Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Words in other languages that sound and/or look funny or obscene in English (or vice versa)

The Dutch word "kunt" is the third-person form of the verb "kunnen," which means the same as "can" (to be able to) in English. To further confuse things, "kont" in Dutch translates as "ass".

The English conjuction "as" or "like" can, in Romanian, be translated as "precum".

The Finnish word for "bag" is "pussi."

I'm sure you cunning linguists can come up with more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 3, 2022 12:46 AM

Fahrt is German for ride (noun).

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2020 10:58 PM

Focal- Irish means “word”.,pronounced fuck-al.

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2020 11:02 PM

That pic is hilarious, OP!

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2020 11:06 PM

Is this what Datalounge has descended to?

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2020 11:07 PM

"How" in Romanian is "cum".

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2020 11:16 PM

For Arabic speakers the names Nick (= neek = fuck) and Paul (= bol = piss) tend to raise a smile. Tease’ in English sounds pretty much the same as the Arabic for ‘arse’, and ‘I was’/‘you were’ sounds similar to ‘cunt’, though it’s more like ‘coont’.

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2020 11:17 PM

I remember the first time I heard a Dutch person say "kijk" (= look) I thought they were saying the derogatory word for Jews.

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2020 11:20 PM

In Brussels - as elsewhere in Belgium, where shops are only allowed to hold sales twice a year - many shops use English signage instead of going through the hassle of posting signs in two languages. So twice a year there are huge signs in all shop windows saying "SALE." Which means "dirty" in French.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2020 11:29 PM

I was at a corner bodega in Buenos Aires and stumbled across a box of tampons called Lips. It tickled me so. I brought a bakers dozen home as gag gifts.

by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2020 11:52 PM

Fuk is the same in any language

by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2020 12:00 AM

"Fokken" (the conjugated forms of which are "fok", "fokken", "fokt") means "to breed [animals]" in Dutch.

The Dutch word for "horses" is "paarden," which sounds just like "pardon" in English.

According to legend, President Kennedy was once at a gathering with some Dutch people, and he got to talking with one of them about his hobbies.

"I fok horses," said the Dutch man.

"Pardon?!" said JFK.

"Ja, paarden!" exclaimed the Dutchie.

by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2020 12:40 AM

There a high-end store in Uruguay called "Tits". I assume that it means something else in Spanish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2020 12:49 AM

A popular milk based beverage in Japan sounds like cow piss. Original spelling as Calpis, but changed recently for English speaking markets to Calpico.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2020 1:03 AM

R12 Tits! When am I gonna grow tits?

'Pet' in French means 'fart'; 'peter' means 'to fart.'

On the other hand, 'fart' in Swedish means 'speed.' You often see this on roadway signs (e.g., 'fartkontrol' which means 'speed check'). However, 'infart' means 'entrance.'

Lastly, Fucking is a village in Austria (see link).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 1, 2020 8:55 AM

Thailand is full of dirty sounding places - Bangcock, Phuket

by Anonymousreply 15November 1, 2020 9:12 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 1, 2020 9:14 AM

The Dutch word 'troep' (pronounced 'troop') means 'mess', 'junk'. Which sounds just like the Russian word for 'cadaver'. So if you made a mess in your bathtub, be careful how you phrase it.

Also, the German word 'Herr' means 'dick' in Russian.

by Anonymousreply 17November 1, 2020 9:20 AM

Phoque is French for a seal--the animal.

by Anonymousreply 18November 1, 2020 2:53 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 1, 2020 3:00 PM

The Welsh for "five" is "pump. However, the first letter mutates to a 'b' (because reasons) in some situations, and the final 'p' is usually omitted if there is another word. So "five to five" is "bum i bump".

The word for squash (the game) is "sboncen", with a hard 'c'.

by Anonymousreply 20November 1, 2020 3:03 PM

Oh, and how could I forget the word for "valley": cwm (w is pronounced as a short 'u')

by Anonymousreply 21November 1, 2020 3:05 PM

Pedo in Spanish = FART

by Anonymousreply 22November 1, 2020 3:16 PM

The Zürich airport is actually in the town of Kloten, so the airport is often referred to as simply “Kloten” airport.

“Kloten” is Dutch slang for “testicles.”

by Anonymousreply 23November 1, 2020 3:32 PM

There’s a town in Germany called Titz, and one in Belgium called Asse. Titz and Asse are about 200 km apart.

by Anonymousreply 24November 1, 2020 3:34 PM

'Cucina' sounds like young pussy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 1, 2020 3:35 PM

Swedish word for "the end". Here's the title card you can often see at the end of Swedish movies:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 1, 2020 3:37 PM

the airport in Calcutta used to be called Dum Dum

by Anonymousreply 27November 1, 2020 3:44 PM

Brazilian are amused by Payday candy bars, as "peidei" translates as "I farted".

And they refused to buy Ford Pintos in the 1970's since pinto means "little dick".

by Anonymousreply 28November 1, 2020 3:50 PM

The Maori Wh is pronounced F, as is the Dutch V.

Whakatani sounds like Fuck a Tani

And Vondelpark is Fondlepark (yes it is!)

by Anonymousreply 29November 1, 2020 3:51 PM

Car (spelt kar) means penis in Albanian.

by Anonymousreply 30November 1, 2020 3:52 PM

"Jussipussi" translates as "Smollethole" in Swedish.

by Anonymousreply 31November 1, 2020 3:54 PM

During the Gorbachev years, a hula troupe went on a goodwill tour to Russia. During one of their numbers, they yelled “HUI!” (which means, approximately, “social group” or “club” in Hawaiian) and encouraged the audience to do the same.

They couldn’t figure out why the audiences always giggled at that, until someone explained that “hui” is Russian slang for “dick.”

by Anonymousreply 32November 1, 2020 3:57 PM

R27 same with the Chevy Nova which means "No Go"

by Anonymousreply 33November 1, 2020 4:01 PM

I worked at a restaurant where we served penne alla vodka. One of the girls I worked with pronounced it "pene alla vodka". I tried correcting her and she said she pronounced it correctly. I finally told her "penne" is the pasta, "pene" is Italian for penis.

by Anonymousreply 34November 1, 2020 4:06 PM

my favorite so far is Swedish "Fahrtkontrol" signs along the highway

by Anonymousreply 35November 1, 2020 4:09 PM

Hey Siri

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 1, 2020 4:13 PM

R35 it's actually 'fartkontrol.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 1, 2020 4:15 PM

R14, that sign has been stolen ca 15 times by infantile British/American tourists who just can't resist. There is also a Movie "Bad Fucking", which in German means "Fucking Springs".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 1, 2020 4:17 PM

In Spanish, a tilde is the only difference between “año” (year) and “ano” (anus). If you write “yo tengo 25 anos,” you are actually saying that you have 25 anuses.

For this reason, the state of California is very careful to include the tilde on signs for Año Nuevo State Park.

by Anonymousreply 39November 1, 2020 4:30 PM

The Dutch have some hilarious names like Joke, Job (pronounced like the British slang term 'yob') and Ferry.

Job (pronounced as 'yob') means 'fuck' in Russian.

by Anonymousreply 40November 1, 2020 6:47 PM

[quote]Oh, and how could I forget the word for "valley": cwm (w is pronounced as a short 'u')

So that old Roddy McDowall movie would be "How Green Was My CUM?"

by Anonymousreply 41November 1, 2020 9:26 PM

"Volvo" sounds like "vulva":

"Volvo was named after the Latin word, “volvere,” meaning “to roll.” “Volvere” is the infinitive form of the verb – conjugated into the 1st person, it is “volvo,” ("I roll")."

by Anonymousreply 42November 1, 2020 11:57 PM

"Barf" means "snow" in Farsi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 2, 2020 6:40 PM

Not a different language, but fanny in the U.S. means butt and in the UK it's slang for pussy.

by Anonymousreply 44November 5, 2020 4:18 AM

The Rolls Royce Silver Mist had trouble attracting a luxury clientele in Germany, where the word "mist" is a term translating to "shit".

by Anonymousreply 45November 5, 2020 4:39 AM

Puerto Rico has some interesting ones. In Spain, *bicho* means bug/insect, but in PR it's slang for penis. Similarly, toto in PR is slang for vagina.

Elsewhere in the Spanish-speaking world, paloma means dove, but in Guatemala it's slang for penis.

by Anonymousreply 46November 5, 2020 5:16 AM

The old Al Jolson film "Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!" (score by Rodgers & Hart) had to be retitled "Hallelujah, I'm a Tramp!" for release in Great Britain and part of the title song reshot with a changed lyric.

by Anonymousreply 47November 5, 2020 7:38 AM

If you’ve got Alexa, ask what ‘Donald Trump Carrots 100’ is in Welsh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 5, 2020 8:31 AM

If you’ve got Alexa, ask what ‘Donald Trump Carrots 100’ is in Welsh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 5, 2020 8:31 AM

The Chinese word for "that" or simply "umm" sounds like the N word in English. It almost got Yao Ming into trouble in the locker room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 5, 2020 8:38 AM

Putin is a source of endless mirth in Bulgaria because his name means "Cuntin" (or "Cuntson" in English) in the language.

by Anonymousreply 51November 5, 2020 8:53 AM

R48 - oh yes, I forgot about moron! Growing up in Cardiff, it was a common school-yard insult to call someone "an absolute carrot".

by Anonymousreply 52November 5, 2020 9:00 AM

R26 Ha I remember that Swedish word! It was on Ellen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 5, 2020 9:04 AM

Also in Bulgarian, "kur" means "cock". In Russian, kur means "chickens" (plural). So it's always awkward to listen to Russians order in a restaurant.

"Yes, we'll have the cock, please."

by Anonymousreply 54November 5, 2020 9:06 AM

R54 'chickens' in Russian is 'tsyplyata'. Chicken as a dish is 'kuritsa'. 'Kur' doesn't mean anything.

by Anonymousreply 55November 5, 2020 9:21 AM

R55, really? Then what does "Ну ладно, дайте кур" mean? Цыплята is baby chicks.

by Anonymousreply 56November 5, 2020 9:51 AM

[quote]Oh, and how could I forget the word for "valley": cwm (w is pronounced as a short 'u')

Cwm of the Dolls starring sex kitten Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 57November 5, 2020 12:53 PM

R56 in your sentence 'kur' is the genitive case, plural form of 'kura'. The word 'kur' on its own does not exist and doesn't mean anything without a context.

by Anonymousreply 58November 5, 2020 1:11 PM

While we are on the subject of Russian and cum, the Spanish word 'concha' (shell) is a slang word for 'cum' in Russian.

by Anonymousreply 59November 5, 2020 1:15 PM

“Like, hi, I’m, like, a Cwm girl!”

by Anonymousreply 60November 5, 2020 1:24 PM

The Afrikaans word for side (as in, "The box has 4 sides"), is kant, pronounced as you'd probably imagine. The word for box "doos" is a common insult meaning cunt or pussy. Hence "the box has 4 sides" becomes "die doos het vier kante" or "the cunt has 4 cunts".

by Anonymousreply 61November 5, 2020 1:50 PM

I don't know whether this is true but I've read it a few times over the years.

Mara Maru is a noirish early '50s action adventure film starring Errol Flynn. He plays a salvage diver after WWII in Manila and gets involved with sunken treasure, murder and what not. The Mara Maru of the title is his boat, which is featured prominently in the action.

At any rate, Warner Bros, was horrified to find out after its release that in some Asian languages Mara Maru translates as Shit Boat. But being to cheap to recall the film from the affected regions and fix it right, Warners instead just issued new posters with a new title and then paid people to unspool the prints and manually scratch out the boat's name wherever it appeared.

by Anonymousreply 62November 5, 2020 10:58 PM

Faggots are meatballs in the U.K.

by Anonymousreply 63November 6, 2020 2:56 PM

^ Speaking of British English, "fag" means cigarette, "rubber" means eraser, and "trump" means fart.

by Anonymousreply 64November 7, 2020 11:06 AM

R64 and 'pants' refer to underpants.

by Anonymousreply 65November 7, 2020 11:25 AM

Coca Cola was originally translated as kedou kenla into Chinese, literally "tadpole chews wax."

by Anonymousreply 66November 7, 2020 11:37 AM

The English word cut is pronounced the same as the Dutch kut (cunt). English foot is close to the French foutre (fuck).

by Anonymousreply 67November 7, 2020 11:54 AM

To go with R63

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 8, 2020 4:26 AM

Alas... there will be no more Fucking in Austria.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 27, 2020 12:07 AM

Many years ago, I went to a TITS bar in Belgium.

by Anonymousreply 70November 27, 2020 12:12 AM

The Engrish website never disappoints.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 27, 2020 12:14 AM

This is the kind of thread I like - anything to do with languages and puns and stuff like that. And R11, that joke is right up my alley!

This picture always makes me smile. And reminds me of when I was in Berlin, and all my photos had that Die Welt balloon in them, but always turned in such a way that it just read: "Die".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 27, 2020 12:16 AM

And R26, your post reminded me of this.

At this station [italic]everyone[/italic] gets off!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 27, 2020 12:18 AM

German has a verb, “wanken”, which does not mean what you think it does.

by Anonymousreply 74November 27, 2020 12:19 AM

The infamous Egg Slut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 27, 2020 12:21 AM

Get your JIZZ on!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 27, 2020 12:22 AM

Just for awhile?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 27, 2020 12:23 AM

R65 - yes, while living in London, I announced to my office mates that I had "specially bought these pants to wear to work today", to their great amusement.

by Anonymousreply 78November 27, 2020 12:24 AM

Here's one between two languages that aren't English.

In Romanian, one way to say "kid" as in a child is to say "puşti". In Greek, a "pousti" is a poofter.

by Anonymousreply 79November 27, 2020 12:25 AM

Mmmm, I know what I'm having for Christmas dinner, Fried Spit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 27, 2020 12:27 AM

There was a highly-placed Dutch politician named Ruud Lubbers, whose name always sounded to me like another term for dirty songs.

Italian 'basta' means "enough."

And Latin 'anus' is "an old woman."

by Anonymousreply 81November 27, 2020 12:28 AM

Since town names are allowed. There's a town in France called Condom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 27, 2020 12:31 AM

The Danish word for a small seaside cliff is "clit"--it's a common place name. And so you also hear surnames like "Klitgaard" (a field adjacent to the small seaside cliff).

"Slut" means end/finished. "Fart" means speed. A slang term for penis is "pik," which just looks funny to me--if you want to call someone a cocksucker, you call them "pikslikker."

One of the first women I encountered in Denmark had the surname "Bitsch."

by Anonymousreply 83November 27, 2020 12:34 AM

The pause that refreshes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 27, 2020 12:39 AM

Lesbians take notice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 27, 2020 12:40 AM

Any takers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 27, 2020 12:41 AM

In India, English spelling can often be pretty fluid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 27, 2020 12:47 AM

R69 You'd think they would welcome the tourism.

by Anonymousreply 88November 27, 2020 9:57 AM

Fucking's new name Fugging sounds like a euphemism for fucking, anyway.

♪ An' we're gonna beat every last fuggin' gang on the whole fuggin' street!

On the whole fuggin' ever lovin' street! ♫

by Anonymousreply 89November 27, 2020 10:05 AM

I have a feeling this guy doesn't know what his shirt says.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 13, 2021 11:50 PM

r1: I was amused to find that the German version of The Big Trail (Raoul Walsh) is entitled "Die Grosse Fahrt" I'm easily amused I guess.

by Anonymousreply 91January 14, 2021 12:27 AM

What exactly is German Burger King trying to say here?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 3, 2022 12:35 AM

At one time my office recruited a bunch of secretaries from Ireland. They always talked about having so much crack at this or that party. We finally learned that in Ireland "crack" means "fun".

by Anonymousreply 93April 3, 2022 12:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!