better than any other Democrat on the scene right now and he beats those fuckers at their own game. I can't wait to see what cabinet position he'll have in Biden's administration.

by Anonymousreply 88October 9, 2020 7:22 PM

Something where he's in the public eye doing messaging. Not some secretary of something-or-other that you never see or hear about except when he's caught charging a hideous dining room set to the public dime.

by Anonymousreply 89October 9, 2020 7:35 PM

Damn, that Pete has some bite to him.

by Anonymousreply 90October 9, 2020 7:45 PM

THIS is how you deal with the right-wing. A calm punch to the face.

by Anonymousreply 91October 9, 2020 7:50 PM

Pete is a ne'er do well with too many credentials. He will NEVER be Prez. Keep dreaming, fagz.

by Anonymousreply 92October 9, 2020 7:58 PM

You say too many credentials now, homophobic R92, but when he's at the top of a Democratic ticket you'll be all, "What are his accomplishments? I'm just waiting for someone to tell me what he's accomplished. No one can name any accomplishment of his!"

by Anonymousreply 93October 9, 2020 8:02 PM

Pete is presidential material because he has the best ideas and new.

He is good not just because he can handle the press. It's not word play for him. He's got a vision of a unified America that does not sneer at or look down on the Middle Americans left behind as stupid. He is a gay man who does not play to divisive and corralling identity politics. He is of a young generation that looks beyond the old left-right paradigm.

Pete is without soul sapping irony and cynicism. That's why he can handle the press. I like this man. He is good for America.

by Anonymousreply 94October 9, 2020 8:15 PM

Really some of you have to stop looking at electing a gay man as easy because you and most everyone you know would vote for him. I would be thrilled with Pete as President and Pete could carry New York, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Washington state and California easily but after that it gets more difficult. Middle America is not ready to elect a gay man or a lesbian as President just yet and middle America is where Presidential elections are won. I live in middle America, if you did you would understand, I wish it wasn't that way but it is and I believe the time will come but it won't be in the next 12 years.

by Anonymousreply 95October 9, 2020 8:30 PM

[quote] Nobody is arguing "it's too soon."

Did you even glance at r9?!

by Anonymousreply 96October 9, 2020 9:00 PM

R46/51, please continue! These little episodes between the post are amusing. :)

by Anonymousreply 97October 9, 2020 10:28 PM

Don't encourage this tedious fiction writer. His poor grasp of English is especially irksome.

by Anonymousreply 98October 9, 2020 10:43 PM

Biden knew exactly what he was doing when he said Pete would be part of his administration--look at Pete go!

by Anonymousreply 99October 9, 2020 11:20 PM

Bidens campaign is trading in sterotypes by using him as as attack dog. Of course they would make the gay guy the bitchy chiujuana on tv.

by Anonymousreply 100October 10, 2020 2:47 AM

*chihuahua

by Anonymousreply 101October 10, 2020 2:48 AM

R100: There's nothing remotely "bitchy" about the way Pete has gone after Trump and the Rethugs, you cretin.

by Anonymousreply 102October 10, 2020 3:36 AM

[Quote] Biden knew exactly what he was doing when he said Pete would be part of his administration

He said that? Oh no I was hoping Pete would stay out to work on 2024.but it's okay, he's way smart and knows what he's doing.

by Anonymousreply 103October 10, 2020 3:57 AM

Biden did say that. Also said he reminded him of his late son. That's the biggest compliment he could give. I am sure he will get some kind of important position. Of course he doesn't have to accept it but would be stupid not to.

by Anonymousreply 104October 10, 2020 8:21 AM

[Quote] [R46] r51, please continue! These little episodes between the post are amusing

I second this. Please do more.

[Quote] His poor grasp of English is especially irksome.

And do not pay any attention to this. I love the way you write!

by Anonymousreply 105October 10, 2020 8:37 AM

Um no, Please stop R46. Those little paragraphs are stupid and overworked. They sound more like self loathing projection. Since obviously you have never met him, it must be coming from your own life experiences.

Have you been watching Boys in the Band again?

by Anonymousreply 106October 10, 2020 8:44 AM

How are Pete and Chasten doing for money? Pete's not working right? And Chasten a teacher of some sort? I hope they are on a budget.

by Anonymousreply 107October 10, 2020 11:27 AM

they scrimp and save

by Anonymousreply 108October 10, 2020 11:48 AM

Pete just published a Book R107. It's already #1 on Amazon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109October 10, 2020 11:53 AM

Brilliant name, Trust.

by Anonymousreply 110October 10, 2020 12:37 PM

It's interesting the other sharp mind, that of AOC, is not being used. Pete is more unifying I guess. That's the kind of leader we need.

by Anonymousreply 111October 10, 2020 12:40 PM

A0C and Bernie are speaking to their wing to increase turnout. Pete is going after the independent folks in the middle.

It's a good set-up.

by Anonymousreply 112October 10, 2020 12:43 PM

It's about time the Democrats all get on the same page. We need to stamp out Trump and Trumpism. It only took a global pandemic and 200,000 dead to get people motivated. Hopefully, if they win, they can do a lot in the first 2 years go full force without in fighting from the left and the right of the party. It's our one big chance to make some really significant changes. Don't fuck it up. It's called compromise, if every one gives in just a little, we can get a lot done.

by Anonymousreply 113October 10, 2020 12:51 PM

I'm excited for Pete to be a part of the Biden administration and I hope they don't forget about Beto. He's working hard to turn Texas Blue.

by Anonymousreply 114October 10, 2020 1:09 PM

Beto is perfect for the Biden White House. Pete needs to aim higher.

by Anonymousreply 115October 10, 2020 3:49 PM

I am one of the OG Pete fans here, I saw his first interview on Morning Joe and immediately knew he had “it”. Granted, he wasn’t as emotive as I would have liked, but I know raw talent when I see it, and I knew that that would develop over time — and it is!!! Just look at him now!

I disagree that Americans would vote for him. I think everyone thought the same thing about a black President, until Obama came in and proved them wrong. Pete can go as far as he wants to, I don’t believe there are enough bigots out there to stop him anymore — America leans left, the majority is left for sure.

Love you Pete, couldn’t be more proud of you, just keep going!

by Anonymousreply 116October 10, 2020 3:50 PM

I already had R100 on ignore so it's a rightwing troll. I've been ignoring these idiots as soon as they reveal themselves.

by Anonymousreply 117October 10, 2020 3:54 PM

Pete is so impressive...damn I wish I had half his gravitas.

by Anonymousreply 118October 10, 2020 4:02 PM

Pete is smart, going on Fox is his way of becoming broadly known in red states and in the Midwest. Free publicity that shows him at his best. This is a very smart guy that wants to run for President, and they’re giving him free publicity for his future run and making him a household name. Go Pete!

by Anonymousreply 119October 10, 2020 4:06 PM

[quote]Warren and Klobuchar are MIA unsurprisingly.

Warren is on her way to New Hampshire & Maine today to talk about structural change for Joe. She has been stomping for Biden, speaking with Biden and interviewing for Biden for months.

Amy’s still and always will be affiliated with George Floyd’s death & the subsequent BLM protests. The last thing Biden or Harris would want is her around.

by Anonymousreply 120October 10, 2020 4:23 PM

R46 is a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 121October 10, 2020 4:27 PM

R46 English is not your first language? You sound more like Slovakian whore Vairst Leddy.

by Anonymousreply 122October 10, 2020 4:30 PM

r122 Apparently geography is not your first language.

Slovakia and Slovenia are not the same country.

by Anonymousreply 123October 10, 2020 4:36 PM

R123 I admit I was much better at geography back in my younger days before the USSR split up into a bunch of different counties that all sound alike. Slovenia, Slovakia, I say tomato, you say to-mah-to.................

by Anonymousreply 124October 10, 2020 4:40 PM

[quote] It's too soon for a black man, a woman a gay man...stop with the self loathing. Social change never comes when everyone is ready for it.

A white male who was in the closet for most of his life, including his time in the military. Somehow, that's not what I think of as "social change".

by Anonymousreply 125October 10, 2020 5:26 PM

Shut the fuck up r125. Everyone is on their own journey and we don’t learn big life lessons at the exact same pace. At least Pete evolved toward truth and authenticity — not everyone has that from day one, it doesn’t make him a bad person or less than.

by Anonymousreply 126October 10, 2020 5:34 PM

R125 I don't blame him for keeping secret while he was in the military.

by Anonymousreply 127October 10, 2020 5:37 PM

[quote] I don't blame him for keeping secret while he was in the military

Thanks for proving my point. He's a white male, so he gets slack from you that others don't.

by Anonymousreply 128October 10, 2020 5:41 PM

Non sequitur R128 since I've never criticized anyone for keeping their homosexuality a secret in the military. Who did I supposedly criticize?

by Anonymousreply 129October 10, 2020 5:44 PM

[quote]I admit I was much better at geography back in my younger days before the USSR split up into a bunch of different counties that all sound alike. Slovenia, Slovakia, I say tomato, you say to-mah-to.................

Neither of those countries was part of the USSR. Slovakia was part of Czechoslovakia and Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia.

by Anonymousreply 130October 10, 2020 5:44 PM

You must take me for someone who gives a shit R130. The point is Vairst Leddy is a whore.

by Anonymousreply 131October 10, 2020 5:49 PM

[quote]Remind me again why we had to pick Biden instead of Pete?

Because he is a straight white man. Joe Biden is one of the weakest candidates to ever ran on the democratic side, but at this moment in history the US is not ready for anything else.

by Anonymousreply 132October 10, 2020 5:52 PM

Warren will only hurt Biden. Her only base is fem nazis, she has absolutely no mainstream appeal.

Pete is much better.

by Anonymousreply 133October 10, 2020 5:53 PM

[quote] Warren will only hurt Biden. Her only base is fem nazis

Ah, how supportive of women you are. And remind me why I should support someone who doesn't hesitate to attack me?

by Anonymousreply 134October 10, 2020 5:58 PM

R134, Of fuck off. Warren’s shills has no problem attacking Pete as a gay man. Warren had no problems attacking Pete for hosting the same fundraisers she hosted for years including right before she announced her candidacy.

What’s good for the goose is good for the fucking gander.

by Anonymousreply 135October 10, 2020 6:03 PM

[quote] Warren’s shills has no problem attacking Pete as a gay man.

Oh, bring out the tiniest violin. You're such a victim.

by Anonymousreply 136October 10, 2020 6:10 PM

R136, says the person who is bitching about the use of "fem nazis".

If the shoe fits, wear it.

by Anonymousreply 137October 10, 2020 6:12 PM

I'd vote for Biden if only he had picked Mayor Pete as his VP.

by Anonymousreply 138October 10, 2020 6:13 PM

R138 = liar, fraud

by Anonymousreply 139October 10, 2020 6:26 PM

[quote]Everyone is on their own journey and we don’t learn big life lessons at the exact same pace.

How was the lo mein before you cracked open this nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 140October 10, 2020 6:33 PM

lots of crazy loons now

by Anonymousreply 141October 10, 2020 7:28 PM

R132, He is a a bad canidate because he has one foot in the grave and is riddled with demenria and has old fashioned antiquated politices. He was an active part in some of the biggest atrocities of the past 60 years wuch as the invasion of Iraq and a cheerleader for NAFTA.

Bidens whitness and maleness doesnt even enter the picture. Being a white man is only a factor AGAINST younger candidates like Pete or Beto. I dont know how many times Pete was expected to apologize for his whitness and maleness. It was constant.

Biden never was.

by Anonymousreply 142October 11, 2020 1:21 AM

(R111) I hope you were being facetious when you said AOC has a sharp mind. She's one of the stupidest people in Congress, for God's sake. Think Green New Deal.

by Anonymousreply 143October 11, 2020 1:31 AM

AOC is one of the brightest and she is getting her experience on The Hill. She has street smarts and scares all the repubs. No one can clap back on social media like her. She will be a force to be reckoned with in due time.

by Anonymousreply 144October 11, 2020 2:20 AM

He's totally going to be Chief of Staff if Biden wins.

I think he'll be President someday. AOC will be his Bernie in the primaries.

by Anonymousreply 145October 11, 2020 2:49 AM

[quote] No one can clap back on social media like her.

This is not a quality that helps when trying to help run a country, dear.

by Anonymousreply 146October 11, 2020 1:08 PM

So incredibly easy to dismiss the smug opinions of anyone who calls a fellow poster "dear".

by Anonymousreply 147October 11, 2020 1:13 PM

On the contrary, the Democrats have long needed voices who promptly answer Republican claims by cutting through to the basic issues and bypassing the Republican framing and talking points.

by Anonymousreply 148October 11, 2020 1:18 PM

[quote] So incredibly easy to dismiss the smug opinions of anyone who calls a fellow poster "dear".

How about anyone who uses the phrase "clap back."

by Anonymousreply 149October 11, 2020 1:44 PM

[quote]How about anyone who uses the phrase "clap back."

Newp, not a problem. Actually, quite descriptive.

Calling a stranger "dear" is just condescending and offers no information of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 150October 11, 2020 2:00 PM

R148, hear, hear!

by Anonymousreply 151October 11, 2020 2:20 PM

[quote] Calling a stranger "dear" is just condescending

Oh good, so you're not as completely fucking stupid as you appear.

by Anonymousreply 152October 11, 2020 2:29 PM

R148, and that's why Kamala was a breath of fresh air at the debate, because she went there specifically to tell Mike Pence "don't fuck with us." She and Pete and others will be great, strong, unashamed Democratic voices for this country.

And AOC will never be the problem. I find her voice grating, but I like that she's a strong voice and a smart voice on the left. Yes, she is smart if you actually listen to her. She understands procedure and governing unlike the god damned president.

If you're an idiot enabler who calls yourself a "moderate" and you have spent the past four years telling us "This is why Trump won" as you've ignored the repugnant bigotry, racism, cruelty, GLARING corruption of Trump's family and the Republicans, the power grab, the ignorance and advocacy of violence coming from the president himself of far-right extremists and you think the left has anything even close to that within the party, then we have no use for you. If you're such a fool that you think the left is the "real" danger, again, no use for you.

by Anonymousreply 153October 11, 2020 2:37 PM

Hmmm Out.com thats funny .... remember when you demanded we call for Pete’s head simply because as Mayor he dared to support a Salvation Army charity drive in his city? And *gasp* he was even photographed looking happy holding one of those buckets!!!

by Anonymousreply 154October 11, 2020 2:43 PM

R154, that is kind of a bad look to be a gay person holding a bucket for an organiz ation that advocates your head be in it.

by Anonymousreply 155October 11, 2020 2:45 PM

Seriously, if the Dems could do it all over again, I think we'd see Pete as the 2020 Democratic Presidential Candidate.

by Anonymousreply 156October 11, 2020 2:50 PM

[quote] Joe Biden is one of the weakest candidates to ever ran

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 157October 11, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote] I'd like to see him Secretary of State

At the beginning of the Republic, a prior history of being Secretary of State was a good predictor of future Presidential success. It’s less-so, in the last decades, though.

by Anonymousreply 158October 11, 2020 3:00 PM

No, you would not, R156. I feel like with you, we need to do that seen in Airplane! where a line of people are waiting to calm that hysterical woman. We need to knock some sense into you.

He. Does. Not. Have. Enough. Of. A. POLITICAL. RESUME. For fuck sake, why are you so short-sighted? Think about the long game, hon. Think about having a bullpen waiting for the future. He's not even 40 yet. Save him for when he actually has the CV to go along with the brilliance.

God, is that how you fuck, too? Blow your load fast rather than enjoy it for a while?

by Anonymousreply 159October 11, 2020 3:01 PM

Here’s an article on that. It seems the last Sec of State to become President was before the civil war.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160October 11, 2020 3:03 PM

[quote] we need to do that seen in Airplane!

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 161October 11, 2020 3:08 PM

LOL, R161. FUCK. I so deserve that. I wrote that too fast.

SCENE!*

by Anonymousreply 162October 11, 2020 3:09 PM

I love ya anyway, r162.

All in good fun.

by Anonymousreply 163October 11, 2020 3:16 PM

I had thought that Obama gave that San Antonio Castro (can’t remember which twin) a cabinet position so as to boost his resume with a Federal Administration position for a future Presidential run. Likewise, Biden will do the same for Pete.

Pete could become Press Secretary, Sec of Veteran Affairs, Sec of Housing and Urban Development, there are lots of roles. I don’t think he would be a good fit as Chief of Staff because I think a DC insider would be better. Somebody who has worked in the White House and has seen how that job has worked under Obama.

by Anonymousreply 164October 11, 2020 3:17 PM

[quote] I think a DC insider would be better

Biden, who has been in DC for about 50 years, is not as in need of an insider as others.

by Anonymousreply 165October 11, 2020 3:19 PM

These Oh Dear queens need to unclench. Can someone please start a thread for them to to vent their underlying anger? They derail threads. It's wouldn't be so bad if they added something to conversations but they come crashing in with their little smirks then disappear. There, I've said it.

Now back to Pete. He would make a great Press Secretary. He seems to be able to boil down a message in a clear concise voice. Plus he looks dreamy!

by Anonymousreply 166October 11, 2020 3:22 PM

Right back at ya, r163

by Anonymousreply 167October 11, 2020 3:25 PM

R166, seems like you’re the one that needs to unclench.

Oh, dears are a DL tradition. Did you see r162’s reaction? That’s what it’s all about.

Relax and have some fun. It ain’t all that serious.

by Anonymousreply 168October 11, 2020 3:28 PM

Press secretary is too humble a position. He needs to be a secretary level guy.

by Anonymousreply 169October 11, 2020 3:28 PM

[quote]They derail threads.

No they don't. Far to trivial and too easy to skip past for a derailment.

by Anonymousreply 170October 11, 2020 3:28 PM

As someone else mentioned on this thread or another, I’d prefer Pete somewhere in the public eye. Something where his name and image are out there.

by Anonymousreply 171October 11, 2020 3:31 PM

But getting the Administration's message out for the masses with clarity and conviction is needed, especially with some many important changes this country needs for progression. Look at the current fluffy-headed lying empty-heads we have recently seen.

by Anonymousreply 172October 11, 2020 3:33 PM

[quote] R142: He (Biden) was an active part in some of the biggest atrocities of the past 60 years wuch as the invasion of Iraq and a cheerleader for NAFTA.

NAFTA sucked, but the alternative may well have been worse. There’s a trade-off involved. We, in the US, lost jobs due to NAFTA, but we also gained cheaper consumer products. I read somewhere that building a typical automobile involves parts crossing the Mexican border and back something like six times. Overall, historically, countries become richer through international trade.

I used to work with computers. I was irked at the huge influx of Indians who we’re here on H1B visas taking our (my) jobs. But consider the alternative. Perhaps, if we didn’t let these people in, maybe many of our US companies would have moved all their operations to Bangalore? Many actually have done so, but we might have seen much greater job flight.

Since I’m not an expert on this subject, I have to think about it based on who I trust to do the best for the American people. I trust Bill Clinton, Obama, and Biden. I trust the Dens in general. I don’t trust the Republicans and don’t trust Trump in particular.

by Anonymousreply 173October 11, 2020 3:35 PM

same here

by Anonymousreply 174October 11, 2020 3:39 PM

I don’t know if it’s an act or if it’s sincere, but I loved the look on Pete’s face when he is confronting a troublesome situation. There was some racial issue during the primary. A Black man was killed by a police officer, and he went back to South Bend to address the issue. He had this furrowed brow and serious expression. It’s an emotion he otherwise wasn’t displaying on the campaign trail. It sure beats the fly-over that Dubya did after Katrina.

by Anonymousreply 175October 11, 2020 3:46 PM

I once heard a high-up corporate executive of a major US company say something like, “should I create ten new jobs in the US, or raise 100 Indians out of poverty by creating jobs there, for the same cost?” It was a rhetorical question, and a worrisome one for the US.

It’s a global world, now. Unless COVID stops trade.

I once read that frozen US chickens are shipped from the US to China to be processed, then sent back to the US for sale. I would never imagine such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 176October 11, 2020 4:03 PM

I can't believe how after the criminal debacle of 2016 where millions of Dems and Independents stomped their feet and stayed home on election day, and the horrifying realization that America is a very fertile racist Trump zone, that so many idiots are complaining about Joe Biden! He was the ONLY candidate who ran with widespread cross-country support of the primary electorate who is currently AHEAD OF TRUMP by TEN POINTS in our current hellscape, and is the overwhelming favorite to stop America from sliding into an Fascist Authoritarian shit hole! You're all still harping and whining about far less electable candidates like Pete B. and the guaranteed to lose by a landslide "Ethnic Identity Movement" candidate Elizabeth Warren! Insane.

Why the fuck can't Dems just get the job done and win first without dreaming of shooting themselves in the foot to savor another feel-good loss?

by Anonymousreply 177October 11, 2020 5:55 PM

Lets have a song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178October 11, 2020 6:04 PM

I think they bought a second home in Michigan to be closer to Chasten's family (and not have to crash at the parents' house) BUT also to open up Pete's political possibilities. Pete would be much more successful running for governor of Michigan than of Indiana. He'll likely be in a Biden admin but will probably run for something (maybe president again, but not necessarily) afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 179October 11, 2020 6:21 PM

travers City is a beautiful area

by Anonymousreply 180October 11, 2020 6:44 PM

Leelanau would be heaven on earth were it not for the mosquitoes.

by Anonymousreply 181October 11, 2020 9:41 PM

[quote]I think they bought a second home in Michigan to be closer to Chasten's family

Big mistake. Huuuuge mistake.

'Yoo-hoooo! Just stopped by drop off your...Oh my!"

"MAMA, PLEASE! I am having a moment with my HUSBAND, will you kindly go wait in the living room!? Can you do that, mama? Can you do that for me? I don't think I need to remind you that Pete has been working hard for our little family and the little precious time we get alone is very valuable to our stable marriage! Mama, I am a grown man with grown man needs, mama! Needs you will never understand and needs I do not feel I should have to explain to you or anyone else! We are love in love, mama! Real love with real love desires! Carnal desires, mama! Carnal desires that sweep prodigiously from the bottom of my very soul to my husband, my husband mama, in my marriage bed that rattles and shudders and bursts forth like a new day! Now, go, mama! Go! And just put that laundry right there on the chair, thanks."

by Anonymousreply 182October 11, 2020 10:11 PM

The Datalounge does not pay by the word r182.

by Anonymousreply 183October 11, 2020 10:13 PM

Sorry, r183, I always get a little wordy after I watch Cat On A Hot Roof.

by Anonymousreply 184October 11, 2020 10:24 PM

*Hot Tin Roof

by Anonymousreply 185October 11, 2020 10:25 PM

Holy fuck, a Tennessee Williams wannabe is invading the buttigieg threads.

Buttigieg seems to like Gershwin and like read Steinbeck, not so sure about you’re literary tropes though

by Anonymousreply 186October 11, 2020 11:44 PM

Pete rocks!

by Anonymousreply 187October 11, 2020 11:52 PM

He loves rock and roll

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188October 12, 2020 2:05 AM

Pete needs to retain an outside-Beltway appeal. People don't trust Beltway induders like the political party pros, long time congressmen, and their lobbyists.

He won't need to make a choice when Trump wins, as seems likely.

by Anonymousreply 189October 12, 2020 2:10 AM

get her, Pete!

by Anonymousreply 190October 12, 2020 2:42 AM

[QUOTE] He won't need to make a choice when Trump wins, as seems likely.

Likely? Really?

by Anonymousreply 191October 12, 2020 3:01 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 192October 12, 2020 3:03 AM

[quote]I think he'll be President someday. AOC will be his Bernie in the primaries.

I doubt that, Pete was a big, BIG Bernie fan before he decided to run for office. He just moved to the center for this election cycle because he is a smart guy and could see the handwriting on the wall if you wanted to beat Trump.

It's actually the first time in my life I have seen so many Republican leave the party and bake a democrat in 60 years.

by Anonymousreply 193October 12, 2020 7:05 AM

[quote]so many Republican leave the party and bake a democrat

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 194October 12, 2020 7:51 AM

^Back^

by Anonymousreply 195October 12, 2020 7:58 AM

Thank God, R195. The last thing we need is for Trump to hear Biden is baked.

by Anonymousreply 196October 12, 2020 8:24 AM

[quote] People don't trust Beltway induders

Fun fact; Back in my pre-PC school days that’s what gays were called: induders.

by Anonymousreply 197October 12, 2020 12:07 PM

what the fuck is an induder?

by Anonymousreply 198October 12, 2020 1:08 PM

It was a typo.

by Anonymousreply 199October 12, 2020 5:40 PM

what the fuck was it supposed to be? inducer? Includer?

by Anonymousreply 200October 12, 2020 7:42 PM

Intruders

by Anonymousreply 201October 12, 2020 8:22 PM

Indukers?

Inlurkers?

by Anonymousreply 202October 12, 2020 11:26 PM

Insiders.

by Anonymousreply 203October 12, 2020 11:30 PM

R193, you Bernie Bros' relationship with the truth is that like that of the Deplorables. He wrote an award winning essay about Bernie Sanders when he was 18 and in high school. While he is liberal, his views are much more practical than Bernie's. He is NOT a huge Bernie fan as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 204October 13, 2020 2:04 AM

I need to see bernie and Pete go at it, ass to face, 69, flip-flop fucks.

by Anonymousreply 205October 13, 2020 2:14 AM

[quote]We could have had him instead of Biden.

Let it go, Elsa.

by Anonymousreply 206October 13, 2020 3:53 AM

LA Times column today (not sure why it's in the Entertainment and Arts section.)

[quote]Column: Make way for Slayer Pete. Buttigieg is the Biden campaign’s ruthless secret weapon

Mayor Pete has found his format: the five-minute, remote-feed evisceration.

He always looks so nice, Pete Buttigieg — handsome in that white, Midwestern, college yearbook way, with a smile that seems bucktoothed but isn’t and those perfectly, and apparently naturally, arched eyebrows.

Last year, as we got to know him during the Democratic presidential nomination race, he bore the weight of being the first openly gay presidential candidate easily, as if it was no big deal. Sure, it takes a certain level of, shall we say, personal confidence to imagine that going from mayor of South Bend, Ind., to the White House is a possible career trajectory, but his was a quiet, respectful confidence, befitting a Rhodes scholar and a Naval intelligence officer.

So maybe it should not be surprising to discover that when Buttigieg swore to do whatever he could to ensure the election of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, that “whatever” turned out to include “speak softly and carry a sling blade.”

Last week, having served as stand-in for Vice President Mike Pence during Harris’ debate prep, Buttigieg must have seemed a natural choice for a predebate interview. Fox News’ Martha MacCallum and Bret Baier certainly thought so, asking Harris’ former rival a preloaded question about her public policy differences with Biden. Standing in front of Kingsbury Hall in Salt Lake City, Buttigieg gave his now viral-famous answer:

“Well, there’s a classic parlor game of trying to find a little bit of daylight between running mates,” Buttigieg said. “And if people want to play that game, we could look into why an evangelical Christian like Mike Pence wants to be on a ticket with the president caught with a porn star, or how he feels about the immigration policy that he called ‘unconstitutional’ before he decided to team up with Donald Trump.”

Cue stunned silence in the studio and the sound of a kajillion social media posts.

Steve Doocy must have missed the segment and the tweets because he had Buttigieg on “Fox and Friends” the next morning. When asked a question about President Trump refusing to participate in a virtual debate, Mayor Pete answered: “I don’t know why you’d want to be in a room with other people if you were contagious with a deadly disease, if you care about other people. But maybe the president of the United States doesn’t care about other people.” (continued)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207October 13, 2020 4:45 AM

Later in the interview, when Buttigieg brought up the president’s denigration of fallen American soldiers, Doocy, having learned nothing even from his very own interview, interrupted to insist the president had denied those reports. Buttigieg let him down easy with a classic “If you really believe the president now on this kind of stuff,” he said. “I’ve got a bridge to sell you.”

Then, during an MSNBC interview on Sunday, Buttigieg followed a touching response to National Coming Out Day with a calm, cool and collected shredding of Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett’s just-made opening statement ahead of her confirmation hearings. “This is what nominees do. They write the most seemingly unobjectionable, dry stuff,” Buttigieg said. “But really what I see in there is a pathway to judicial activism cloaked in judicial humility.”

Then he launched into a soliloquy that evoked the award-winning play “What the Constitution Means to Me.”

“At the end of the day, rights in this country have been expanded because courts have understood what the true meaning of the letter of the law and the spirit of the constitution is,” he said. “That is not about time traveling yourself back to the 18th century and subjecting yourself to the same prejudices and limitations as the people who write these words. The Constitution is a living document because the English language is a living language. And you need to have some readiness to understand that in order to serve on the court in a way that will actually make life better.”

He went on to add that even the founding fathers — the guys that these “dead-hand originalists claim fidelity to” — understood the importance of changing with the times.

It’s tough to make a term like “dead-hand originalist” go viral, but Buttigieg pulled it off — and from the comfort of his irritatingly immaculate kitchen, no less.

Certainly, he’s come a long way since April, when Room Rater gave him a 4/10 for a “Morning Joe” interview conducted in front of a bookshelf with a highly regrettable haircut. “Pete on the dangers of cutting one’s own hair,” the arbiter of work-from-home backgrounds tweeted.

Now, with his quarantine buzz cut ‘n’ beard grown back and gone, respectively, Mayor Pete is scoring nothing but perfect 10s, at least on liberal social media, which just last night circulated his 2019 answer to questions about late-term abortions, often with grateful weeping emojis.

The Biden/Harris campaign, naturally, has expressed gratitude for Buttigieg’s high-visibility support (on top of everything else, he does a mean Mike Pence impersonation), and it would be wise for them to continue to do so. It is easier for candidate supporters to offer lacerating commentary than it is for the candidates themselves — that’s why every candidate has a coterie of surrogates. But it’s hard to think of one who has been quite as effective, particularly during a news cycle that threatens to be overrun by the president’s reaction — physical, political and psychological — to his COVID-19 diagnosis.

Never mind the Room Rater score; during the Democratic primary race, Buttigieg was often dinged for seeming dull, intellectual and, frankly, a bit nerdy. Even then, this was pretty hilarious, given the fact that he was not only the first openly gay presidential candidate but also the first openly gay presidential candidate who saw active service in the military.

Now it’s even more hilarious and, frankly, a bit startling because now we know better. Now we know that what lies behind that white shirt, dark tie and “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington” face is not a policy wonk but a rhetorical assassin. With a loving husband, a really nice kitchen and deadly aim.

So, as Lin-Manuel Miranda (of whom Buttigieg and his husband, Chasten, are fans) asked in “Hamilton,” what do we think, “Treasury or State?”

by Anonymousreply 208October 13, 2020 4:46 AM

earrings or caftans?

by Anonymousreply 209October 13, 2020 1:33 PM

What's amazing about the response to Mayor Pete's evisceration is how amazed everyone is at it. Democrats should always respond to Republicans like this, especialy given the vicious but lame-brained responses Republicans have always given to Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 210October 14, 2020 12:35 AM

[quote]He. Does. Not. Have. Enough. Of. A. POLITICAL. RESUME.

And what was the extent of Trump's political resume before he was elected President of the United States? Of course, he turned out to be an unparalleled disaster, but I don't think that's what we're discussing here. We're discussing what makes a candidate electable or not.

P.S. It's extremely annoying that you typed your comment with all those periods it as if to make all of us stupid people "understand" something you think is terribly obvious. It's also highly ironic, since your point is actually pointless.

by Anonymousreply 211October 14, 2020 12:56 AM

Beautiful Buttigieg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212October 14, 2020 9:25 AM

More on the same line r212.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213October 14, 2020 12:23 PM

This is a great interview with mayor Pete.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214October 19, 2020 6:28 PM

Pete does it again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215October 23, 2020 12:18 AM

r215, you beat me to it! PETE SLAYS AGAIN, FOX LEFT SPEECHLESS. Will they never learn? lol Boy, those Fox dummy tried so hard so hard but our Petey shut them down. It was exhilarating to watch. Pete's gonna get some tonight.

by Anonymousreply 216October 23, 2020 12:34 AM

You can see that anchor's soul dying as he's mentioning Biden's business deals. He knows Pete's about to destroy him on this, but he HAS to mention Joe's "shady dealings" for the Faux viewers.

by Anonymousreply 217October 23, 2020 12:41 AM

I think there will be a place in Biden's cabinet for Mayor Pete, but I would hope he'd consider running for the House (or the Senate)

by Anonymousreply 218October 23, 2020 1:14 AM

The world is his oyster as they used to say. He has so many options and his whole life ahead of him. Being closer to an elder gay in age, this gives me hope for the future that I might just have to stick around to see how far he goes.

by Anonymousreply 219October 23, 2020 10:57 AM

Pete stumps for Joe and handles a Trumptard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220October 29, 2020 1:28 AM

They're creating a new cabinet position for Pete: Secretary of Shade-Throwing.

by Anonymousreply 221October 29, 2020 1:30 AM

That pete deserves an award.

by Anonymousreply 222October 29, 2020 2:26 AM

Pete for President 2024! 🥇✌

by Anonymousreply 223October 29, 2020 2:37 AM

Once more, with feeling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224November 3, 2020 1:54 AM

What I've heard is that if Biden wins, Pete will likely be named UN Ambassador, because he knows languages and he's generally a good communicator.

by Anonymousreply 225November 3, 2020 2:30 AM

R225, where did you hear that? I’m genuinely happy for him, he’s literally living the American Dream as only a genius could. He deserves it, he is a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 226November 3, 2020 2:55 AM

They're creating the new cabinet position of Secretary of Throwing Shade for Pete.

by Anonymousreply 227November 3, 2020 4:00 AM

Great interview at R224. Pete's becoming one of my favorite Dems.

by Anonymousreply 228November 6, 2020 4:44 AM

Chronically overrated along with Mrs. Harris.

by Anonymousreply 229November 6, 2020 4:46 AM

Chasten's hole is due for hard pounding tonight!

by Anonymousreply 230November 7, 2020 3:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!