Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coronation Street This Week!

Gail Knows A Secret, Leanne’s Discovery, Police Interrupt Wedding And More

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 7:49 AM

CORONATION STREET'S TODD GRIMSHAW RECAST FOLLOWING BRUNO LANGLEY SEX ASSAULT CONVICTION

The iconic gay character returns to the ITV soap this Friday, played by Gareth Pierce.

Coronation Street's iconic gay character Todd Grimshaw returns this week, but played by new actor Gareth Pierce - whose on-set family pics have replaced those of predecessor Bruno Langley.

Langley, who played Grimshaw on and off from 2000-17, was fired three years ago following an allegation of sexual assault. The actor later pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual assault and was sentenced to a twelve-month community order, forty days of rehabilitation activity, and made to sign the sex offenders register for five years.

Pierce appears in the role of Todd from Friday's episode (9 October 2020), three years after the character disappeared from the cobbles after assaulting a police officer.

But eagle-eyed viewers might have already spotted Pierce in the Grimshaws' front room.

Speaking to The Sun Online, he said: "The on-set family photos in the Grimshaws – all the Todd ones are from my childhood but mixed in with Ryan [Thomas]’s as Jason."

The star added: "So it oddly feels there’s brotherly connection even though we haven’t met."

Speaking to The Mirror about not copying Langley's performance, Pierce said: "Some of the qualities, some of the instincts that make me unique as an actor, that's what I've been employed to bring to the character now and so I don't want to get drawn into impersonation."

Langley was dropped from the show in 2017 after being convicted of sexual assault.

In 2003, he and fellow actor Adam Rickett (as Nick Tilsey) filmed the soap's first-ever gay kiss. It received 21 complaints to the Independent Television Commission.

“I’m thrilled to be joining such an iconic show"

Pierce is known for roles such as Lenny Mack in Sky 1's Stella and Gavin Moss in The Archers.

When his casting was announced, he said in a statement: “I’m thrilled to be joining such an iconic show, and to have been entrusted with taking Todd forward into some really exciting storylines. It’s an honour to be part of the dedicated Coronation Street team in such unprecedented times.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 7, 2020 5:01 PM

And your point is OP, apart from the fact that Bruno Langley used to be very cute?

by Anonymousreply 2October 7, 2020 5:17 PM

R2 - I'm not the OP; I didn't start this thread. I'm (the dreaded) R1. And there is no "point"; I posted the link simply because I know there are some fans of this show in this board. I searched and found this existing thread, as I didn't want to start a new one.

by Anonymousreply 3October 7, 2020 5:22 PM

[quote] I searched and found this existing thread, as I didn't want to start a new one.

A DL patriot!

by Anonymousreply 4October 7, 2020 5:30 PM

I’m over the Oliver the magical dying baby storyline AND Nick’s quirky NuKid.

by Anonymousreply 5October 7, 2020 6:07 PM

Gosh Eileen is so ugly.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 6:38 PM

Dame Maureen Lipman is terrific!

Who the fuck would hire Billy!?

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 7:25 PM

Sean Tully's son is coming back.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 8:59 PM

Eugh now we have to see more of Sean and his abysmal acting. And big Eileen too.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 7:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!