Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Roxane Gay and followers are TRIGGERED by men wearing shorts!

I have no idea what their problem is. Men wear shorts all the time in my country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191January 3, 2021 10:46 PM

Roxane, shorts are something men wear when it's warm and usually they are skinny or fit. That's probably why you don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 1October 9, 2020 2:37 AM

I'm EXHAUSTED by seeing them! I am so tired can barely bring myself to waddle over to the freezer to shove another gallon of ice cream down my throat!

by Anonymousreply 2October 9, 2020 2:47 AM

Who is she, who was she, who does she hope to be?

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2020 2:48 AM

Yeah, this is a really weird one, what is she insinuating is behind us wearing shorts?

I wear 'em when it's too hot to wear trousers (which is a lot in my country), and I'll admit, I work fucking hard at the gym on my legs, and if I feel good out and about in my shorts showing off my thighs and bum, that's my business.

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2020 2:50 AM

She's just SO TIRED of this. Why are they doing this to her?

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2020 2:58 AM

Ignore this fat black lesbo

She just wants attention

And you, OP, are wasting our time

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2020 3:03 AM

Microaggressions everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2020 3:08 AM

She's miserable and hates absolutely everything.

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2020 3:33 AM

Ain't that the truth! And then, hating on men wearing shorts is next level! It's so... like, huh?!

by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2020 3:35 AM

Shorts-shaming! Oh, Roxane.

Seriously, she'd be EXHAUSTED by the fatphobia if someone suggested women the size of manatees might not want to wear shorts.

by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2020 3:41 AM

I'm counting down to the moment where she deletes this tweet and posts another claiming exhaustion over everyone else misunderstanding her. Like the other 1042 times.

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2020 3:58 AM

Her pinned tweet:

"I will say it again. My tweets are not meant to be universal. They will not or cannot account for every reality. if something I say doesn;t include or apply to you that doesn't invalidate your truth."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2020 4:05 AM

How do you think Roxane airs out her cooter?

by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2020 4:09 AM

She's probably referring to men wearing them in October in NYC. It was a high of 63 yesterday and only 70 today.

Not really shorts weather.

by Anonymousreply 14October 9, 2020 4:23 AM

Anything over 62° F and I’ll be in shorts. This bitch would be horrified at how short my shorts are that I wore today.

by Anonymousreply 15October 9, 2020 4:30 AM

Horton hears a.....who?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 9, 2020 4:33 AM

She lives in Southern California for crying out loud. Shorts central.

Who the fuck is her audience?

by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2020 4:38 AM

Roxxxxxxxxane...you don't have to put on that red dress...

by Anonymousreply 18October 9, 2020 4:41 AM

R12, that is exactly right. Very transparent as to why she's pinned that tweet.

I don't get why she's held in such high esteem with her writing, all her arguments are like that, written so she can have it her own way. I read her article on Charlie Hebdo from a few years back. Talk about a whole lot of wasted space saying nothing. Or at least, you could tell she dearly wanted to criticise Charlie Hebdo but spent the whole time going back and forth about how she was all "Je ne suis pas Charlie" but of course people shouldn't be killed, but of course people can be offended, but of course there's nuance etc. It ended up being an article completely about nothing.

by Anonymousreply 19October 9, 2020 4:45 AM

R18, apparently Madonna sang that at Roxane when Roxane went to interview her. Roxane "exhaled. This was familiar territory".

by Anonymousreply 20October 9, 2020 4:49 AM

She's the size of a goddamn whale!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 9, 2020 4:51 AM

i THINK THE POINT IS, Maries, men are wearing shorts in cold weather for no reason other than to look like tough machos who is afraid of no cold, but it looks ridiculous to her.

by Anonymousreply 22October 9, 2020 4:56 AM

I think the point is Roxane should spend more time worrying about herself than how other people choose to live.

by Anonymousreply 23October 9, 2020 5:09 AM

It's fascinating that just a few tweets before she says SHE is wearing shorts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 9, 2020 5:13 AM

The thought of Roxane Gay in shorts.... *shudders*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 9, 2020 5:14 AM

Oh my god R24, that's a great find! And so typical of her, hahaha!

The comments underneath her complaints about shorts are even weirder. All these women saying how "infuriating" it is to see men wear shorts and how they "hate" it... my god, turn that around and have a group of men dictating what women should be wearing and when and maybe they'll understand how they sound.

by Anonymousreply 26October 9, 2020 5:16 AM

What the hell is wrong with men wearing shorts? Why are some women "infuriated" by that?

by Anonymousreply 27October 9, 2020 5:18 AM

I thought str8 women love to see sexy male legs.

by Anonymousreply 28October 9, 2020 5:21 AM

^My straight female friends do. As do I. I have no idea what is wrong with these Twitter bitches. Infuriated is such a weird feeling to have about what others are wearing.

by Anonymousreply 29October 9, 2020 5:23 AM

Dykes are so humorless and joyless.

by Anonymousreply 30October 9, 2020 5:38 AM

People like Roxane and her followers are so used to rolling their eyes and snarking on things that I think it becomes their first response to everything now.

I'm just still cracking up over her talking about wearing shorts herself and then a mere FIVE hours later is all: "what's up with wearing shorts?" 😂😂😂 It's just... [italic]so[/italic] her!

by Anonymousreply 31October 9, 2020 5:41 AM

She would be fucking old enough to remember the 1970's when shorts were generally crutch length. Silly old bag.

by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2020 5:43 AM

[quote] I thought str8 women love to see sexy male legs.

She's not str8.

by Anonymousreply 33October 9, 2020 5:44 AM

As if she can talk - why isn't she wearing sleeves down to her hands to hide those hideous tattoo's on her arms?

by Anonymousreply 34October 9, 2020 5:45 AM

I wear shorts all year long. I don’t know exactly why. I guess I just don’t see the point in changing to warmer clothes when I’m only walking from my house to the fucking car. I bring a light jacket, though!

Also, if there’s snow on the ground, the bottom of your pants might get wet and gross. No risk of that with shorts unless you slip and fall on your ass.

It’s certainly not to prove I’m macho. How the fuck would I fool anybody with my “Macho shorts” when I’m wearing a Golden Girls shirt along with it?

by Anonymousreply 35October 9, 2020 5:48 AM

I think I'd like to be your friend R35 :)

I was born on an island which is pretty cold for about 7-8 months of the year. Many men there wear shorts all year round. I didn't, but I did wear a t-shirt all year round. When you grow up in an environment like that your body is more used to it, plus as R35 says, often you're only outside briefly anyway.

by Anonymousreply 36October 9, 2020 5:50 AM

She's just upset our legs are less hairy than hers.

by Anonymousreply 37October 9, 2020 5:56 AM

I'm triggered by straight women in short shorts. I fear that I may see a camel toe. Or have nightmares of a camel toe. Or see a standing camel not parked in a camelot. Or seeing a revival of Camelot.

I'm sure in some country in the middle east, she can be traded in for a camel. My question, is it one hump or two?

by Anonymousreply 38October 9, 2020 6:28 AM

Not that long ago she told someone "Oh shut up if you can't have fun."

She is the literal embodiment of the phrase: "Do as I say, not as I do."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 9, 2020 6:41 AM

She sure thinks about men a lot for a dyke. All dykes do actually - it's weird.

by Anonymousreply 40October 9, 2020 6:50 AM

So, is she a lesbian then? I had the idea she was bisexual. I know she's with a woman now, but hasn't she spoken a lot in the past how she easily she can "pull dick"?

by Anonymousreply 41October 9, 2020 6:59 AM

Bisexual, apparently. She had a thing (or claimed to have a thing) for Channing Tatum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 9, 2020 7:52 AM

She's just jealous that the men she sees can expose skin without whaling captains yelling "Thar she blows!" and trying to harpoon them.

by Anonymousreply 43October 9, 2020 8:10 AM

Ahh yes, I remember the Channing Tatum thing too, though wasn't sure if that was serious or more like Rosie O'Donnell's Tom Cruise thingy.

There's definitely got to be something like jealousy or other deep-seated issues that cause her to have problems with men wearing shorts. Frankly, half the stuff that exhausts her is kinda petty. Like her acting like well-intentioned people who want to help her out are somehow attacking her. "I don't need advice!" over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 44October 9, 2020 10:08 AM

Didn't she mean because it's already cold in NY?

by Anonymousreply 45October 9, 2020 10:16 AM

She's not in NY, she's in LA

by Anonymousreply 46October 9, 2020 10:18 AM

It doesn't really matter where she means, in my opinion. She should mind her own business, [italic]particularly[/italic] as she wrote not that long before that [italic]she[/italic] was wearing shorts. Let's turn it around on her, what was [italic]she[/italic] trying to prove?

by Anonymousreply 47October 9, 2020 10:19 AM

Wait, she’s in LA? Well, now this REALLY makes no fucking sense. Of course everyone is wearing shorts. What the hell were they wearing before, bitch?

I think she just wanted to appeal to her army of joyless lesbians and remembered that it’s now cold in some parts of the country.

by Anonymousreply 48October 9, 2020 10:30 AM

I think Army of Joyless Lesbians is going to be my band name.

Or maybe we could just be The Killjoy Kunts?

by Anonymousreply 49October 9, 2020 10:37 AM

Wearing shorts is the the manspreading.

by Anonymousreply 50October 9, 2020 10:45 AM

WHY IS ROSEANNE GAY TRYING TO KINK SHAME ME FOR WEARING MY KINK FETISH RUBBER SHORTS IN PUBLIC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 9, 2020 11:04 AM

Go back to Mumsnet, R51.

by Anonymousreply 52October 9, 2020 11:06 AM

[quote]Roxane Gay and followers are TRIGGERED by men wearing shorts!

Definitely triggered here.

by Anonymousreply 53October 9, 2020 11:15 AM

Tired of this woman directing everything toward herself. Grow the fuck up and deal with your neuroses. The world is not responsible for your myriad of unresolved issues.

by Anonymousreply 54October 9, 2020 11:24 AM

Exactly right R54, unfortunately she's made a career out of it, so I guess she won't be stopping any time soon.

Which is a pity, not just for the rest of us, but for her own sense of peace and happiness too.

by Anonymousreply 55October 9, 2020 11:27 AM

Haha, OK, so this response is from one of us in this thread, isn't it?

[quote]The thought of Roxane Gay in shorts.... *shudders*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 9, 2020 11:33 AM

From the context it seems it's about people wearing season-inappropriate clothing R4, but "people who wear shorts in the fall and winter" is a dried-up old topic so I don't know why she brought it up. It's like complaining about airline food.

And here it's been over 90 degrees during the day for most of the week. I dunno, she just complains about stupid basic shit all the time, I don't get what the deal is. She looks and acts like a cranky 50-something Midwestern mom but no one wants to admit it.

by Anonymousreply 57October 9, 2020 11:35 AM

Has anyone replied "OK Karen" to her yet?

by Anonymousreply 58October 9, 2020 11:37 AM

[quote]Wait, she’s in LA? Well, now this REALLY makes no fucking sense. Of course everyone is wearing shorts. What the hell were they wearing before, bitch?

Well, most people in comments were talking about the weather, and I notice she said NOTHING in response to any of them, so who even the fuck knows what she was talking about. Just random complaining I guess.

by Anonymousreply 59October 9, 2020 11:37 AM

A day where she can complain about something is a good day for ol' Roxane. I am just perplexed at how many people think these things she says are worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 60October 9, 2020 11:41 AM

She's prickly. I can't stand her temper. She's so unkind to fawning Twitter followers. There's no winning with her.

by Anonymousreply 61October 9, 2020 4:24 PM

This is a uniquely Twitter thing like how you can tell someone is gay if they're drinking iced coffee in the middle of winter or everyone in California going online as soon as there's an earthquake to tweet that there was an earthquake.

You have to be on there quite a bit to get it and it's a recurring theme that appears occasionally.

She's most likely saying, and her followers get it because again this is a Twitter thing, she thinks it's too cold (wherever she is) to wear shorts.

by Anonymousreply 62October 9, 2020 4:33 PM

Where would it be too cold for that given the amount of insulation she has installed? McMurdo Station, Antarctica?

by Anonymousreply 63October 9, 2020 7:37 PM

R14, thank you so much for defining shorts weather to us. Which other of your criteria should we blindly follow?

by Anonymousreply 64October 9, 2020 7:44 PM

Eat your heart out, Roxane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 9, 2020 7:48 PM

It’s LITERALLY rape!

by Anonymousreply 66October 9, 2020 7:52 PM

When she started, she was a new voice with some reasonably interesting observations, but she’s become a parody of herself. I don’t care what she looks like, but she has becoming an exhausting scold.

by Anonymousreply 67October 9, 2020 7:53 PM

People in the Northeast wear shorts in cold weather because our bodies have adapted to the cold and it doesn't bother us.

by Anonymousreply 68October 9, 2020 8:04 PM

R61 that's exactly what I've noticed too. She's so damn rude to people who look up to her. Maybe it's a lesson that they shouldn't revere others, but it's also just so unpleasant to see someone try and shame the people who like her over and over. And then there are her regular attempts at trying to ruin the careers of other people (nearly always white women) and then her pretense afterwards that she had nothing to do with that.

R67, I really wanted to like her when I first heard of her. Once I saw how not only she behaved, but how terrible her writing was, I couldn't believe how popular she is.

by Anonymousreply 69October 10, 2020 12:14 AM

Do you think roxane’s gf eats her ass?

by Anonymousreply 70October 10, 2020 12:46 AM

Thanks for that image, R70! 😂

by Anonymousreply 71October 10, 2020 1:09 AM

Roxane & Friends are always arguing against bigotry but it suddenly strikes me that they don't really seem to be that concerned with creating a fair and equitable society, rather they seem to want to invert society, to put themselves in the position where they can bully others like they have been bullied throughout life. That seems to be a plan that might bring them short-term satisfaction but isn't really going to help anyone in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 72October 10, 2020 1:16 AM

Being a giant fatass, you think she would get that some people run hot and wear lighter clothing even in colder weather.

by Anonymousreply 73October 10, 2020 1:43 AM

Roxane lives a very comfortable life in LA with her white wife who's in fashion. She's far from oppressed.

by Anonymousreply 74October 10, 2020 2:03 AM

She is tiring but some men are fucking idiotic about wearing shorts all year even after the temperature hits zero and the world is covered in snow and ice. It seems to have started 10-20 years ago. It's either a machismo thing or a lazy thing. Considering the types I see doing it, I'd say both.

by Anonymousreply 75October 10, 2020 2:03 AM

Shorts and flip-flops in the snow and freezing temperatures is weird and cause for comment.

People in Los Angeles wearing shorts year-round is not cause for comment.

by Anonymousreply 76October 10, 2020 2:25 AM

It's an exercise in branding. A brand that feeds off clicks and outrage. Don't give them attention.

by Anonymousreply 77October 10, 2020 2:29 AM

Get a sense of humor, OP--you know, like women have had to have forever.

by Anonymousreply 78October 10, 2020 2:30 AM

Honestly, I still don't get it. If I saw someone wearing summer clothes while it's cold, I might think: "gosh, aren't they cold?" but I wouldn't get "infuriated", talk about how much I "hate" it, call them "idiots" etc. Why let people upset you over something that doesn't affect you at all? I mean, one of the women commented underneath:

[quote]Whatever it is that makes them wear shorts and flip flops (gross) once it gets chilly. A misfiring of a neurotransmitter? It's infuriating and I hate it. I guess I don't have to look at it this year since I don't go anywhere. A benefit of lockdown. Less anger.

Why the hell does this make her angry?

by Anonymousreply 79October 10, 2020 2:31 AM

I see people wearing articles of clothing I don't approve of every single day but that's just life. I have more important shit to concentrate on than douchebag guys in Ed Hardy shirts and sports jerseys.

by Anonymousreply 80October 10, 2020 2:32 AM

I do have a sense of humour, R78. This whole thread came about because I think it's hilarious the lengths people like Roxane go to have something to complain about. Complaining about men wearing shorts? Especially after admitting you yourself are wearing shorts? I mean, that's funny!

by Anonymousreply 81October 10, 2020 2:35 AM

Because she's an angry person, r79, and she wants to feed that anger rather than try to have a better life.

by Anonymousreply 82October 10, 2020 2:35 AM

The only thing I could see causing anger about this is the decided increase in collective societal stupidity it represents.

by Anonymousreply 83October 10, 2020 3:07 AM

THAT'S NOT FUNNY!!!

by Anonymousreply 84October 10, 2020 3:10 AM

Side note, that elephant in the pic is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 85October 10, 2020 3:15 AM

R82 sums it up perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 86October 10, 2020 5:28 AM

Roxane! You don’t have to put on the red light!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 10, 2020 5:31 AM

Men breathing on planet earth will set off alarm bells for her—she's a feminist who is secretly obsessed with/jealous of masculinity, and presents herself in a way that makes it transparently obvious.

by Anonymousreply 88October 10, 2020 5:46 AM

I think it's hilarious how triggered all of you are by her. Pot. Kettle. And all that.

by Anonymousreply 89October 10, 2020 5:53 AM

No one's triggered by her. We're just trying to work out what she's on about and having a laugh along the way.

by Anonymousreply 90October 10, 2020 6:00 AM

Sure, R90. Sure. This thread is the epitome of hilarious hypocrisy. And, I don't even like her.

by Anonymousreply 91October 10, 2020 6:03 AM

Eh, arguing "both sides do it" is just a lazy way to try and discredit people's opinions, as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 92October 10, 2020 6:06 AM

You think calling out hypocrisy is the equivalent of bothsiderism, R92? Try again. As if this thread is filled with deep, well thought out analysis. Like I said, hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 93October 10, 2020 6:11 AM

There's no hypocrisy here. 😊 But I do think you're displaying the kind of argument worthy of a Roxane Gay twitter post yourself.

by Anonymousreply 94October 10, 2020 6:31 AM

Who the hell cares whether someone wears shorts or not? What a strange thing to concern yourself with.

by Anonymousreply 95October 10, 2020 6:35 AM

I know, right? This is just one example too. Awhile ago she seemed to find the idea of white men dancing to be quite threatening as well.

by Anonymousreply 96October 10, 2020 6:37 AM

[quote]Who the hell cares whether someone wears shorts or not? What a strange thing to concern yourself with.

A friend of mine once ranted on and on about a man disrespecting her by showing up to a date wearing cargo shorts. In New Orleans, in the Summer. I think they were meeting in an open air cafe, not the symphony orchestra. It was quite the eye-opener, as I hadn't encountered any shallow or entitled behavior from her prior to that.

by Anonymousreply 97October 10, 2020 7:28 AM

R94, triggered by men wearing shorts vs. triggered by someone commenting on men wearing shorts. There are more posts here now than responses to her tweet. Maybe you should look up the definition of hypocrisy, especially the hilarious kind. Face it, you all are acting worse than she is in the exact same way you're attacking her for, by being idiotically childish and reactionary to something innocuous.

by Anonymousreply 98October 10, 2020 7:24 PM

We're just snarking on her there's a difference. We just think she's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 99October 10, 2020 8:28 PM

The funniest thing is I am sure she fancies herself an Intellectual.

by Anonymousreply 100October 10, 2020 8:36 PM

Exactly, R99 😊.

I'm always mystified by people who see others having fun and want to come shit all over it, but oh, well! Guess it takes all types to make the world spin.

Oh, I'm sure she does too, R100! The weirdest thing is so many people seem to be encouraging this idea too. But take a look at any of her arguments, they are so poorly constructed, and several times I've heard her state something at the beginning of the hour that she has completely contradicted by the end.

I know she's not very popular in Australia, despite being invited out here enough times, after she dismissed statistics on how high the suicide rate is here amongst men with a snarky: "We don't have to worry about men, they'll be fine."

by Anonymousreply 101October 10, 2020 11:05 PM

It's even more hilarious that some of you can't see that you care more about her making a comment on men wearing shorts in the cold than she seemingly actually cares about men wearing shorts in the cold. Keep being you, MRAs.

by Anonymousreply 102October 11, 2020 12:29 AM

Speaking of things about Roxane that make me laugh, she's created a new vote poster, nice big picture of herself and "Vote however you want." written on it. That's, uh, kinda the idea, Roxane.

She's so innovative! 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103October 11, 2020 12:33 AM

r102 it's about Roxane being a miserable, joyless scold. Unfortunately in the current cultural climate she passes as an intellectual.

by Anonymousreply 104October 11, 2020 12:35 AM

R103, I think Roxane's next annoying post is about people using unnecessary emojis.

by Anonymousreply 105October 11, 2020 12:41 AM

She undermines her supposed intellectualism each time she tries to compare what's going on now to Peronist Argentina.

by Anonymousreply 106October 11, 2020 12:46 AM

She's above criticism because she checks a lot of boxes that are fashionable right now.

by Anonymousreply 107October 11, 2020 12:54 AM

I don't get it. 73° in LA, it is unheard of? I have seen a few style people on twitter be totally anti-shorts but that could be different.

by Anonymousreply 108October 11, 2020 12:56 AM

I sadly suspect what R107 says does explain a lot of her success. Inviting her on to a panel would make lazy organisers out there think they've done their job in providing diversity. Her actual thoughts are certainly nothing to write home about.

Yeah, R108, it's really perplexing all up!

by Anonymousreply 109October 11, 2020 12:59 AM

I still laugh when I remember that she once described herself as "a capable reader and understander of words" after she tried to square up to Stephen King.

by Anonymousreply 110October 11, 2020 12:13 PM

I live in the northeast and wear shorts all year round when I can unless its really cold. As a poster upthread explained, its so much more comfortable and free feeling, especially for driving, and you are only exposed to the cold briefly when going from your house to the car, car to a store, etc. Its worth a few seconds of cold to feel more comfortable overall, to me at least.

I couldn't care less if it impresses or repels anyone, its 100% about what feels comfortable for me. Its ironic that anyone would twist this choice into trying to prove something to others as opposed to realizing that most doing it actually give way less fucks about that than those who don't. Only a bizarre person with serious issues would view it that way.

by Anonymousreply 111October 11, 2020 12:44 PM

black women are cold all the time, which is why in a 75 degree office you’ll see them with space heaters, putting on shawls, wearing their coats and scarves, and reducing their productivity by about 80% as they put their heads down and pretend to be shivering. It’s a micro aggression to say “it’s freaking HOT in here” in front of them. So OF COURSE this fat black cow is going to go public decrying men in shorts. And of course, she really means WHITE men. Because black men’s shorts look like pants, they go down past the calves.

by Anonymousreply 112October 11, 2020 12:59 PM

It's surprising R112 was able to type with the hood falling down over his eyes like that.

by Anonymousreply 113October 11, 2020 1:02 PM

[quote]black women are cold all the time, which is why in a 75 degree office you’ll see them with space heaters, putting on shawls, wearing their coats and scarves, and reducing their productivity by about 80% as they put their heads down and pretend to be shivering.

Caroline Criado Perez covered this in Invisible Women.

[quote]Most offices, we learn, are five degrees too cold for women, because the formula to determine their temperature was developed in the 1960s based on the metabolic resting rate of a 40-year-old, 70kg man

I don't want to poke the trans trolls here, but there really is a general biological difference between men and women when it comes to temperature comfort.

As someone who worked with women most of my life, I'm usually outvoted and I can be found sat in a room sweating, fans on, head in my hands feeling like I'm about to faint because it's too hot.

by Anonymousreply 114October 11, 2020 1:07 PM

I am NOT a Person of Trans.

I am a non-pigmented Person of Penis.

by Anonymousreply 115October 11, 2020 1:37 PM

She is who you would get if Bill Cosby and Phylicia Rashad had a real life child - sanctimonious and entitled. There’s also not much depth to her (intellectually, of course). While at Yale she proudly proclaimed that her dream was to write Harlequin type romance novels. Somehow she got a platform and now thinks she is a voice.

by Anonymousreply 116October 11, 2020 2:00 PM

She only gets triggered because she can’t fit into them herself.

by Anonymousreply 117October 11, 2020 3:57 PM

Women are so sensitive to cold that they get chills just looking at someone who isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 118October 11, 2020 4:03 PM

If there’s ever another DL ad made, that photo of Gay has to be included!

by Anonymousreply 119October 11, 2020 4:09 PM

Which photo is that, R119? The one on her vote poster? Or the one she uses for her Twitter, with the pink elephant?

(or is it that one she's always putting out there with her rolling her eyes and her head in her hands, as though she's - to quote another poster here - a delightful imp?).

by Anonymousreply 120October 11, 2020 10:44 PM

Someone on Twitter just pretty much summed Roxane up perfectly in a response to one of her tweets:

"You're very good at being a shit person who thinks of themselves as a good person."

by Anonymousreply 121October 11, 2020 10:45 PM

She never got her degree from Yale. She dropped out, and had to finish it (and received her undergraduate degree from) Vermont College of Norwich University.

by Anonymousreply 122October 11, 2020 10:54 PM

Oh that's interesting R122, I wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 123October 11, 2020 11:02 PM

according to her Wikipedia she dropped out of Yale go chase a woman across the country, and settled down elsewhere and that’s where she finished her undergrad.

by Anonymousreply 124October 12, 2020 1:46 AM

^Sounds more like she couldn't hack Yale, if anything. But I shouldn't assume.

by Anonymousreply 125October 12, 2020 1:47 AM

well, yeah R125. That goes without saying. She got her undergrad and post grad degrees at some no name technical university.

by Anonymousreply 126October 12, 2020 3:17 AM

Exactly R126. I also seem to remember another poster on here saying once that they knew people who had worked alongside her and she's kind of considered a joke by other academics. Something about her having not very good credentials and them feeling like she got by more on checking those boxes as mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 127October 12, 2020 4:07 AM

She is considered a joke by academics, but it would be career suicide to publicly lambast her in the current woke climate.

by Anonymousreply 128October 12, 2020 4:34 AM

That's unfortunate. I mean, I wouldn't want people attacking her based on things like appearance or stuff like that, but criticising the things she says is something that should happen.

by Anonymousreply 129October 12, 2020 4:37 AM

Roxane had a privileged childhood. Her parents are wealthy sent her to Phillips Exeter but she tries to downplay that she grew up with money.

by Anonymousreply 130October 12, 2020 4:41 AM

I wonder why? She already had a horrific thing happen to her as a teenager, I wouldn't think you'd want to be any more of a victim than that.

by Anonymousreply 131October 12, 2020 11:21 AM

why she got that dark patch on her face though?

by Anonymousreply 132October 12, 2020 1:50 PM

Diabetes related, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 133October 12, 2020 8:40 PM

Haha, oh dear, someone responded to her pinned tweet (see R12) with:

[quote]TRUTH is TRUTH. Something is either true, or it is false. There is no such thing as “your truth” or “my truth”!

Which caused Roxane to explode:

[quote]Oh shut the fuck up

All those men in shorts have made her even more short-tempered of late than usual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 13, 2020 9:15 AM

It's Roxane's birthday today! Gal pal Randa Jarrar has celebrated by posting a photo of Roxane standing next to a pyramid.

Would Roxane like a nice big pair of shorts for her birthday, perhaps?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 15, 2020 9:29 PM

That’s a good reminder that only black folx should be allowed to stand next to the pyramids. They belong to THEM.

and Cleopatra was black!

by Anonymousreply 136October 16, 2020 12:47 PM

^Timely, what with the whole Cleopatra brouhaha this week, into which the above Ms Jarrar involved herself and subsequently got seriously called out on.

by Anonymousreply 137October 16, 2020 12:51 PM

Slave labor built the pyramids (unless it was aliens). Aren’t they “problematic?”

by Anonymousreply 138October 16, 2020 1:23 PM

no, because it was blacks enslaving blacks.

also, it wasn’t all slave labor, I believe they’ve found evidence that the workers were paid in money, grain, beer, and had housing.

by Anonymousreply 139October 16, 2020 1:25 PM

A pyramid is the only thing to come close to matching Roxane's "majestic beauty"? God, some of these so-called writers love their purple prose.

by Anonymousreply 140October 16, 2020 9:16 PM

Perhaps the writer measures majestic beauty in gross tonnage?

by Anonymousreply 141October 16, 2020 10:13 PM

I feel like a cunt saying it, but my thoughts on why she is always being photographed next to elephants and pyramids are less than charitable.

by Anonymousreply 142October 16, 2020 10:38 PM

[quote]I feel like a cunt saying it, but my thoughts on why she is always being photographed next to elephants and pyramids are less than charitable.

Spare a thought for us, too.

by Anonymousreply 143October 17, 2020 5:28 AM

Who is Tressie McMillan Cottom meant to be? She and Roxane seemed to be joined at the hip when it comes to being horrible to people on Twitter. Seriously, the two of them need help. They are so angry! Some guy a little while back apparently privately messaged Tressie because she had a photo up with information in it that would affect her security and he wanted to let her know, She and Roxane decided to take it public, blasting him all over Twitter for "threatening" her safety. Even after he came back and apologised and said it wasn't his intention, he just noticed she had inadvertently given out some secure details about herself and wanted to help, they kept screaming that he was threatening her life and getting their followers to attack him too. I just... what is wrong with people?

by Anonymousreply 144October 24, 2020 8:58 PM

Roxane and her followers are seriously unpleasant people. Roxane is talking about some clothing brand and one woman innocently asks a question about the working conditions in their factories as she had heard bad things about them, and everyone attacks her. Roxane has already attacked and then deleted her comments, as she is wont to do, but the others... sheesh! The one respondent who writes: "apparently she hit a nerve" is spot on, and I wish I knew what Roxane had responded, but she deleted it, so I'm guess it was pretty nasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145October 29, 2020 7:59 PM

Liberal fat women who are black and/or gay behave like they have a monopoly on righteousness, and when they manage to grow a following around themselves on Twitter, their followers absorb that attitude. If Roxane Gay endorses a brand, then that is good enough to establish it as moral and unproblematic in the eyes of her followers, and any attempt to inquire her on her endorsements are to be dismissed as performative, especially when the skepticism comes from a man or from a skinny white woman who doesn't look "queer".

by Anonymousreply 146October 29, 2020 8:15 PM

I think you're spot on there R146. I hate all this stuff, as someone who is on the Left myself. I've also noticed Roxane is starting to even turn on gay people when they're men, now.

What's funny is that the woman who asked is herself plus-sized, as she points out they can only see her face, so they are prejudging her. I love how one of the women is telling her off for 'assholism' by using the nastiest language herself! Actually, a lot of these followers don't seem too tightly held together.

Why Roxane has a following at all, I struggle to see. She is constantly snapping at the people who like her. I also regularly see people who post that she has blocked them, and they show the Tweet responsible and it's 9 times out of 10 innocuous.

by Anonymousreply 147October 29, 2020 8:26 PM

She's not even a lesbian, she only claims to be "Queer" when she wants to criticise actual lesbians, and gay men, she thinks it gives her a free pass to be a homophobic POS. And whenever she has been called out she always uses the black card as her go-to defence.🙄

by Anonymousreply 148October 29, 2020 9:44 PM

Oh! I was under the impression she was married to a woman? I know she was going on and on about Channing Tatum for awhile there...

by Anonymousreply 149October 29, 2020 10:05 PM

She’s too ugly not to be a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 150October 29, 2020 10:07 PM

All the lesbians I know are cool, fun women with a great sense of humour.

Therefore Roxane Gay surely doesn't qualify as one.

by Anonymousreply 151October 29, 2020 10:33 PM

Good god, with the number of times this woman tweets something and then deletes it, you'd think maybe she'd learn and just think for a few minutes before pressing send.

by Anonymousreply 152October 29, 2020 11:58 PM

Today she's considering a new nemesis. How old is she, exactly? And why do all her followers think this is such an amazing thing?

Those who've said above that she just wants to be upset about things, are correct. What a weird thing to waste your time on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 30, 2020 9:22 PM

Ugly as sin.

by Anonymousreply 154October 30, 2020 9:37 PM

It’s probably the feminine hygiene sprays that don’t work r153

by Anonymousreply 155October 31, 2020 1:23 AM

According to an article she wrote once, it's very important for people to have nemeses (Roxane has 10!). In true Gay style, she tries to have it every way - she makes it sound like it's all a joke and something deadly serious at the same time. It doesn't make a lot of sense; she's constantly checking in on people she's envious of and wishing things would go wrong in their lives and acting like this is a positive thing, rather than just, you know, getting on with her own life. I suppose it ties in to her own "Bad Feminist" philosophy, that we're all imperfect, but I guess I can't understand why people want to languish in that, rather than try and be better, if not just for the improvement of their [italic]own[/italic] lives. It's especially weird coming from someone who's always lecturing others to "do better".

Hearing Roxane explain herself always has her going around in circles, claiming she's everything and nothing at the same time. Why people think she's good at what she does, I have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 156October 31, 2020 1:46 AM

Book of Roxanne Gay essays on nighstand

by Anonymousreply 157October 31, 2020 7:42 AM

To be honest, people of more credibility than Roxane (Nietzsche, for example) have already said that same thing on the subject, that having enemies is necessary to sharpen instincts and intellects, and that a life without confrontation easily falls into mediocrity. It is also believed that much of Homo sapiens' fantastic brain development was the result of environmental pressures resulting from war.

by Anonymousreply 158October 31, 2020 8:04 AM

To be honest, people of more credibility than Roxane (Nietzsche, for example) have already said that same thing on the subject, that having enemies is necessary to sharpen instincts and intellects, and that a life without confrontation easily falls into mediocrity. It is also believed that much of Homo sapiens' fantastic brain development was the result of environmental pressures resulting from war.

by Anonymousreply 159October 31, 2020 8:04 AM

[quote] All the lesbians I know are cool, fun women with a great sense of humour.

Huh.

We must have a different species where I live.

by Anonymousreply 160October 31, 2020 8:10 AM

Tom Ford possessed her. Cunt pulls that shit all the time. If it wasn’t for that lovely hair on the back of his hands, I’d disown him...possessing lesbians...just like you to abuse family, Tom...shame! Perhaps he’ll get her to cut down on the beer.

by Anonymousreply 161October 31, 2020 8:24 AM

Interesting R158! Wasn't it Nietschze who also talked about if you stare into the abyss long enough, the abyss stares back into you. I think Roxane's been staring a little too long.

by Anonymousreply 162October 31, 2020 9:05 AM

(Pressed post before checking my spelling of Nietzsche, whoops!)

by Anonymousreply 163October 31, 2020 9:06 AM

What clothing does she favor? Tents?

by Anonymousreply 164October 31, 2020 2:52 PM

R164, she's obsessed with something called Ivy Park at the moment. I think it's a clothing brand for bigger women.

by Anonymousreply 165November 11, 2020 10:10 PM

Her "Work Friend" column today in The New York Times -- "I’m Tired of Babysitting Man-Babies at Work" was crazy-level EXHAUSTED:

[quote]First, who cares if your male colleague agrees with your assessment of his behavior? Get it together! He does not get to dictate reality in ways that enable his nonsense.

[quote]You have to work actively to make sure that you and the women you work with are not disproportionately responsible for administrative and emotional labor.

[quote]Explain to your boss what you do, and how your expertise enables that work. Make clear that you are a professional and you and your work product deserve to be respected as such. If that doesn’t work, ask him if a student or an intern can do his job. One probably could, but that’s neither here nor there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166November 14, 2020 12:54 AM

LOL, she's is becoming a parody of herself. "Emotional labor", hahaha!

Also, if you look at her replies on Twitter, she is ramping up the nastiness. The way she speaks to other people! She really is only happy when miserable.

by Anonymousreply 167November 14, 2020 1:11 AM

I've been suspicious of this woman's arguments for awhile now - that they aren't always based in fact and that she grasps at straws to find things problematic - but I'm completely convinced now that her opinions on things are shit after getting bored this weekend and watching the first four or five episodes of Insatiable. This is that show she ripped to pieces in a review, calling it 'damaging'. My god; like it, hate it, be indifferent to it, whatever you want, but she is so off the mark with the show that either she is lying when she says she watched it all, or she made up her mind on it straight away and refused to look at it for what it is. It's over the top, knowingly camp, and very silly. It's not 'damaging'. She attempts to make all these serious arguments that are irrelevant to the tone of the show - basically arguing it fails to be the show it never intends to be - to cover up the fact she clearly just hates that the main character started off fat and got thin.

Plus, it's a typical Roxane special of an article: "Fine, whatever, do you what you like, it's not a problem, except here are all the ways it is a problem, but if you like it, fine, whatever, do what you like..." and so on.

by Anonymousreply 168November 14, 2020 11:07 PM

I can't believe you gays obsess about this woman and everything she says. Who the HELL is she? I don't know and I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 169November 15, 2020 12:03 AM

^Normally I might think to myself in response "why comment on a thread if you're not interested?", but I'm also a total and utter whore and seeing the letters USMC just make me hard and liable to forgive anything, so... as you were.

by Anonymousreply 170November 15, 2020 12:16 AM

R170, good response. I read all threads...but some are ridiculous. Still...wish a guy like you could visit me tonight.

by Anonymousreply 171November 15, 2020 12:25 AM

So do I, R171. Boy, do I right at this moment.

by Anonymousreply 172November 15, 2020 12:27 AM

R172, where u at? I hope you're not a twink.

by Anonymousreply 173November 15, 2020 12:42 AM

Left the twink bracket a couple of years ago now ;). I'm in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 174November 15, 2020 12:45 AM

Australia? I was just there pre-COVID. Favorite place was TAS. Next time, invite me over, ok?

by Anonymousreply 175November 15, 2020 12:51 AM

Roxane would be triggered by this interaction.

by Anonymousreply 176November 15, 2020 12:53 AM

Dude, I moved to Tas just before covid!

Come back when you can - you'll be more that welcome, anytime ;)

(R176, I was just thinking that actually haha)

by Anonymousreply 177November 15, 2020 12:54 AM

^more THAN welcome, I meant, obviously. Less blood rushing around the brain area at the moment, you see. ;)

by Anonymousreply 178November 15, 2020 12:55 AM

Good. This thread has gotten hotter. I stayed in Hobart (Battery Point) but drove/hiked all over the island for six weeks. You in Hobart? Let's meet up next time.

by Anonymousreply 179November 15, 2020 1:02 AM

Grand! Yep, am in Hobart, not too far from Battery Point, actually. Then again, nothing's too far here... :) Sounds like you've seen more of the state than I have!

Sounds great, am up for that!

by Anonymousreply 180November 15, 2020 1:04 AM

Ok, cool. I have a couple of "friends" who are players with the Hobart Hurricanes. LOL. So I'll be there again next year. In the meantime, watch for me on DL.

by Anonymousreply 181November 15, 2020 1:12 AM

Will do! And interesting! I didn't know that about any of the Hurricanes, but it doesn't surprise me either, of course. I've made a few "friendships" with a couple of the coaches of certain sports teams here myself.

Hope to welcome you back to our beautiful state soon!

by Anonymousreply 182November 15, 2020 1:15 AM

Gurl, bye!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183November 16, 2020 2:15 AM

So, when men wear shorts in cool weather, they are "trying to prove" something. When Roxane wears shorts in the middle of winter, she is "living [her] fullest truth". Good to know.

[quote]Got some Birkenstock clogs. With my cargo shorts I am now ready to live my fullest truth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184January 3, 2021 11:02 AM

her pussy MUST stink

by Anonymousreply 185January 3, 2021 5:09 PM

Was there ever any doubt R185?

by Anonymousreply 186January 3, 2021 8:40 PM

I’m an academic and teach gender studies ;along with my primary discipline) and I have to say Roxane Gay exhausts me. I tried reading one of her books and quit after half an hour—not because it was difficult, but because it was trite, unoriginal, and worst, boring. There are far better people writing in race, gender, body, and intersectionality. That she writes shallow and self-obsessed drivel is the secret of her success.

by Anonymousreply 187January 3, 2021 9:18 PM

Being an obese "queer" black woman is also the secret of her success. She's very in fashion right now.

by Anonymousreply 188January 3, 2021 10:24 PM

I live in New England and men and women have been wearing shorts in the winter here for a long time. We're just accustomed to cold weather and it doesn't bother us. It's no big secret.

by Anonymousreply 189January 3, 2021 10:25 PM

r168 I find it so ridiculous when people get foaming at the mouth over some stupid tv show to begin with, but also because it's like they apparently think it's like the old days when there were four networks and everybody watched the same shows. All of America is not tuning into the same shows anymore, those days are long gone. So what if somebody finds some tv show offensive, 99% of the population hasn't watched it anyway. There are way too many choices now for everyone to be on the same page.

by Anonymousreply 190January 3, 2021 10:28 PM

R187 thank you for your reply, I'm very interested in hearing from academics on their opinion on the quality of Gay's writing. I feel like I have so many questions for you! I've not read a book of hers so far, but I have seen her interviewed on television quite a few times. Is she as wishy-washy with her arguments in her books as she appears on TV? I notice that often she'll be arguing a point at the beginning of the hour and then arguing the opposite point by the end of her appearance without seeming to realise it, and always with the same exhausted, I-shouldn't-have-to-keep-saying-this type tone. I remember when she was out here and she started off saying women shouldn't have to make any decisions in their life based on what men think of it, and an hour later was saying women shouldn't be involved in the "free the nipple" campaign because of how they would be viewed by men.

I struggle to understand why she is so lauded. A lot of the stuff I've heard her say is down right incorrect, and she's an incredible hypocrite too.

by Anonymousreply 191January 3, 2021 10:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!