Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Michelle Branch?

One of her songs just came on a playlist for songs in the 00s, and I forgot about her. She had a brief moment where she became big with a few hits, then her next album was a big hit for her. After that Santana picked her to sing the lead single for his next album, the song was a hit and got a few Grammy nominations, and then after that she vanished.

WTF happened? I used to like her style a lot, and I love her song Breathe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 10, 2020 4:21 AM

She's no longer everywhere, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2020 2:02 AM

I thought she took time off to get married and raise a family.

by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2020 2:07 AM

r2 I do remember her getting married and having a kid. I guess that time off was not a joke.

After her 2003 album, which peaked at #2, she didn't release another album until 2017, 14 years later. She should not have taken time off right after making it

by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2020 2:11 AM

No - she didn't like the direction the record company was trying to put her in. She had a band with another girl called the wreckers. She ended up just making music for herself.

by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2020 2:12 AM

Didn't she become a carpet muncher?

by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2020 2:13 AM

She released a new song a few years ago that was pretty good. I don't think it found mainstream successful though, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 6October 6, 2020 2:15 AM

*success^^

by Anonymousreply 7October 6, 2020 2:15 AM

Loved this song by the Wreckers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 6, 2020 2:16 AM

She went on to live her life as she wanted.

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2020 2:19 AM

Was she the one with the Big Black Horse and the Cherry Tree song or the one about being a Bitch?

by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2020 2:21 AM

r10 She was the one with the song about being a criminal, I think.

by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2020 2:23 AM

R10 Neither. But I can't remember the names of those singers.

by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2020 2:24 AM

She's the one with the Big Black Key, r10.

She's no Chrissy Teigen but she does give it a half-assed try now and then.

[quote]here’s me at my most feminine and vulnerable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2020 2:24 AM

She fingered herself to death!

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2020 2:26 AM

Since Instagram photos don't show up and there's nothing DL loves more than a woman draining her milkbags for likes, here you go:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2020 2:26 AM

Did she make that much money at the height of her career to "retire" so young? I'm always curious what people do for money when they're not at the top of the charts anymore.

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2020 2:27 AM

I was surprised to hear she's married with kids because I always got a strong lezzie vibe from her. Her husband looks dorky as fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 6, 2020 2:29 AM

Maybe she was the one who wasn’t going to write you a love song?

by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2020 2:30 AM

R16 ummm many make a lot while at the top but not always.

But I’ve seen some of you ask stupid questions about some celebs who made millions. How do they make money? They don’t need to, they have millions.

by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2020 2:30 AM

I always found her very naturally pretty

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2020 2:31 AM

When I was programming radio in Los Angeles, Michelle Branch came into our studio a complete unknown with her guitar in hand. She was cute and personable. I can still see her holding her guitar by the neck walking out of my office. Right after her first single broke.

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2020 2:32 AM

I can’t her first song is almost 20 years old. Time just flies by so fast!

by Anonymousreply 22October 6, 2020 2:34 AM

Michelle, you in danger, girl!

[quote] [Patrick Carney's mother had] called to leave him the number of domestic court judges and divorce attorneys. "If you get a dissolution it will only take 90 days and if she's difficult, something like nine months. Well, that's it. Off to a girls' night out! Love ya! Bye!" [ ... ] I can still hear the chipper tone of her voice in my head -- the nasal, Midwestern perkiness. It still makes my stomach turn to think of how complicit she was in all of it and how easy she made it seem to dispose of me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 6, 2020 2:40 AM

What do you mean WHET her? Do you really think her elevator music is going to be played on radio when smut like WAP is what goes to number 1 on the charts?

by Anonymousreply 24October 6, 2020 2:57 AM

I know, she the one who did that song about being Bubbly, right?

by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2020 3:00 AM

Are you sure she isn't the one with the commercial and song about abused animals flying away in the arms of the angels?

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2020 3:10 AM

I always liked her music. I feel like Michelle got confused with Vanessa Carlton alot though.

by Anonymousreply 27October 6, 2020 7:06 AM

Yes, she did get confused with Vanessa Carlton back then. Vanessa was the piano player and Michelle played guitar. I liked Vanessa's music a lot more than Michelle's. Come to think of it, I can't recall the title of a single Michelle Branch song.

by Anonymousreply 28October 6, 2020 7:42 AM

Carlton, she I remember, she had the song about a million miles, or was it thousand miles.

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2020 8:25 AM

I got her mixed up with Michelle Shocked.

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2020 8:51 AM

Branch and Carlton came at the same time

by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2020 8:53 AM

R29 A Thousand

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 6, 2020 9:03 AM

r15 That image is gross af.

The dude she's married to is Patrick Carney of the Black Keys.

by Anonymousreply 33October 6, 2020 9:12 AM

I would walk a thousand miles

And I would walk a thousand more

Just to the be the gal who walked two thousand miles to fall down at your door

Do I remember right that Michelle Branch and Vanessa Carlton were the twin sisters who sang that song? They both have very strong accents for Americans.

by Anonymousreply 34October 6, 2020 9:28 AM

Carlton sucked

by Anonymousreply 35October 6, 2020 1:00 PM

So, do we ever find out what happened to her?

by Anonymousreply 36October 6, 2020 1:14 PM

I always associate her with Avril Lavigne and Vanessa Carlton. I wouldn't say she ever released a single as catchy as "Complicated" or "A Thousand Miles".

by Anonymousreply 37October 6, 2020 1:14 PM

Avril is nothing like those other two

by Anonymousreply 38October 6, 2020 1:16 PM

Branch was more Rock than those other girls- Here the first album was a huge success - with two hits The spirit room was a success followed up by Hotel Paper. She was signed to Madonna's Maverick records. All you wanted, and Everywhere were mainstream hits. Breath and Are You Happy Now were hits off her second album which debuted at #2.

by Anonymousreply 39October 6, 2020 1:26 PM

She went the way of all those other "pop-rock" chicks of the early/mid 00s--she dissapeared. She never could compete with the likes of Avril.

by Anonymousreply 40October 6, 2020 1:29 PM

LOL Vanessa Carlton. As referenced in the movie White Chicks, "1000 miles" is the whitest song from the 00s.

by Anonymousreply 41October 6, 2020 1:31 PM

It's still catchy and memorable though R41. I can't for the life of me remember the melody to a single Michelle Branch song.

by Anonymousreply 42October 6, 2020 2:51 PM

R42 I can. Everywhere and All You Wanted are songs that get stuck in your head

by Anonymousreply 43October 6, 2020 2:53 PM

All You Wanted

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 6, 2020 2:55 PM

r17 That is one hideous man. Truly next level ugly. He is in the Black Keys, so he has a lot of money. Michelle is no looker but did she have to marry a monster?

by Anonymousreply 45October 6, 2020 3:12 PM

They used "You Get Me" off of the Spirit Room for the theme of that Sorority reality show on MTV -

by Anonymousreply 46October 6, 2020 3:30 PM

Was Delta Goodrem popular in the US? She was sort of the Australian Vanessa Carlton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 6, 2020 3:52 PM

she should have lasted longer, her voice was much stronger than Vanessa Carlton and more authentic than Avril Lavigne.

Stevie Nicks took Branch and Carlton under her wing, but Carlton is the only one who stayed in Stevie’s team.

by Anonymousreply 48October 6, 2020 4:54 PM

Although I like some of Vanessa Carlton's songs, her voice is so grating. Cutesy and whiny at the same time. Michelle is the better vocalist, although she does sound a bit shrill at times, especially in the verses of "All You Wanted".

by Anonymousreply 49October 6, 2020 5:03 PM

That Salon article linked upthread is nuts. His ex-wife sounds unhinged and obviously regretful that she gave up her gravy train. Dumb bitch!

by Anonymousreply 50October 6, 2020 5:31 PM

r47 nope we don't know Delta.

by Anonymousreply 51October 6, 2020 5:44 PM

I live in the States and never heard of her R47, but that's a nice song you posted.

by Anonymousreply 52October 6, 2020 10:39 PM

Has she been found yet?

by Anonymousreply 53October 6, 2020 10:41 PM

Michelle's timeless music lives on in many, many Gap and GapKids In-Store Playlists from 2002, 2003, 2004...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 6, 2020 10:42 PM

She lost her popularity after they used her song in "White Chicks".

by Anonymousreply 55October 6, 2020 11:06 PM

R55, thank god for that movie, I heard that song NONSTOP on the radio, maybe more than any other song I remember.

by Anonymousreply 56October 6, 2020 11:07 PM

[Quote] Was Delta Goodrem popular in the US? She was sort of the Australian Vanessa Carlton.

Nope. She tried to by dating Nick Jonas. But now she's mainly known as a judge on The Voice.

[Quote] Although I like some of Vanessa Carlton's songs, her voice is so grating. Cutesy and whiny at the same time.

Which is ironic because alot of her songs are quite dark.

by Anonymousreply 57October 7, 2020 12:50 AM

[Quote] She lost her popularity after they used her song in "White Chicks".

As demonstrated at R32 by Terry Crews.

by Anonymousreply 58October 7, 2020 3:51 AM

I’ve never quite understood MsMojo or why I get recommend their videos, but they did a WHET video on Carlton. It seems like she could never quite get it together and maybe should have stuck to dance. Did did come out as bi, but what is she doing in Nashville?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 7, 2020 4:03 AM

My angsty teenage self loved "Something to Sleep To"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 8, 2020 12:36 PM

One of my favorite singer songwriters of all time. I bought Hotel Paper first week back in 2003. I was lambasted by other dudes for listening to "white girl music", but whatever man, Michelle ROCKS!!

by Anonymousreply 61October 8, 2020 1:24 PM

Has she been found? Can she star as the mom in Evan Hansen maybe for a comeback? Is there an opportunity for Colbie Calle too?

by Anonymousreply 62October 8, 2020 3:16 PM

I listened to Hotel Paper recently. This woman is a legit talent and I hate that Avril Lavigne, Vanessa Carlton and Ashlee Simpson are more fondly remembered than her. Michelle is honestly more comparable to Alicia Keys or Corrine Bailey Rae, a talented singer-songwriter.

by Anonymousreply 63November 19, 2020 2:51 PM

I really loved her albums 'The Spirit Room' and 'Hotel Paper' but never heard anything else from her - makes sense if she took a massive break from the industry after the last album, as it's very difficult to break back into the zeitgeist after so long away unless you are truly a household name which I don't think she ever was.

She performs 'Goodbye to You' at the Bronze in the episode of Buffy that Tara leaves Willow and that was my first exposure to her, but her songs were used a lot in TV around that time. I am pretty sure one of her tracks was in Sex and the City too.

by Anonymousreply 64November 19, 2020 3:20 PM

[Quote] and I hate that Avril Lavigne, Vanessa Carlton and Ashlee Simpson are more fondly remembered than her.

Avril and Ashlee were bigger names. But i thought Michelle was more popular than Vanessa and had more commercial hits.

by Anonymousreply 65November 20, 2020 6:37 AM

OMG that black keys guy is sooooooo ugly. And I read he was abusive. Good luck girl!

by Anonymousreply 66November 20, 2020 7:20 AM

Even in Michelle’s own thread, Vanessa is more popular

by Anonymousreply 67November 20, 2020 11:43 AM

R67, not really Lisa, it's just that Michelle always mentioned alongside Avril Lavigne and Vanessa Carlton, because they were three girls making guitar/piano music at the same time in history.

Avril was bigger than both of them squared, though. Her debut, Let Go, sold 20 million copies worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 68November 20, 2020 11:54 AM

About 6 or 7 years back, a local radio station here in VA hosted a meet and greet with Michelle and her guitarist, Nick, prior to an acoustic afternoon show. She was gorgeous in person, and very personable and engaging. The show was great. Huge fan.

by Anonymousreply 69November 20, 2020 12:59 PM

Which one fucked around with the lead singer of Third Eye Blond when she was a teen and he was well off into his later 30’s? Branch or Carlton (so interchangeable TBH) The Black Keys guy is not one you create life with, that’s where the gene pool needed to end like David Crosby. They have musical talent but they’re HIDEOUS so why do that to an innocent child?

by Anonymousreply 70November 20, 2020 1:56 PM

Even though Avril is bigger. Her music didn't age well and her early stuff sounds exactly like some corporate heads got together and said "let's make a pop/skate punk version of Britney Spears".

by Anonymousreply 71November 20, 2020 2:00 PM

R71. that's probably exactly what happened. I saw clips of Avril before she was famous, she was singing shitty ballads. Apparently Avril was a nightmare to work with in her younger years. Maybe that's why she declined a lot between 2004 and 2007.

by Anonymousreply 72November 20, 2020 10:48 PM

I like this one Avril song, her second album was probably her best. Her early singles like "Sk8r Boi" and "Complicated" make me cringe so much now even nostalgia can't save them for me. "Girlfriend" was just Mickey by Toni Basil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 20, 2020 11:10 PM

She shoehorned her way into Stevie Nicks' inner circle a la Eve Harrington.

by Anonymousreply 74November 20, 2020 11:15 PM

My bad -- that was the other one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 20, 2020 11:16 PM

[Quote] Even though Avril is bigger. Her music didn't age well and her early stuff sounds exactly like some corporate heads got together and said "let's make a pop/skate punk version of Britney Spears".

I disagree, i think her first two albums still hold up. Tomorrow, I'm With You, Naked, My Happy Ending, Take Me Away and Don't Tell Me just to name a few.

by Anonymousreply 76November 20, 2020 11:16 PM

This song was supposedly about Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 20, 2020 11:23 PM

Never really liked her solo stuff, but I loved "Leave the Pieces" that she did with The Wreckers.

by Anonymousreply 78November 20, 2020 11:26 PM

R77 that reminds me how much I hate Sheryl Crow and I'm glad she faded out of popularity thanks to her association with Lance Armstrong.

by Anonymousreply 79November 20, 2020 11:45 PM

I liked Michelle’s latest record ‘Hopeless Romantic’ a LOT actually.

by Anonymousreply 80November 21, 2020 12:03 AM

Goddamn, I forgot how grating Sheryl Crowe's voice is. She owes her career to Don Henley, doesn't she?

by Anonymousreply 81December 1, 2020 7:04 PM

Crow kicked off her career as a backup singer for Michael Jackson actually.

by Anonymousreply 82December 2, 2020 4:42 AM

Avril released a recent song about the fight against COVID.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 9, 2020 9:59 PM

[quote] Crow kicked off her career as a backup singer for Michael Jackson actually.

AND I hate her even more now

by Anonymousreply 84December 9, 2020 10:17 PM

R81 She was born in November... 1963... the day Aldous Huxley died....

by Anonymousreply 85December 10, 2020 4:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!